• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead (PC) |OT| F*** Off Into Space!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mondo is Ragna from BlazBlue(Patrick Seitz) and David is Akihiko from P3(Liam O'Brian), so yeah.
Vivienne does Mitsuru Kirijo and Elizabeth from Persona 4: Arena

Most of the cast has done tons of cool stuff for most of the part. Mika's voice actress has been doing mostly the same character.

Gambit61

Convinced another pal to pick up the game (he's big Suda fan, he just didn't know this just came out on the PC) and he just reported that he's facing the infamous endless loading bug at the beginning of Episode 3 (Alice mission). It just sits there forever after you hear the briefing from Alisa, leave her room, hear your first "date" call you and complain about you not paying attention to her to unlock her mission.

Damn, I feel guilty for making him spend that money on a buggy product. Thing is, nobody on GAF seems to have experienced the issue, so I thought the game was good to go (besides the tweaks for 60 FPS and 1080p+ resolutions). I don't have the issue either.

I'll try to get him install the game on one of his other PCs from Steam, apparently it affects some PCs, not all. Browsing through that link on Steam community, it seems like no-one's bothered to share their specs in that thread, so the common denominator between those who're experiencing the issue has yet to be found. Also, before you ask, he's already verified the integrity of the game files, and he was running it on a desktop with Windows 7 SP1 x64. Still happens, regardless.

Has he tried launching the game in adminstrator mode? I've had some weird issues with Steam games that were fixed by launching the game with adminstrator rights.

ArjanN

Thanks a bunch. One more question (stupid one I know). What does verifying integrity of the game cache do exactly? Is it some form of performance optimization?

It compares the game files you have on installed your computer with those of of the latest version on the steam servers. If its different in anyway it replaces or adds on any files.

Skyzard

Banned
Hi guys, does changing the settings in the INI file cause any problems with the game? Time-based challenges or anything? Think I read a post a while back about that but I can't seem to find it now.

Mohasus

Hi guys, does changing the settings in the INI file cause any problems with the game? Time-based challenges or anything? Think I read a post a while back about that but I can't seem to find it now.

It does, but editing another ini file fixes it. Read the OP.

I'm on episode 8, no problems so far.

Dr Dogg

Right I got crashing every time on the Koharu dates when starting them up with out going in to another level. While that trick is a work around resetting just the smoothing rate setting back to normal I had no errors or crashes, even with higher resolutions. So should be noted that if you want a higher frame rate that mission is a little bit buggy.

Anyhoo on more cheery news got SLI working, so for you Nvidia folks with 2 cards the bits I used were 0x02400005 but they're not getting perfect utilisation so some further digging is going to be needed to get it set up perfect. Still 4800x2700 and 8xSGSSAA is definitely on the cards now!

Vazra

Right I got crashing every time on the Koharu dates when starting them up with out going in to another level. While that trick is a work around resetting just the smoothing rate setting back to normal I had no errors or crashes, even with higher resolutions. So should be noted that if you want a higher frame rate that mission is a little bit buggy.

Anyhoo on more cheery news got SLI working, so for you Nvidia folks with 2 cards the bits I used were 0x02400005 but they're not getting perfect utilisation so some further digging is going to be needed to get it set up perfect. Still 4800x2700 and 8xSGSSAA is definitely on the cards now!

Sorry for the dumb question but how do I know if my graphic card has SLI?

Tizoc

So hold up to avoid Koharu crashing on me, I need to do another stage or Beauty's voyeur-ing first then go into hers?

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
  • The only issue I've had thus far is using RadeonPro prevented me from starting the Third Gigolo Mission. I disabled Radeonpro (but kept the .ini changes) and it worked fine.
  • This game is pretty awesome, digging the style and reminds me of another game suda was involved in; Shadows of the Damned.

HUDless is the way to play, as long as you already know the systems in place. Some things still pop up like the level up notifications, load splatter, radio chatter and item icons. Other than those instances, clean as a sidewalk in Singapore.

Vazra

I think I might be able to replace the prerendered cutscenes with 1920x1080 cutscenes but it will be a pain in the butt to record and edit stuff together >.>

Vazra

This would be really nice. o:

I think it would be good to do it with cooperation. Divide the cutscenes between people and upload them somewhere (Mediafire, Mega, etc)

We need to use this tool to convert it to bik video http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm which is the format the game uses. We could find a proper format to compress the movie files properly or we can leave them uncompressed but it would take tons of space. Take in consideration a 1920 x1080 video of 3 minutes takes around 1.18gb.

If this happens we need to organize our shit >.>

EDIT: My estimates would be 45GB of uncompressed cutscenes so yeah gotta compress the shit out of it.

Hey guys, I have a friend who's offering to gift me a copy of Killer is Dead but I have to ask, how good is the port ( aside from the whole fiddling with ini files, which I've come to expect from UE3 games).

What kind of performance will I get on my PC?
Specs are:

i5 4670k at stock speeds.
760 GTX
8 GB RAM
Windows 7

Could I even go as far as to insert some SGSSAA or MSAA at 1080p?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hey guys, I have a friend who's offering to gift me a copy of Killer is Dead but I have to ask, how good is the port ( aside from the whole fiddling with ini files, which I've come to expect from UE3 games).

What kind of performance will I get on my PC?
Specs are:

i5 4670k at stock speeds.
760 GTX
8 GB RAM
Windows 7

Could I even go as far as to insert some SGSSAA or MSAA at 1080p?
That's pretty close to my build currently. I'll give it a go when I get my new mobo in tomorrow.

Vazra

if i wanted to help with this, what, just record cutscenes with max settings?

You record them on Max Settings and I did a little research since my last post. You can use this program http://handbrake.fr/ and it will cut the size yet keeping a good quality. Used these instructions to compress to a decent size.

Video went from 1.18GB to 449MB and it looks pretty good if you ask me.
Original Video Torrent
Compressed Video Torrent
After compressing the video you will then BINK it with Radtools which will take 2-3hours to convert a 3 minute video LOL

Will mess around with the game cutscenes later and see how that goes. Im not confirming that I will be working on it until I get my work done properly. I will discuss a bit more later if things go as I plan.

I think it would be good to do it with cooperation. Divide the cutscenes between people and upload them somewhere (Mediafire, Mega, etc)

We need to use this tool to convert it to bik video http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm which is the format the game uses. We could find a proper format to compress the movie files properly or we can leave them uncompressed but it would take tons of space. Take in consideration a 1920 x1080 video of 3 minutes takes around 1.18gb.

If this happens we need to organize our shit >.>

EDIT: My estimates would be 45GB of uncompressed cutscenes so yeah gotta compress the shit out of it.

How is this possible, where are you getting the uncompressed 1080p realtime cutscenes from? The PS3 version?

Vazra

How is this possible, where are you getting the uncompressed 1080p realtime cutscenes from? The PS3 version?
Im playing the game and recording the cutscenes from the playthrough and not the theater mode.
I will focus on story cutscenes. Gigolo missions are the lowest on my priority list.

Im playing the game and recording the cutscenes from the playthrough and not the theater mode.
I will focus on story cutscenes. Gigolo missions are the lowest on my priority list.

Oh, so theater mode is just the low quality, prerendered versions of the rendered realtime cutscenes you see when actually playing the game?

They should've just loaded the realtime rendered versions in theater mode too.

Thanks for the clarification.

Vazra

Oh, so theater mode is just the low quality, prerendered versions of the rendered realtime cutscenes you see when actually playing the game?

They should've just loaded the realtime rendered versions in theater mode too.

Thanks for the clarification.
Correct . Real Time cutscenes in the game run at your resolution but theater mode prerendered them at 720 and 30fps. 1920 x 1080 at 60fps it's how I shall record em. I think that should be good enough.

They are prerendered cause there would be loading times between scenes so prerendered makes sense for faster play.

Tizoc

I Verified the Integrity of the KiD files and it mentioned that 14 files were corrupted and that it fixed them.

Dr Dogg

Blink video has a horribly old and outdated compression algorithm (hence the rotten vids we got here). I can imagine some high res ones really pushing the limits on file sizes to look anything like in game. Still could be a fun experiment for you Nito ;)

Vazra

Blink video has a horribly old and outdated compression algorithm (hence the rotten vids we got here). I can imagine some high res ones really pushing the limits on file sizes to look anything like in game. Still could be a fun experiment for you Nito ;)
The video conversion is a big ass mess. 2 hours for a 3 min video. I left the laptop on doing the work.

I shall report on the test when I get back

Vazra

Changed a cutscene and the game does not open. Gets stuck on a loading :(

Will continue testing a bit and hope I find why that didnt work.

Changed a cutscene and the game does not open. Gets stuck on a loading :(

Will continue testing a bit and hope I find why that didnt work.

Is it possible the video display resolution is buried in an ini, causing the lock?

Edit:

Also, I'm willing to chip in. If you want to shoot me a PM, tell me what scenes need to be done, this could be completed much faster.

Vazra

Is it possible the video display resolution is buried in an ini, causing the lock?

Edit:

Also, I'm willing to chip in. If you want to shoot me a PM, tell me what scenes need to be done, this could be completed much faster.

If I manage to figure out how to get the game back to working shape I would hook you up but atm the game even when I returned it to default it continues crashing. >.>

Mononoke

Banned
All in all, I enjoyed this game. I guess I'm more so just let down by what it could have been. I loved the world/characters and specifically its style/tone. I wasn't even bothered by the bat shit insane logic/story. That was apart of the charm for me. But the game feels rushed (how quickly the plot progresses, and how the levels kind of start to feel disconnected from the story).
The ending was confusing as hell, which again I'm okay with. But I think even confusing ass plot needs to sort of come together in its own confusing way. And for me, it wasn't even that it didn't make sense that bugged me, it was how...abruptly it ended. It reveals a bunch of important information, and quickly moves past it..and then just ends. It makes the whole experience feel..cheap. I dunno.
So overall, I did love this game. I enjoyed the controls, and the overall world/characters. I just wish the game was more fleshed out.

Vazra

93Y91.png

Any idea on how I can fix this? The game wont simply start up. Gets stuck on an eternal loading after the logos.

Did that 2 times alread. Same error still and all files are back to normal.

I had that error once upon booting up the game after switching the Graphics Options from High to Medium/Low and back to High again to see how performance was affected.

Had to redownload the game and wipe out the profile files. Copied back the save file and I was good to go.

Something to do with ini file modification I think.

Vazra

I had that error once upon booting up the game after switching the Graphics Options from High to Medium/Low and back to High again to see how performance was affected.

Had to redownload the game and wipe out the profile files. Copied back the save file and I was good to go.

Something to do with ini file modification I think.

I deleted my save file from it and it works fine now. I guess the save data got corrupted. Can I download a random save file and use that?

Vazra

will i have to screw with the .ini at all or can i do them all in-game?

i'll probably record cutscenes as i play

Lol Im experiencing issues with the game since I tried changing the cutscenes. If someone else feels like working on it I may help but at the moment Im focusing on getting my game back to where it was on terms of upgrades and shit :(

Tizoc

Man this game running at 60 FPS is phenominal. This is just how the game should be played and how it must look like.

Can I nominate this game for GotY if I nominated it last year :V

Dr Dogg

Man this game running at 60 FPS is phenominal. This is just how the game should be played and how it must look like.

Can I nominate this game for GotY if I nominated it last year :V

Didn't the rules change last year that if it's a late port and has significant changes or is new to that platform that it counts? Granted there probably only be a handful of votes for KiD but at least it would end up in the summary.

Tizoc

^I'll ask in that thread as well, I might just rank it my #1 game then list my other favourites.
Thing is I've started going PC and Vita/3DS only lately and there are already lots of PC games I've played that I loved and enjoyed.

BTW anyone having a little problem with the camera? I never had that issue when playing with PS3, it just feels a little hard to move it around or have it focus on a certain prespective for me to time my dodges and counters.

Top Bottom