• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone HD |OT|

FireCloud

I've only played the second and third so I'm interested in this to see how things got started. I'll be picking this up soon.

Wondering whether to grab this now or Okami HD when it releases. ...decisions decisions. That PSN spend $100 get $20 isn't helping things either.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Do you have a link to any of that, can't say I had heard anything about it considering Killzone as far as I know was always suppose to be PS2 exclusive. Are you sure you aren't just mistaking the way most games are made by using a PC and shown off on PC hardware and the PS2 just couldn't pull off what they wanted?

But that PC version would obviously never have been completed to make a HD port in the first place.

Yeah thats what I mean. exactly what you just said, I saw footage when it was developed on the pc dev kit. and it was a massive difference..PSM magazine even had footage of it back in the day.

it was night and day difference.

and according to the Killzone HD intereview, they were using the PC version code?

not sure why it still has the ps2 code running. literrally identical death animations to the ps2 version. Oh well.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Found it on the playstation store. was just updated for euro store, not sure if I want to purchase it though...

what do you guys think?

no updated animations really hurts this.

Aiming and shooting takes a little getting used to but it is an 8 year old game. If you liked the original I'd say this HD remake is a no brainer.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Okay i bought it. Hope it's as great as i remember.

Same man LOL!

I remember it having such awesome level design.

but the memory of helghast legs glitching after they die....puts me off.

still bought it anyway. for the sake of support for guerrila.

Dibbz

Aw my god. Those weapon animations. Fuck me. They need to bring back that scope lid flip for the sniper. I might just bite so I can play Park Terminal against bots. I loved that map.

Carl

Same man LOL!

I remember it having such awesome level design.

but the memory of helghast legs glitching after they die....puts me off.

still bought it anyway. for the sake of support for guerrila.

Yeah i remember great level design and quite a meaty campaign. With gameplay that was actually pretty fun.

I guess if i am remembering wrongly it's only £12, but still.

My biggest memory is "SCATTA GRENADE" though, lol.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Aw my god. Those weapon animations. Fuck me. They need to bring back that scope lid flip for the sniper. I might just bite so I can play Park Terminal against bots. I loved that map.

Hell yea man, that was the shit back in the day. and beach head <3

im predicting this HD will still not review well though.

God damn, this brings back memories. I remember being so hyped for this game, although since I almost always lean towards the multiplayer online aspect of games I was disappointed. The netcode was simply atrocious in KZ1, much worse than even Socom2's was.

Campaign was pretty fun though, and it was still a damn fine looking ps2 game. I was never really bothered by the framerate drops, but then again I'm never really picky about those things anyway (I think Skyrim on Ps3 runs fine for the most part, so yeah).

TEH-CJ

Banned
Edit: just played the first 2 missions. this game hasn't aged well at all...

improving animations and physics would of done this thing wonders.

still...nice frame rate though. this should of been a remake like Halo Anniversary

For what it's worth, I played 1, 2, and 3 pretty close to each other (I played killzone 1 on emulated ps3, maybe 4 months before playing 2).

The first few chapters of 1 are really bad. But overall, I really think it's a better game than 2. Which itself is a really really better game than 3.

TEH-CJ

Banned
For what it's worth, I played 1, 2, and 3 pretty close to each other (I played killzone 1 on emulated ps3, maybe 4 months before playing 2).

The first few chapters of 1 are really bad. But overall, I really think it's a better game than 2. Which itself is a really really better game than 3.

I just cant get past the horrible death animations and physics. the helghast glitch every single time they hit the floor. just goes to show how rose tinted our glasses were back in the day haha

made it to the 3rd level and I cant play anymore. its just too bad compared to modern shooters these days.

I just cant get past the horrible death animations and physics. the helghast glitch every single time they hit the floor. just goes to show how rose tinted our glasses were back in the day haha

made it to the 3rd level and I cant play anymore. its just too bad compared to modern shooters these days.

is this something new from the hd version? I don't think i ever noticed the glitch. Which, given the horrible resolution of the original game, would not be too surprising :)

No rose-tint for me, as again, I played it quite recently. I enjoyed it more than most shooters i have played this gen! But I have somewhat weird taste, I guess. Is it your first time playing the game?

TEH-CJ

Banned
is this something new from the hd version? I don't think i ever noticed the glitch. Which, given the horrible resolution of the original game, would not be too surprising :)

No rose-tint for me, as again, I played it quite recently. I enjoyed it more than most shooters i have played this gen! But I have somewhat weird taste, I guess. Is it your first time playing the game?

Nope, played the game back in 2004.

played another level. up to level 4 I think. the Ai is incredibly stupid and why are they always facing the wrong way??. the game is so easy, even on hard! and the death animations are just horrid. its a shame really, because the level design is fantastic.

looks nice too.

Too many damned threads with similar themes. Sort of copy-paste from the other damned thread:

I'd love a Killzone remake, but a straight port is... not sure. There is a very good shooter there, with great levels, environments, weapons and story (!), but if it's just an upres'd version of the old glitchy and buggy KZ, then it's not so great.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Too many damned threads with similar themes. Sort of copy-paste from the other damned thread:

I'd love a Killzone remake, but a straight port is... not sure. There is a very good shooter there, with great levels, environments, weapons and story (!), but if it's just an upres'd version of the old glitchy and buggy KZ, then it's not so great.

Exactly this. kind of pointless port if you think about it. because its the exact same buggy killzone with increased res and frame rate.

Erasus

Oh man I loved this game. But from the videos even with resolution increase it has not aged well, unlike FFXII in 1080p...

Slap the KZ3 engine on it!

Jawmuncher

Scattaaaaa grenade!!!!!!!!

Oh man FIRST POST NAILS IT.
Read that and it brought back tons of memories not to mention a decent laugh.

Regardless even though it was a bit of a mess, It still had it's charm and was still very fun if you could get into it for what it was.
Especially the MP had a TON of fun with that playing splitscreen with my brother agaisnt the Hard AI.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

You know, just going through it again, I can't possibly disagree. Killzone 2 and 3 are so much more refined than the original. Regardless of content, the simple act of PLAYING KZ2 and 3 completely decimates the original.

On top of that, the AI is superior, the controls are superior, the level design is more interesting, etc.

KZ1 is a neat little game but it's very dated and was never really great.

Man

KZ1 to KZ2 is probably one of the biggest leaps ever (excluding obvious 10+ year title disparities).

amar212

KZ1 is a neat little game but it's very dated and was never really great.

It has 4 characters to play, 30+ hours campaign (if you opted to play on Hard, manual reload, no centering, no assists for the first playtrough) and it is damn great FPS, probably one of the PS2 finest.

So no, it is not a neat little game by any margin. And yes, it is great.

IMO of course, opinions are opinions, not an universal facts.

dark10x

It has 4 characters to play, 30+ hours campaign (if you opted to play on Hard, manual reload, no centering, no assists for the first playtrough) and it is damn great FPS, probably one of the PS2 finest.

30+ hours?

Quite frankly, I don't think the game (on PS2) is even playable. The framerate is one of the lowest of any game released last generation. That alone would be enough to tank it but there are plenty of other issues.

That said, holding an unpopular opinion is something I've taken part in as well. I absolutely love Resident Evil 6 despite some of its clunkiness, for instance.

In terms of graphics. In terms of everything else i thought it was one of the biggest drops ever, heh
I couldn't possibly disagree more, but hey.

I have played it. Well, up until the final boss fight which is just stupid. I much preferred KZ1 in every aspect :)
What exactly was it about the first one that you preferred? I'd love to additional insight into your thoughts on this.

TEH-CJ

Banned

Does anyone find this game, like...incredibly easy?

Im playing on hard and it feels like im playing a shooting gallery. doesnt help when the helghast are facing the opposite direction.

im just breezing through this.

Stoffinator

30+ hours?

Quite frankly, I don't think the game (on PS2) is even playable. The framerate is one of the lowest of any game released last generation. That alone would be enough to tank it but there are plenty of other issues.

I played it fine on the PS2 many times. It was something you just put up with, but never made it unplayable.

Does anyone find this game, like...incredibly easy?

I find it a little harder later on, when the enemies start to get those grenade pistols. But not incredibly hard.

dark10x

I played it fine on the PS2 many times. It was something you just put up with, but never made it unplayable.
Man, I just...wow. The performance was so terrible. Makes Shadow of the Colossus look like it's running at 60 fps or something in comparison.

I suppose it wasn't really any worse than Perfect Dark or Goldeneye, though, which people obviously didn't have an issue with.

Nope, played the game back in 2004.

played another level. up to level 4 I think. the Ai is incredibly stupid and why are they always facing the wrong way??. the game is so easy, even on hard! and the death animations are just horrid. its a shame really, because the level design is fantastic.

looks nice too.

Considering that this is Sony's flagship FPS, GG should of gone the extra mile and redone this game with the KZ2/3 engine. I think charging $40 for a redone KZ game would of sold this fall considering that there isn't a blockbuster hit for the PS3. I was watching some Youtube videos and having read all the comments about this new HD version and I can't believe that it doesn't hold up well when Halo: CE both retro and anniversary editions still hold up well and that game is 3 years older than KZ. The nice thing is that those that never played the original on the PS2 can experience it on the PS3.

dark10x

I was watching some Youtube videos and having read all the comments about this new HD version and I can't believe that it doesn't hold up well when Halo: CE both retro and anniversary editions still hold up well and that game is 3 years older than KZ. The nice thing is that those that never played the original on the PS2 can experience it on the PS3.
Halo was always a much better game and the XBOX hardware was more capable of delivering an FPS experience.

The HD version of Killzone is a MASSIVE improvement over the PS2 version, however, thanks to a much smoother framerate. Halo Anniversary, on the other hand, often ran worse than Halo 1 on XBOX. :\

Jawmuncher

Considering that this is Sony's flagship FPS, GG should of gone the extra mile and redone this game with the KZ2/3 engine. I think charging $40 for a redone KZ game would of sold this fall considering that there isn't a blockbuster hit for the PS3. I was watching some Youtube videos and having read all the comments about this new HD version and I can't believe that it doesn't hold up well when Halo: CE both retro and anniversary editions still hold up well and that game is 3 years older than KZ. The nice thing is that those that never played the original on the PS2 can experience it on the PS3.

Definetly agree.
Really wish they had gone the extra mile.
At least they kept the local MP in though even if the game is just HD.
Something Halo Anniversary didn't do which was just dumb.

I'm also surprised that there wasn't a PS+ 10% discount on this either. I have way too much to play right now or else I would jump on this. Hopefully when games slow down this goes on sale or becomes a plus perk.

Stoffinator

Definetly agree.
Really wish they had gone the extra mile.
At least they kept the local MP in though even if the game is just HD.
Something Halo Anniversary didn't do which was just dumb.

Well I think the point of this was to keep it much to the original as possible. Not do a remake. But a remake would of been nice. Would of also been nice (even more so) to have the PSP version in this collection playable on PS3.

XGoldenboyX

Defenitelly one of the better HD releases.

I give it a 8/10 if not for its sometimes jerky animations, the low shooting rate of some weapons and the lack of music during gameplay. But by no means a problem.

Overall, an awesome game with great art direction and visuals, Smooth framerate and gameplay. Button configuration is also a great advantage.

: ) Very cool

Top Bottom