• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

SimonM7

As for whether the new version will help the game grow, I kinda doubt it. Being locked to a storefront people don't have a reason to check for actual games is going to seriously limit it's potential for early sales. That's not even mentioning all the people up in arms about the store and what Microsoft's been doing recently.

People already know about KI, but it's all SF5 all the time between people with PCs and people with PS4s. I would be immensely surprised if it hitting PC doesn't mean an influx of players, but whether they stick around is up to how that experience turns out.

I do seriously think some of you guys are overblowing the whole launch thing.

I mean God damn, within little time at all between them showing the new enders they provide a solution coming very soon. You don't get that kind of turnaround too often.

And yeah they could have outlines the prices and the contents of the ultras and whatever else. But myself and many of you pre ordered s3 the day it went live on the store so it makes no difference to us anyways.

Mountains out of molehills imo.

The Flash

Banned
Did anyone see the tweets that Keits made yesterday? The one's about writing something that people have been asking for a long time? Think it's KI related?

It makes me feel bad for the KI guys, because I feel like the real issues I have with this games marketing isn't so much anything purely KI related, but just "Microsoft Digital Games" marketing in general. It's almost everything that was annoying on XBLA in the 360 days, but still 100 times better than those dark times.

This is the problem I have, as I mentioned my posts are not directed towards the Microsoft Dev side or IG. It's the shitty marketing team that basically forgot this game existed until the beginning of the month. And while this isn't a problem for the hardcore players (us) it is a problem for those who want to play this game for the first time on PC and the people who might want to play for the first time on Xbox One.

I appreciate what IG and MS is able to do with the limited resources they probably have, but I can't ignore the terrible job the Microsoft marketing team has done just because it's normal for digital titles or fighting games in general. This game deserves to be at the very least acknowledged by the official Xbox social media channels more than once a year.

Did anyone see the tweets that Keits made yesterday? The one's about writing something that people have been asking for a long time? Think it's KI related?

I'm pretty sure it's about running tourneys

Dinjoralo

One word. Microsoft.
I mean, why even bring it up at all of their just going to say that it's the same as the console version? It'd make sense to have something for new players to make getting in more enticing. Heck, if we're talking Microsoft being Microsoft, they'd probably have something just for booting up the W10 version to try and drive the platform even for people with an xbone.

I mean, why even bring it up at all of their just going to say that it's the same as the console version? It'd make sense to have something for new players to make getting in more enticing. Heck, if we're talking Microsoft being Microsoft, they'd probably have something just for booting up the W10 version to try and drive the platform even for people with an xbone.

Yea I expected a Killer Instinct Bundle for like $80-$90 that had all of the ultra combo packs so people who wanted to jump in when PC port came or when there was a ton of characters had a good entry point. Obviously you can get all the characters for $60, but I would imagine a good deal of people want all the costumes/accessories too.

vg260

Heck, if we're talking Microsoft being Microsoft, they'd probably have something just for booting up the W10 version to try and drive the platform even for people with an xbone.

Maybe some exclusive color unlocks if you have the PC version?

I'd certainly appreciate that. I bought everything available on the Xbox, but this was the only reason I upgraded to Windows 10.

The Flash

Banned
I don't the PC version is going to get any exclusive skins or whatever. It might but I don't know. I don't think that's something that they're going to do.

Doukou

I imagine at best it will be a new bundle available on PC and Xbox or a special discount for season 1 and 2. You have to remember that its crossbuy anything on PC will also be available for xbox players to use.

Quick question: is there a way to try out a character before I buy them? Can I use them in training mode first?

No you can only use the free character that week.

The Flash

Banned
So there's no way to try out a character before buying them unless they're the freebie for the month?

Individual characters only cost $5 as well

Edit:

Unofficial Fulgore Halo 5 armor

yNAM4gR.png

vg260

I don't the PC version is going to get any exclusive skins or whatever. It might but I don't know. I don't think that's something that they're going to do.

Why not? They already have colors tied to figures, one of which is no longer even available. It seems like a pretty smart incentive if it gets people to install Windows 10 to play the game. If they did, they probably wouldn't be tied to only one platform, but only unlockable that way.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This is the problem I have, as I mentioned my posts are not directed towards the Microsoft Dev side or IG. It's the shitty marketing team that basically forgot this game existed until the beginning of the month. And while this isn't a problem for the hardcore players (us) it is a problem for those who want to play this game for the first time on PC and the people who might want to play for the first time on Xbox One.

I guess Microsoft believe more in the long-tail, rather than the immediate attention. Word of mouth, an actual released product being in the wild, and putting support on things once a product is fully presentable all are still part of marketing... just not pre-release hype.

Clarity and solidarity of presentation are important, and it's always a wonder how they consistently choose to do things the way they do. Either something proves to them that what they do is financially sustainable and comparable, or they're just incompetent.

I appreciate what IG and MS is able to do with the limited resources they probably have, but I can't ignore the terrible job the Microsoft marketing team has done just because it's normal for digital titles or fighting games in general. This game deserves to be at the very least acknowledged by the official Xbox social media channels more than once a year.

Sounds like an issue to bring up on Xbox User Voice or with Phil really. It is one of those things that's really agitating when you're constantly around their stuff. I wonder if the ties with other games in S3 will just naturally help this as time goes on? Seeing KI spoken about at Halo World championships is pretty smart. Being able to mention the game in more areas due to the guest and having a wider variety of characters for almost every audience. That's one great thing I loved about Smash's roster constantly getting updated to go along with upcoming Nintendo releases; it makes the product seem continually relevant, as if it itself is a cornerstone of greater Nintendo Promotion.

SimonM7

Why not? They already have colors tied to figures, one of which is no longer even available. It seems like a pretty smart incentive if it gets people to install Windows 10 to play the game. If they did, they probably wouldn't be tied to only one platform, but only unlockable that way.

It's a cross-buy game. It stands to reason that there'd be content parity.

vg260

It's a cross-buy game. It stands to reason that there'd be content parity.

But the content could still be useable on both platforms (i.e tied to your account), only the means to acquire them might be different, just like the figure colors and the Ultra pack bonus colors.

Not to mention they have stated in interviews that they don't see the PC and Xbox as different versions so to speak, only a different method to play the same game, hence your player data being the same thing using cloud storage.

SimonM7

But the content could still be useable on both platforms (i.e tied to your account), only the means to acquire them might be different, just like the figure colors and the Ultra pack bonus colors.

Ordering a figure is the same for console and PC owners, though, and not locked away behind having - or not having - a different hardware setup. I don't see how gating off things on either side is fair to the other.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SMITE has skins that are exclusive to get the Xbox 1 Version, the PS4 version, and some that were only obtainable by people who played during certain times on the PC version. They have exclusive skins for signing up with social networks, completing in-game quest and events, and playing related mobile games.

They're generally all usable on the other setups, but can only be obtained by booting up the other version, and having an account from there.

I'm fine with KI doing the same with Colors. Maybe even limited accessory sets. Heck, I wish every Microsoft IP / Significant SB1 release had a KI related bonus of some sort, since it'd push the game before the eyes of a large variety of people.

The Flash

Banned
WAIT WHAT IS THIS? THIS IS FAN ART RIGHT

Yes hence "Unofficial"

Not to mention they have stated in interviews that they don't see the PC and Xbox as different versions so to speak, only a different method to play the same game, hence your player data being the same thing using cloud storage.

That would be the thing for me. If there are PC exclusive skins, I want to be able to use them on my Xbox since that's what I'm still going to be playing on for the most part.

SimonM7

SMITE has skins that are exclusive to get the Xbox 1 Version, the PS4 version, and some that were only obtainable by people who played during certain times on the PC version. They have exclusive skins for signing up with social networks, completing in-game quest and events, and playing related mobile games.

They're generally all usable on the other setups, but can only be obtained by booting up the other version, and having an account from there.

I'm fine with KI doing the same with Colors. Maybe even limited accessory sets. Heck, I wish every Microsoft IP / Significant SB1 release had a KI related bonus of some sort, since it'd push the game before the eyes of a large variety of people.

I will say that it's a first to hear people champion locking content away from the owners of a particular platform, so that's novel. :)

I think it's fun to have bonuses attached to doing different things, but I definitely reckon they should let PC and console players have a shot at the same stuff. PS and Xbox are competitors, so it makes sense that they have some incentives attached, but PC and Xbox at least *ideally* aren't competing as far as MS is concerned.

vg260

Ordering a figure is the same for console and PC owners, though, and not locked away behind having - or not having - a different hardware setup. I don't see how gating off things on either side is fair to the other.

Eh, they're already past that point of being "fair" with the exclusive color stuff. A lot of people would love all of the figure exclusive colors, but buying all of those at $30 a pop plus shipping would cost a small fortune, so that's hardly an option for the vast majority of people. Limited Shadow Jago is no longer available either. So, collecting all the colors is already out of reach for most players. A bonus color if you play once on the PC is hardly a big deal given all that. You can always try to find a friend and log in on the PC version, which isn't as outlandish as spending hundreds of dollars on figures.

I would have argued against the idea, but after the figure color thing, I've given up on the idea of all alt colors being available for anyone, and am rolling with the idea of getting different bonuses from different means, so I'm all for just giving people a similar bonus to try the game on the PC. I hope they do it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I will say that it's a first to hear people champion locking content away from the owners of a particular platform, so that's novel. :)

I think it's fun to have bonuses attached to doing different things, but I definitely reckon they should let PC and console players have a shot at the same stuff. PS and Xbox are competitors, so it makes sense that they have some incentives attached, but PC and Xbox at least *ideally* aren't competing as far as MS is concerned.

The idea that it's "locking away" is just silly to me. It's a bonus item. Something special because you got something else. People give themselves unjust annoyance by saying it's withheld from them; no, it's an in-game bonus for your out-of-game purchase.

It's not that they're competition. It's a way of saying "You supported our product in a specific way, here's something to play around with!"

There's many comic covers, cards, variant issues, store-special-edition toys, figures, Skylanders, etc that I never purchased myself, or were sold out before I got to them. Awesome for the people that got them though! I'm happy they get to show their fandom / ability to camp out in those ways. It's a Plus for them, not a detraction for me, because I have some things I've done the same for, y'know?

Not like I don't get to experience the color / costume / content when I play someone with it, anyway. The only thing I "miss out" on in this case is getting to move it with my own controller, and that's so minor and insignificant it's ridiculous. As long as it doesn't split the community or give someone unfair advantages in a competitive game (like actual exclusive characters would), go right ahead.

I would have argued against the idea, but after the figure color thing, I've given up on the idea of all alt colors being available for anyone, and am rolling with the idea of getting different bonuses from different means, so I'm all for just giving people a similar bonus to try the game on the PC. I hope they do it.

One thing nice about some of Smite's better limited content is that there's sometimes a non-limited variant on it. It's still a premium, but not... AS premium? I think that's a decent compromise, that still maintains the value of both items.

SimonM7

You can always try to find a friend and log in on the PC version, which isn't as outlandish as spending hundreds of dollars on figures.
Certainly. Instead it's just a completely arbitrary headache.

It's not that they're competition. It's a way of saying "You supported our product in a specific way, here's something to play around with!"

It's cross-buy. I don't know how "logging in at a friend's house" is "supporting the product in a specific way". I get that buying a figurine because you're a fan is, but in this case the only way you'd support anyone/thing further is by buying a gaming PC (or I guess Windows 10) or an Xbox One.

The only thing I "miss out" on in this case is getting to move it with my own controller, and that's so minor and insignificant it's ridiculous.

It's less annoying if you don't actually care in the first place, sure.

This is a really weird argument to be having, and it really just comes down to whether you wish this on people or not. I have a gaming PC and I have an Xbox One - to me, personally, it's totally inconsequential.

If I buy a variant cover comic it's because I decided to do so, it's a physical, inherently limited and therefore collectible thing in the first place - and it's reasonably priced, at least initially. If these were time limited things to artificially create some sort of collector's status, but available on both platforms, I'd agree with you. If they were specific colours/accessories across competing platforms that somehow play on the respective stable of characters or imagery - like Rocket League's Gears and Halo vehicles - I'd be cool with it.

But to each their own, and all that.

On an entirely different note, I'm having some increasingly weird problems with KI. The "checking downloadable content" prompt sticks around for ages before proceeding to the menu, and oftentimes, moving the cursor around the character select screen slows everything down to a crawl. It lags so much that you I can't even move the cursor around sometimes. I've tried hard resetting the console, but the issue comes in and out. :/

It could be like ipod headphones for TF2. Available to anyone who loaded the game up on a Mac, but usable by anyone.

TF2 items are a little different though I guess, since anyone can buy them from someone else.

The Flash

Banned
Full disclosure. The OT will probably not be 100% complete when I post it. I'm including a section that shows the alternate colors and outfits for the S3 characters but since they aren't showing Tusk's stuff until Monday his bit won't be up until it gets posted on Ultra combo. I'm also gonna do a giveaway for one of the figures as well so keep that in mind. Lady Luck just might smile on you.

Doukou

Full disclosure. The OT will probably not be 100% complete when I post it. I'm including a section that shows the alternate colors and outfits for the S3 characters but since they aren't showing Tusk's stuff until Monday his bit won't be up until it gets posted on Ultra combo. I'm also gonna do a giveaway for one of the figures as well so keep that in mind. Lady Luck just might smile on you.

Man you are going all out, will be the GOAT home of KI.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's cross-buy. I don't know how "logging in at a friend's house" is "supporting the product in a specific way".

That's a work around. The item would be given away to you because you showed interest in the Windows version. A lot of people who show a passing interest will stick around, and make full use of the features of that platform. It's a Promotional item.

It's less annoying if you don't actually care in the first place, sure.

This is a really weird argument to be having, and it really just comes down to whether you wish this on people or not. I have a gaming PC and I have an Xbox One - to me, personally, it's totally inconsequential.

It has nothing to do with how much I personally care, and I'm not "wishing the issue" on anyone, LOL. It's just... that's what it is. The way people treat digital bonus is often times like making a mountain out of a molehill. IF It's ONLY a non-gameplay related item.

I didn't have a PC that I'd feel confident running KI or anything 3D with for years, but I still wouldn't raise a stink over not being able to get 1 (or 2 or 3) color(s). I'd be happy that there's be one more "free" thing I'd gain access to for a game I'd HOPE I'm still playing when I got a better PC.

It's not suppose to "subtract value" from an item. It just adds. People deciding it detracts because "I don't have the full product" aren't being real with themselves, they're just adapting a viewpoint that makes them angry over nothing.

If I buy a variant cover comic it's because I decided to do so, it's a physical, inherently limited and therefore collectible thing in the first place - and it's reasonably priced, at least initially. If these were time limited things to artificially create some sort of collector's status, but available on both platforms, I'd agree with you.

Even a limited comic cover COULD be reprinted again if the creators wanted it to be. A limited statue could be put back into production. They're all "artificial limits", made to create some hype for an item. Just like how Disney puts movies "back into the vault" after certain print runs. Except for, say, hand-painted / crafted work, anything that goes through a printing press or a supply line is "artificially limited".

But to each their own, and all that.

I always just find it unfortunate that some people get stressed over something that SHOULD just be good for everyone. Companies make special deals, or get budget increases due to promo items. Thus more content gets into the game we love. The chances to get such items, or to play with them in your game are always present, even if limited. But because of ONE small caveat, people turn it into villainy rather than a helpful boon for something they love.

Whatever exist as a bonus digital promotional item probably wouldn't even exist if not for being a promotional item.

There's enough REAL stresses in this world that people shouldn't get bent out of shape over something that SHOULD just bring us additional facets of fun. It's like watching a group of kids happy that they got candy, and watching 1 get depressed not because they didn't get the same candy too, but because the got the wrong color wrapper, or the piece they got has a funny shape. (I have 3 siblings, so I ran into situations like this a lot in my life, lol.)

hey random question, can someone see if captcha is not wokring when trying to reset your password on GAF? Someone I know can't get it to show and I tried multiple browsers and have the same issue

The Flash

Banned
When does the OT go up?

Sometime on Monday. I got that and Tuesday off of work which is nice. Happened at a good time too cause things have been crazy lately I'm in need of some serious R&R.

The remaining things that I "need" are Tusk's stuff, Kim's Hero Art, PC pricing, and UI info. I think that's about it. My friend should be able to wrap up the commission on Saturday and the special project I'm working will probably be finalized on Sunday.

Top Bottom