• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Sydle

This is what Id prefer TBH.

Fully flesh out and stuff S3 with as much fan requested stuff/missing features as possible then stop and make KI4 for Xbox Two or whatever.

Edit: I just realized I typed out 'KI4' in a serious manner. Damn we've made it far from the days of dreaming for KI3 lol.

Did I dream they committed to two more KI World Cups? I thought the guy from Ultra Arcade let that slip and it suggested there would at least be a Season 4.

.la1n

Did I dream they committed to two more KI World Cups? I thought the guy from Ultra Arcade let that slip and it suggested there would at least be a Season 4.

I just checked the stream footage from World Cup and yes Brandon confirmed there would be one this year and another year after.

The Flash

Banned
Alright I've decided that a certain part of the secret thing that I'm working on isn't going to work. With that said, I do not want certain parts of it to not see the light of day. Allow me to present Ahmebuh by Microsoft.

KhZH9Fn.png
UFET9Hf.png
atXK7S3.png
9tn5usS.png
AYxCS0J.png
blMdPSK.png

PvihUIy.png
QsZ4hGg.png
qvADHjz.png
Ncgrvze.png
ANPjEK7.png
jeemEZ3.png

Sydle

I just checked the stream footage from World Cup and yes Brandon confirmed there would be one this year and another year after.

Thought so. Thanks for checking.

Either there's a Season 4 or they're going to support KI post Season 3 / KIWC 2017 with smaller content packs (e.g., 3-4 character packs, new modes) to keep attracting players.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yeah i know they are doing two more World Cups..I don't necessarily think that means a Season 4.

Season 3 probably won't be 'complete' till Fall of this year, that gives just a few months for the game to meta-out till the next WC. Then there's one more after no more characters..a year of playing a finished game..not too much of a stretch IMO, especially if they continue balance patches/add a feature here or there.

jfoul

I really like the design of Mira, and her face looks great compared to Tusk and Kim Wu. Would have been awesome if Mira had a unique stage with a Dracula/Vampire theme. I'm also fine with the amount of guest characters, because I think this is probably the final season if it doesn't pull in more users/sales across XB1/PC.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Alright I've decided that a certain part of the secret thing that I'm working on isn't going to work. With that said, I do not want certain parts of it to not see the light of day. Allow me to present Ahmebuh by Microsoft.

Think you did a great job with these, by the way. I'd have taken Jo'anna (or Freya from Phantom Dust) over RAAAAAAAAM any day, heh.

bumpkin

I'm a big Gears of War fan, but I'm pretty divided on how I feel about General RAAM as a fighter in KI. He's big and strong, sure, but he's also slower than cold molasses going uphill in a snow storm. He's going to be KI's Zangief-of-old where he has no moves to get him in close quickly other than like a jumping attack. And giving him jumping attacks is going to seem very out of character for him, IMHO. Locusts didn't jump if you didn't count the funky blasting out of the ground in GOW3.

Skorge (from GOW2) would have been a way better fit.

Doukou

One thing in disappointed about Guest character wise is that the guests seem to have taken the spot of monsters. I would have loved to see new monster designs but now there is only one character spot left(Gargos must be in.

The Flash

Banned
Yeah more monsters would have been good. Maybe Mira will have something like the vampire lord mechanic in Skyrim. That would be pretty dope.

Doukou

Yeah more monsters would have been good. Maybe Mira will have something like the vampire lord mechanic in Skyrim. That would be pretty dope.

Yah I shouldn't jump to conclusions based off leak stuff. She could be a cool hybrid who transforms during moves

Yah I shouldn't jump to conclusions based off leak stuff. She could be a cool hybrid who transforms during moves

She could be the first character in this game who's Instinct mode is a full on transformation into a different character; complete with different/altered moves. That would be my dream.

I like the idea of a character who's primary mechanic is getting into Instinct mode...like, they have ways to build Instinct meter outside of the default ways. Man, I've been thinking a lot about the possibilities of RAAM and Mira. I love how the IG crew makes new fighting game characters. They're all really unique in some fashion.

The Flash

Banned
That's one of the many strengths of this game. Vastly different characters and movesets. That's why the tournament rosters are so diverse. There's so many good characters to choose from.

Edit:

Color 10 Fulgore

Wave 1 figures will launch "very, very soon" as well.

Doukou

I like, not as good as Shago, probably buying a Fulgore figure as my one figure.
Also I feel like that is my first time seeing the door on Fulfores stage.

tapedeck

Ok Fulgores color 10 is sexy as Hell, I need it and will buy the figure.

God damn I'm a sucker.

.la1n

Does anyone else feel like MS is missing a marketing opportunity with what's happened to SFV?

That's the story of Killer Instinct since the reboot was announced. They have done a terrible job with marketing. In fact it's only declined since Season 1 which is an impressive feat in itself.

They should be really selling the new season right now yet here we are, another week into March and they and they've given us some behind the scenes music previews. Wooooow.

Anyone know what the ultra editon comes with? Or if there even is one? how about how much the game cost? Yeah me either.

hwalker84

That's the story of Killer Instinct since the reboot was announced. They have done a terrible job with marketing. In fact it's only declined since Season 1 which is an impressive feat in itself.

They should be really selling the new season right now yet here we are, another week into March and they and they've given us some behind the scenes music previews. Wooooow.

Anyone know what the ultra editon comes with? Or if there even is one? how about how much the game cost? Yeah me either.

Yeah this maybe one of the least pushed game Microsoft has ever put out. No dashboard advertisements. No launch trailer, no information on the price of the game and ultra edition, no pc performance demonstration. No real stage clarification.

rrc1594

Yeah this maybe one of the least pushed game Microsoft has ever put out. No dashboard advertisements. No launch trailer, no information on the price of the game and ultra edition, no pc performance demonstration. No real stage clarification.

And yet IMO it's the best thing they done this Gen. Truly a anomaly

Uraizen

Banned
Does anyone else feel like MS is missing a marketing opportunity with what's happened to SFV?

Indeed; even something created last minute to bring attention to KI would have been great. A trailer of already existing features to show PC users what it is or something.

tapedeck

This post is so true..and so depressing.

I really don't get why MS just outright refuses to advertise this game in any way other than community streams that only people who already know about the game watch. SMH.

Sponge

Banned
I really don't get why MS just outright refuses to advertise this game in any way other than community streams that only people who already know about the game watch. SMH.

With the right marketing I think KI has potential to be one of Microsoft's strongest IP. The fact the game is as popular as it is now with the budget Microsoft gave IG is already impressive.

The worst part is that, when they do actually show stuff it seems like it's always done incredibly well. The trailers they put out are crazy good and the gameplay walkthroughs they do on stream are amazing too.

I know those type of things take time to put together but you'd think with such talented people working behind the scenes that MS would push them to do more to promote the game.

BHK3

Banned
Figures the only way for color 10?

pump the brakes, what? Well I understand the amibo joke now from further up the page...locking content behind physical media. Then again Dota 2 does that too but you can at least purchase most of that in the store.

The Flash

Banned
The worst part is that, when they do actually show stuff it seems like it's always done incredibly well. The trailers they put out are crazy good and the gameplay walkthroughs they do on stream are amazing too.

I know those type of things take time to put together but you'd think with such talented people working behind the scenes that MS would push them to do more to promote the game.

You mean the trailers they outsource to Max? All the trailers that he's done are great but it's still them finding a way to not get involved directly.

pump the brakes, what? Well I understand the amibo joke now from further up the page...locking content behind physical media. Then again Dota 2 does that too but you can at least purchase most of that in the store.

That's not the point of the amiibo joke. at all.

Doukou

Yah I feel like Ms is missing a big opportunity with KI. Espically with the new guests characters who could add recognizable name. I feel like the only growth that is really allowed to happen is getting more core gamers rather than also getting casual, with how hard info of this game is to find.
I think their rationale is that the game has a good cost to revenue and that a strong marketing push could kill it an it seems to cautionary.

You mean the trailers they outsource to Max? All the trailers that he's done are great but it's still them finding a way to not get involved directly.

Well I was considering Max as part of that group, even more so since he works on story and stuff.

They have a talented group working on the game, I just wish they took advantage of that more often.

.la1n

This is outside the current discussion but something I feel like is worth bringing up again. I have been playing MK X a lot since KP2 launched and Street Fighter V since about a week after it's launch. Haven't put much time into KI at all, mostly waiting on the new content and because the other titles I mentioned just draw my interest more currently.

So, I start up KI and decide to put in a good hour or two of ranked matches for fun. I did not have one single match in the two hours I played where if I lost I didn't have to sit through a double ultra and tea bagging. It's ridiculously off putting and I ask once more, can we not have the option to quick exit once an ultra is initiated? Then I go into exhibition because surely in exhibition you wouldn't have to deal with this right? Wrong, so so wrong.

I am not a player that gets salty after a loss, I take it and learn from it, move on. If the idea is to get new players into the game however then they need to address this issue, new players aren't going to hang around long when the developers are allowing the shit head majority of the online community to continue this after match crap. It's been one of the top complaints since Season 1 so if it's not addressed in Season 3 I am going to be very very disappointed.

On the subject of MK X though, they don't fare much better. How many times can you sit through the same fatality every single time your opponent wins. At least with brutalities they go with the flow of the match and don't take up an abundance of time. I don't have a problem with stylish finishes for the victor but at least make it something quick and non intrusive to the flow of online.

For all the issues I have with SF V's content right now, once thing it gets absolutely perfect is one on one matches. No bull shit filler.

Phloxy

I remember somebody brought this up at the Paxeast panel, and they said if you don't want to see it, don't get beat. Which I agree with. Don't play a game called Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat if ultras an fatalities bother you. They are part of the game and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

W.S.

This is outside the current discussion but something I feel like is worth bringing up again. I have been playing MK X a lot since KP2 launched and Street Fighter V since about a week after it's launch. Haven't put much time into KI at all, mostly waiting on the new content and because the other titles I mentioned just draw my interest more currently.

So, I start up KI and decide to put in a good hour or two of ranked matches for fun. I did not have one single match in the two hours I played where if I lost I didn't have to sit through a double ultra and tea bagging. It's ridiculously off putting and I ask once more, can we not have the option to quick exit once an ultra is initiated? Then I go into exhibition because surely in exhibition you wouldn't have to deal with this right? Wrong, so so wrong.

I am not a player that gets salty after a loss, I take it and learn from it, move on. If the idea is to get new players into the game however then they need to address this issue, new players aren't going to hang around long when the developers are allowing the shit head majority of the online community to continue this after match crap. It's been one of the top complaints since Season 1 so if it's not addressed in Season 3 I am going to be very very disappointed.

On the subject of MK X though, they don't fare much better. How many times can you sit through the same fatality every single time your opponent wins. At least with brutalities they go with the flow of the match and don't take up an abundance of time. I don't have a problem with stylish finishes for the victor but at least make it something quick and non intrusive to the flow of online.

For all the issues I have with SF V's content right now, once thing it gets absolutely perfect is one on one matches. No bull shit filler.
I wish long ass Ultra combo's could be skipped too but unfortunately it's just one of those KI things we just have to deal with.

I remember somebody brought this up at the Paxeast panel, and they said if you don't want to see it, don't get beat. Which I agree with. Don't play a game called Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat if ultras an fatalities bother you. They are part of the game and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Eh that's a bit of a flawed argument, it's annoying regardless of skill level.

.la1n

This attitude is toxic to the growth of games. Fighting games are already a niche genre, I would prefer they grow in popularity and sales. That way we can see even more fighting games and possibly even returns of fan favorites (Vampire Savior...)

Just my two cents though, we could also continue to turn off and exclude a large population of the buyer's market. Worked out well for Street Fighter V's sales out of the gate.

I also never mentioned getting rid of Ultras or Fatalities, let people go wild with them if they want but in online ranked at least let the opponent choose to quick exit and go to the next match if they prefer. That still leaves the other player to go nuts on your lifeless body, or would it not be fun if you didn't know you were annoying / humiliating someone else that could watch?

If that's the issue then it's not the fatalities or ultras being removed that people have a problem with, it's having their ability to grief an opponent taken away they have a problem with. The internet and gaming already has enough bullies, let's not give them more outlets to "express" themselves.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Double Ultras have never really bothered me. It's part of the game. It's only a few more seconds. Quitting early never really sounds like it makes sense either, though maybe they could force a universal ender that brings the match to a close for both players after X amount of seconds. I could imagine all the server issues that could arise by thinking people who were suppose to be in a match are suddenly searching again, or in a second room.

I'd love to see them implement ways that actual feel like they make sense within the gameplay, though. Such as maybe letting a defeated opponent blow themselves back after so many hits, or pressing a button to entirely drop your guard during a blow, thereby getting fully knocked out. Getting Ultra'd after a KO isn't interactive for both players, which was a stated goal of original development. So something that keeps within that spirit would make sense.

I think Brutalities in MKX succeed on a deeper level than just being quicker; they're also equally satisfying to land as a full on fatality. This incentivizes a player to WANT to do them over the standard fatalities, making it more of a win/win for satisfaction and time management. Ultra Enders on a whole aren't anyway near that satisfying (unless it's maybe Glacius'), so I'd really hope they'd take a second pass at them, either making them more visually impressive, of giving more variety to them. Stage Ultras are a good one, maybe we're due another Ultra style within this season?

vg260

This attitude is toxic to the growth of games. Fighting games are already a niche genre, I would prefer they grow in popularity and sales. That way we can see even more fighting games and possibly even returns of fan favorites (Vampire Savior...)

Just my two cents though, we could also continue to turn off and exclude a large population of the buyer's market. Worked out well for Street Fighter V's sales out of the gate.

I also never mentioned getting rid of Ultras or Fatalities, let people go wild with them if they want but in online ranked at least let the opponent choose to quick exit and go to the next match if they prefer. That still leaves the other player to go nuts on your lifeless body, or would it not be fun if you didn't know you were annoying / humiliating someone else that could watch?

If that's the issue then it's not the fatalities or ultras being removed that people have a problem with, it's having their ability to grief an opponent taken away they have a problem with. The internet and gaming already has enough bullies, let's not give them more outlets to "express" themselves.

Agree 100%

The Flash

Banned
so no word on how to acquire color 10? only via the toys?

Right now you need to buy the figures.

Edit: Would it be douchey of me to leave this in the OT for people who want to complain about guest characters? I understand the reasoning that people have for and against guest characters but it doesn't change the fact that they are still going to be in the game.

Top Bottom