• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Zedox

I'm actually not liking Maya at the moment. I think she's the easiest character to break in the game right now since she only has one Linker and her mid-combo daggers are by far the easiest thing to break.

I also don't like how daggers will fly off-screen. The opponent can prevent the screen from moving which means you can't get your dagger back until you can somehow force them to move (which isn't easy).

She feels like Spinal kind of. New mechanic that doesn't seem to work as well in practice as it did during internal testing. Still only two days in, but the simple fact that she has one Linker is annoying by itself.

That's Combo's Instinct ability. If he has full Instinct and the match ends he gets back up with 15% health. In this situation, if you attempt an Ultra, it automatically goes into the Ultra Ender and TJ comes back.

She really has two linkers that look the same backwards and forwards...and obviously the daggers can be a linker that can only be followed by a flip kick linker, ender or a manual...Her timing is just inconsistent which is what I don't like...

That's Combo's Instinct ability. If he has full Instinct and the match ends he gets back up with 15% health. In this situation, if you attempt an Ultra, it automatically goes into the Ultra Ender and TJ comes back.

Yeah but TJ doesn't have Instinct when the ultra is triggered. He actually gains full Instinct in the middle of the Ultra. Surely that has to be a bug, otherwise I guess you always have to plan to end your Ultra against TJ as soon as you start it or risk him coming back.

Yeah, I'm aware of Combo's instinct ability. But like BananasWithGuns said, I was surprised that Combo was able to recover during an Ultra. Not sure if that's a bug or intended to be like that. I thought that if an Ultra was ever performed, that the match is essentially over.

Sorry for the double post but yeah, looks like Combo building instinct during an ultra is a bug.

twZR7AN.jpg

.la1n

Gaf, how do I get better at this game? Dpad or joystiq? What game mode should I focus on to get better?

Training mode. Despite what others may say a joystick and a dpad have no advantages over each other, it's what you prefer and feel comfortable using.

Gaf, how do I get better at this game? Dpad or joystiq? What game mode should I focus on to get better?

Dojo can help but honestly, after the first few lessons I just ended up frustrated. I suck at fighting games though so, that probably has a lot to do with it.

I just spent a lot of time in practice mode learning how to put together combos. Then when I felt like I could actually pull off basic combos I just did versus matches against noob level opponents. Helped me to gain a better understanding of the core elements of the game. I'm not godlike by any means but I can definitely hold my own now and for someone that generally sucks at fighting games that's saying a lot.

Also I prefer using the joystiq. Just feels more comfortable.

Netprints

I find myself jumping between the two mid match. I know I need to stick with one. I will try sticking with the joystick. I made it to about practice #13 and then it got frustrating. I am not a big fighting guy, but this game is fun and I want to give it more time. Thanks for the tips.

I bought the Combo Breaker Pack and wanted to upgrade it at a later date. Is it possible to buy the accessory packs for season without spending £31 yet? That would be more impressive to me than more moves and stuff..

Ont

I was playing Maya yesterday and my friend was beating the living crap out of me with S1 characters. I am bit too eager to throw the daggers away when I have them.

This weekend I need to dedicate some time for the practise mode.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm actually not liking Maya at the moment. I think she's the easiest character to break in the game right now since she only has one Linker and her mid-combo daggers are by far the easiest thing to break.

Yeah, the lack of as many doubles to use makes her easier to read, but the linkers aren't horrible for me. It's like she has the most open "manual" potential in the game due to the mid-combo dagger use, which I kinda like. The fact I couldn't use Leap Kick as a linker from an opening normal took some time to get used to, however.

I also don't like how daggers will fly off-screen. The opponent can prevent the screen from moving which means you can't get your dagger back until you can somehow force them to move (which isn't easy).

Or use instinct. Or take advantage of that Super-Jump top cross distances after knockdown.

I kind of like the way she's at odds with herself. She has great movement options, but you only really want to use her daggers when you're guaranteed to get a bounce from a block-string. They're not suppose to be used as traditional fireball pressure tools unless you're in instinct. They're more of a stat buff to standard play.

She feels like Spinal kind of. New mechanic that doesn't seem to work as well in practice as it did during internal testing. Still only two days in, but the simple fact that she has one Linker is annoying by itself.

She's totally missing a reverse fireball+punch move. You think they could add something there, to give her linkers a bit more variety? A special move version of "Savage Strike" (Back+HP Command normal) that can be done without daggers, perhaps? Maybe a Dagger Callback ability that at least pulls them both back onto screen, or a way to change the timing on the dagger linker so as not to make it as easily breakable?

I also really like her pounce. Ridiculously low minimum height requirement, and helps make up for lack of damaging combos with a pretty easy to land "command throw" style move. If there was a way to use shadow or dagger charges to turn it into an opener...

I also like the fact you can throw the projectile out of a whiffed "Leap Kick" (what a boring name), allowing you to use a whiffed version of the move as a fakeout advancement tool. Feels a lot like K' Crow Bites > Secondary Bites shenanigans, which I can always appreciate.

Delt31

Anyone feel like Maya's damage is too low? Needs to be bumped just a bit? I literally can get the crap beat out of me and then 1 or 2 combos later, I'm back in the match against her. I feel like as a maya player you REALLY need to be good b/c her damage is just lower than others. Seems like they work harder than I am!

rrc1594

Anyone feel like Maya's damage is too low? Needs to be bumped just a bit? I literally can get the crap beat out of me and then 1 or 2 combos later, I'm back in the match against her. I feel like as a maya player you REALLY need to be good b/c her damage is just lower than others. Seems like they work harder than I am!

She has a 30% dmg combo that is unbreakable doe

Is the arcade port of KI2 decent? I'm deciding between the £15 season pass that gives me all the characters or the more expensive Ultra edition that also includes KI2 arcade. I've never had the change to play the second game before so I'm kind of on the fence whether to grab it or not...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

They force her to make use of her daggers to level up her damage ender. The other option is to land that tricky command throw pounce to do some uncontested throw damage, similar to Thunder. And she can combo into it, which is pretty sweet. Even though it's a bit tricky.

Putting all that together, I think her damage ends up as solid. She has to put in work to REALLY hurt, but this is just the tradeoff for having things like heatseeking unblockable Super-powered projectiles at her disposal...

Is the arcade port of KI2 decent? I'm deciding between the £15 season pass that gives me all the characters or the more expensive Ultra edition that also includes KI2 arcade. I've never had the change to play the second game before so I'm kind of on the fence whether to grab it or not...

I used to love KI2, and the port feels like a perfect return to those days. It has little bonuses like a force-into-game training mode, sprite viewer, it's own achievements, and Online play, so I'd easily say it's worth the curiousity.

It wasn't as liked as much as old KI when it first came out, but it feels much more modern and with-the-times to me, after all these years. There's a good amount of fun there if you're willing to learn and deal with it's peculiarities.

DrDogg

Here's my day two breakdown of Maya...

http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/tips/killer-instinct-maya-breakdown

And what to expect from S2 (pretty straightforward)...

http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/feature/whats-new-killer-instinct-season-two

She really has two linkers that look the same backwards and forwards...and obviously the daggers can be a linker that can only be followed by a flip kick linker, ender or a manual...Her timing is just inconsistent which is what I don't like...

The linkers are the same, meaning they're just as easy to break. They aren't fast enough to make it difficult to determine if it's a light, medium or heavy. Outside of Sabrewulf's Ragged Edge linkers, I'd say they're close to being the easiest to break in the game.

And while manuals are easy after the daggers, you simply cannot use daggers as linkers unless you're fishing for counter breaker bait. You have more time to break dagger linkers than you do for heavy auto-doubles.

Yeah, the lack of as many doubles to use makes her easier to read, but the linkers aren't horrible for me. It's like she has the most open "manual" potential in the game due to the mid-combo dagger use, which I kinda like. The fact I couldn't use Leap Kick as a linker from an opening normal took some time to get used to, however.

Or use instinct. Or take advantage of that Super-Jump top cross distances after knockdown.

I kind of like the way she's at odds with herself. She has great movement options, but you only really want to use her daggers when you're guaranteed to get a bounce from a block-string. They're not suppose to be used as traditional fireball pressure tools unless you're in instinct. They're more of a stat buff to standard play.

She's totally missing a reverse fireball+punch move. You think they could add something there, to give her linkers a bit more variety? A special move version of "Savage Strike" (Back+HP Command normal) that can be done without daggers, perhaps? Maybe a Dagger Callback ability that at least pulls them both back onto screen, or a way to change the timing on the dagger linker so as not to make it as easily breakable?

I also really like her pounce. Ridiculously low minimum height requirement, and helps make up for lack of damaging combos with a pretty easy to land "command throw" style move. If there was a way to use shadow or dagger charges to turn it into an opener...

I also like the fact you can throw the projectile out of a whiffed "Leap Kick" (what a boring name), allowing you to use a whiffed version of the move as a fakeout advancement tool. Feels a lot like K' Crow Bites > Secondary Bites shenanigans, which I can always appreciate.

Maya has tons of damage with minimal break opportunities, but I think all of this is going to get patched out. Those daggers are supposed to be breakable, I'm 99% sure of that.

Maya Ridiculousness: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=cd737d66d6303bd2&id=CD737D66D6303BD2!204&v=3

Maya Riduculousness Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN8Y8d9FRB4&feature=youtu.be

Gestault

I really like the streamlined unlocks. Just having EXP and per-character unlocks automatically added (and one list you can pull up to see what the next item per character is) has been way smoother for me. In a way, I'm almost glad I hadn't unlocked a whole lot in season one using the KP store.

.la1n

Looking forward to the new ranking system and the best out of three implementation. I think once they have time to get everything in place it's going to be a lot of fun going through the new ranks again.

New character art already looks great, really loving what IG has done so far. I have faith that Cinder is going to turn out looking amazing. I know Adam keeps up with these threads so if you see this Adam: your words and the teams words going out to Terrance Moore have been so nice to see. The team's connection with the community has been hands down the best I have witnessed in all my years of gaming.

thundr51

Seems so..guess that's yet another feature they arbitrarily removed...unless it's buried in some menu I couldn't find...
Oh, and why shove the trials list off in its own dead-end menu?

Was wonder about this as well. Couldn't you press a on a trial and be taken directly to an area to try it out? (eg. dogo trials took you to the dojo mission)

MoonGred

For the last year orso I've been wanting to get into KI. I've tried the game a couple of times, for some reason every time I did the free character was Jango(?), and I give up fairly quickly because I don't like his playstyle.
Giant bomb recently did a KI S2 quick look where David Lang said that Sabrewulf is a good starting character. How correct is this? If I were to get the first season would I still be able to play online or will I just get massacred?

Top Bottom