• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Logash

Not at the moment. they may add the option down the road but currently it's pay full for all...or pay an extra 40 to rebuy the whole season if you change your mind down the line.

Looks like my only option is to buy it for $80. Not too bad since I forgot you get the original two KIs as well. Thanks for all the info guys.

dankir

Ah man the fight titles reset??? I was at like 138 last night with spinal and Fulgore all my 150 fight achievements were unlocking at 140.... :(

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Been playing for about an hour...this game looks so much better in 900p on my 50 inch plasma...holy fuck the upgrade is really dramatic.

Maya is really fun, UI is decent, much nicer in person. TJs stage and music are God Tier.

REV 09

the game looks so much better now. I honestly never expected a graphics boost, so this was a great surprise to one of my favorite next gen games. Maya is lots of fun to play too.

Maya is really, really fun but it seems really hard to get damage on the opponent if they don't block your daggers. Guess it's just a matter of learning all the mixups and crossups so that she can punish in any situation.

Nephtes

Aghhhhhh! What happened to all my unlocks, fight stats, and trials?? They're gone! I worked really hard to get some of those! What gives?

Are they going to be reset every season so I have to unlock it all again?
If so, no thank you.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fulgore's stage ultra pose is the best I've seen so far (especially since it's a recycled DH animation), the others... I don't like IG's main animator, lol. He seems to think he can show "anticipation" by slowing down a fast motion, without any additional motion flare. So a 2 second animation ends in 6 seconds, and instead of looking like a proper buildup, it just looks like he stretched the duration of the frames.

I really hope these are fixed over the time of the game's life. They're kinda anti-hype because they look shoddy.

Maya feels great, but I really need to get used to her first. I like being able to lock opponents in place on their wakeup, and her options feel fun, if a little foreign for now.

Well...it's a good game, but the end result after all this hype is a little anticlimactic.

The IG guys (and previously DH) do overhype some small things more than needed, but we've known for WEEKS what we're getting, and we got a few small extras. If you reasonably manage your expectations, it's actually a bit better than the info presented.

2 added characters (who you can't use in arcade mode yet)
1 stage finisher out of all the stages (fans have been wanting these since KI Season 1 was announced)

I am literally having the same experience I had playing the game last night, only I was hyped up then but now I'm a little less excited...

The early access to Season 2 does lower the excitement for what we got some (since it's petered out the impact), but Maya and 2 new stages do bring something new to the landscape still. TJ has his colors, as does Maya, they have some accessories... and you have an entirely new way to earn things for characters, that might lead you into exploring people you didn't before. The experience definitely has some new stuff going for it, if you embrace it.

I hope the reason we're waiting on more stage ultras is because they're going for a different animation per stage. This "zoom in as something goes on in the background" is nice in theory, but I don't want this to happen in EVERY stage. Pits, or events that destroy the stage around the enemy should be handled differently.

This game should have been "Killer Instinct 3" and released in Spring 2015 as a complete game.

Can't agree at all. If Capcom gave me the choice to start using characters from Super II Turbo while Super II itself was out, I would have flipped back in the day. If my KoF 97 could have turned into 98 for 40 bucks with incremental updates, I would have put off other games, just to be there at each stage of KoF's development.

We've been given a choice here. Wait until 2016 and buy "the complete game" or get to play multiple complete stages of it from 2013-16+, while having our play and input change the way the game evolves. Do you really think this new KI would have fared better not as a release game, but as something that came out once the KoF's, MKs, SFs, and 10s of other fighters had filled the market?

I'm sure the development time and what not has affected the content of what is in this build, but the release of this much progress in no way came close to matching the hype Season 2 has been building. Adding 1 new character every 30 days is only going to make the ones before it seem boring and old, as well as the stages.

/rant

P.S....tired and grouchy
P.P.S. The music in this game is phenomenal!

Glad to see the music got through the tired and grouchy part, ha. I dunno, even as a console-main person, I always liked the development and delivery of PC updates. It was one of the only things I felt PC had a hand up over consoles on. When PSO came out on Dreamcast, and the game got new battles, lobbies, weapons, etc all the time... it motivated me to try the new content, and stick with the old longer than I would have if it was just a single, non-updated release.

Instead of the RUSH of initial release, and then having to wait months until real updates, as in season 1, this S2 will offer us more and more each month. While I do agree the more fresh characters are more exciting initially, I think the old cast still has lots of things I still desire, even with the new cast here. And if they start to fail, well, they can always get refreshments in the way of new moves or animations, as well. Glacius' bouncing projectile and puddle-on-demand both rekindled my interest in him this season, for example.

Even with new Stages, Thunder's is still my go-to. Nothings going to trump it for me, NOTHING! ;-)

The flow should be better in the long run. I really hope they can make this work right, because I still think this is a good way for fighters to gain, keep, and maintain a playerbase and interest.

Instead of watching the Tekken 7 location test, I'd have loved to been playing it for the next 6 months, y'know?

Insayne

Hello,

What is Season 2´s build number?
I had early access, but got no update today... as of yet.
The menu is the same as before too, i thought that would change?
Do I need to do something special to get it to download Season 2? (I purchased the Ultra Edition for S1 and S2). My region is UK if that makes a difference.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Crash Note: Hm, the game Just totally crashed on me. Was playing Maya VS Sadira in Sadira's stage, Survival mode. Sadira was in instinct, I was rolling to approach. It froze and sputtered for a bit, and then closed the game and went back to dashboard. Couldn't "Record that" in time to save the occurrence...

Hello,

What is Season 2´s build number?
I had early access, but got no update today... as of yet.
The menu is the same as before too, i thought that would change?
Do I need to do something special to get it to download Season 2? (I purchased the Ultra Edition for S1 and S2). My region is UK if that makes a difference.

Build Number: 2.0.200.1.28771.r

The update is rolling out in 2 ways:
- The install of the game will be refreshed (already happening, easiest to "make" happen by reinstalling)
- The update will automatically happen to your pre-loaded content (slower; Basically, you have to wait until your region says "there's a new file available", which will most likely be in a few hours from now.)

If you want to start playing ASAP, delete the old game installation, and start downloading it again. At around 26% downloaded, you should see the old red KI button turn into the new blue KIs2 Button.

You can start playing when the game is confirmed "Ready to Start", but you'll mostly only be able to play Jago (and Shadow Jago) until it hits 100%.

derFeef

Is it me or are the stage ultras really bad looking? The animations are just stretched-out rehashs and I don't even know what Glacius is doing "uhh I'm drunk and might fall over".

:(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is it me or are the stage ultras really bad looking? The animations are just stretched-out rehashs and I don't even know what Glacius is doing "uhh I'm drunk and might fall over".

:(

Nope, I stated how much disliked the winner animations too, and others have said throughout.

I like the idea they're a new victory pose for most. But there needs to be new, properly-timed animations for them. If they didn't have animations ready for everyone, I wish they would just go the way that Maya basicallty is (a decent looking mostly still animation) rather than trying to improperly stretch well-done animations.

I hope this is just one variety, however. I want to see side and overhead views of people falling into pits, getting hit towards the front of the screen, or getting launched into new areas, also.

derFeef

I'm not sure it's needed to show the character at all. It might fit to this specific Stage Ultra, but this is now restricting the future ones as well because we sure will not get custom animations for all future Stage Ultras and all characters I think.

Very disappointed, it just looks amateurish - as harsh as it sounds.

50%...
funny-skeleton-waiting-in-garden.jpg

Poor Spinal :(

This is more than a resolution bump. Game looks improved.
Yeah I really like the new resolution update.

New achievements?
Yeah.

I'm really not liking the characters animations (TJ Combo an Maya specifically). Something just seems really off. Stage ultras are awesome though. No sure what Glacius doing.

Also not a fan of the idea to reset my fight titles. Was close to get Sabrewulfs achievement.

TJ Combos theme though. Daaaaaaamn!

Edit:
I'm not sure it's needed to show the character at all. It might fit to this specific Stage Ultra, but this is now restricting the future ones as well because we sure will not get custom animations for all future Stage Ultras and all characters I think.

Very disappointed, it just looks amateurish - as harsh as it sounds.

Yeah I feel the same. I like the idea I the character taunting personally. Speaking of taunts, I have no idea what TJ Combos taunt is about. I don't understand what he's doing.

Also not trying to be hard on Iron Galaxy either, but. I would be perfectly fine if Iron Galaxy changed when characters where released to make them one every two months if it means having to get them polished up to fit Double Helixs characters. One character every month is awesome but so long as Iron Galaxy are not stressing them out and releasing oddly animated characters. Though I am grateful Iron Galaxy did take on the challenge of developing for this game. Only team that can pull his off.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, the stage things look really awkward. I lol'd at Glacius, Thunder also looks really fuckin' weird at the start.

I'm not totally surprised that these type of issues are here with how the amazon buyout happened, and they likely wanted Season 2 to be "out" this year even if it's staggered again, so they were probably under a really tight schedule. I do hope they iron this stuff out more though.

On the plus side, the res boost looks great, and I actually really like the new UI though it's a pretty big info overload at the result screen.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The most annoying thing about the stage Ultras... is that the ending with Combo for the S2 trailer looks REALLY cool. With the dynamic angle and all the sparkles on screen.

In game, the stuff looks so stiff and still, it just doesn't make sense in comparison.

As much as this game enjoys sparkles and lightning effects, I'll never understand why Ultra Enders and so many new additions generally lack in them. There are some good ones in this stage ultra, yeah, but why does it feel so conservative?

It really shouldn't be too hard for them to make unique animations for each stage ultra, either. Everything doesn't HAVE to have this close up angle.

A lot of games show how repeating certain animations between characters for extra content doesn't look horrible (Tekken does a LOT of this), and you can even just have 2 or 4 shared animations, to add variety. Such as "evil" and "good" male and female versions of watching an opponent getting mauled off screen, with the only really unique thing being a face animation per character.

derFeef

I have not yet played S2 - did they improve TJ's taunt and Maya's combat animation?

And yes I agree, I would not be mad without the close ups.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Musical Bonus: Sitting Still in TJ's stage goes into some of his KI2 theme, by the way. I'm personally rather happy with this, especially since we can already hear his KI1 stuff in the dojo.

Animation wise, I wouldn't say much has changed. Only things I really notice is that TJ's pre-fight animation (the one on VS screen, not in game) is better, it doesn't JUMP from the arm pump as unnaturally as it did before.

TJ's taunt is just him letting down his guard, begging for a punch, with the same lack of pacing and impact that most of the secondary animation seems to have so far. I think the worse part is that his arms are trying to do TOO much; if he leaned forward, let his arms go limp, and then tilted his head up, jutting out his jaw, I think that'd get the point across better, for example.

His roll might have a distance and animation that agree a bit better. I remember it looking like it didn't move as far as his recovery animation suggested before.

His upper arm muscles still look as if they clip into his body some. But I have to add, I really like his 3'rd accessory set, even if the shirtless look makes this more obvious...

Maya still has that stiff forward kick in her ultra, her backflips are designed with "gameplay sense" before "animators sense"; it's awesome she can move position in combos so much, but the animation doesn't look like she earned such far movement.

In animations I actually LIKE so far, I still think Maya and TJ's post battle motions are pretty well done.

derFeef

That bothered me the most, characters getting direction without the appropriate animation. They just get pulled forward by some invisible force. Mayas jump move is the worst offender in that regard.

Man I feel like an asshole to nag that much, but I think it's needed and also pretty obvious - there is a huge quality difference in animation going frm S1 to S2.

AMUSIX

One major drawback for me.

Character customization is now no longer pinned to colors.

I used to have the default colors be the default options, and then other colors have different accessories added. And it made looking through different styles a hell of a lot easier.

I can't say I like this XP progression thing. I finish a match, get thousands of XP, and my bar doesn't seem to move. There's no indication of how much XP it is to finish the current level. I know stuff unlocks at different levels, but I have no clue how far I am from there. Is it going to take a night of playing? A week? A month?

And I miss scrolling through menus to play the theme song (yeah, I know it happens during gameplay menus, but the main menu's generic 'chunk' is boring).

edit: hmmm, apparently that was me bitching about a game that I've just spent a few hours enjoying :)

I haven't yet got Season 2, but does the 900p update also retroactively apply to Season 1 owners like myself? I'd expect so, as the game would have a weird split otherwise, but I'm just wondering...

derFeef

I haven't yet got Season 2, but does the 900p update also retroactively apply to Season 1 owners like myself? I'd expect so, as the game would have a weird split otherwise, but I'm just wondering...

Yes. Once updated/reinstalled you have every improvement including UI, resolution, character balancing and so on.
Season 2 is just an addon you can buy for the main game.

Resets suck, im at 120 with a few characters
Not sure if I should just spend a few hours a day for next week grinding them up to 150 or just update

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That bothered me the most, characters getting direction without the appropriate animation. They just get pulled forward by some invisible force. Mayas jump move is the worst offender in that regard.

At least Maya's out of air pounce spouts white energy that abruptly changes her direction, I don't have a problem with that one.

Her hop out of roll... looks like a superjump out of run in KoF, really. Maybe the timing was bad in preview, but the rise and fall of her legs through the jump arc looks about right to me now.

Man I feel like an asshole to nag that much, but I think it's needed and also pretty obvious - there is a huge quality difference in animation going frm S1 to S2.

I was quite impressed with how well Double Helix handled quick transitions of animations on 3D models; most games (even by experienced devs) have a lot of non-hand animated secondary junk that jumps around during those motions, or they have bad pacing issues. They avoided almost all of that, and it remains impressive, even now.

IG doesn't seem to have that experiences or talent, and I hope we can help them grow into it a bit faster; some of this stuff (that stupid leg raise at the back of TJ's Shadow punch) just shouldn't even BE there, lol.

One major drawback for me.

Character customization is now no longer pinned to colors.

I dislike this myself. I hope there's a reason beyond "people complained about character loading, and taking this away shortens it." It was such a nice feature for those of us who care about the customs in this game.

I can't say I like this XP progression thing. I finish a match, get thousands of XP, and my bar doesn't seem to move. There's no indication of how much XP it is to finish the current level. I know stuff unlocks at different levels, but I have no clue how far I am from there. Is it going to take a night of playing? A week? A month?

I agree in that there needs to be something that tells you how much you have, and how long until level.

But I don't mind it in itself. It's nice unlocking character art alongside costume stuff. That element of things feels more solid than before. By the time IG could get a proper status update out to us, I'm sure most of us will have reverse-engineered it and figured it out anyway, ha.

And I miss scrolling through menus to play the theme song (yeah, I know it happens during gameplay menus, but the main menu's generic 'chunk' is boring).

edit: hmmm, apparently that was me bitching about a game that I've just spent a few hours enjoying :)

Haha, yeah, they need to let you RAPID scroll through the options again. You can move UP and DOWN post battle, but it just... stops at the top and bottom :( Bring back looping scrolling!

Besides animation anything else you guys dint like? I'd hate to think iron galaxy killed ki

They're just... really new. DH had polish that came from working on this for a good while, and then improving their methods and knowledge per character. Even if games like the GI JOE movie game or Front Mission Evolved weren't great, they still seemed to have an eye for producing quality motions and assets on a cheap budget in some ways.

IG isn't settled into this, and it really shows. Hopefully, we see vast improvements in their "First pass" skills as the season goes on. It's not enough to kill the game at all, but it will make it feel even more like a "Work In Progress" while they get up to snuff.

I hope they feel the sting from this. The combat ideas seem really solid, so it's a shame if things don't look as cool as they should (Maya's knife boomerang stuff is a really fun idea, for example, and generally works very well.)

Pritchardo

Neo Member
Wow just had a few games trying Maya out and i love the way she plays, definitely feels fresh having the knives in the mix. cant wait for the rest of the characters to come out. and loving the new stat page after a fight and the menus overall. definetly feels like it loads quicker and it looks much smoother afdter the resolution bump.
well done IG

mike4001_

This had probably been answered.

But the game itself just updates to season 2 right ?

So I still have a free game and can buy the "addon-pack" for Season 1 and/or season 2 to unlock all charakters for this season ?

So basically I could just buy season 1 now and also have the benefid of the new graphics, moves ect. from season 2 ?

Pritchardo

Neo Member
This had probably been answered.

But the game itself just updates to season 2 right ?

So I still have a free game and can buy the "addon-pack" for Season 1 and/or season 2 to unlock all charakters for this season ?

So basically I could just buy season 1 now and also have the benefid of the new graphics, moves ect. from season 2 ?

yep

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Luckily I had some shots from last year when the game released comparing the black crushes and sharpening filter.

Here you can see a difference, yay that also blacks/shadows are better now. I'll have some of Sabre up later cant do it yet since the game is still updating.

No I'm the same. When I first say the Maya trailer I instantly saw the difference in quality. I even commented on how I thought her animations honestly look off. Now more people are seeing the difference. I honestly bothers me a lot. TJ Combo has decent animation, but not compared to Season 1. But his textures look off(See his arm textures clipping on the VS screen(Shoulder to chest)).

Watching Max at the moment, he seems a bit salty. He keeps dropping his enders which are possibly the easiest part of the combos. I think this falls into what SAB CA was saying. You're watching the animation but since the momentum and frames don't match, you end up missing dropping an ender.

Luckily I had some shots from last year when the game released comparing the black crushes and sharpening filter.

Here you can see a difference, yay that also blacks/shadows are better now. I'll have some of Sabre up later cant do it yet since the game is still updating.

Awesome!

Gonna hop on later when I get home from work, but if anyone is scrub-tier or new and wants to play PM me your tag and I'll try to add you.

NavNucST3

So pissed that I kept getting hit by the stats reset bug and the game taunted me by having this happen just before season 2 so no badge for me Level 01/ Level 01 ::nerdrage::

Seriously hope it is finally fixed in Season 2...but damn at not being able to get my "been there since day 1" acknowledgement

Updated but not paid for season 2 yet, going to wait a little bit as i'm happy enough learning Jago still.

The game looks nice and fresh to me, must be the adjustments to the black levels and what seems to be added bloom everywhere, fighting against combo is a nice change.

I like it so far, awesome menu redesign too.

dankir

So were the fight titles supposed to reset or not? I got a few of the S1 gold badges so I guess I didn't miss out on those.

Top Bottom