• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/wow-the-new-level-4-ender-looks-great-in-this-clip-that-was-just-released/6530/140

Yes! Here comes the bad news though:

Got an email late last night saying the website was back up!
Went home from the wonderful 4/5 I saw of BvS and checked the site... UH OH
All content from the past week was completely gone
Found a backup from Sunday
I wrote everything for this blog Monday - it's not there
Going to rewrite, by my day is already packed solid. Was praying for backups but they aren't there. Don't know what that means for specific timetables, but will get it up as soon as I can for you.

UI, Arbiter, PC Pricing & FAQ (tomorrow for sure - and no I am not telling you what you can spend KI Gold on in the future), and I put in an ask to finally expedite those Bonus Retro Color 7's... We shall see on that last one.

Such a shit show.

The Flash

Banned
UI, Arbiter, PC Pricing & FAQ

nDCilWi.png

Edit: Arbiter's accessories and colors are up

http://www.ultra-combo.com/arbiters-colors-accessories/

.la1n

Arbiter does look amazing. Model, textures, everything is leagues above the other season 3 cast. Shows where priorities were I guess.

Expedite request to show us color 7 retros when you have it as an incentive for pre order right now and want us to spend money on it? What the shit is that.

I want to know what idiot the request has to be sent to.

Game is out next week and they can't go ahead and show Tusk' colors, etc? Why?

Edit: Flash, you know what do. Mock them more in OT. What a terrible launch.

The Flash

Banned
Edit: Flash, you know what do. Mock them more in OT. What a terrible launch.

I told Isgreen that the marketing for the game has been bad and that he should feel bad in chat. Now I'm having a back and forth with someone who told me to go back to "CrapGAF".

Edit:

Isgreen said they can look into classic tracks being in music select. Someone at the stream also called him out on making sure things are explicitly stated.

Changes to leagues sound nice. Should be able to avoid a lot of the frustration now.

Edit: For those that missed it.

Everyone gets their rank reset on April 1.
Can optionally re-qualify once per month if you want.
They've introduced more anti-cheat measures.
If you're a Killer and are inactive for an entire month then you'll be knocked down to Gold tier with 0 points.
Promotional matches will only be against people that are the same rank or higher than you. So if you're Gold you can only rank up into Killer by beating another Gold/Killer player.
Gold tier will now be best 2 out of 3 matches.

The Flash

Banned
Everyone gets their rank reset on April 1.
Can optionally re-qualify once per month if you want.
They've introduced more anti-cheat measures.
If you're a Killer and are inactive for an entire month then you'll be knocked down to Gold tier with 0 points.
Promotional matches will only be against people that are the same rank or higher than you. So if you're Gold you can only rank up into Killer by beating another Gold/Killer player.
Gold tier will now be best 2 out of 3 matches.

tumblr_inline_mfzg9fso7H1qcn3a6.gif

I don't think so. KI4Life tweeted it, Keits retweeted, I saw the retweet, posted it here.

Hmmm. Well, that's interesting. I'm not really sure if this counts as a leak.

I guess I'll wait until the website officially shows off Tusk's colors and retro costume, which...I think is next week? Maybe I'll see it in the game before the website.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Hmmm. Well, that's interesting. I'm not really sure if this counts as a leak.

I guess I'll wait until the website officially shows off Tusk's colors and retro costume, which...I think is next week? Maybe I'll see it in the game before the website.

they showed it on stream as a tease for next week lol

I told Isgreen that the marketing for the game has been bad and that he should feel bad in chat. Now I'm having a back and forth with someone who told me to go back to "CrapGAF".

I really don't think Adam will argue with you on that. The marketing/PR has been abysmal, and if anyone argues that they should take a look at literally any other game or DLC marketing.

Price and Date should have been known last month. The reason why only three stages are coming this season shouldn't still be unknown. PC info (bundle, options, gameplay) should have came out late last month. Where's the combo breaker pack? Why is there no launch trailer a week before launch? Where's that "So thats where all the resources went" item that Adam mentioned months ago. Why don't season three character trailers get uploaded to the Xbox YouTube channel? Why don't they get tweeted about on the Xbox twitter. What's going to be purchasable with KI Gold?

I hate bitching about Killer Instinct, because I do really, really love it. But how are we supposed to grow this community when there's literally no effort by the publisher to properly market it. AGAIN this is not a dig at Adam, or his team. The issue I have is with Xbox's poor marketing team.

hwalker84

I really don't think Adam will argue with you on that. The marketing/PR has been abysmal, and if anyone argues that they should take a look at literally any other game or DLC marketing.

Price and Date should have been known last month. The reason why only three stages are coming this season shouldn't still be unknown. PC info (bundle, options, gameplay) should have came out late last month. Where's the combo breaker pack? Why is there no launch trailer a week before launch? Where's that "So thats where all the resources went" item that Adam mentioned months ago. Why don't season three character trailers get uploaded to the Xbox YouTube channel? Why don't they get tweeted about on the Xbox twitter. What's going to be purchasable with KI Gold?

I hate bitching about Killer Instinct, because I do really, really love it. But how are we supposed to grow this community when there's literally no effort by the publisher to properly market it. AGAIN this is not a dig at Adam, or his team. The issue I have is with Xbox's poor marketing team.
Worse PR/marketing campaign I've ever seen. Disgraceful for such a fantastic game. What's sad is it doesn't seem like they think anything is wrong with how Season 3 is being handled.

You said it better than I probably ever could.

I don't know what the hell is going on with the PR team for this game but the work they've put in is abysmal and it seems like nobody gives a shit that their work is so subpar.

The Flash

Banned

Couldn't agree more. I frickin' love this game but dadgum the way it's been handled this season has been atrocious.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

I'm quoting this one more time cause it's so right on.

I honesty believe I could have marketed this game by myself better than whatever group of people tasked with job have over the past year...its nothing short of lazy, pathetic and embarrassing.

VariantX

The bolded is driving me up the wall. I have literally no Idea of the pricing scheme for seasons 1/2 on PC, I don't know if the PC audience will be able to purchase the Season 1/2 ultra editions and get classic KI 1/2, or if they're even being offered at all to the PC audience. The game doesn't even have a page on the Win 10 store that says "coming soon" with some basic info on it or a trailer. Tomb Raider had a page on the store at least a few weeks before it launched with that info.

Sydle

Agreed. The way it's been handled post KIWC leading up to this season's release has been a huge buzzkill for me. I love the look of the new characters and stages, but I can't believe we're a week from release and we still don't know what modes are coming (or rather, what exactly they are) and we haven't seen very much of the PC version.

I'm still hoping they have a big pre-release info dump on Friday or Monday AND give us some details about upcoming community events.

mdsfx

Couldn't agree more. If I were the team developing this title I would be SEVERELY disappointed in Microsoft's lack of effort to promote it and ensure a smooth and complete launch.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It always just feels a bit hyperbolic to call KI's marketing "Atrocious". When stuff does happen (The live patch notes, the weekly streams, the blog post, story updates, GWG for S1, Sales for S2 right before S3 Launch, characters for $1 for consistent weeks at a time, etc), they're pretty solid ideas. Some of them are excellent, and are at a class beyond many other digital only/primarily games.

But all that goodwill seems to be severely forgotten once something goes wrong.

There's a lot KI does that I wish other fighters where as forthcoming with.

The reaction in-game to complaints outside of it are some of the most solid amongst any out there, and the red-tape of Microsoft at least is in my language, unlike the red tape of Capcom Japan or SNKP or even Namco. I really appreciate the direct twitter feed, message board post, and overall very close feel that the connection between the fan base and devs on the game have. MK might do something similar at times, but I don't care about it anyway near as much as a game or series, so I can't really say from first hand.

It's been pretty weird to me that Alex and Story shows up at the months end in SFV, and we've heard like.. nothing since 1 set of screenshots? Did I miss a gameplay trailer?

In comparison, I've seen 6 or so new characters and a big showing at PS Arena for KoF XIV, and I've seen costumes, gameplay streams, community players dropping in, and streams from Keit's Basement for KI, over basically that same amount of time.

It makes me feel bad for the KI guys, because I feel like the real issues I have with this games marketing isn't so much anything purely KI related, but just "Microsoft Digital Games" marketing in general. It's almost everything that was annoying on XBLA in the 360 days, but still 100 times better than those dark times.

You see guys like Keits and Adam, who obviously have a pretty good grasp on how we feel about this stuff, and are basically right there with us. But if the powers that be are just stubborn and act in a way that seems to shift every few YEARS rather than every few days or weeks, what can you do?

At any rate, it feels good in a week that I'll be playing around with all this stuff, for real. Almost all issues disappear then, and any that don't are generally willing to be patched and worked on by the team behind the game. Lets hope the release of the game proper, and the character going forward, can at least have some bit of tangible improvement to them.

hwalker84

Couldn't agree more. If I were the team developing this title I would be SEVERELY disappointed in Microsoft's lack of effort to promote it and ensure a smooth and complete launch.
I just wonder who's at fault for this shit show? Is the game coming in so hot IG didn't have enough to show in advanced to even get behind?

I was thinking about the new music select option in Season 3. It's been a polarizing change for some reason. A lot of folks have the sentiment of "it's weird hearing this theme on this stage".

Personally, I think they're character themes more so than stage themes. In games like Guilty Gear, Blazblue and some of the Street Fighter and King of Fighters games, when you would fight against a character, their theme would play as you fought them, regardless of the stage.

I think that the music select option should have the option of "player 2 character theme", as that's how it's usually done in fighting games with character themes; you hear player 2's character theme when you fight against them. Like, I'm fighting against Rash on Thunder's stage, and Rash's theme plays during the fight, which makes sense because I'm fighting against Rash who is also player 2.

The music select should have the options "random theme", "player 1 character theme" and "player 2 character theme". I'm not sure how difficult it would be to code options like that into the game, but I think that's what should be done in a future update.

The Flash

Banned
The music select should have the options "random theme", "player 1 character theme" and "player 2 character theme". I'm not sure how difficult it would be to code options like that into the game, but I think that's what should be done in a future update.

During last week's stream the topic of random select was brought up and Isgreen stated that he thought that it was already in the game. Since it's not he said it's another thing that they can definitely look into.

I didn't hear exactly what he said for classic tracks because he was so far from the mic but one bit that he did say was that the problem with the classic tracks was that they are not dynamically arranged like the current themes are. He did for sure say that they will look into to making them available for theme selection.

SimonM7

Is proper profile handling a thing that people have brought up?

When me and a friend play KI locally we've tried logging him in here, but nothing seems to actually be brought across by doing that. He's unlocked a bunch of colours and accessory configs, and he can't use any of it when logged in on my Xbox.

IG/MS have been good about listening to their community for feedback and suggestions, but I dunno if this has any traction whatsoever. It's certainly no deal-breaker, but with such an ostensibly robust profile system in place, I dunno why it isn't a no-brainer.

SimonM7

You guys think KI will gain some popularity once it's released on PC and the port is handled well?

I definitely believe it will be an opportunity for it to. If enough people give it a shot because it's on there, and they make positive noise about the game - which I rrrreally feel has been dismissed outright so far because everyone and their dog is playing on PS4s this generation - it's a small enough leap to make to buy something off a store that is *right there* that it's possible.

I mean people do dismiss the windows store outright, too, but whether they like it or not there's no price barrier to giving it a shot.

vg260

You guys think KI will gain some popularity once it's released on PC and the port is handled well?

Some, but I think windows 10 will still hold the game back.

Also, on the PC subject, I just saw this:
http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/warning-do-not-start-win10-version-of-ki-1st/6600

Apparently if you have the xbox version and get the PC one too:
Make sure you start the S3 version of the game first on the Xbox to sync your profile, or you could overwrite it with a new save from the PC.
Apparently there are in-game warnings, but good to know.

I don't know why Xbox doesn't let you back up saves locally like the 360 and PS4 let you do.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/warning-do-not-start-win10-version-of-ki-1st/6600

Make sure you start the S3 version of the game first on the Xbox to sync your profile, or you could overwrite it with a new save from the PC.

I don't know why Xbox doesn't let you back up saves locally like the 360 and PS4 let you do.
Oh my god....the rage that would ensue. I hope they make that warning very very clear in the game.

mdsfx

Ugh... and for those of us who don't have an XB1 anymore, but originally played KI on it and are switching to PC? I'm guessing we're SOL?

Dinjoralo

Huh, weird how they specifically mention PC pricing on that post. Are PC players going to be getting something special to make up for the wait? A launch discount only on the windows store, maybe? That'd be nice.

As for whether the new version will help the game grow, I kinda doubt it. Being locked to a storefront people don't have a reason to check for actual games is going to seriously limit it's potential for early sales. That's not even mentioning all the people up in arms about the store and what Microsoft's been doing recently.

The Flash

Banned
Oh my god....the rage that would ensue. I hope they make that warning very very clear in the game.

The programmer for this was on stream yesterday and she said she was taking extra precaution to make sure that the pop up message for this was abundantly clear

Huh, weird how they specifically mention PC pricing on that post. Are PC players going to be getting something special to make up for the wait? A launch discount only on the windows store, maybe? That'd be nice.

One word. Microsoft.

Top Bottom