• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
alr1ghtstart said:
you have to run around the square and collect ammo boxes, then deliver them back to where the game entrance is.

Thanks.

This is so dumb.

Grisby

I'm going to bed but I just wanted to chip in and say nice OT. Pretty excited about the game as I was a fan of 2 for the most part.

To tell the truth I'm always a bit miffed how far they took the series away from the original, both in gameplay mechanics and story. Killzone 1 got a lot of shit, but damn I loved going through the levels as different characters. That, and the secondary weapon fires made for a great time.

The story was just much more interesting in the original compared to the sequel. You had the differences of Rico and Hakka split between a feud with Luger and Templar. Just made for better storytelling IMO.

Be here Day 1. I love the universe and the gameplay that Guerrilla puts out. Still, I think they could have refined some stuff from their roots and took it forward.

Massa

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Adding cutscenes to certain multiplayer modes should be made mandatory for all future games.

I bet Uncharted 3 will have some of that, but maybe not as cutscenes.

CozMick

Banned
X-Frame said:
Are you kidding?

Sadly not.

10.png

:/

StuBurns

Banned
It's not the same writer, it means nothing.

Even if 9.5 wasn't an incredibly high score, it's completely void of apt comparison because it's a different guy.

After playing the multiplayer beta I have to say im really excited for this game. I really like the changes to the feel and the responsiveness of everything. It almost plays like the original KZ which I loved.

i am not one to completely care about the number rating system but those that are saying it is a different reviewer are not seeing the bigger picture. most people that view the rating aren't familiar with all of the different reviewers and probably could care less about who is reviewing the game. it is easier for them to compare a 9.0 to a 10.0 to a 5.0 than it is to figure out what the number system means calculated on the premises of which reviewer gave it and what the score means to that individual reviewer. people see a 10 next to a 9, they don't think oh, so and so reviewer gave this 9 so it is better than that 10. they see, this is a 10, that is a 9- 10 is better, this must be better.

there should be a standardization for the number system given by reviewers for each publication. or ditch the number system altogether if your staff cannot handle it in a universally consistent manner.

MW2 is NOT the pinnacle of graphics for this gen. not even close.

r.gun

Neo Member
I just beat the game last night. Overall I thought it was a great ride - I don't generally complete games in one sitting, but I just had to keep playing! The graphics were something else... I really did enjoy them a lot more than Killzone 2 as well. I thought there was a lot more variety and because they lowered the amount of blur all over the place I could actually see things clearly a lot more often.

I enjoyed the story. It wasn't oscar worthy or anything, but for a sci-fi shooter I thought it was pretty good, and felt grounded in reality.

The changes they made to the guns were very welcome for me. I didn't hate the controls in KZ2 or anything, but tightening them up and having less recoil is a lot more appealing to me. I know there may be some KZ2 diehards who disagree, but I think most people will enjoy the gunplay in this game over the previous.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it! Improves over the sequel in a lot of ways!

Shaka

StuBurns said:
It's not the same writer, it means nothing.

Even if 9.5 wasn't an incredibly high score, it's completely void of apt comparison because it's a different guy.
100% this.

Game looks really nice playing in 3D though the resolution makes it look a bit poor.

Playing the game with Move? I was having a hard time, will spend a bit more messing around with the controls to see if I can get em right.

NHale

plasmasd said:
Surprised how short story mode lasts. Maybe 8 hours for me, and I go through games very slowly. (Usually 30-40% longer than reviewers, and I played KZ3 on the hardest difficulty) Was a fantastic experience though. Best console shooter I've ever played.

So when can we read your review? I can't wait to see it.

Katana_Strikes said:
Game looks really nice playing in 3D though the resolution makes it look a bit poor.

Playing the game with Move? I was having a hard time, will spend a bit more messing around with the controls to see if I can get em right.

Tweak both the move until it "clicks" with you just right and adjust yout 3d default on your television as well. Tweaking my televisions 3d settings completely improved it from default.

amar212

StevePharma said:
I feel sad that KZ3 gets almost no press here even though it's the greatest entertainment product with worldwide appeal we've produced this decade, not counting Big Brother and all that bullshit.

Spyker did some nice marketing with F1 team and I will always love your national football selection, especially since 1998 semi-finals ;)

left_senseless said:
i am not one to completely care about the number rating system but those that are saying it is a different reviewer are not seeing the bigger picture. most people that view the rating aren't familiar with all of the different reviewers and probably could care less about who is reviewing the game. it is easier for them to compare a 9.0 to a 10.0 to a 5.0 than it is to figure out what the number system means calculated on the premises of which reviewer gave it and what the score means to that individual reviewer. people see a 10 next to a 9, they don't think oh, so and so reviewer gave this 9 so it is better than that 10. they see, this is a 10, that is a 9- 10 is better, this must be better.

there should be a standardization for the number system given by reviewers for each publication. or ditch the number system altogether if your staff cannot handle it in a universally consistent manner.

MW2 is NOT the pinnacle of graphics for this gen. not even close.

this.

commish

spats said:
Giant Bomb has a quick look up of the game. Dunno about you guys but I'm skipping it.

Why do people go into OT's just to say that they aren't buying the game? :p

Anyway, I finally have my 3 unlock points from the Home game. With the 3 unlock points from Amazon, it seems as if I will be able to have disguise++ from the start. The double xp for 24 hours is a better preorder bonus, though. I could do some serious damage with that.

Hanmik

a quick question.. we are a danish Clan (with some scottish players to, and our own english website) who are looking for some KZ3 players..? is there a thread for seeking clan-members..? or is this not something Gaffers do..?

spats

commish said:
Why do people go into OT's just to say that they aren't buying the game? :p

Anyway, I finally have my 3 unlock points from the Home game. With the 3 unlock points from Amazon, it seems as if I will be able to have disguise++ from the start. The double xp for 24 hours is a better preorder bonus, though. I could do some serious damage with that.

My apologies if my post was unclear. I meant I'm skipping the quick look because I don't want to spoil the campaign. The game is a day 1 purchase for me.

<- mean helghast avatar

Steroyd

Reading through previous pages, why is it only now I learn one week before KZ3 releases that KZ2 had custom soundtracks.

Would have made Radec on hard a less stressful endeavour. T_T

Hanmik

Steroyd said:
Reading through previous pages, why is it only now I learn one week before KZ3 releases that KZ2 had custom soundtracks.

Would have made Radec on hard a less stressful endeavour. T_T

as far as I remember.. custom soundtrack only worked in MP. I remember me playing one night killing Helghast left and right, all while I listened to my wifes favourite music.. Westlife...

jorma

is now taking requests
StevePharma said:
Better not fuck with our Dutch culture haha. We'll Fierljep richt over those grachten !

I feel sad that KZ3 gets almost no press here even though it's the greatest entertainment product with worldwide appeal we've produced this decade, not counting Big Brother and all that bullshit.

It's the same with Sweden and the battlefield series. It's probably only because there are no stars involved that are easy for the press to latch on to.

commish

spats said:
My apologies if my post was unclear. I meant I'm skipping the quick look because I don't want to spoil the campaign. The game is a day 1 purchase for me.

<- mean helghast avatar

Ah, my apologies. Sorry, I've just been getting annoyed with the hate this game has received. :)

scoobs

spats said:
Giant Bomb has a quick look up of the game. Dunno about you guys but I'm skipping it.
Anyone else having problems with the loading in this quicklook? Keeps stopping to load every few seconds..maybe its me

jett

D-Member
Watched the GB quicklook, SP looks really awesome. Multiplayer though...

Holy mother of fuck 60 second loading times for multiplayer? And then a 30 second wait time. Dear lord.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
commish said:
Ah, my apologies. Sorry, I've just been getting annoyed with the hate this game has received. :)

Just the BETA left a lot to be desired. From Closed to Open, a lot of the core KZ players were hoping for a continuation of KZ2 with tweaks and polish making it a game to be had and played

The SP from the reviews done by GAFfers in this thread is up to par what GG was going for.

The MP is truly the main course for this game. SP gave you the visuals, the appetizer portion of the meal (amazing appetizer). Winning in MP = the dessert, losing = skip bill lol.

GG did try to communicate and say it was tweaking some things for MP, making Medic revive a little better, and other aspects.
If MP overtime gets tweaks or even overhauls to the squad/clan aspect it can prolong the MP community for a long time.
(DLC will be coming, going by KZ2, can expect at least 3+ Map Packs [1 already out, Retro Map Pack)

Top Bottom