• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Sydle

For the last year orso I've been wanting to get into KI. I've tried the game a couple of times, for some reason every time I did the free character was Jango(?), and I give up fairly quickly because I don't like his playstyle.
Giant bomb recently did a KI S2 quick look where David Lang said that Sabrewulf is a good starting character. How correct is this? If I were to get the first season would I still be able to play online or will I just get massacred?

Jango lol

Sabrewulf is very easy to pick up. He's a pure rush down character , can get in fast, and his moves are B,F or U,D so they're easy to execute.

Yes, you can still go online with just Season 1. You will get bodied online until you learn the matchups.

For the last year orso I've been wanting to get into KI. I've tried the game a couple of times, for some reason every time I did the free character was Jango(?), and I give up fairly quickly because I don't like his playstyle.
Giant bomb recently did a KI S2 quick look where David Lang said that Sabrewulf is a good starting character. How correct is this? If I were to get the first season would I still be able to play online or will I just get massacred?

dead

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The linkers are the same, meaning they're just as easy to break. They aren't fast enough to make it difficult to determine if it's a light, medium or heavy. Outside of Sabrewulf's Ragged Edge linkers, I'd say they're close to being the easiest to break in the game.

Nice write-ups!

Regarding her easy to break linkers + Manual demand, Do you think this might be a conscious design choice with Maya? The Street Fighter/Capcom based work from IG might make them more apt to working on links and Frametrap situations then pure KI Linker/Autos-based gameplay. They won't be able to do this all season long, but for their first characters, it's a decent way to add somewhat new styles of play into the game.

....Or it could just be sloppy / changed programming. That Shadow Cancel window after her Shadow kicks opener is weird. As is being able to land Damage Ender after Instinct cancel. I kinda hope her daggers stay unbreakable at range, it's a slightly fair tradeoff for the fact she has to be so careful with them, and the relative ease of breaking her other options.. Her range game suffers far greater than Glacius' if she makes a mistake, and he has superior close-range and screen-controlling tools to boot.

And while manuals are easy after the daggers, you simply cannot use daggers as linkers unless you're fishing for counter breaker bait. You have more time to break dagger linkers than you do for heavy auto-doubles.

This does seem like it could limit their use at high level play. Do you think they should make new Linker-only versions of the dagger strikes, perhaps? Make Temperance only hit once, maybe?

Maya has tons of damage with minimal break opportunities, but I think all of this is going to get patched out. Those daggers are supposed to be breakable, I'm 99% sure of that.

Maya Ridiculousness: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=cd737d66d6303bd2&id=CD737D66D6303BD2!204&v=3

Maya Riduculousness Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN8Y8d9FRB4&feature=youtu.be

Going by their "always a 2 way interaction" ideals, they probably will be. Actually, can Jago's double Endo's be broken under manual timing? I think he can land 4+Shadow for 23% unbreakable. Personally, I LIKE some guaranteed, unbreakable stuff in the game, as long as it's locked behind heavy meter / resource requirements, and requires some skill/planning.

No-one on the DH forums seems to care about the fact she CAN lose her daggers. They're all just concentrating on calling her an OP B*! Yay, fun times are here again!

(-_-;)

Nice how they show respect to Terrence "PushaTee88". That's a sad situation to hear about :( All those dreams and aspirations, put to a stop so suddenly. Really a serious shame. Prayers out to his friends and family.

=====

The Custom Slots thing... Eeeugh. I don't like having less than before, but with the increase in character and accessory number, this might be required. Guess we'll see.

New ranks sound cool. Best 2 out of 3 should make for exciting matches.

sorc_tease1.PNG

O.O

Yeah, totally reminds me of the years where I collected comic book cards... The art quality looks pretty similar too! Same high-grade look Maya's art had to it, looking forward to seeing the rest. A Babylonian Sorcerer is a pretty unique point of inspiration.

I really like the streamlined unlocks. Just having EXP and per-character unlocks automatically added (and one list you can pull up to see what the next item per character is) has been way smoother for me. In a way, I'm almost glad I hadn't unlocked a whole lot in season one using the KP store.

I do like this element of it. I also like that art and soundtracks are unlocked with the rest of things. I'm guess I'm not as annoyed by the changes after my original S1 save was overwritten.

I REALLY wish they'd start tracking Player 2's profile / stats in 2 player local games, though. Either have it boost P1's profile additionally, or have P2 able to make their own unlocks. It's pretty goofy to have dependable local friends who main characters, who'll never get to have their custom items or colors set they way they want to, unless I play them religiously.

Local is the B&B of Fighting games, I hate how 2nd class it's become since online took over .... :-/

Was wonder about this as well. Couldn't you press a on a trial and be taken directly to an area to try it out? (eg. dogo trials took you to the dojo mission)

I don't think you could skip to it's place, but you could choose to pay KP to skip the trial itself. Taking trials off the main menu and hiding them in a corner is REALLY odd. There should be a trials ticker or something on the introductory menu screens / going by while waiting for online games...

I'm actually not liking Maya at the moment. I think she's the easiest character to break in the game right now since she only has one Linker and her mid-combo daggers are by far the easiest thing to break.

I also don't like how daggers will fly off-screen. The opponent can prevent the screen from moving which means you can't get your dagger back until you can somehow force them to move (which isn't easy).

That's something that has to stay. It has to. As someone who plays Cody(Vega players know this too) in Street Fighter, I've had to learn to have fun with the knife(claw/mask) but at the cost the opponent gets smart and stops me form move back. When I do this to Maya, I want them to realise that's their fault. I even teabag at the end of the screen because I've found the opponent gets arsey about not being able to pick up their daggers. Be smart and you won't end up looking stupid.

M main problem with Maya though is not her playstyle, but her animations. Just...eh. They're too jarring to fight against.

Here's my day two breakdown of Maya...

http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/tips/killer-instinct-maya-breakdown

And what to expect from S2 (pretty straightforward)...

http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/feature/whats-new-killer-instinct-season-two

The linkers are the same, meaning they're just as easy to break. They aren't fast enough to make it difficult to determine if it's a light, medium or heavy. Outside of Sabrewulf's Ragged Edge linkers, I'd say they're close to being the easiest to break in the game.

And while manuals are easy after the daggers, you simply cannot use daggers as linkers unless you're fishing for counter breaker bait. You have more time to break dagger linkers than you do for heavy auto-doubles.

Maya has tons of damage with minimal break opportunities, but I think all of this is going to get patched out. Those daggers are supposed to be breakable, I'm 99% sure of that.

Maya Ridiculousness: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=cd737d66d6303bd2&id=CD737D66D6303BD2!204&v=3

Maya Riduculousness Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN8Y8d9FRB4&feature=youtu.be

Nice write ups! I've only read Maya but it was definitely insightful and well explained. Good job :)
I guess I will be keeping my throw back red pin tile.

So pissed we never got that in Europe. It's annoying.

Edit: I also have this to show. I completely disagree with it being in the game since it doesn't follow the mechanics in the game.

CEOJebailey

Neo Member
I'll admit I do miss seeing who I am playing before a match, no idea why they decided to change that. Kind of defeats the purpose of ranked matches if you are the only one that can see it. Like I said they may have been trying to prevent pre-match quitting but doesn't explain why it's absent throughout the match.

We are revamping the online ranking system in a future update, so what you see now will be different when released. Glad to read all the comments and everyone's mostly enjoying Season 2 so far.

We're really working hard with MS to continue to improve everything in the game and take everyone's feedback into consideration.

I'll be checking out the thread here on a regular basis to see what everyone thinks as we bring out more content.

Alex Jebailey(Same guy, the host of CEO in Florida)
Community Manager for Iron Galaxy Studios

Defect

Man it really sucks that I can't just pay $20 to upgrade to the Ultra Edition.

Why is this still not possible? It pisses me off.

Man it really sucks that I can't just pay $20 to upgrade to the Ultra Edition.

Why is this still not possible? It pisses me off.

The odd thing to me is that they had a "sale" a while ago where the ultra edition was $20 for people that owned the combo breaker back and then it was $30ish something for people that didn't. So they can obviously detect if you own the combo breaker pack which to me means the ultra edition should never be listed for more than $20 on the store for people that own it. No idea why they haven't done this as a permanent thing yet.

I just listened to the hidden theme for Maya, and even if it repeats the same thing throughout most of the song.. I absolutely love it. Gah. I can't stop listening to it! It's just beautiful. :3

When I do this to Maya, I want them to realise that's their fault. I even teabag at the end of the screen because I've found the opponent gets arsey about not being able to pick up their daggers. Be smart and you won't end up looking stupid.

Note To Self: Never play against BumblebeeCody.

TeRey09

The odd thing to me is that they had a "sale" a while ago where the ultra edition was $20 for people that owned the combo breaker back and then it was $30ish something for people that didn't. So they can obviously detect if you own the combo breaker pack which to me means the ultra edition should never be listed for more than $20 on the store for people that own it. No idea why they haven't done this as a permanent thing yet.

S2 Ultra was $35.99 for S1 Ultra owners for Sept 23- Sept 29. S2 Ultra was never $20.

Nori Chan

We are revamping the online ranking system in a future update, so what you see now will be different when released. Glad to read all the comments and everyone's mostly enjoying Season 2 so far.

We're really working hard with MS to continue to improve everything in the game and take everyone's feedback into consideration.

I'll be checking out the thread here on a regular basis to see what everyone thinks as we bring out more content.

Welcome to Gaf Jebailey! You'll love the fgc community here.

also please fix the colors and accessory things :( Like how it was in season 1 where every color for a costume can place accessories on them

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Thanks for the info, glad to see you here! :)

please improve the look of character select screen

CEOJebailey

Neo Member
Jebailey remembered his GAF account?! kappa

You and IG are good ppl.

Haha I never forgot it I just have so much to keep track of online between IG, our official KI forum, CEO, full time day job with family still so I tend to lose track. Neogaf is always so awesomely active I can't keep up most of the time.

I'll do my best to keep up here since I see some great posts and "detective work" on the new characters.

clav

Easiest character to learn. You can button mash, and it will feel like you're doing a lot.

However, if you're serious about learning this game, you will need to set aside time to learn mechanics. Be patient.

TeRey09

Alright, so, I'm a bit confused.

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=2533274794783503&gamertag=BananasWithGuns&vid=bfefbeee-408b-490f-814d-ded71f13d072

Can anyone help me understand what happens with that shadow counter at 19ish seconds? He got locked out and it looked like my Shadow Tumble Kick connected fine so I'm just confused as to what exactly happened. Wondering what I'm missing.

I just PLAYED YOU!!!

Anyway I think you have to have an auto double or manual after an opener for it to combo. I bet he was holding back and was able to block as well as mashing mediums to combo break which led to the shadow counter.

How'd I do?

I just PLAYED YOU!!!

Anyway I think you have to have an auto double or manual after an opener for it to combo. I bet he was holding back and was able to block as well as mashing mediums to combo break which led to the shadow counter.

How'd I do?

I see, that makes sense. Thought it looked like the move connected but maybe not.

Were you playing as TJ? I almost never look at the gamertags honestly lol.

Any advice on giving pressure?

I use a lot of Hornbreaker (forward + heavy punch overhead), Ankle Slicer, and back grab (to start combos when they block alot). Call of Earth is good too and the heavy version has some nice range to it.

You can chain the overhead directly into Ankle Slicer too which will mix up a decent amount of people and I think Ankle Slicer is relatively safe. Also your Instinct can cross up people pretty well. Dash across them and use Ankle Slicer or something similar and more often than not you should land it.

Also, I've only played him a handful of times since the new patch but, that new Call of Sky move (LB/all three punches) will help against people that just want to run away and I'm sure it's a godsend against Sadiras and people that love to jump.

I'm no expert though so I'm sure there's better advice out there lol. Just speaking from my experience as Thunder but I feel like I do decently well.

Misread as pleasure.

Haha.

TeRey09

I use a lot of Hornbreaker (forward + heavy punch overhead), Ankle Slicer, and back grab (to start combos when they block alot). Call of Earth is good too and the heavy version has some nice range to it.

You can chain the overhead directly into Ankle Slicer too which will mix up a decent amount of people and I think Ankle Slicer is relatively safe. Also your Instinct can cross up people pretty well. Dash across them and use Ankle Slicer or something similar and more often than not you should land it.

Also, I've only played him a handful of times since the new patch but, that new Call of Sky move (LB/all three punches) will help against people that just want to run away and I'm sure it's a godsend against Sadiras and people that love to jump.

I'm no expert though so I'm sure there's better advice out there lol. Just speaking from my experience as Thunder but I feel like I do decently well.

Haha.

Thanks, I'll try that.

First thing is I love the graphics improvements, game models look sooo much better now. Also like how you can unlock stuff offline. I do though hope you guys go back to each color having it's own outfit selection.

I missed the last one, but the two CEO's before I got to attend. First one was my first major, actually and I had a blast both times. Going to try to go this upcoming year. You throw a hell of an event!

I guess they really hardcore gimped the requirements for fight titles/challenges with the reset. I'm already at 122 for Maya and I've only played maybe 90 matches. Definitely going to make the achievements easier.

Probably Shadow Jago? Are you saying a character from S1 is included in S2 as a regular character now? Fuck that shit, what a waste that would be.

Silky

Banned
Probably Shadow Jago? Are you saying a character from S1 is included in S2 as a regular character now? Fuck that shit, what a waste that would be.

That was the original plan as intended.

As it stands now Shadow Jago isn't a character. He's essentially an alternate costume for Jago. They're going to add MUCH more to him.

Did they fuck up the character customization?
It doesn't seem like you can edit costumes on a per colour basis anymore. I hate this change :(

Did they fuck up the character customization?
It doesn't seem like you can edit costumes on a per colour basis anymore. I hate this change :(

Yeah, not sure why they did away with that.

Adam Isgreen did say in the latest textual stream that they would be in adding in 3 slots to each character for customization. Still seems like a step backwards but it's better than right now.

Yeah, not sure why they did away with that.

Adam Isgreen did say in the latest textual stream that they would be in adding in 3 slots to each character for customization. Still seems like a step backwards but it's better than right now.

Well im glad they are improving whats there, but yeah that will still be worse than what was there before.

Top Bottom