• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/killzone/review.html

"In playing Killzone it's clear that production on the game began with the solid underpinnings of a good shooter. At some point, though, development must have veered off course, because what could have otherwise been a really good first-person shooter is reduced to a merely decent one by a host of irritating graphics, sound, and gameplay issues. There's still some fun to be found here, but ultimately Killzone is a barely adequate game that probably won't hold your attention for very long."

Trevelyon

SantaCruZer said:
atleast not 6.8

So close.

crying_b.jpg

crying.jpg

SyNapSe

Trevelyon said:
So close.

crying_b.jpg

crying.jpg

:lol

Oh well! As i said in the other threads, that Intro video that somebody dropped on the board a week ago looked really promising.

Is it just me or do you get the feeling Gamespot would score ANYTHING lower than IGN. It's like they wait and see IGN's score and then drop it .2 - .5. I mean c'mon.. there has to be some games out their reviewer personally enjoyed more than the IGN guy.*

* I'm not bagging Gamespot at all. It just seems wierd.

MarkMacD

Personally I think an important aspect not being taken into account, or maybe not weighed heavily enough, in some Killzone reviews is the lack of good first person shooters (especially online) for the PS2.

Maybe next to the best of the Xbox (and definitely if you're expecting a Halo-killer ala the hype) Killzone's weaknesses (like framerate) stand out, but taken on its own it's a good, fun shooter.

All imo, of course. :D

Soul4ger

MarkMacD said:
Personally I think an important aspect not being taken into account, or maybe not weighed heavily enough, in some Killzone reviews is the lack of good first person shooters (especially online) for the PS2.

Maybe next to the best of the Xbox (and definitely if you're expecting a Halo-killer ala the hype) Killzone's weaknesses (like framerate) stand out, but taken on its own it's a good, fun shooter.

All imo, of course. :D

Mark MacDonald wears Guerilla Games money hats.

ced

I posted some negative things in the IGN thread, but Ive got to say the combat dialog is unacceptable.

Im not kidding when I said the helgast have 5 lines, and they loop over and over and over in the same battle, its gd annoying. First time Ive ever wanted to turn combat barking and death yells off.

Its still needs a year of development, its a shame, because there are "some" fun shoot outs.

Oh and the weapon models and animations are wicked.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I agree with ced's take totally. Single player is meh meh meh. I can't believe in that one thread people were going all gonzo comparing it to CoD. hahaha.

In one scene, the guy I'm talking to...his head doesn't load. He's the headless lieutenant. And the AI is cringeworthy (early build my ass). Such a damn shame...trying to imagine what this might have been with better coding, if some of the cool artwork didn't give you a headache because the framerate and seams are so bad.

Online however, wasn't bad at all. Nice interface, fun games. Strange. Even the "bot" sessions are better than the single player, I'd swear they have better "AI" in there.

MarkMacD

"I posted some negative things in the IGN thread, but Ive got to say the combat dialog is unacceptable.

Im not kidding when I said the helgast have 5 lines, and they loop over and over and over in the same battle, its gd annoying. First time Ive ever wanted to turn combat barking and death yells off."

This is mos def true.

"Online however, wasn't bad at all. Nice interface, fun games."

Also true.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Kabuki Waq said:
how does it stack up with timesplitters 2? which IMO is an awesome FPS.

You know that feeling you get when you step in dogshit? Same feeling you get playing Killzone.

You know that feeling you get when you're doing 120 on an open highway? Same feeling you get with TS2.

Dogshit? Or adrenaline? Choices...

garrickk

I just watched the video review from IGN. The AI just looks to be as dumb as rocks. Maybe there were playing at a REALLY low difficulty. It's hard to write decent AI routines, even harder to write AI routines that scale through difficulty levels well.

I'll rent it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"barely adequate" = 6.9?

I'm reminded of a certain Newsradio episode that revolved around Phil Hartman being deemed "adequate".

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
garrickk said:
I just watched the video review from IGN. The AI just looks to be as dumb as rocks. Maybe there were playing at a REALLY low difficulty. It's hard to write decent AI routines, even harder to write AI routines that scale through difficulty levels well.

I'll rent it.

The AI is still really dumb at high difficulty. I've only run into a few areas where their scripting was effective. Putting the difficulty up seems to improve their aim a little, but not their actions.

Timesplitters 2 should never be used as a comparison to high end anything, though that's not saying much for the faults of this game. 120 miles per hour hahahah.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
MarkMacD said:
Why is it that a deficiency in the genre on a given platform should lead to an artificial inflation of a game's score? If it's better than the rest of the offerings on a given console but still a 6.9 or 7.5 game, then it's a 6.9 or 7.5 game.

Socreges

Banned
MetatronM said:
Why is it that a deficiency in the genre on a given platform should lead to an artificial inflation of a game's score? If it's better than the rest of the offerings on a given console but still a 6.9 or 7.5 game, then it's a 6.9 or 7.5 game.
Yeah, scores should invariably be relative to each comparable game, but across all consoles - not just one. Not like all PS2 owners haven't played Halo or Far Cry.

Top Bottom