• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone HD |OT|

Why are people praising the level design? I mean what's so special about it? I mean it's not bad per say, I'm just genuinely curious.

Well I think praising it is a big word, people could easily write it off as bland and linear and I wouldn't blame them. Don't expect mind blowing level design here.

I think most people who like the 'level design' are charmed by the purity of the encounters. The game doesn't ask you to perform other tasks, just press a button or set a bomb once in a while. The levels are build up in a simple way and are easy to navigate (even though sometimes I wish the game telegraphed your objectives a bit more clear), so that the player can focus solely on the gunfights.

In short don't expect anything special here, the levels are laid out simple and clean.

also....

e65ky.jpg

feelsgoodman :)

pixelbox

Why are people praising the level design? I mean what's so special about it? I mean it's not bad per say, I'm just genuinely curious.

Well besides the organic look of the levels, there's a flow for the shootouts due to the design. Crates are strategically placed for cover, buildings has rooms overlooking arenas that are perfect for snipe points, and level layouts are design for every weapon. Not to mention there's multiple routes for each charater. The game really shines during later levels.

KageMaru

Well besides the organic look of the levels, there's a flow for the shootouts due to the design. Crates are strategically placed for cover, buildings has rooms overlooking arenas that are perfect for snipe points, and level layouts are design for every weapon. Not to mention there's multiple routes for each charater. The game really shines during later levels.

Yeah, even though the game is linear, I thought the game had a great flow that never felt forced. At least from what I remember playing it years ago.

TEH-CJ

Banned
What the hell is wrong with me today. im liking everything lol

game clicked with me. played it straight after halo 3 and still had a blast. up to the last level on killzone HD...and man the gunplay is still awesome.

improvements ive noticed

Hit detection is miles better than kz on ps2
enemies react alot better
death animations are still buggy as hell but improved. somehow I can look past that.

it just clicked with me today.

oh and the AI is pretty good lol

The game starts out very boring... Then it gets better, then it gets A LOT better and enjoyble!

At the last chapter now, mini review after I'm done.

But for real, I never hated a checkpoint system before in a FPS game as much as this.

Annnnnnnd... done!

+ Nice cast of characters
+ Some of the best level designs I've ever seen in an FPS
+ The game offers a challenge
+ Good graphics upgrade, some level were really beautiful for a 2004 game

- AWFUL checkpoint system
- AWFUL start and first levels
- Some trophies are annoying and a big turn off for the Platinum ( seriously I need to go through the game almost 4 times? No thanks.).
- The story could have been better
- I swear my ears were so close to bleed of hearing [ KIIIIILLLLLL HIIIIIM ] over and over and over again

This game reminded me why I LOVE the Killzone universe <3

My dad says it plays like Call of Duty 2. To me that's a compliment, but he considers CoD2 "so so". He loves Killzone 2 and 3.

I know this may not make sense, but I feel this is what COD4 would've been like if it wasn't balls to the walls action constantly and instead would be a slow methodical pace.

KalBalboa

Banned
I picked up the Killzone Trilogy today brand new for $20 thanks to that 50% off PS Collections deal at Gamestop. The original Killzone actually holds up better than I expected, but nostalgia goes a long way in making the fun happen.

Split screen versus bots with my buddy was a fun way to kill an hour.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just don't remember the game being so quiet. It's typically dead silent in gameplay.

The characters and dialog are all really well done, actually. What happened with KZ2? :)

pixelbox

What the hell is wrong with me today. im liking everything lol

game clicked with me. played it straight after halo 3 and still had a blast. up to the last level on killzone HD...and man the gunplay is still awesome.

improvements ive noticed

Hit detection is miles better than kz on ps2
enemies react alot better
death animations are still buggy as hell but improved. somehow I can look past that.

it just clicked with me today.

oh and the AI is pretty good lol
Well i think it was a combination of hype and the possibly of being a more realized title plus todays standards for shooters. Its so much different than other shooters, no hand holding and no fluff. Just a pure shooting experience. More games should focus on level design and not layouts. I want to add that this game is just beautiful. Everything just looks so tangible.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Well i think it was a combination of hype and the possibly of being a more realized title plus todays standards for shooters. Its so much different than other shooters, no hand holding and no fluff. Just a pure shooting experience. More games should focus on level design and not layouts. I want to add that this game is just beautiful. Everything just looks so tangible.

I agree. I love the snow level man. how good is the level design ? its brilliant!

the helghast sound alot better as well. not sure if its the updated audio, or they recieved new lines? because they always sounded terrible in the ps2 version.

game is going to get a 5 out of 10 from the rubbish site they call ign. but I think after letting this game absorbing for a couple of days, it desserved about an 8.

TEH-CJ

Banned
It deserved 10 backthen, it deserves 10 today.

Not sure if I would give it a 10 lol. if it was released in this state back then..then maybe a 9.

good game, still need improvements though. but!...that being said, if it was the same game with killzone 2 engine and intensity, I would give it an easy 10 and call it the best fps ever. no shit.

Up to chapter 4. The game definitely looks and plays the best it ever has but I still hate just how innacurate the helghast assault rifle is at medium to long range. And switching guns mid firefight feels like it takes forever.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I just bought this yesterday, and played for a good hour. I'm really enjoying it so far. My first experience with Killzone 1 was a few years back, playing it on my PS3. I really enjoyed it then.

The game design is pretty straight forward, but even then, you can see what Guerrilla Game's ambitions for the game were, despite the technology not being able to keep up at the time. I'm really enjoying the gameplay, now that it's much smoother, and no longer hampered by the PS2 hardware. I've been getting headshots pretty easily, although I had to tweak the control scheme to get one that I was comfortable with. Things like switching the Zoom button, and the Alt fire buttons, etc, stuff like that.

I've always loved the Killzone story and lore, but was really disappointed that the series never did enough with it. I've said it before, but I'd love to see the Killzone series get the Mass Effect treatment. That is to say, I'd love to see it go the RPG route, but keep the first person perspective. Set it during some of the earlier conflict, let us choose between playing as Helghan or ISA, and just really go deep into all that interesting backstory. I think the environments of Vekta and Helghan are fascinating, and would love to explore them more. KZ2 and 3 had this amazing detail and atmosphere, I just wanted to roam around. Give me an RPG, set on one or both of those planets, and I'll be in seventh heaven (maybe go a Fallout 3/New Vegas route, minus the crippling bugs. Lol).

I wouldn't mind an overhauled, maybe even scaled back graphical engine, to accommodate the larger scale. Although, personally, I'd prefer it to be a PS4 title. That way, it could keep the graphical fidelity the series is known for, but expand it.

I think the original Killzone is very underrated, and it was doing gritty realism before many other FPS series conned on. I'm enjoying the look and feel of this, and I miss not having the 4 playable characters in the sequels. Either way, I think KZ is a pretty solid series. 1-3 and Liberation were all pretty good. Is a lot of the resistance to the franchise due to the media hype and backlash of KZ1, and the CG target render of KZ2?

I'm glad I dropped the $15 on KZ1 (already own KZ2 and 3). I'll sink some more time into it later.

pixelbox

The art style in the killzone series is amazing. So authentic. I just want a new killzone for the current gen. Just so the engine could give the old ps3 a workout.

I Know I said no way to get the Platinum in this game.... but dear god I couldn't resist:

photoll.jpg

Seriously the levels design are amazing and they were the reason why I had no problem going through the game 5 times.

You're probably in for a treat. I think it holds up for the most part very well, and when it doesn't, it doesn't in a very quaint way.

Finally got this last night, ohohoh memories. I loved this back in the day, and a lot of what I love is still there. The weighty feel, great weapon models with slick animations, the sci-fi take on WW2 (I'm not a sci-fi fan at all but this just clicks with me), Helghast murder simulator, vault, ladder slide animations and the awesome melee attacks, and also the "negatives" from before like cheesy voice acting "He was only a boy !" and the wimpy dude in the second level.

Port seems great so far, with my only disappointment being that it isn't 60 FPS. Image looks pretty damn clean too, I guess thanks to the resolution and AA applied. Should be interesting when i reach the swamp and port levels.

Old problems are still there, but I loved the game anyway, mainly because of the points I put above. Cant wait to go stealth predator with Lugar. They really ought to try doing that "mix" of playable characters again with future games. Whatever happened to Lugar and Hakha anyhoo ?

Top Bottom