• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone HD |OT|

pixelbox

Its easy when its not broken. there are times where you only die from cheap deaths or a random glitch when a grenade explodes 200 meteres away.
Dat GG immersion. The atmosphere in their games are off the scale. The AI is not bad in groups and truthfully not bad individually. They react to your actions such as gernades or being damaged.

KalBalboa

Banned
In the spirit of the thread:

Resistance 3 > Killzone 2 ≥ Killzone 3 > Resistance: Fall of Man > Resistance 2

Killzone 3 recieves far to much flack, but there's no matching the wow factor I experienced when I first played Killzone 2. The split-screen co-op in Killzone 3 and mp mode made for a really tight package, not to mention that slide into cover mechanic I keep championing.

RoylAsult

im still trying to decide if i should buy the collection or not. i never played the first KZ and i know its 15$ on PSN but i really did like 2 and 3 wouldnt mind replaying them but its the same day as AC3. decisions...

there is nothing really added to 2 and 3 right? what to do....

im still trying to decide if i should buy the collection or not. i never played the first KZ and i know its 15$ on PSN but i really did like 2 and 3 wouldnt mind replaying them but its the same day as AC3. decisions...

there is nothing really added to 2 and 3 right? what to do....

Personally, go with ACIII and wait for a sale for this collection if you've played 2 and 3 already.

Alebrije

I got a very cheap Killzone 3 collectors edition for the Helgast helmet and sold the game. I have not played any killzone game ( just liked the helmet design).

Now this collection will fit with my helmet.... : )

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The music in this series is really under appreciated. Especially in the first game. It's awesome.

My lasting impression of KZ1 (PS2) was the nearly euphoric feeling I got when I switched from buggy KZ and played some wonderful Halo. So I guess it had its upside.

I agree its no Halo and it never should have been pitted against it. But for a linear shooter I really enjoyed it. I don't recall ever having any significant bugs (just enemies falling in weird ways, stuff like that), and I haven't run into any while playing the HD version either.

daevv

I got a very cheap Killzone 3 collectors edition for the Helgast helmet and sold the game. I have not played any killzone game ( just liked the helmet design).

Now this collection will fit with my helmet.... : )

Fit IN your helmet you mean. lol

Y2Kev

I agree its no Halo and it never should have been pitted against it. But for a linear shooter I really enjoyed it. I don't recall ever having any significant bugs (just enemies falling in weird ways, stuff like that), and I haven't run into any while playing the HD version either.

There are lots of physics glitches, but nothing really bad. Honestly, the game just feels a bit...quaint now. No real scripted set pieces, no huge explosions...just very small encounters with sort of limited options. They don't make games like this anymore really.

There are lots of physics glitches, but nothing really bad. Honestly, the game just feels a bit...quaint now. No real scripted set pieces, no huge explosions...just very small encounters with sort of limited options. They don't make games like this anymore really.
Quaint is a really apt word. Levels are short (sometimes just a few minutes apiece), there is a minimum of exposition, you just kind of shuttle along from one area to the next, the little jingle that plays when you complete a level, and there's a complete lack of way point markers telling you exactly where to go and what to do next (not that you really need one.) It's completely old school and I'm having fun with it, for all these reasons.

TEH-CJ

Banned
R3 is best insomniac game this gen its even better than crack in time oh and darkness 2 was generic? seriously?

i completely agree with him.

the game is terrible in every sense of the word. it is such a chore to play through.

from the worst Ai I have ever fought against, to the terrible death animations that seem to have a basic havok physics engine, terrible compressed sound effects, linear levels. weapons that are not satisfying to shoot even if they are unique. and half of the time the game doesnt even fucking work because it stuck loading.

they removed the massive scale battles, the good and challenging AI from resistance 1 that clearly took inspiration from Halo, the good THX sound effects from R1. and completely removed the sense of weight behind the physics.

what did we get instead?

a complete turd, that removed any redeeming quality resistance 1 and 2 had. and turned it into a one man army that was rubbish to play.

so yes, I agree with him.

fernoca

Just got this as part of the Trilogy, and as expected back when it was announced...
The game's on the first disc with Killzone 2, BUT!...you need to install it in order to play it.

When the first disc is on the PS3 (disc #2 is Killzone 3), you see 2 things:
-Killzone 2
-Killzone Extras

"Killzone 2" of course lets you play Killzone 2. :p
"Killzone Extras", gives you the first game and the digital manual for the 3 games. The first time you click on the first game, it installs a little over 3GB. You need the disc to play the game (like the Journey Collection).

Don't know if in other regions is the same, but NTSC is like that.

So, like I also said back then...those looking to save some HDD space by buying this Trilogy, keep that in mind...cause you won't. You only save download bandwith (i.e. the inFamous and God of War collection...which included vouchers to download part of the games). In my case, I just wanted the 3 games for a relatively small amount of money. :p

That aside, it looks great and plays great. I already was a fan of the first game, so it's nice to see it in HD.

R3 is best insomniac game this gen its even better than crack in time oh and darkness 2 was generic? seriously?

Two games with completely different art styles and gameplay mechanics. Somehow both generic. Gee I hate to even ask what random fps he's gonna champion as being the gold standard for first person shooters. I'm gonna assume Halo for the more open firefights.

As for Killzone, I'm still torn whether I want to download this or wait for a price drop. I already own the sequels but damnit I need everything on disc.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Seriously?

Resistance 3 was better than ACIT, you must be joking

R3 had an OK SP, but the MP destroyed any good it had going for it
ACIT fires off on cylinders. It is held as the best Insomniac game to date, by most here on GAF including me.

At least R&C series tries to evolve, side-progresses per title, Resistance was great with FOM, then 2 & 3 went the "me too/follow the leader/clone" route
If you put R 1, 2, 3, only thing the damn franchise is consistent with is Chimera as an enemy, that's all
Lone survivor with mystery (R1) to team based (R2) back to lone survivor protecting family (R3), had no flow, different main characters/universe was uselessly used

pixelbox

You know, im really enjoying this game. Sure there's no havoc physics but damn the gunplay and encounters...This is pure level design at its finest. The only thiny you could ask for is a more involving story and the physics. As fro which is the best KZ thats simply KZL. Three really fucked things up for the series by going semi-mainstream. GG sure stick to cover based encounters, heavy camera work(shaky camera while firing, throwing gernades, and reloads), and recoil.

TEH-CJ

Banned
You know, im really enjoying this game. Sure there's no havoc physics but damn the gunplay and encounters...This is pure level design at its finest. The only thiny you could ask for is a more involving story and the physics. As fro which is the best KZ thats simply KZL. Three really fucked things up for the series by going semi-mainstream. GG sure stick to cover based encounters, heavy camera work(shaky camera while firing, throwing gernades, and reloads), and recoil.

you know, im actually starting to warm up to it. you see, I played Killzone HD right after completing killzone 2 and halo reach...so natrually it would look dated in comparison.

the level design is simply the best in the business. the game is dated as hell, and the voice acting just kills me inside, but I keep playing just to marvel at the level design and atmosphere.

put it this way, I think its miles better than resistance 3. and im not joking here.

pixelbox

Two games with completely different art styles and gameplay mechanics. Somehow both generic. Gee I hate to even ask what random fps he's gonna champion as being the gold standard for first person shooters. I'm gonna assume Halo for the more open firefights.

As for Killzone, I'm still torn whether I want to download this or wait for a price drop. I already own the sequels but damnit I need everything on disc.
Just get the DL. Just cause you have the PS4 doesnt mean its BC.

pixelbox

you know, im actually starting to warm up to it. you see, I played Killzone HD right after completing killzone 2 and halo reach...so natrually it would look dated in comparison.

the level design is simply the best in the business. the game is dated as hell, and the voice acting just kills me inside, but I keep playing just to marvel at the level design and atmosphere.

put it this way, I think its miles better than resistance 3. and im not joking here.
Games were so different back then. Hopefully GG sees the warm response and take note. We want level design, recoil, and simplicity. After playing KZ2 MP its just so clear as to what they should do. The class system was simple to balance, either add more weapons or levels. And when i look at it games don't even have level designs anymore.

Platinumed it today. Very enjoyable title, took a a while took get back into it (I played/finished the PS2 version when it launched)

As stated above, very pure level design, which I liked. Rico was my boy during the Hard playthrough, because damn the checkpoints can get atrocious.

Really excited for KZ-Mercenary now, might even fire up my KZ-Liberation copy today :D

Damn I kinda want to play it now since you guys are praising the level design. how much is the collection? I haven't played KZ3's single player either :/

As for resistance 3, I totally forgot how TERRIBLE the multiplayer was, probably the worst multiplayer game I have played this year along with STARHAWK (ARGH)

I forgot how amazing Rico's 'big daddy' heavy machine gun was. And it fires rockets too! Guerrilla was crazy for taking these alt fires out for KZ2.

Y2Kev

This game is like Silent Hill the Shooter. The fog is insane and there's like no music in gameplay.

KZ2 and 3 are really much better.

At chapter 6 now...... well, the level designs are really surprising me!!

So glad they didn't release the game as a classic PS2 and delayed it to make it HD... it looks nice for a 8 years old game.

But the Platinum isn't going to be mine with KZ1 .... I mean Playing the game from chapter 3 or 4 or 5 till the end FOUR times is just too much for me to take and handle :\

Other than all, all the trophies seems fine and enjoyable.

Himself

This game is like Silent Hill the Shooter. The fog is insane and there's like no music in gameplay.

Sounds like Disruptor.

And, shit, I have to weigh in here: R3=R1>KZ2>>R2>>>>>>>KZ3.

Killzone 3 was as beautiful to look at as it was dull to play.

Nizz

I'm waiting to catch this collection on sale. I want to have everything on discs in a collection. I traded K2 and K3 but used that credit plus some Amazon rewards points for Uncharted 3 and Rage.

I will get this set later down the line though.

pixelbox

KZ2 and 3 are really much better.
Don't forget the film grain! One of the swamp level had so much it looked like snow! Reminded me of 'nom movies.

I just got this game 2 days ago. I'm a pretty big KZ1 veteran and was sold on the promise of a sequel back in 05.
Some notable changes:

Smoother Framerate is a god send.

Smoother controls are nice.

Controls button layout is a little different (probably changable I didn't try)

Sniping is easier and has a small dot on the scope to help line up your shot.
Small glitches are still around that made the game better such as infinite sprinting.
Sniping appears to be post patch KZ2 where no scopes often go highly off target. Pre-patch you could just no scope and fuck people up. However, it mostly requires the use of a quick scope.

I've still yet to see if the shotgun ammo glitch is still working and to see if I can still escape out of Park Terminal and what not.

Not sure if crouch glitching still works either. God I wish this game had online. This was such an awesome game for 1 on 1 matches.

I can confirm button mapping is completely customizable.

I do wish there was an option to hold the 'aim in' button rather than have it be on a toggle but its not a big deal.

KageMaru

I can't wait to get this. I just don't have the time, or money, right now. =/

Love what I'm reading from the impressions though. =D

amar212

GG should have remade this with the killzone 3 engine,would've looked and played great.

I agree. They've should used KZ2/KZ3 assets anywhere they could and made it a full-fledged experience.

However, it would take 2 years do develop and test and it would never pay itself off.

But as it is - I am having a blast. Such a great, great game. Shame they didn't re-render the cutscenes with in-game engine, the only real downfall.

Y2Kev

How is the killzone series compared to the Resistance series? I've played each resistance game (singleplayer) but was wondering how the singleplayer campaigns of killzone stack up against resistance?

I already know how the MP is for both.

In my opinion:

R3 > KZ2 > R1 > KZ3 (we're still in the tier of what I'd consider very good) > KZ1 > R2 (shit)

R2 is shit.

Why is everybody pooping up this thread with Resistance comparisons? lol

After replaying this game his weekend I'm hoping to see Hakha and/or Luger make a surprise appearance in KZ:Mercenary. Their characters should fit that style of play perfectly and they weren't even used properly in KZ2 and KZ3. Only Rico, and we know how the reaction to that was.... :)

stuminus3

Why is everybody pooping up this thread with Resistance comparisons? lol
Because there's no point in making Halo comparisons. :p

How big is the DL for this from PSN? I'll probably get that instead of the collection at some point since I already own KZ2/3. Never played the first one because I had an abundance of classic PC shooters in 2004 so I didn't even consider buying one on PS2.

Ok so what's the deal here? This is the Demon's Souls of the FPS? I die and I have to replay the WHOLE LEVEL!!!!

Good thing this game have an amazing levels.

I love this game... just so simple. I mean that not in a bad way, but a good way. They don't just throw a bunch of different gameplay elements at you, but instead focus on just the gunplay in small encounters... that is it. It is very, very refreshing. Every shooter now has to have so many little nuances and mechanics, but this game just gives you a gun and lets you run with it.

I'm just happy the framerate is smooth. Makes playing for longer periods of time so much easier..

Top Bottom