• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Don't really like the idea of shared stages either.

I don't know, struggling to find the positive in this to be honest. Less content to improve lighting is just shit.

I don't know, struggling to find the positive in this to be honest. Less content to improve lighting is just shit.

Shared stages isn't happening, was just confirmed...but all characters will have their own music theme?

lol what is going on

.la1n

Yeah, the amount of people asking for improved lighting had to be laughably small. I would have gladly take the old lighting engine if it meant a normal season with character + stage releases. Also, shared music isn't an attractive alternative to be throwing at us three seasons in.

The PR for the game is truly the worst sometimes. How do you just dump this randomly on the forum?

^lmao, I am so confused right now, someone needs to step in and clarify this shit storm.

.la1n

There's some miscommunication somewhere. That doesn't make any sense!

That's why it helps to prepare these things in advance instead of one line at the end of an article saying "and three all new stages in S3!.." like nobody is going to notice that and wonder what is up. I love Rukari but damn if he isn't making things worse / more confusing.

Here's the quote on the music

EglBkvo.png

This is such a strange rollout.

.la1n

Here's the quote on the music

EglBkvo.png

This is such a strange rollout.

The way I read it he is saying that there must be pretty big changes to how music is working in season 3. Music fits the stage it's made for, so if every S3 character has their own music but not their own stage it's going to very thematically jarring. At this point though we always have something like this each season where no matter how smooth we are sailing there always has to be something completely bizarre they do that clashes with what we are accustom to.

I'm just waiting for the "just be happy you have more stages than other current gen fighters!" or other PR spin on it. I can see the theme for this season being "we didn't ask for this..."

The Flash

Banned
Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.

I will trust that logic will prevail.

There will be something to balance all of this.

Warxard

Banned
What if they used the budget for those stages to make the full, cinematic MKX-style story mode

best case scenario?

I would like more modes. World Tour/Abyss mode in KI would be fun.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.

I will trust that logic will prevail.

There will be something to balance all of this.

I was thinking this too but honestly, the fact that they just unceremoniously dropped it at the end of an article about lighting at the end of the day on a Friday makes me think it was pretty much a way to sweep it under the rug.

The Flash

Banned
I was thinking this too but honestly, the fact that they just unceremoniously dropped it at the end of an article about lighting at the end of the day on a Friday makes me think it was pretty much a way to sweep it under the rug.

And they knew this was going to happen. Rukizzel himself said they knew this would happen. Geez Louise.

Well that is fucked, haha.

I mean sure, I just want to play on the Thunder stage 99% of the time, cause its amazing, but damn! not having a stage for each character seems really stupid! It also seems stupid that we are only getting 3, and one of them is for the Arbiter.

Well, I wont freak out too much, and Im going to buy it anyway, because I love the game.

Synth

It also seems stupid that we are only getting 3, and one of them is for the Arbiter.

Yea, this is definitely something that's bugging me. If you're going to have a very limited number of new stages, then don't give any to the bloody guest characters!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hmmm...

I doubt the new lighting = only 3 stages is an equal trade. Maybe the stage budget just got split amongst new features?

Adding additional stage ultras to the original stages, or making stages have wall-break areas would be a decent trade off, as well.

Alt conditions / times of day for stages would also be nice. New lighting would really help with this, right? It'd make sense in story modes to have some stages in pre-destroyed conditions, and post-destroyed ones.

We know nothing about the price of this season. We know nothing about the Special Combo Breaker edition of this season. We haven't gotten a silhouette tease of the upcoming characters, or anything that directly tells us how many to expect. We've seen some incredibly front-loaded stuff (Kim, Her Stage, Arbiter and a possible stage, knowledge that Tusk is there), but are still missing season basics, weeks away from release.

I don't hate where this is going, but it does feel as if it could be better planned and spaced. I'd have loved to have just been shown a roadmap to release during Kim's reveal; it would have kept the cold turkey disconnection from feeling so strong.

The Flash

Banned
And I just got finished making a $100+ deal with an artist to make something for the OT when all this crap happened. They could not have picked a worse time to drop this bomb on me.

.la1n

And I just got finished making a $100+ deal with an artist to make something for the OT when all this crap happened. They could not have picked a worse time to drop this bomb on me.

I hope it's the best artist ever if your paying that much :|

If nothing else you can always convert it into a OT with jokes about how shitty the season features are, it will be good for the laughs at least. Something along the lines of the art commission cost more than the effort they put into stages.

So hypothetically, lets say we don't get ultimates for all characters. No stage ultras on old stages. What would you guys expect to take the place of 5 stages? I really can't think of anything.

Doukou

So hypothetically, lets say we don't get ultimates for all characters. No stage ultras on old stages. What would you guys expect to take the place of 5 stages? I really can't think of anything.

Cinematics or more characters. Stages are expensive so if they are actually just reallocating the budget it has to be something big.

The Flash

Banned
I hope it's the best artist ever if your paying that much :|

If nothing else you can always convert it into a OT with jokes about how shitty the season features are, it will be good for the laughs at least. Something along the lines of the art commission cost more than the effort they put into stages.

No he's good. He's a good friend of mine. We were able to work a basic sketch and he's got a good plan on how to move forward. He knows what he's doing.

And no, the OT was and always will be a place for newcomers and veterans to come and celebrate the excellence of this game. I don't want and will not abuse the OT as a platform for me to piss on decision that I don't agree with.

Stage budget went toward OT art commission.

Lol

That being said I will crack wise at SFV's expense. Take Exhibit A:

gXgiHvT.gif

2 of you have also gotten sneak peak at something else I've been working on. I might let some more of you see that as well ;)

Dojo for all characters, 20 colors for every character, 3 alt costumes, and new modes like Tag match or something like that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I mean, $100 dollars isn't that much for a single art piece with as many characters as KI. Drawing a solid picture with 1 guy in color VS one with 8+ characters in color on a decent handmade background is loads more work.

I've had plenty of times where I charged money for an art piece, and afterwards, I calculate how many dollars I got per hour... and then think how poor the conversion worked for my favor, ha. The really happy clients help make up the difference, though!

However, I'm quite impressed anyone would spend that much on Art for an OT. Kudos to you for that, Flash! We have to make sure to extra-appreciate it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
#KIS3OT #WhereTheMoneyWent Front Page Blurbs on SRK and EventHubs, and get the art piece added as a bonus picture to the in-game gallery.

I think it all sounds fair!

.la1n

Well you certainly aren't getting any art to use from MS since they won't release any media for season 3 so the commission doesn't sound so bad.

Quantum Break has had a full blow out with an April release date but here we sit at the end of Feburary with a "March" release date for season 3 KI. Combine that with the disaster news drop today and they are looking real incompetent.

The Flash

Banned
Well you certainly aren't getting any art to use from MS since they won't release any media for season 3 so the commission doesn't sound so bad.

Quantum Break has had a full blow out with an April release date but here we sit at the end of Feburary with a "March" release date for season 3 KI. Combine that with the disaster news drop today and they are looking real incompetent.

Yeah I told him to do Kim last because there's hardly anything to go on

vg260

Oh boy, after SFV being so frustrating at launch, I was hoping KI would get me hyped again, but was bracing for disappointment, and there it is.

Only 3 new stages as a trade off for lighting is not the trade-off I would have liked. Even for Ultimates. Each character's stage was part of what made KI so awesome. They looked good enough to me already.

Adam responded, with vagueness

Well now. It's great to see so much passion around KI and what we're gearing up to in S3. Most of you have been nice and rational about the news, some not so much. Thanks for (mostly) being positive.

Let me reiterate a few things.

As @rukizzel said, there are three new stages being added in S3. You've seen one at least so far.

As he also said, every character in S3 still has full dynamic music, and there's obviously more than 3 characters. We'll be talking more about what that means soon.

So why we didn't do as many stages: First, we'll have 20 stages already, which is a lot, especially considering they're all interactive in various ways. Second, we wanted to make some other parts of the game bigger and put more effort into some new things coming this season.

We're not at a point to discuss these yet though - we're saving some good stuff for just a bit longer.

It's always hard to know when to share news and updates, especially when something can be taken as a negative, but we felt we wanted to get this one thing out now, as everything from here forwards can all be positive. Hopefully once you see everything we've got planned you'll agree the trade was worthy.

Just wish they would at least give a damn release date.

btags

Count me among the minority but I'd rather have all of the stage relit than get more new stages. As much as I would love new stages, they do not add anything gameplay wise (just more diverse stuff to look at, which is obviously a good thing). On top of that, some of the old stages, such as orchid's, looked pretty rough in comparison to the rest of the game so relighting should make the game look more uniform.

That and I am sure they will have something new that compensates for decreased stages in the new season compared to older seasons.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Oh lawd what is going on in here...

Ok the new lighting system looks fucking amazing!!!

But we can never just get good news can we...

Only 3 new stages?! I refuse to believe they would try to pull this shit..if they do I fully expect
demand
redone Season 1 retro costumes and Ultimates for all characters.

vg260

Looking at the pics, the stages do look much nicer. So, I'll calmly wait and see what the trade-off was. Hopefully it's good stuff. We're just chomping at the bit waiting.

Looking at the pics, the stages do look much nicer. So, I'll calmly wait and see what the trade-off was. Hopefully it's good stuff. We're just chomping at the bit waiting.
Well, according to Rukari we should be seeing a new Trailer and Teaser "real soon™"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Im hoping for an automated tournament system with game wide jump to so people can play around on downtime with a master game feed and commentary tools

And a 3v3 mode

I'm guessing I'll get neither lol

The Flash

Banned
Well I hope it's soon because I spent all of my energy fussin' over this nonsense when I could've been playing Fire Emblem. Picking the right waifu takes time, man.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The more I think about it, if only getting 3 stages was the sacrifice for getting better graphics, Ultimates and some other requested stuff (hopefully new retros) I'll take that tradeoff any day.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The more I think about it, if only getting 3 stages was the sacrifice for getting better graphics, Ultimates and some other requested stuff (hopefully new retros) I'll take that tradeoff any day.

Considering how much it's been requested, if it's just to get Trials / Tutorial for all characters, that's really enough. Like throw in a master character like KI2, and have him reveal bits of character story and stuff as you train in moves, combos, and have character nuances explained to you.

The Flash

Banned
Considering how much it's been requested, if it's just to get Trials / Tutorial for all characters, that's really enough. Like throw in a master character like KI2, and have him reveal bits of character story and stuff as you train in moves, combos, and have character nuances explained to you.

Master Doodius Maximus and his loyal companion, The Benninator

Top Bottom