• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

The Flash

Banned
Here's one last one as on the other thread someone asked me to post the character select.

gUcd5mw.png

65a.png

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Here's one last one as on the other thread someone asked me to post the character select.

gUcd5mw.png
First off you the man, thanks for all the info

As for this select screen..its better but still pretty basic, hoping against hope it's WIP.

.la1n

Glad they aren't separated by seasons anymore (at least not like it is currently, they are grouped by season,) always thought that looked stupid. Looks like the character art is larger too which is nice.

Well I mean like thats not the full picture.

Need to see that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
They're still organized by seasons, and even release order. We've just gotten a bit too many characters to have other stuff taking up the screen now, which feels good, actually.

I hope stuff loads faster, but I also hope they don't get rid of the 3D models. I like being able to see my customizations and colors. I don't find a few seconds of loading to be that bad, though of course I'd love it to be as low as possible.

Thanks for the preview, no1dead. Considering we have a blog post and a stream to look forward every Tuesday for the next few weeks, I think we're getting a nice amount of info (finally), all things considered. Sure theres some things I think we should know by now, but it's not really that bad; we'll still all be in the same place come Mar. 29th.

Personally I can't stand MKXs select screen, none of the characters are doing anything other than the thousand yard stare.
One question I have about the leaked select screen. For Season 1 and 2 characters seem to be listed in order of release, why on S3 does it have RAAM before Kim if Kim is a launch character and RAAM presumably isn't?

Zackat

SFV's character select screen is gooood. We don't have the full picture of KI one though? It looks like Rash's leg in the back of the screen.

This leak business is interesting. I don't know what to make of it. Shadow Lords looks interesting on first glance, but that's all I can say about it.

The character select looks nice, and we have Maya's sister and a Gears of War character as additional characters? I tried looking up General RAAM since I've never played a Gears of War game, and I have a hard time pegging down a potential playstyle. A big zoner-grappler with extremely slow movement? Maybe his normals are comprised of those bugs he uses as a weapon, giving him superior range?

I don't know. KI Season 3 continues to intrigue.

If they weren't hexagons I think it would look much better. Just looks way too busy imo

I'd be okay with them doing something similar to SFV. More rectangular.

Oh wow, KI leaks lol.

Shadow Lords pic looks hella interesting, if it's anything remotely similar to A3's World Tour mode with Shadows, it'll be pretty dope. Might be something like MKX's Fraction thing too.....can't wait to he the details on what's it really gonna be.

New KI select screen looks pretty okay imo, my favorite fighting game select from this gen is definitely SFV's though. It just looks sleek, simple and modernized while not being busy and looks easy to add more characters to. MKX has a great layout with the great character models and intros/outros but the face portraits themselves was kinda boring.

The Flash

Banned
I'm listening to a remix of Feel Good Inc. and all I can think about is a parody of the Demon Days cover with Rash, Kim, Arbiter, and Tusk in it. I really wish I was an artist sometimes...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
MKX's actual boxes are functional, but are the most boring things ever. No personality, no attempt to do anything interesting. I actually like how old MK had at least some background work behind the characters:

The pre-load of a skill before showing the character model is nice, as is the little flair of animation once they're selected.

SFV's is great, even if some of the clipping and physics are surprisingly off for such a focused view. But they do a great job at selling the characters personality, a hint in the boxes, and a lot more in the animations afterwards.

For KI's here, I like the way the Hexagons are layered atop each other a bit, starting from the center, and descending on either side.. The characters are easy to read, and the shapes suggest a hit of visual cohesion (linking characters from the same seasons together). I'd like it if those characters under them also had something to do with the ones above (such as suggesting rivalries or familial relationships), but since they're in release order, this isn't a bad deal.

Even in this little preview from an earlier build, it looks on par or better than comparable offerings. I'm glad it has SOME life to it; purely functional, personality-less designs have no place in fighting games.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Maybe the shadow lord thing ties into the shadow lab stuff as evidenced by the jago on the right

As to what else goes on in there? Who knows lol i just hope it isn't entirely dependent on the lab

I also think that select screen is awesome. Huge upgrade.

And KI can't do images for characters unless they decide to not show accessories. Also works as a preloader.

tapedeck

My first thought when seeing Shadow Lords was its for playing against top ranked players shadows, like the current Top 32 or specific notable KI players...I'm probably completely off.

My first thought when seeing Shadow Lords was its for playing against top ranked players shadows, like the current Top 32 or specific notable KI players...I'm probably completely off.

Yea I'm pretty sure that's already implemented in the current shadow lab. It's not top 32 players, but top 50 shadows or something like that.

vg260

I don't like the character boxes being different sizes and/or overlapping on that supposed select screen. Inconsistencies like that between character icons are my pet peeve.

tapedeck

Yea I'm pretty sure that's already implemented in the current shadow lab. It's not top 32 players, but top 50 shadows or something like that.

Heh, I forgot that functionality is basically already in Shadow mode now..durr.

Threads are getting deleted left and right at the official forums lol.

Shadow Lords guess: it's a sort of faction mode incorporating Shadows. Each player has a "roster" of active Shadows who play against people while you're not online. Players organize into factions and play against both other players and their shadows to take territory.

Shadow Lords guess: a light rpg mode where daily/monthly fight events come up that upon completion let you invest in your shadow (win for +1% combo breaker success, +1% mixup blocking etc). Or, a mode where you can more meaningfully and easily send your shadow into fights with other players.

BHK3

Banned
Why mira instead Eyedol or a vampire character or Gargos? I mean RAAM is cool looking and sounding but how in the world is he gonna play? This is a disappointing season for me, all I really like is the revamped lighting but only 3 stages and more guest characters outweighing originals...

The Flash

Banned
Why mira instead Eyedol or a vampire character or Gargos? I mean RAAM is cool looking and sounding but how in the world is he gonna play? This is a disappointing season for me, all I really like is the revamped lighting but only 3 stages and more guest characters outweighing originals...

How do you know we aren't getting a vampire character? How do you know Mira isn't the vampire character? How do you know that we aren't getting Gargos? A lot of stuff could happen dude. Just relax.

mdsfx

People feeling entitled to know all of this info before season 3 launches are kidding themselves. You know damn right these were meant to be reveals. Let's not pretend like you're going into this purchase completely blind.

And stop pretending that not knowing the price is going to be an issue. It's not as of its completely up in the air. It's not going to be $15 and it's not going to be $60.

The Flash

Banned
I'm really nervous about the next OT. It feels like we're the only ones who are going to give a crap.

PC launch could be a disaster too. That's the last thing this game needs.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I agree RAMMy is a disappointment (I just don't like him at all, lol), but personal feelings aside, I don't think what we know is enough to be disappointed, yet. And I'm sure he could weaponized Kryll much like Thunder has his murder of crows.

Mira could be added because our KI poll from a long way back still asked for an original black female character, and Maya's sister would be a good way to get one, while still including someone with ties to the lore. The Fact she's Maya's twin has no real bearing on anything gameplay wise, just as how Jago and Orchid being brother and sister has no bearing on their gameplay.

I'm really nervous about the next OT. It feels like we're the only ones who are going to give a crap.

Why? It'll be the OT to a new release, and you're putting great work into it! It might not generate SFV hype levels, but it'll be a great resource to all those joining KI for the first time, and for those of us who've been there since release to converse. And the influx of new content over the season means we'll have renewed conversations every once in a while.

If Shadow Lords ends up being as special a mode as a modern World Tour, we'll have a pretty solid feature that many other fighters of this age WISH they had. Even that by itself could draw a lot of attention to KI, honestly more than a few more stages possibly ever could.

I love how KI tries to challenge not only it's own origins, but also the quality and feature set of all fighters around. It's way more ambitious than the original games ever dreamed of being.

tapedeck

Totally agree with SAB CA, no reason to be so pessimistic.

Even on GAF, which is pretty much the worst place for enthusiasm about anything KI, there seems to be a lot of people really looking forward to the PC release. I'm expecting a pretty significant initial increase in the community..how long into S3's life that lasts will be the real test.

Once people try it I'm sure we will see some more activity in the OT. I wouldn't worry about it. I also have a ton of faith in IG to get the PC launch right.

The Flash

Banned
Why? It'll be the OT to a new release, and you're putting great work into it! It might not generate SFV hype levels, but it'll be a great resource to all those joining KI for the first time, and for those of us who've been there since release to converse. And the influx of new content over the season means we'll have renewed conversations every once in a while.

If Shadow Lords ends up being as special a mode as a modern World Tour, we'll have a pretty solid feature that many other fighters of this age WISH they had. Even that by itself could draw a lot of attention to KI, honestly more than a few more stages possibly ever could.

I love how KI tries to challenge not only it's own origins, but also the quality and feature set of all fighters around. It's way more ambitious than the original games ever dreamed of being.

Totally agree with SAB CA, no reason to be so pessimistic.

Even on GAF, which is pretty much the worst place for enthusiasm about anything KI, there seems to be a lot of people really looking forward to the PC release. I'm expecting a pretty significant initial increase in the community..how long into S3's life that lasts will be the real test.

Once people try it I'm sure we will see some more activity in the OT. I wouldn't worry about it. I also have a ton of faith in IG to get the PC launch right.

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just a little stressed out from my ADHD medication and personal stuff. The slow trickle of info has made work on the OT a little stressful too. It's my first one for a game so I want to make sure that I get everything. Y'alls help with it has been incredible and I'm very much appreciative of that.

What is World Tour anyways? I looked it up but I didn't really understand what the purpose of it was besides unlocking secret characters.

hwalker84

Mira could be the vampire. She supposedly died right?

Dinjoralo

I'm looking forward to the OP too. I'm also looking forward to the game doing something nice for PC players who've been waiting for three years!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What is World Tour anyways? I looked it up but I didn't really understand what the purpose of it was besides unlocking secret characters.

No prob! As your father always said, "Be Attitude for Gains!" *ahem*

World Tour stuck out in a number of nice ways:

- EXP system: You could level up a character in this mode, and we know how much people like to do this. This character could also be used in other modes, so you'd get a Fei Long that could nearly kill a weak person with a Rekka, stupid fun stuff like that.

- Customization!: Getting to buff up your ISMs to make them stronger, or give yourself more defense, dizzy resistence, etc, was cool.

- Match Mutators!: Having things like Dramatic Battle (1v2), instant survival (Fighting characters in a row in the same stage), or little challenges (fighting with low health, fighting an enemy with multiple health bars, etc) added more variety than your basic survival modes.

- Context: I don't know if how many would cite it, but it's great that the mode gave more understanding of the place and locations that these events were going on in. It unified a bunch of loading screens, random locations, and disparate story into something that felt more cohesive.

It's a great mode that a lot of stuff could be managed out of. Could funnel in new match mutators all the time, have unlocks filtered through it, host special events... it's just a nice way to give Single Player in a fighter more meaty longevity, in a way that doesn't feel as cheap as a normal arcade mode.

Dinjoralo

Okay so it's like RPG stuff but in a fighting game? Kinda? What's an ISM?

ISM's were different fighting styles in Street Fighter 3. Each character could have access to up to three ISM's that changed how they played slightly. Things like how fast they got meter, whether they could air-block, and other things.

Uh... Why're we talking about SF Alpha 3, here? That seems outta the blue.

mdsfx

MKX's actual boxes are functional, but are the most boring things ever. No personality, no attempt to do anything interesting. I actually like how old MK had at least some background work behind the characters

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. As a long-time MK fan, I really dislike the MKX select screen. It is so drab, gray, and unexciting unlike classic MK games. I always felt that those backgrounds added a lot of flair. I guess the characters used to be more colorful too though.

Top Bottom