• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

This is the time MS should be money hatting EVO

CbbYGcPUkAArYDL.jpg:large

KI FINALS ON SUNDAY PLEASE!!!!!

lol, microsoft barley wants to fund the game

https://twitter.com/killerinstinct/status/700479597125566464

Is that a screen shot in that tweet with new lighting engine? Looks way better than I'm used to seeing.

It does look different. I wish we could see some gameplay on the old stages with the old lighting.

edit: damn you were right

on a side note, glad they're finally doing double xp weekend every weekend! too bad it's only one character per week....

vg260

on a side note, glad they're finally doing double xp weekend every weekend! too bad it's only one character per week....

Hm, interesting. Hopefully the general 2XP weekends will be still be out frequently enough so we can work on the season 3 characters. As long as those are at least the same frequency, this should help fill in the gaps. I'll need those weekends for the new ones since I'm already maxed with everyone else.

At least they funded it better than what sony and capcpom did with sfv

I can't agree with that. Yea SFV is missing a some game modes, but at least it got paid marketing. Obviously Killer Instinct was a huge risk, but it's clearly reflected in it's budget. Has Microsoft put any money towards a tournament? Made a CGI promo? Any paid advertising?

While I'm complaining, we're less than two weeks away from March and no release dates. I'm glad Microsoft's marketing team treats this game like an afterthought. (that's not directed at the guys working on the game)

everything about KI has been grassroots. from going through with it in the first place, to having a webcomic make the original physical release of the game, to tapping youtube celebs to work on it, etc etc. It's seen as a different beast than SFV is seen, which is the 'first party winter release slot' that was held by infamous and the order before it.

Would be fascinating to know more of the inside baseball as to how it's regarded internally, at a time it seemed like the blueprint other mid-budget titles from MS like phantom dust could've followed before that got shitcanned.

I'd be awesome for KI to get a better spotlight but first, it needs a way more attractive retail package (that fulgore vs jago pic is so sterile and a disservice to the game) and for season 3 to be cracking. It's a difficult sell to roll out an ad campaign for a game that's actually three years old. The graphical update is shaping up nice, but unfortunately they couldn't even roll out a trailer for Kim Wu without getting shat all over :\

The Flash

Banned
The presentation and marketing could definitely be better. I really hope get a complete retail release after this season wraps up. I understand the model that they're going for but three seasons of content is worthy being on disc imo.

W.S.

I think I remember hearing Keits describe Kim as a Footsie character but I'm not so sure about Rash.

I really wish they'd release some more official screenshots or art for Season 3. I'm working on an art commission for the OT and there's virtually nothing for Kim aside from the trailer.
I'd like to see more art too, they need to do blowout media coverage for more of the characters and the lighting engine.

https://twitter.com/killerinstinct/status/700479597125566464

Is that a screen shot in that tweet with new lighting engine? Looks way better than I'm used to seeing.
I honestly can't tell what the differences are without a direct comparison but it seems like there are more lighting sources over Shago's body.

.la1n

The presentation and marketing could definitely be better. I really hope get a complete retail release after this season wraps up. I understand the model that they're going for but three seasons of content is worthy being on disc imo.

Yeah marketing & hype building has always been a sore spot on KI but I don't personally care, as long as the end game is great. I do think it would help to bring new people in if they had more regular updates / marketing that could end up on news sites and the front page of GAF. As it stands outside of the KI World Cup thread I doubt many people even know what's going on with the game.

The Flash

Banned
Yeah marketing & hype building has always been a sore spot on KI but I don't personally care, as long as the end game is great. I do think it would help to bring new people in if they had more regular updates / marketing that could end up on news sites and the front page of GAF. As it stands outside of the KI World Cup thread I doubt many people even know what's going on with the game.

The last thing that they'll remember is that Arbiter was teased. I will say that I have seen KI brought up a few times in the 10+ SFV threads but then again it was mostly us mentioning it. This game just isn't on the radar as much as it should be. It will be once it's confirmed to be a Windows 10 Store exclusive. Joy oh joy.

It's not a release date, but its new info!

Killer Instinct Season 3 Graphics Shine Brighter

Old:
KEAG0ks.png

New:
JFRh0AY.png

Killer Instinct prides itself on being a wonderfully diverse game, sporting a roster of characters that includes a lycanthrope, assassin, alien, former heavyweight boxing champion, and an artificial intelligence controlling one of the most dastardly corporations on the planet.

Just as important as the array of characters are our stages – these living, breathing pieces are vivid, bursting with color and crawling with all manner of action in the background that give each stage a life of their own. Our designers, artists, and developers alike all work tirelessly to make sure we bring you the best in everything we do, and we are always looking to improve our own work. With the addition of Season 3 to Killer Instinct, we’re also revamping the stages to give your favorite play-spaces even more life. Many of you already noticed during the KI World Cup live stream that Kim Wu’s stage looks different than all of the others… The reason being is that we’ve overhauled the Killer Instinct graphics engine in some really cool ways to fully utilize the power of Xbox One.

I think they messed up the sliders, but you can still see the new lighting. I think it looks really good, almost like a new game! Stoked to see it on all the stages.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It's not a release date, but its new info!

Killer Instinct Season 3 Graphics Shine Brighter

I think they messed up the sliders, but you can still see the new lighting.

i think the sadira one is messed up but i think maybe the kan ra one is right?

errrrr

"Not only will Season 3 feature this new lighting, but like Chad mentioned, we’ve gone back and re-lit every single stage for Season 1 and 2 in addition to also including three all-new stages for Season 3."

i think the sadira one is messed up but i think maybe the kan ra one is right?

I think they're both wrong...Kan-Ra's stage is not that blue right now

edit:gonna need clarification from adam on that edit 3 stage thing.. I'll post on their forums.

edit2: someone already commented on it. hope it just means 3 LAUNCH stages

Wow that new lighting is super nice. Big difference. Maybe even new thread worthy?

Also maybe the "three new stages" just means we're getting 3 characters at launch?

DopeyFish

I doubt they would back away from the whole stage per character thing. It would make no sense to change it now.

also the value standpoint for single S3 characters would disappear... unless they charge half price for them....and we're getting a total of 14 characters this season (assuming 8 normal characters, 1 bonus)

Wow that new lighting is super nice. Big difference. Maybe even new thread worthy?

Also maybe the "three new stages" just means we're getting 3 characters at launch?

yea it's probably thread worth. new thread new news is the how it goes...i think lol.

Looks like we're only getting three stages :/

LRObppL.png

Surely they'll be making up for it in some way then.

Stage ultras on all the old stages? Ultimates for all the characters? I mean, it's gotta be something.

Surely they'll be making up for it in some way then.

Stage ultras on all the old stages? Ultimates for all the characters? I mean, it's gotta be something.

Yea I'll guess ultimates for all characters. When LCD asked Adam about it he said stay tuned. I think they should have waited to announce only 3 stages until could fully explain the reasoning.

DopeyFish

Yea I'll guess ultimates for all characters. When LCD asked Adam about it he said stay tuned. I think they should have waited to announce only 3 stages until could fully explain the reasoning.

but then with tusk coming... and arbiter having a stage....

where is gargos going to fight at? ultratech pinnacle?

I still feel like they meant 3 stages at launch. I'm gonna have to see it to believe it.

my question was 3 stages at launch or 3 stages in total.... response was 3 stages in season 3.

Even if they do ultimates for all characters it still feels like an odd choice. The individual stages added a ton of personality to the characters.

Obviously it's speculation but it just seems like an odd trade off to me.

DopeyFish

also missing stages hurts the value of characters for single buyers, even if ultimates and stage enders are in

so there's got to be something else going on

another response

"Ignoring the assumptions on characters for now, but yes 3 stages total"

i did ask if it's a 14 character season lol

.la1n

Uhhh three stages total for season 3? lol. I fully expect every character to have ultimates and stage finishers for season 1 stages then.

DopeyFish

Maybe there's more characters this season AND stage finishers/ultimates

We have to figure with the PC launch there's probably a bit more budget too to help bridge the gap

Uhhh three stages total for season 3? lol. I fully expect every character to have ultimates and stage finishers for season 1 stages then.

I doubt stage ultras will happen..not with KI's budget. Like I said, I'm expecting all characters to have an ultimate. Hopefully they're good, Iron Galaxy's animation can be spotty at times.

"Don't you give me the James Goddard treatment. When I say 3 stages in Season 3, that's what I mean. Also Shadow Jago is the only character with an Ultimate."

Is he reading GAF? No one posted about ultimates on the KI forums lol

DopeyFish

Got another response

Shadow Jago is the only one with an ultimate

i am more confused

^ we are breaking the barriers, conversations occurring across forums lol

Also we don't know what's going on with the ultra edition

Oh god

We are getting character overload, aren't we

So Rukari just implied that the reasons there are less stages is because of the new lighting.

That's a pretty garbage trade off. Less content to make stuff look prettier is kinda shitty in my opinion.

DopeyFish

guess we aren't after all lol.

If ultimates aren't in the game, I really hope they have something good to make up for the lack of stages. If not there's gonna be a shitstorm.

Yeah I don't remember anyone asking for relighting...

Are we being misled? I can't tell

Warxard

Banned
3 Stages only??????????????????

That means Kim Wu gets a Stage, and Rash, and Arbiter?

No, no way that's true.

Also, I'm gonna make a thread for the new lighting changes.

Yeah I don't remember anyone asking for relighting...

Are we being misled? I can't tell

The lighting looks really good, but if that's why we're only getting three stages...not a good trade off. I wouldn't be surprised if they have an incredibly small budget for season three and it was financially impossible for 8 more stages.

DopeyFish

Even stranger to me is that they brought in these new artists and Adam Isgreen was hyping up the new music for...three stages?

Surely not.

Just confirmed all characters will have music even in shared stages

They should have done an info drop before people started freaking out

Warxard

Banned
Just confirmed all characters will have music even in shared stages

They should have done an info drop before people started freaking out

Maybe it'll work like, the opponent having their music play like SF4.

Or maybe...CUSTOM MUSIC MODE?????? :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Top Bottom