• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

vg260

Considering how much it's been requested, if it's just to get Trials / Tutorial for all characters, that's really enough. Like throw in a master character like KI2, and have him reveal bits of character story and stuff as you train in moves, combos, and have character nuances explained to you.

Blech. l'll be really upset if they didn't make stages for new characters in order to make dojos and in-game training for other characters like this. That's a complete waste of MS/IG's resources for content most people will use once and never again, never touch at all, or never work as well as having a real person explain such concepts. There are tons of training videos and tutorials online that will either better summarize and/or easily surpass the depth you can program into an in-game mode, but only MS/IG can make new stages.
These comprehensive tutorials that people keep requesting are easier said than done, and sound great on paper, but I don't think people grasp just how hard it would be to actually make such a thing. That would be a terrible trade-off, imo.

Doukou

I wonder if they could be doing dynamic(er) music. For example if it's Rash vs Spinal it will start playing Rash when he is in control.

With all this stage talk and only having 3 stages for S3, I'm guessing the last one has got to be for Gargos. They've been teasing Gargos throughout S2's story and it would be weird if the big bad of S3 didn't have a stage like Fulgore in S1/Aria in S2. I was thinking Tusk at first but I think Gargos has more priority as he's central to S3 story. Plus they keep talking about an invasion so I'm thinking there might be at least 1 other herald/underling beside Omen who will probably share the stage with Gargos. The invasion itself might've caused a rift where different worlds and dimensions mix together which is why we have Rash/Arbiter coming in. The stage will probably be set in the Astral plane and will look completely different compared to all the other stages since it isn't set on Earth.....I'm thinking something a little like Smash's Final Destination with changing backgrounds with a more hellish look? Would be neat imo.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this much backlash over only three new stages.

I'll be honest, I don't really care. The game already has a lot of good looking stages, and we're getting three more on top of them. Hell, there's plenty of fighting games that don't have character exclusive stages.

All I need for a season 3 is more characters, and we're getting that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Master Doodius Maximus and his loyal companion, The Benninator

I think they'd have a perfect voice actor for that too! Just not sure who...

Blech. l'll be really upset if they didn't make stages for new characters in order to make dojos and in-game training for other characters like this. That's a complete waste of MS/IG's resources for content most people will use once and never again, never touch at all, or never work as well as having a real person explain such concepts.

The same probably could have been said for story mode, really. But it's highly requested, and would be the perfect tool to keep the game growing with a wider player base. How often do we hear people sing KI's training / tutorial praise? To expand that to old character, and make it standard for new ones, would be no small undertaking.

There are tons of training videos and tutorials online that will either better summarize and/or easily surpass the depth you can program into an in-game mode, but only MS/IG can make new stages.
These comprehensive tutorials that people keep requesting are easier said than done, and sound great on paper, but I don't think people grasp just how hard it would be to actually make such a thing. That would be a terrible trade-off, imo.

It's not exactly my preference either, but it probably means more to the game overall. Especially 3 seasons in, when the character number and depth has ballooned.

A proper in-game method that can tell you exactly how off the player is on a technique, or suggest specific things to try (Much like VF4 Evo's did so many years ago) would be very useful, and it'd be exclusive to KI (so far) amongst modern fighters. That interactivity goes beyond watching youtube vids, and I'm sure there are some who'd be pulled into the game more with such a thing.

Even with the stages we already have, KI generally outdoes this aspect already than most other fighters. I'd be pretty happy with them all finally getting the stage ultras (or some new deviation like stage ultimates) they deserve, or maybe even more mid-round dynamics.

jfoul

Probably would have been better to just show off the new lighting and hold everything else until the full reveal. For me, only three new stages isn't a huge deal, but we get to sit on this negative until the full info dump.

mdsfx

Wow, I wasn't expecting this much backlash over only three new stages.

I'll be honest, I don't really care. The game already has a lot of good looking stages, and we're getting three more on top of them. Hell, there's plenty of fighting games that don't have character exclusive stages.

All I need for a season 3 is more characters, and we're getting that.

I share your opinion 100%. I don't get why this is an issue at all.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So I went to ultra-combo.com to read the thread Adam posted in about the graphics/3 stages...

We all know ultra-combo.com isn't exactly the best place for intelligent discourse but man this dude 'M00NLightNinja' takes the cake. Every time I visit the forum he's constantly raging about how Eyedol is the greatest character design in the history of fighting games and if you don't want Eyedol in the game you 'aren't a true KI fan'...he actually typed that and posted it..

For some reason all his posts are devoid of any punctuation or basic sentence structure, they are essentially 500 word run-on sentences that will surely melt your cortex if you attempt to read them from start to finish. If you're bored or looking to permanently lower your IQ go there and read his threads.

Anywho here's his most recent contribution
Because of this I have lost all hype for season 3 and I was really Excited for it to but now im just really annoyed it annoys me as it is that omen and shadow jago have to share a stage but now we are only getting 3 stages for a hole season well I dont think im even going to perches a single character for season 3 now which is sad because I was planning on getting the Ultra Edition this has dissapointed me more then I have ever been dissapointed about a game in my hole life. people think I was salty about dissensions before well expect complaining for the ramaining of KI existence now this is a hole other level of disappointment
Thanks Iron Galaxy you have Killed Killer Instinct for me I was so Hyped for Season 3 but after what I reading this today my Favorite Game is going to be Ruined
Double Helix Brang a Loved Game Back from the dead but this choice Iron Galaxy is making well you my as well put KI Back in the ground Thanks alot

SEASON 3

WORST SEASON EVER
giphy.gif

.la1n

So why we didn't do as many stages: First, we'll have 20 stages already, which is a lot, especially considering they're all interactive in various ways. Second, we wanted to make some other parts of the game bigger and put more effort into some new things coming this season.

Not a dig on Adam who I have a lot of respect for but I called this PR spin before it even happened, don't be so predictable with the non answers. As for whatever these new bigger things are that took resources away from a Season 1/2 staple, all I know is it better be jaw dropping amazing.

I feel like the team is usually pretty in tune with the community but this time not so much.

I really do hate being negative about Killer Instinct, because the team(s) working on it have done an amazing job with what they've had to work with. It's my favorite game and they pretty much constantly outdid themselves, with some small hiccups along the way.

But the fact we don't have a release date less than two weeks away from March is...concerning. Not concerning in the sense that the game will be delayed, but in the sense that Microsoft just doesn't care. The marketing for this game is obviously a representation of it's budget, but WHY would you ever say something like "only three stages this season" with no huge positive to outweigh the negative?

Adam mentioned he wanted to be putting their best foot forward with everything in regards to season 3. "Only three stages this season, but stay tuned!" is not, in my opinion, putting your best foot forward. It's a mis-step that's going to get taken out of context and hurt potential new players.

Like I said, I hate being negative with KI. I love it, and it's pretty much all I play...but I am pretty disappointed in how it's being handled right now. We knew season 2's launch date 2 months before launch, we don't know season 3's launch 2 weeks before launch month.

vg260

Looks like only Shadow Jago will have an ultimate as stated before and some other clarifications:
Setting expectations here: Shadow Jago is the only character with an Ultimate.
This is a subject we knew would be a hot topic, so our wording is very precise in the article. When we said 3 new stages for Season 3, we meant 3 stages. The qualifier new is used because you don't have them yet. So Kim's is one... you've caught a glance from the second, and you'll know the third in no time at all.
http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/killer-instinct-season-3-graphics-shine-brighter/5032/565

I see that a lot of posts have actually been made from the recent news. All I have to say is that I look forward to what they'll be giving us in return for the loss of 5 stages.

I wonder if Team Battle will return? That's actually one of the things I wanted back. Along with a Sky Stage since the past KI's have them.

So I went to ultra-combo.com to read the thread Adam posted in about the graphics/3 stages...

We all know ultra-combo.com isn't exactly the best place for intelligent discourse but man this dude 'M00NLightNinja' takes the cake. Every time I visit the forum he's constantly raging about how Eyedol is the greatest character design in the history of fighting games and if you don't want Eyedol in the game you 'aren't a true KI fan'...he actually typed that and posted it..

I know exactly who you're talking about, I can definitely agree. But yeah I actually had the weirdest thing from a poster there who also posts on the daily. 'KIFANTATIC' I once mentioned my love for Kim Wu there, because she's one of my favorites.
Anyway, I get a PM from him with the question: "Can I ask you a serious question? I know you happen to be Kim Wu fan." I'm just like, "Yeah, go ahead. :)"
The response... "How big do you think they'll make her breasts?" Like... Dude. <.<

you'll know the third in no time at all

For some reason this makes me fear that Gargos isn't getting a stage.

I really do hate being negative about Killer Instinct, because the team(s) working on it have done an amazing job with what they've had to work with. It's my favorite game and they pretty much constantly outdid themselves, with some small hiccups along the way.

But the fact we don't have a release date less than two weeks away from March is...concerning. Not concerning in the sense that the game will be delayed, but in the sense that Microsoft just doesn't care. The marketing for this game is obviously a representation of it's budget, but WHY would you ever say something like "only three stages this season" with no huge positive to outweigh the negative?

Adam mentioned he wanted to be putting their best foot forward with everything in regards to season 3. "Only three stages this season, but stay tuned!" is not, in my opinion, putting your best foot forward. It's a mis-step that's going to get taken out of context and hurt potential new players.

Like I said, I hate being negative with KI. I love it, and it's pretty much all I play...but I am pretty disappointed in how it's being handled right now. We knew season 2's launch date 2 months before launch, we don't know season 3's launch 2 weeks before launch month.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel.

it's almost impossible to find the positive in this news because they're not giving us a positive.

I really don't understand the PR team behind KI sometimes.

I know exactly who you're talking about, I can definitely agree. But yeah I actually had the weirdest thing from a poster there who also posts on the daily. 'KIFANTATIC' I once mentioned my love for Kim Wu there, because she's one of my favorites.
Anyway, I get him a PM from him with the question: "Can I ask you a serious question? I know you happen to be Kim Wu fan." I'm just like, "Yeah, go ahead. :)"
The response... "How big do you think they'll make her breasts?" Like... Dude. <.<

sNrL771.gif
sNrL771.gif
sNrL771.gif

dev forums are a strange place

.la1n

I would think they'd probably give Tusk a stage and then probably reuse Aria's or Shadow Jago's for the Gargos boss fight. Assuming they are dead set on the three stages thing and don't change it up towards the end of the season.

sNrL771.gif
sNrL771.gif
sNrL771.gif

dev forums are a strange place

Yes, they most definitely are.

I would think they'd probably give Tusk a stage and then probably reuse Aria's or Shadow Jago's for the Gargos boss fight. Assuming they are dead set on the three stages thing and don't change it up towards the end of the season.

Honestly, I was very much looking forward to Tusks' stage since I absolutely loved his stage in KI2. Mostly due to the sky. Although it'd probably be completely different since it'd be a modern version of the character.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Really, all you need to make a stage act different in many games is a "simple" shift in light colors and direction. A stage with Gimmicks and animations turned off, or new ones added. Using colors and lighting that change a location from day, to night, to dusk, to demonic-red-moon-that-signifies-the-awakening-of-a-gargoyle-god can add a lot of variation to an already created area.

The new lighting seems like an obvious hint at them being able to do o-so-much more with what they already have.

I'd love it if the 3rd Stage ended up being something as stupidly-elaborate as the Danger Room stage in Xmen COTA. It'd shift from Metallic-Holo-deck, to Jungles, to Undersea, all from one single stage.

If they could pull something like that off in 3D, I'd be more than satisfied to only be getting 3 stages.

Really, all you need to make a stage act different in many games is a "simple" shift in light colors and direction. A stage with Gimmicks and animations turned off, or new ones added. Using colors and lighting that change a location from day, to night, to dusk, to demonic-red-moon-that-signifies-the-awakening-of-a-gargoyle-god can add a lot of variation to an already created area.

The new lighting seems like an obvious hint at them being able to do o-so-much more with what they already have.

I'd love it if the 3rd Stage ended up being something as stupidly-elaborate as the Danger Room stage in Xmen COTA. It'd shift from Metallic-Holo-deck, to Jungles, to Undersea, all from one single stage.

If they could pull something like that off in 3D, I'd be more than satisfied to only be getting 3 stages.

I agree with this 100 percent. In lieu of brand new stages, they could just give already existing stages a re-skin. Like, imagine if Tusk and Thunder shared a stage. Only Tusk's stage is at sunset with clear skies, and Thunder's is the default stormy background.

Nori Chan

I agree with this 100 percent. In lieu of brand new stages, they could just give already existing stages a re-skin. Like, imagine if Tusk and Thunder shared a stage. Only Tusk's stage is at sunset with clear skies, and Thunder's is the default stormy background.

Oh wow, I never thought of that before. I would so be okay with that

Yea I'd be fine with stage "remixes." A sunset version of Thunder's stage would be SO good

hwalker84

I await a full reveal until I get angry. Not happy if each regular character doesn't get a stage.

This is typical Microsoft PR bumbling.

vg260

I would be ok with that. I'd like to see different day/night versions.

They were re-doing all the lighting, so maybe they experimented with this,

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DBUrN4R.gif

4FCpx4v.gif

uM4SUXw.gif

l6Xgvsw.gif
china2_chonrei.gif

XQiErrk.gif
JstVZOW.gif

You can really get a lot of work out of stages just with color shifts, specific times or day, or using them to place different times in the story (such as a Night time version of Maya's Stage, or giving Tusk a Sacrificial Altar he's protecting, and then have the Altar in a destroyed, post-summon state after Gargos Awakens). I really hope they get the most out of this light rework, there should be a pretty good reason to rework such a base-level feature of the game...

Character specific stages were a staple of old fighters, yes. But so were awesome transformations for them, or re-making them in later sequels, Such as the Airport stage from AoF 2 appearing in KoF 99 up there.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That's worse to me than only adding three new stages. Why only give one character an Ultimate? Such a waste.

My hope is it's because every character gets SOMETHING like an Ult... just not an ult.

I'd love it if they focused on things more like MKX's Brutalities, which are much closer to Samurai Shodown's fatal slashes. Something built off normal gameplay and moves.

Just imagining the sky in this KI2 Tusk stage in Thunder's. Mmph!

Edit: SNK has so many great stages.

I'll never understand why modern fighters don't have more animated Skies. It's kinda goofy that SFV has pretty skies with clouds with... no motion at all. Even a limited few clouds passing by the moon:

vvTgHde.gif

...would be better. This is a great reason why Thunder's stage is one of my favorites. It actually feels pretty alive, even though it doesn't have people or large animals in it. Spinal's rolling ocean is another effect we rarely see in fighters, with only MK 9 and X really having anything comparable in 3D.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
That's worse to me than only adding three new stages. Why only give one character an Ultimate? Such a waste.
God that sucks...well at least I know now so I can't be disappointed later. :|

Please please just give us redone S1 retros, that's all I need and I'll be happy lol.

.la1n

That's a reasonable compromise if they give new characters older stages but with new takes on them. Less work involved but it still gives that character a unique stage to use their music for.

Redone Season 1 retros are never happening, that dream is dead :(

Doukou

Considering how much it's been requested, if it's just to get Trials / Tutorial for all characters, that's really enough. Like throw in a master character like KI2, and have him reveal bits of character story and stuff as you train in moves, combos, and have character nuances explained to you.

I don't know how IG operates but that wouldn't really make sense. The people working on stages are more asset creation and artist design, while tutorial and trials would be more UI and gameplay design.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't know how IG operates but that wouldn't really make sense. The people working on stages are more asset creation and artist design, while tutorial and trials would be more UI and gameplay design.

And money and testing. But I'd wager it's mostly a money thing. As trivial as it might seem to people, resource wise, it obviously takes a bit more than many think. Else they'd be thrown into every fighter as a cheap, easy feature.

I.G planned to have trials in last season, but they didn't make the cut. They seem to be approaching this one with a clearer understanding of exactly what it takes to fulfill their ambitions.

Understand, I don't think everything's a direct 1 to 1 compromise. But I could see something weighty like individual stages taking money / resources that could be directed into many other facets, from Tutorials and character specific trials, to UI characters, generic mook bodies like Baraka and Rain in MKX, Stage re-lighting, or giving S3 characters their story modes upon release, rather than at the end of the season.

The Flash

Banned
Has anyone here unlocked the Friendly Hisako achievement? I need access to a high res version of the achievement art that it unlocks for something I'm working on.

The Flash

Banned
Yup, GT is "im Poker Face"

Ok. Here's what I need you to do. I need you to go to the Xbox website. Go to your achievements. Find "Friendly Hisako". Right click open image and just post it here or in a pm. I can't do it myself because when I got to someone else's achievements it will show any of the ones that I have unlocked with a gray filter on it.

Ok. Here's what I need you to do. I need you to go to the Xbox website. Go to your achievements. Find "Friendly Hisako". Right click open image and just post it here or in a pm. I can't do it myself because when I got to someone else's achievements it will show any of the ones that I have unlocked with a gray filter on it.

This work?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The stage remix thing could work if done well enough.

It needs to be slightly more effort than Jago's "remixed" stage though.

A time of day/weather/different angle combo could work wonders. Even throw in a new piece of scenery.

As an example. Take Kim Wu's stage, make it night time, maybe raining, have the truck already crashed in the background and shift the angle down the street it came from?

Boom. New stage.

.la1n

The stage remix thing could work if done well enough.

It needs to be slightly more effort than Jago's "remixed" stage though.

A time of day/weather/different angle combo could work wonders. Even throw in a new piece of scenery.

As an example. Take Kim Wu's stage, make it night time, maybe raining, have the truck already crashed in the background and shift the angle down the street it came from?

Boom. New stage.

I would be okay with this route, I'd prefer all new stages but if nothing else at least have remixed existing stages for the other 5+ characters this season that don't get their own.

Top Bottom