• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone - 1up.com review

ced

I dont see how anyone can give a game that has so many technical problems, which make it feel like a defective product, an 8.0 or better. Hell even a 7 is high.

Its not that I hate the game, I just hate to see another game get released like this. I mean if anyone can make a deal out of it its the reviewing community, they should hammer this so maybe Sony, Microsoft and some other publishers change their approvals.

I cant be the only one who thinks this is unacceptable from any developer/publisher, especially Sony.

ced

Gregory said:
It`s so obvious it was rushed to meet Halo 2`s launch.

Yeah but why?

You had GTA the week before, and MGS the week after Halo, this is just pointless.

Delay it 6 months ( seems like it needs more than that) and dont release a incomplete product. They should get reamed for this.

It "had" alot of things going for it, you can barely see them shine through, its a shame really.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The story with Killzone is that apparently Guerrilla was going to keep working on the single player campaign, but when SCEE took Guerrilla under their wings they pushed very strongly for a big and nice online mode (which people say is not bad).

The game, could have needed some more months of tweaking: it risks being overlooked and I believe the Guerrilla guys are pissed seeing their technology not perform like they know it can (the single player mode is not at the level thye would have wanted to ship if they could have delayed the launch date).

Here's some facts because I actually talked to parties involved in the game. The review of 1up.com's is based on the European-version, which has been worked on more than the US version since the PAL version ships on December 3rd, which is about four weeks later than the US version.

AbeFroman

RiotPelaaja said:
Here's some facts because I actually talked to parties involved in the game. The review of 1up.com's is based on the European-version, which has been worked on more than the US version since the PAL version ships on December 3rd, which is about four weeks later than the US version.

So US version = ?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
RiotPelaaja said:

Wait, so the US recieved a shitty, bug filled version of the game?

ced

I dont buy it.

Same thing was said about IGN's reveiw code being completly different from the retail.

Every problem they described is still present in the retail.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
They need to drop the PR farce about this later code thing. Because that's what it is.

This game was poorly done, perhaps it doesn't deserve the hatred it's getting (I for one will finish the single player and actually enjoy the multi), but this save face manuever is bullshit.

RiotPelaaja said:

Soooo... 1UP is misrepresenting the game to be something better than it actually is to potential domestic consumers? Hmm... though I guess that would imply that there exists a group of people who base their purchasing decisions off of 1UP scores, so I guess my original point is moot.

CARRY ON!

jenov4

RiotPelaaja said:

Does the PAL version have a built in 60/50hz selector so it makes it easier for the people who have NTSC televisions?

Drey1082

It sounds like this game, while having a horrible single player, actually has a decent multiplayer aspect to it. I've heard a lot of bad things about the single player,but very little on multi from what i've read. This is interesting to me because in first person shooters, i'm more of a multiplayer person.

My thinking is this sounds a lot like another Sony shooter (SOCOM 1 & 2). A horrible single player, but good/solid multi. Does anyone think it will succeed on this level with ps2 casuals?

Forsete

jenov4 said:
Does the PAL version have a built in 60/50hz selector so it makes it easier for the people who have NTSC televisions?

Official PS2 UK stated it will have a 50/60 switch, yes.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Drey1082 said:
My thinking is this sounds a lot like another Sony shooter (SOCOM 1 & 2). A horrible single player, but good/solid multi. Does anyone think it will succeed on this level with ps2 casuals?

Not to that level no, but it is genuinely fun so I would expect it to grow. There were only 600 people on late last night. It's actually more arcade like than SOCOM and somewhat easier to pick up, but that hasn't hurt SOCOM. It doesn't have clan support, though people seem to be working around that by using different names. It has really good maps and game modes, though there aren't as many maps as Socom. I have to admit though, there was a lot of good teamwork and good cheer in the few games I played...definitely a lot of Socom veterans checking it out ;)

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
RiotPelaaja said:

:lol

That's polish for ya.

Top Bottom