• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer is Dead (PC) |OT| F*** Off Into Space!

Dr Dogg

I'm afraid we don't have enough storage to do let's play or playthrough videos, sadly.

Hahaha should have guessed you might reply. Good god Let's Play aren't my cup of tea and/or intention but there's sadly a lacking of decent video hosts around that cater to high bitrate, high framerate videos outside of self hosting or stupidly expensive commercial options. I've rather show someone a complied couple of minutes of fun than the whole game to at least have the hope in encouraging some people who might be on the fence to give this a look in.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
As for the game I think the game is a pretty good improvement over the previous Grasshopper games. Sure it's as simplistic as Lollipop Chainsaw but the removal of the annoying mini games elevates the game a lot. Now I want to see them make different fighting styles for the characters and they could remove the items from the d-pad to pause screen or select. I never used the items on Killer is Dead for example so I feel those d-pad buttons could be used for different weapon styles while being gone to waste atm. The core game of Killer is Dead while simple its fun and it has some depth to it. Weapon styles would remove a bit of the visual repetition or who knows maybe they could learn a bit from Lollipop Chainsaw which actually had some combos to learn. They are great with the presentation so I really have no issues with that and the ost, stories, voice acting etc is stellar. Hopefully Lily Bergamo shows us more growth from Killer is Dead cause Im liking the progress they have done with their action games. Lollipop Chainsaw and Killer is Dead gave me up that Grasshopper can actually do competent gameplay with some depth.

The game hung up 4 or 5 times in a row in Koharu's Gigolo mission, but at least it could be killed in Task manager.

Verify Integrity of Game Cache fixes that.

Authority

Banned
Verify Integrity of Game Cache fixes that.

How do I do that?

And found this

91MlBYtzcQL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/The-KILLER-DEAD-Collectible-Book/dp/B00F1TVW5M

maskrider

How do I do that?

Steam Client -> Library -> Properties of 'title' -> "LOCAL FILES" tag -> "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE"

I have just done that and it said I have 13 files failed validation and need to be reacquired.

BTW, it hasn't hung after the validation, thanks, Gravelord_Nito.

Dr Dogg

Aaaaaaand done! Little under 7 hours. And still scratching my head a little hahaha. Oh well at least there's the secret files to dig through now. Also just worked out why it's close to 14gb in install size, all the theatre mode videos are prerendered. Yucky, compressed 720p 30fps videos too, ewwwww!

Tizoc

Aaaaaaand done! Little under 7 hours. And still scratching my head a little hahaha. Oh well at least there's the secret files to dig through now. Also just worked out why it's close to 14gb in install size, all the theatre mode videos are prerendered. Yucky, compressed 720p 30fps videos too, ewwwww!

*Shivers in disgust*

Tizoc

From Ep. 4
"This job will be done for a one time discount. The price is your kiss. That ought to be worth more than money."
Yo I don't care if think it sounds corny, that's one hell of a pick up line.

Dr Dogg

*Shivers in disgust*

Well I get the idea. Apart from 6 cutscenes throught the whole game everything is in engine. Streaming in that amount of textures and data might have to be hidden behind a fair few loading screens so prerendered vids makes some sort of sense but the quality is just awful. That not being snobby or elitist, it's really bad. There's masses of compression and you can see how it's really desaturated the image a treat so everything has a dull tinge to it. This game deserved more than that at least. Saying that though they're 4.9gb in space at the moment so I guess it's a sacrifice in some regard :/

Speaking of things that deserve better I wonder what the sales have been like? I hope it's enough for who ever holds the rights to a few other GHM titles to take note about other stuff that might have some pull on PC.

Tizoc

Speaking of things that deserve better I wonder what the sales have been like? I hope it's enough for who ever holds the rights to a few other GHM titles to take note about other stuff that might have some pull on PC.

It's not even charting on HumbleBundle.com =/
Hopefully in the next few days word spread of how good this game is that it manages to sell well within the next month.

That artbook came with the pre-order of the original game (along with the soundtrack). It's about the size of a 360 game box, about 80 pages long, has some nice character information, concept and official art, and the like though. Also a nice hardcover.

Yeah, it's small but very nice. I sold my PS3 copy when the PC version was announced but kept all the stuff from the LE. Love the art in this game.

Peff

Keep in mind that the game only seems to work on 64-bit systems, otherwise it crashes during cutscenes even though Episode 1 plays just fine, something I imagine eats into its potential audience a fair bit. Hopefully they can patch it...

Vazra

Keep in mind that the game only seems to work on 64-bit systems, otherwise it crashes during cutscenes even though Episode 1 plays just fine, something I imagine eats into its potential audience a fair bit. Hopefully they can patch it...

That's really odd.

Dr Dogg

It's not even charting on HumbleBundle.com =/
Hopefully in the next few days word spread of how good this game is that it manages to sell well within the next month.

Well it got to 477 as a high on Steam Charts so no idea if that's on target for what Deep Silver were expecting. Might be one of the long game though as is with the case with late ports.

http://steamcharts.com/app/261110

Huh that is odd. Especially seeing as it's a 32bit process. Though I have noticed it's right on the edge of that 2gb memory limit on the process so maybe a large address aware fix might help solve the issues?

Peff

Huh that is odd. Especially seeing as it's a 32bit process. Though I have noticed it's right on the edge of that 2gb memory limit on the process so maybe a large address aware fix might help solve the issues?

That's really odd.

Yup, it does sound like a memory leak, but the 64 bit OS requirement is there in the product page. It can't possibly be that hard to run a mid-tier UE3 PS360 port, lol.

Mononoke

Banned
Steam Client -> Library -> Properties of 'title' -> "LOCAL FILES" tag -> "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE"

I have just done that and it said I have 13 files failed validation and need to be reacquired.

If you do this, do you have re-do the 60 FPS tweaks in the file? I finally started getting crashes on these missions.

EDIT: Yep. It re-set every little tweak that I had made (including resolution). So does that mean the game will keep crashing everytime I make changes?

Vazra

If you do this, do you have re-do the 60 FPS tweaks in the file? I finally started getting crashes on these missions.

EDIT: Yep. It re-set every little tweak that I had made (including resolution). So does that mean the game will keep crashing everytime I make changes?

It wont crash. Once you recover the missing files you shouldnt have issues. You will tweak back to 60fps as you had before but it should work fine now.

you 32bits?

Mononoke

Banned
It wont crash. Once you recover the missing files you shouldnt have issues. You will tweak back to 60fps as you had before but it should work fine now.

you 32bits?

I'm 64 bit windows 8? If that's what you are asking (sorry if that was a dumb reply). Basically, I made all the tweaks to my files (60 FPS, Resolution etc. As well as the recovery time fix). And the game played fine for hours. But then randomly, started crashing during the Gigolo missions (like the 5th girl). So I just verified the files, it claimed 15 files needed to be fixed or something insane.

But when I re-booted the game all my settings were back to default (which makes sense). I'm just wondering if the crashes will start again eventually. I'm assuming they started because I tweaked the files?

Vazra

I'm 64 bit windows 8? If that's what you are asking (sorry if that was a dumb reply). Basically, I made all the tweaks to my files (60 FPS, Resolution etc. As well as the recovery time fix). And the game played fine for hours. But then randomly, started crashing during the Gigolo missions (like the 5th girl). So I just verified the files, it claimed 15 files needed to be fixed or something insane.

But when I re-booted the game all my settings were back to default (which makes sense). I'm just wondering if the crashes will start again eventually. I'm assuming they started because I tweaked the files?

Nah my game was crashing at Koharu Gigolo Mission always and once I did the Verify thingy the game has run perfectly ever since. You can tweak the game back to 60fps and your desired resolution without any problems.

Mononoke

Banned
Nah my game was crashing at Koharu Gigolo Mission always and once I did the Verify thingy the game has run perfectly ever since. You can tweak the game back to 60fps and your desired resolution without any problems.

Strange. I wonder what causes it to crash in the first place. *shrugs*

Convinced another pal to pick up the game (he's big Suda fan, he just didn't know this just came out on the PC) and he just reported that he's facing the infamous endless loading bug at the beginning of Episode 3 (Alice mission). It just sits there forever after you hear the briefing from Alisa, leave her room, hear your first "date" call you and complain about you not paying attention to her to unlock her mission.

Damn, I feel guilty for making him spend that money on a buggy product. Thing is, nobody on GAF seems to have experienced the issue, so I thought the game was good to go (besides the tweaks for 60 FPS and 1080p+ resolutions). I don't have the issue either.

I'll try to get him install the game on one of his other PCs from Steam, apparently it affects some PCs, not all. Browsing through that link on Steam community, it seems like no-one's bothered to share their specs in that thread, so the common denominator between those who're experiencing the issue has yet to be found. Also, before you ask, he's already verified the integrity of the game files, and he was running it on a desktop with Windows 7 SP1 x64. Still happens, regardless.

Mononoke

Banned
At first I thought it was preoload issue but it seems others who didnt preload had the same issue.

Something interesting...

So I realized every time I've had a crash, it was with Koharu (now that you brought it up). I've already completed her missions, but I'll bounce between girls (because it will trigger a girl to call you and unlock their mission). So that's how I'm able to complete them quicker. However, Koharu is the only one that crashes.

Strange enough, if I do a gigolog missions with another girl first, then Koharu after, it doesn't crash. What the fuck. But if I load up my game for the first time, and just go with Koharu first, it always crashes. This might not mean anything at all, but I just thought the pattern was strange (and consistent). Of course, once you verify the integrity of the files it stops being an issue (so it seems). But before I verified I messed around with the game, and I was able to replicate the crash in this pattern. It seems to me Koharu is the trigger (for whatever reason).

Zafir

I was just about to post asking if anyone had that issue. Just crashed twice trying to do her final gigolo mission. >.<

Guess verifying it is.

Edit: Or I could just do another one first, hmm that works too.

Mononoke

Banned
I was just about to post asking if anyone had that issue. Just crashed twice trying to do her final gigolo mission. >.<

Guess verifying it is.

Edit: Or I could just do another one first, hmm that works too.

Yeah, try to see if that works first. Go do a mission with Natalie, then go back to Koharu. Let me know if that works (because then that will make two of us, that have avoided the problem by doing another mission first).

But if it still crashes, just verify. I would suggest trying my method first, so you don't have to reset your ini tweaks. Worth a shot at least.

Peff

What a weird port. Disabling audio fixes the cutscene crashes, but the subtitles won't play unless the audio does. I wonder if it's because of the audio card and using headphones fixes it...

Could somebody who has finished the game upload their save file?

Zafir

Yeah, try to see if that works first. Go do a mission with Natalie, then go back to Koharu. Let me know if that works (because then that will make two of us, that have avoided the problem by doing another mission first).

But if it still crashes, just verify. I would suggest trying my method first, so you don't have to reset your ini tweaks. Worth a shot at least.

It did work. I'd already finished Natalia, so did the Vampire first, and then Koharu worked fine. Really strange.

Mononoke

Banned
It did work. I'd already finished Natalia, so did the Vampire first, and then Koharu worked fine. Really strange.

Well then. Seems like we figured out how to cause the crash with Koharu and avoid it (without verifying the files). I have no idea why it's her specific mission, and how doing another gigolo missions right before hers suddenly makes it..not crash.

Lol this port. Thanks for replying, it's good to know that it wasn't just me.

Dr Dogg

I'll just throw this out there for you folks to try but if you get any issues, be it crashes, lock ups or endless loading the first thing to do it's reset all the ini tweaks you've done. Remember changing these values aren't not officially supported. If you still get issues after running it default then there is something amiss.

What I usually do when ini tweaking is create a folder in the directory and backup the files I'm editing before I adjust anything, so if anything goes wrong I can put the game back to how it was intended to function. We've already seen this game has certain elements tied to a set framerate so changing it is possible to break things.

So first thing to do, make a ini tweak folder in the kidgame\config folder and cut your kid engine.ini file in there. Start the game up afterwards, don't worry about a file being missing it should recreate one but at default values. Change the resolution if you want in game the try loading up the mission that's crashing and/or locking up and see what happens. Fingers crossed this will sort the issue and not something out of out hands.

I'm about to hit the sack but any issues pop them in here and I'll have a look tomorrow.

Tizoc

Convinced another pal to pick up the game (he's big Suda fan, he just didn't know this just came out on the PC) and he just reported that he's facing the infamous endless loading bug at the beginning of Episode 3 (Alice mission). It just sits there forever after you hear the briefing from Alisa, leave her room, hear your first "date" call you and complain about you not paying attention to her to unlock her mission.

Damn, I feel guilty for making him spend that money on a buggy product. Thing is, nobody on GAF seems to have experienced the issue, so I thought the game was good to go (besides the tweaks for 60 FPS and 1080p+ resolutions). I don't have the issue either.

I'll try to get him install the game on one of his other PCs from Steam, apparently it affects some PCs, not all. Browsing through that link on Steam community, it seems like no-one's bothered to share their specs in that thread, so the common denominator between those who're experiencing the issue has yet to be found. Also, before you ask, he's already verified the integrity of the game files, and he was running it on a desktop with Windows 7 SP1 x64. Still happens, regardless.

That's sucks, all things considered, the way they went about the port just seems all in all strange

Mononoke

Banned
I'll just throw this out there for you folks to try but if you get any issues, be it crashes, lock ups or endless loading the first thing to do it's reset all the ini tweaks you've done. Remember changing these values aren't not officially supported. If you still get issues after running it default then there is something amiss.

What I usually do when ini tweaking is create a folder in the directory and backup the files I'm editing before I adjust anything, so if anything goes wrong I can put the game back to how it was intended to function. We've already seen this game has certain elements tied to a set framerate so changing it is possible to break things.

So first thing to do, make a ini tweak folder in the kidgameconfig folder and cut your kid engine.ini file in there. Start the game up afterwards, don't worry about a file being missing it should recreate one but at default values. Change the resolution if you want in game the try loading up the mission that's crashing and/or locking up and see what happens. Fingers crossed this will sort the issue and not something out of out hands.

I'm about to hit the sack but any issues pop them in here and I'll have a look tomorrow.

Great advice. I personally think it's the ini tweaks that cause some of these issues. But you are right, good advice.

Zafir

Incidentally, I know there's an ini tweak for reviving, but is there one for normal QTEs? I mean, I may have been imagining it, but the chapter 4 bosses button mashing seemed pretty tight, although I still managed them.

Vazra

Incidentally, I know there's an ini tweak for reviving, but is there one for normal QTEs? I mean, I may have been imagining it, but the chapter 4 bosses button mashing seemed pretty tight, although I still managed them.

It seems everything is there its a matter of looks for it and mess around the tweaks.

Mononoke

Banned
How many Gigolo Missions are there? Because I think I have all the weapons, so I think thats it.

I have seen so far:

Natalia, Koharu, Betty

Scarlett..I've only seen the challenge missions. So not sure if she has a weapon/gigolo mission section (and if so, when do you unlock that?)

Is that it?

EDIT: Yeah..I looked it up, pretty sure that's it. Lol well...there sure was a lot of controversy for something that isn't that big in the game.

Zafir

How many Gigolo Missions are there? Because I think I have all the weapons, so I think thats it.

I have seen so far:

Natalia
Koharu
Betty

Scarlett..I've only seen the challenge missions. So not sure if she has a weapon/gigolo mission section (and if so, when do you unlock that?)

Is that it?
The top three you need to do 3 times and the achievement pops(Weapons pop after 1 or 2 i think?). Not sure if you get anything after, I was only doing it for the weps and chieves so stopped at that point.

For Scarlet, you need to do all her challenge missions iirc. From what I remember there is 20 in total.

Mononoke

Banned
The top three you need to do 3 times and the achievement pops(Weapons pop after 1 or 2 i think?). Not sure if you get anything after, I was only doing it for the weps and chieves so stopped at that point.

For Scarlet, you need to do all her challenge missions iirc. From what I remember there is 20 in total.

Alright yeah, I have those all completed. I just
don't have Scarlett's Gigolo mission because I have to unlock and beat all the challenges I guess. If she doesn't offer a weapon, I'm not going to bother with that lol

Vazra

You need 1000 Points to get her and overall do that 3 times for the full scene or IIRC. You can repeat missions but they give less points making it slower.

Drain You

Just finished the game for the first time on PC. Didn't get any of the other weapons and only upgraded the bottom row of stuff with the crystals. Now time to go back and do all that shit.

Also Nito thank you for making that webm :)

Zafir

You need 1000 Points to get her and overall do that 3 times for the full scene or IIRC. You can repeat missions but they give less points making it slower.
Ah right, interesting. That's better than what I thought it was. Been ages since I played the PS3 ver.

Authority

Banned

Thanks a bunch. One more question (stupid one I know). What does verifying integrity of the game cache do exactly? Is it some form of performance optimization?

This scene has made me laugh every time I've watched it.

Was going to try and make a Webm out of it but I got lazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT2VcyOATi8&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Also since someone above posted the artbook heres some pictures. It is actually pretty neat.

Did they say anything about re-releasing the artbook?

Drain You

Did they say anything about re-releasing the artbook?

I haven't heard anything but if you are interested I would check out Grasshopper Manufactures store ( which is actually down for maintenance right now ) They usually have some cool stuff although a bit overpriced.

Vazra

I was looking at the voice actors of the main cast and most of them have done Voice Overs for Tales of Series stuff.

Top Bottom