• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Miles X

Hate the new layout, stuff is really hard to find.

How do I find stuff/accessories/colours I've yet to unlock?

There seem to be less fight titles to aim for (after being reset no less) and the overall asthetic is giving me a headache.

Good thing the characters are badass though.

GTSweet

Neo Member
Hate the new layout, stuff is really hard to find.

How do I find stuff/accessories/colours I've yet to unlock?

There seem to be less fight titles to aim for (after being reset no less) and the overall asthetic is giving me a headache.

Good thing the characters are badass though.

They should all show up from under the "Store" mode, but they don't show up under your collections. My one minor complaint as well though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Very true, we have known for weeks. Actually fans have assumed what we will get since last Fall with all the "there will be a Season 2" talk. I believe there is a poll that was taken before Season 1 even came out to show what fans have requested the most. And yes, we did get returning cast and stage finishers. Two returning cast members (so far) and 1 stage finisher (so far). I know that things will be updated, but considering talk about Season 2 has been going since 2013, the lack of progress wasn't the best way to present the new season.

EDIT: Ah, found it!

Yeah, I remember that thing. But with the writing on the wall for MONTHS now, and the dev switch, I don't know who should have expected a more Jam-packed S2 at this date. I would have expected to follow the S1 model if DH was still working on it (4 to start, a few months break, more characters in the new year), since they would have become more efficient, but otherwise?

And I still don't know why anyone expects IG to be able to pick up on an engine immediately and make instant beauty. Keits is great, working on Capcom ports rocks, but they have so little pure game full dev-work under their belt...

Exactly. Like I was saying, fans have asked for stage finishers since the beginning. This seems like a quick way to go about doing it. Don't get me wrong, I think it is pretty cool, but the old games never had a particular button combination to execute a stage finisher.

I like the fact it takes a button combo, and that it's just the alt-button version of the ultra. Nice and organized. Not the vastly over-complex junk style commands that MK used for these things, and not as screen-region specific as the kills in Eternal Champions....

In the arcades, there was nothing cooler than doing a full out Ultra and the cherry on to would be to send somebody over the ledge. The animation is something else I agree with you on. It just doesn't feel like a whole lot of effort was put into something "cool" and rather made it something that was just "there". I dunno.
This...

...is more along the lines of what people expected/wanted.

I Wanna like how cheezy it is, to a degree (Campy and KI go hand in hand), but yeah... they just haven't hit it the right way yet. The current style just feels like it's all they could do given the time, and I actually don't mind them keeping that for this stage (with some improvements), I just hope they don't think this is strong enough to be the definite style that all Stage Ultras go by. A good "pit" should be fairly easy to get right, I hope. And we all wanna see Sadira's spider wrap someone up, and then suck them dry.

Same thing I'm afraid is going to happen to KI. I enjoy the game, don't get me wrong. Like I was saying though, I had the exact same experience playing it after I got Season 2 as I did before I got Season 2. I still stick with my main character, but everybody thought Season 2 was going to bring a ton of new things to the table. Again, stage finishers, possibly no mercys, and revamped old stages to have stage finishers on them that you'd kind of have to figure out how to trigger which would bring a new presentation of creativity to the game. I know, I know...the development cycle hit a snag. I'm not saying Iron Galaxy did a bad job or they can't do it right. I'm saying they should have taken their time and waited to release a fully realized presentation. It probably wasn't up to them, though. Silver lining here is that they show promise!

I guess a lot of it is a matter of perspective. My big concern once knowing about S2 and early access was... when do I get to try Maya? My main gameplay concerns balance around the new breaker rules, and if the IG characters will fit with the DH characters well. Overall, this is exactly what I've waited for since Sept's release, and the character designs shown in the launch trailer actually are more interesting than I'd have anticipated, really. (Wasn't expecting a Golem, for sure, and that long-staff wielder looks pretty interesting.)

The games gonna be in "flux" for a few months coming, but I actually really look forward to that. It's like the hype of reveals for Smash, except I get to play the reveal in 2 weeks or so of their announcement.

[quote[Yeah, I know what you're saying here as well. Again, I agree with you. I'd love to be playing it! The thing is though, I'd want them to release it once their presentation is complete.[/quote]

I'd be perfectly fine with "Now making!" signs popping up when you hit unfinished content, if the tradeoff is that the community gets to dissect the real meat earlier. There's stuff in many fighters that I can't believe manage to stay in after multiple iterations, and I hope getting KI into community hands can minimalize our chances of having to stick with poor design decisions for 2 or 3 revisions worth of releases.

What I'm saying is, Tekken 7's location tests have never promised anything. It is nothing more than to give fans their first taste of the new Tekken while getting input to make a better final version for the arcade and home.

I just don't feel like KI promised much more than what we have at this time. For me, I'm mostly glad they haven't started compromising in order to meet unchecked fan demands. I'm sure they could have cut the stage-per-character requirement, or skimped out on the costumes/accessories, or held off on a KI2 port, in order to have a character or 2 more ready before launch. But we're still getting all the accessories, Stages, and retro-ports that DH set as a standard, and I'm quite happy about that.

I think where KI sort of dropped the ball is that fans had all these expectations for Season 2. Sure, they are probably coming, but we won't see it to its completion until, what, April? All of this buildup was for something that should have been a lot more complete than what we got last night. It just didn't feel worth the wait, and maybe that's why I'm so hard on it.

I'm just smiling at 6 months of updates on a current gen fighter, lol. 2 characters, 2 stages, with more to look forward to. I doubt I'll get into Guilty Gear Xrd on PS3 as much as I would if I had a PS4 (ASW fighters just never hold me for as long as I'd wish they would), and nothing else is announced for XB1 (well, rise of Aether and Legend of Raven, but they're either a long ways off, or poorly updated), so this is pretty much it. I'm thankful it's going to go on for so long, and I just hope they do a better and better job at it as time goes on, much like how DH clearly improved with their final characters for KI.

They easily exceeded my initial expectations when they announced the S1 characters rebalance. That's something I didn't think they'd tackle before all the new season characters were fully released.

However, I do understand and agree with a lot of what you said! I do have fun with the game. I never felt it was a bad game, honestly. I just think that if Iron Galaxy can implement in all of the features stylistically people expect out of the KI series' "charm", then the people who will buy the 2 seasons combines in the Spring will get a more "blown away" experience than those of us going through the piecemeal experience.

I guess it's just a good time to act as an informed shopper. I can understand how piecemeal would feel bad to some, but I can also understand how paying the same $20/$40 and getting to start playing a game as soon as stuff is ready can feel pretty special. Thankfully, both options are available to us, and I hope those who feel better waiting will choose to wait.

If everything polishes up well by April or so, getting to see the early times where animations were imperfect and characters were missing won't make me lose any love for the final product. I'll even appreciate it more, personally, because I got to see how far things have come.

Let's just hope they really go far with some of these things!

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
Can anyone clear this up for me, I bought the KI Season 1 Ultra Combo Breaker or whatever it was pack for $40. Do I need to buy the Season 2 pack for $40 also for all the content?

So it's an $80 game essentially?

Nabs

nEe3KPO.jpg

How has the improved image quality been?

Can anyone clear this up for me, I bought the KI Season 1 Ultra Combo Breaker or whatever it was pack for $40. Do I need to buy the Season 2 pack for $40 also for all the content?

It's exactly the same model as the first season. It's $80 if you want absolutely EVERYTHING (including two extra games).

dankir

Only if you want KI2 HD and access to all costumes and accessories at one price ( 39,99 ) 20 bucks you get the game and all 8 characters. Accessories and skins are extra.

btags

The glacius stage, when doing an ultra combo, takes a massive performance hit. I hope that is fixed.

Which characters were fighting, which one did the ultra, and where were you on the stage when you saw this performance dip? I just tested it out with jago and orchid on the left side of the stage and saw no performance issues.

Edit: I also just tested it out with glacius, thinking the particle effects for his shatter might cause the performance to dip more noticeably than other characters, and still saw nothing.

Gestault

It would be $40 total if you bought both seasons. If you're buying the Ultra editions with the extras and the old arcade games, then it would be $80.

I'm in the UK with the fastest consumer internet you can get -- KI S2 downloaded in a matter of minutes. However, after 2hrs of trying to get any ranked or exhibition matches, not a single match.

Fucking ridiculous. Anyone else outside US experiencing this? Anyone in UK not having issues?

def sim

Which characters were fighting, which one did the ultra, and where were you on the stage when you saw this performance dip? I just tested it out with jago and orchid on the left side of the stage and saw no performance issues.

Edit: I also just tested it out with glacius, thinking the particle effects for his shatter might cause the performance to dip more noticeably than other characters, and still saw nothing.

It was sabre/glac with the latter's ice rain super (I don't know the name) or when the former would activate his instinct. Both during an ultra combo. I played a bit more and Orchid's instinct can hit the framerate, as well.

btags

It was sabre/glac with the latter's ice rain super (I don't know the name) or when the former would activate his instinct. Both during an ultra combo. I played a bit more and Orchid's instinct can hit the framerate, as well.

I went back, checked, and I never saw any framerate drops when doing glacius's shadow hail, ultra, or instinct activation. Similarly, I saw no framerate drops with Sabrewulf during shadow moves or instinct activations. The only time I saw any framerate drop was not during Sabrewulf's ultra, but the sequence shown after where he claws at the ground and roars/howls. Also, the audio became unsynced at that point, so there is definitely some sort of problem. Seeing as that does not seem to be an especially intensive part, I am assuming it is a bug and it should be reported to Iron Galaxy.

Ont

I'm in the UK with the fastest consumer internet you can get -- KI S2 downloaded in a matter of minutes. However, after 2hrs of trying to get any ranked or exhibition matches, not a single match.

Fucking ridiculous. Anyone else outside US experiencing this? Anyone in UK not having issues?

I am in the UK (London), no problems so far with ranked matches. Had one laggy match though, I'm guessing the other player was quite far away or on 56K modem.

def sim

I went back, checked, and I never saw any framerate drops when doing glacius's shadow hail, ultra, or instinct activation. Similarly, I saw no framerate drops with Sabrewulf during shadow moves or instinct activations. The only time I saw any framerate drop was not during Sabrewulf's ultra, but the sequence shown after where he claws at the ground and roars/howls. Also, the audio became unsynced at that point, so there is definitely some sort of problem. Seeing as that does not seem to be an especially intensive part, I am assuming it is a bug and it should be reported to Iron Galaxy.

It's certainly happening to me so I hope that it's something they look into.

morpix

Game refuses to find ranked matches for me ugh

Did you manually update it (delete/reinstall)? Or did you wait for the patch to roll out?

AFAIK, it was bad yesterday because the patch wasn't rolled out and the only people playing were the guys that re-installed.

Loving Maya so so much. She may end up surpassing Sadira as my main. Thank you IG for the resolution bump as well. I don't know about you guys but I really dig the UI change too.

16BitNova

Another minor issue with the UI is that when picking a new background for your fighter profile you can barely see what it looks like. Its so small. And I'm gaming on a 40" screen.

After playing for a few hours, yeah I can't stand Maya. She feels far more unfinished that I thought. Those animations just make her hard to read. Also I just lost ranked match because the camera glitched out.
Anyone up for some games? Am on all night GT is my Gaf ID.

What about Shadow Jago from S1? Wasn't that some sort of special pre-order bonus?

Forgot about Shadow Jago! That said, I think he's coming as an actual character with his own moves as part of Season 2. This guy from the launch trailer looks suspiciously close to him:

...and there are NINE characters in that trailer besides the S1 crew.

The grid perfectly fits 9 and 9 if you see the character select screen when you have shadow jago. So I say season 2 has 9 and maybe they'll do something with shadow jago.

Ont

I started playing Maya as well but it is really hurting my online rank now. I think both new characters are really well done.

Loving the higher resolution and the new menus.

Maya's animations during the stage ultra are weird, hopefully they change that.

Also that grid style reminds me of Civilization Beyond Earth, another game I have been eagerly waiting to play.

Finally! Better fonts!!!

Seriously I love how this adds value to my purchase of Season 1. So happy that Microsoft is spending money to move this fighting game franchise forward.

They should do all fighting games like this from this point onwards, so we don't have to keep buying a new game every other year. The "season" concept is just brilliant.

Sponge

Banned
They should do all fighting games like this from this point onwards, so we don't have to keep buying a new game every other year. The "season" concept is just brilliant.

It's crazy to think so many people were against this idea at first. I agree with you completely.

It's nice to have the option to go out and pick up a copy of a new version of a fighting game, but eventually I hope all fighting games follow KI's example.

I hope that never happens. Every time we get something good, the gaming industry ruins. Even now. KI has gone from a game with a decent model to a game that's expensive to to play and has Microtransactions. Optional or not, they exploit the buying habits that people have. I just wanna pay £40 and be done with. Simple.
Or at least go back to way KI used to be.

btags

I hope that never happens. Every time we get something good, the gaming industry ruins. Even now. KI has gone from a game with a decent model to a game that's expensive to to play and has Microtransactions. Optional or not, they exploit the buying habits that people have. I just wanna pay £40 and be done with. Simple.
Or at least go back to way KI used to be.

How can it have gone from a game with a decent model (8 characters and their stages for $20 or that plus an older game and extra outfits for $40 and the ability to buy characters and accessories separately) to a game that is expensive to play if season 2 has the exact same pricing model as the first one? And microtransactions are entirely optional, there is nothing that requires microtransactions to get and in fact some things have been hinted to be only obtainable by playing the game.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I want Riptor to have the same moveset as Yoshi from Smash Bros., egg throwing, egg-rolling, feet flurries, the lot. It'll be funny! :D

Top Bottom