• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone IGN review!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
how much budget do MGS games have? how many programmers at a time coding?
as compared to say generic xbox action title #43.
MGS3 runs at 30FPS... That's why I joked telling him to not remind me.

Which post was a sweeping generalization?
The one where you said that PS2 is 'by far' technically worst. In my book, when something is 'by far worst', it shouldn't have any technical aspects better than any of the competition, or any multiplatform game not being the worst version.

On the other hand, your mentioning of the possible way that reviewers score games is how they actually, and self admittedly, score them.

Halo is one hell of a polished game
In general, I would agree - if we ignore that last level (dipping down to literally 1-2FPS in couple of places).

Axsider

Banned
FOR ALL YOU OUT THERE. Even if you are the biggest HALO/MS fanboy..... if you think, that KILLZONE deserves a 7.5....ok, it's over. But FORGET it, it IS a great game. Play it and decide for yourself. Ok, call me a KILLZONE-fanboy (That's bullshit) but KILLZONE is one of the greatest games on PS2!!! If you think, it is UNDER 8.5 or 85%, then.... kick this game into the V.I.P, Gift, and so on.... container.

Give it a chance, and you will know what I mean. Rent it, and proof it for yourself.
7.5.... what a fucking bad joke. I can't believe it!

Axsider said:
FOR ALL YOU OUT THERE. Even if you are the biggest HALO/MS fanboy..... if you think, that KILLZONE deserves a 7.5....ok, it's over. But FORGET it, it IS a great game. Play it and decide for yourself. Ok, call me a KILLZONE-fanboy (That's bullshit) but KILLZONE is one of the greatest games on PS2!!! If you think, it is UNDER 8.5 or 85%, then.... kick this game into the V.I.P, Gift, and so on.... container.

Give it a chance, and you will know what I mean. Rent it, and proof it for yourself.

thorazine_bottle2.jpg

GhaleonEB

Marconelly said:
In general, I would agree - if we ignore that last level (dipping down to literally 1-2FPS in couple of places).

Very true - the Maw run is a blast but the engine wasn't up to it.

GhaleonEB

Axsider said:

You know, instead of bitching about the score, I'd like to see to address their specific issues. Such as:

The first major gameplay oriented problem with Killzone is that the AI is about as intelligent as an orange rolling down a hill. It stands around, stares at walls, twitches madly, remains completely oblivious to things like the death of its friends, and likes to line up in single file and march to its death.

And:

It's not uncommon to walk in front of a character and see a blurry mishmash of polygons that would barely pass as PSOne acceptable. It's not uncommon to turn a corner and see a hill that looks like a grey temporal void, or a floor that's a long sheet of pure brown. It's pretty ridiculous and happens way too much to be healthy. But what's more distracting is the way the animation routines seem to be tied into this same broken LOD system. When characters in the distance or as close as one foot away do anything they might only draw two or three frames of animation. It's like watching a Southpark character spontaneously move from one position to the next. Since the animation appears to be subject to the same popping whims as the models and textures, this can make for a laughable experience, especially since none of the routines (death scenes in particular) are very good.

Are these fair critiques? Why or why not? Of course, answering these questions requires a certain level of cohereance, which you don't appear to posses at this point.

Sysgen

Axsider said:

phil_mcgraw.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are these fair critiques? Why or why not? Of course, answering these questions requires a certain level of cohereance, which you don't appear to posses at this point.

When speaking of the demo, they are HIGHLY accurate...

I know that much.

pilonv1

As I've said elsewhere, IGN can only review what's given to them. If Guerilla send them a shit build, then it's their own fault. And why are they sending mid/late September builds in late October? It's just a bunch of excuses for poor work.

Funny that the "unfinished code" damage control comes out when theres a bad review. You never hear of a game getting 8+ and the developers coming out and saying "Yeah we're pretty pleased, but imagine if we gave them the final code!"

Pug

If its a mid to late September build, they could have only woked on the game for a coupke of weeks after that. Most of the problems pointed out in the review will still be there for sure. September build, Novemeber release date, Game will go to pressing plants latest mid October. Basically they had 2-3 weeks.

8bit

Knows the Score
Wouldn't this not-quite-complete version also be the one that's been submitted for review to print media? Why would Guerilla be sending out incomplete code to people for review?

Forsete said:
Ooopsie IGN.. Ooopsie dooopsie.. lol :D

Even if this is true (and I kinda doubt that it is), how is it IGN's fault? If Guerrilla/Sony gave them an old build to review, the onus is on their stupid asses.

This is just as annoying as the Toe Jam & Earl 3 developers whining about their review scores.

pilonv1

It's just a damage control excuse.

"PLEASE STILL BUY OUR GAME WE FIXED THE AI, BAD CONTROLS AND HORRIBLE FRAME RATE IN TWO WEEKS. IGN IS EVIL. LUV GUERRILLA".

Sho Nuff

Banned
Axsider said:

So what PR firm do you work for? I'm serious.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm interested in Killzone, if only for the art style. As long as its a fun shooter I won't mind. Not everything is going to live up to Halo levels - heck, almost nothing does.

Having said that, Halo has plenty of scripting. Sure, the AI might decide to run a different way round that rock and be 'intelligent', but there are still plenty of dumb-as-a-rock 'take one step forward and 5 convenent will spawn from over there' moments to keep things nice and predictable.

Are we allowed to look forward to both? and maybe Half life 2 as well? Or can we only pick one?

Top Bottom