• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone IGN review!

Axsider

Banned
Mejilan said:
Where's that Axsider dude now?
Right here! And that`s a fucking joke! 7.5??? I got the review-version at home. Played through 6 levels until now and have to write a review in 7 days. 7.5?? rofl At the moment, I' will give it 90% or 92%.

7.5 my ass!

Damage control? Here it is:
IGN is talking about the hype about KILLZONE. "So let us kick Killzone's ass: 7.5"
But wait, and see.....

Axsider

Banned
He kicks KILLZONE's ass because of the hype. And, sorry for that, he's a Halo-fanboy. Read his review and you will see it.
But ok, wait for some more reviews.
7.5 pffff.... that's a fucking joke!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Axsider said:
He kicks KILLZONE's ass because of the hype. And, sorry for that, he's a Halo-fanboy. Read his review and you will see it.
But ok, wait for some more reviews.
7.5 pffff.... that's a fucking joke!

Yeah, but the description he throws down is very much in line with what I thought of the demo. Framerate issues, heavy scripting, poor AI, etc.

I'll have to wait and see...

i was just messing around about halo incase you dudes missed it, but its hard to convey sarcasm over the internet. tried to make it as ricockulous as possible

"Yeah, but the description he throws down is very much in line with what I thought of the demo. Framerate issues, heavy scripting, poor AI, etc."

I'm starting to notice a pattern with PS2 fans. They seem to think that stuff can be in a game and it still get a 9 plus because a developer did something neat looking on the PS2. I wouldn't bother arguing with them about it. I mean if GTA: SA can get a 9.9 with its technical flaws then I dunno exactly what the rankings mean anymore.

LukeSmith

Mr_Furious said:
It's silly to think any reviewer that attempts to critique Killzone won't want to compare it to Halo2. No matter how hard they try (or even state in the review), it'll find it's way into the review in some form. I have the opinion that if Halo2 didn't exist, this game would be receiving a better review and score.

Thanks Captain Obvious!

LukeSmith

CrimsonSkies said:
I'm starting to notice a pattern with PS2 fans. They seem to think that stuff can be in a game and it still get a 9 plus because a developer did something neat looking on the PS2.

Right. Technically speaking it is by far the worst console. So I think reviewers may sometimes have that whole "well, it's doing the best that it can, given the inferior tech of the console" attitude. Like when a retarded kid learns to read, but he's 19 years old and it's still a big deal.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Scoot said:
Right. Technically speaking it is by far the worst console. So I think reviewers may sometimes have that whole "well, it's doing the best that it can, given the inferior tech of the console" attitude. Like when a retarded kid learns to read, but he's 19 years old and it's still a big deal.

hahahahahaha. Post of the day.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
CrimsonSkies said:
"Yeah, but the description he throws down is very much in line with what I thought of the demo. Framerate issues, heavy scripting, poor AI, etc."

I'm starting to notice a pattern with PS2 fans. They seem to think that stuff can be in a game and it still get a 9 plus because a developer did something neat looking on the PS2. I wouldn't bother arguing with them about it. I mean if GTA: SA can get a 9.9 with its technical flaws then I dunno exactly what the rankings mean anymore.

Yeah, just like Halo recieved high scores despite technical flaws too. ;)

jett

D-Member
Shit, the review make it seem like Killzone is sub-5.0 game, not deserving of a 7.5 score. Man, I was looking forward to this thing. WTF happened to the A.I. anyway? The Guerrila people made a HUGE deal about it being groundbreaking or some shit.

Mr_Furious said:
I have the opinion that if Halo2 didn't exist, this game would be receiving a better review and score.

Yeah, and I have a feeling that if Madden didn't exist, NFL Blast would get better reviews and scores.

dark10x

CrimsonSkies said:

That's kinda unfair...

The recent GTA games are among the most unpolished, awful looking games on the PS2...yet they are a blast.

If anything, they prove that gamers today are interested in more than just visuals...

A game can be technically flawed and still kick ass. It does not seem as if that is the case with KZ, though...

Argyle

dark10x said:
10x worse.

Halo was pretty decent in that regard. It would slowdown here and there, but all in all, it was a pretty solid 30 fps. Killzone rarely holds 30 fps. It constantly dips and skips all over the place. It makes aiming difficult and shatters any chance at polish it might have had. Killzone's framerate is worse than playing 2-player splitscreen CO-OP in Halo. Yes, it's THAT bad.

Ragdoll physics are present in this demo BTW.

Killzone looked like a mostly steady 20fps to me, maybe dipping occasionally to 15. I played it at a recent PlayStation event, about three weeks ago. At least they fixed the reloading and grenade throwing animations from E3...back then you would LOOK AT YOUR GUN AS YOU RELOADED insteead of the enemies, which was total shit.

From my impressions with the demo, it looked like a 6-7 kinda game to me, so this seems about right...

COCKLES

being watched
mc.jpg

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i was just messing around about halo incase you dudes missed it, but its hard to convey sarcasm over the internet. tried to make it as ricockulous as possible

It was obviously sarcasm to me, don't know how anyone couldn't see it.

dark10x

Argyle said:
Killzone looked like a mostly steady 20fps to me, maybe dipping occasionally to 15. I played it at a recent PlayStation event, about three weeks ago. At least they fixed the reloading and grenade throwing animations from E3...back then you would LOOK AT YOUR GUN AS YOU RELOADED insteead of the enemies, which was total shit.

From my impressions with the demo, it looked like a 6-7 kinda game to me, so this seems about right...

No, it's not a steady 20 fps. It hits 30 fps plenty of times, but it very often drops below and ends up flying all over the place. It's very unsteady and skips pretty badly (kinda like GTA:SA).

Argyle

dark10x said:
No, it's not a steady 20 fps. It hits 30 fps plenty of times, but it very often drops below and ends up flying all over the place. It's very unsteady and skips pretty badly (kinda like GTA:SA).

I seriously don't think it ever hits 30. But I could be mistaken, and I don't have the demo to fire up here...

Either way, I think we both agree that the framerate is terrible. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
CrimsonSkies said:
And I've long since noticed a pattern with your posts in PS2 related threads...

If we suddenly started holding PS2 games feet to the flames for every technical flaw found, that would actually be holding PS2 games to a higher standard than games on any other platform.

LukeSmith

kaching said:
If we suddenly started holding PS2 games feet to the flames for every technical flaw found, that would actually be holding PS2 games to a higher standard than games on any other platform.

This is some "I pee sitting down"-esque rationalizing here, dude.

"Will spin for Sony"

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't know whether this was posted in this thread yet, but it's still interesting and funny:

Playstation 2 Best of E3 awards

PlayStation 2 Game of the Show

Killzone

Developer: Guerilla Games
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Release Date: Winter 2004

blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda

If anything, it was a refreshing discovery too, as hype and anticipation are things that are rarely lived up to -- and miraculously, Killzone did.

Brosa

So according to IGN this is one of the worst FPS games on PS2 ever, and the bunch behind it is not really something to be proud of beating anyway... I find this very hard to believe.

9.2 Red Faction 2
9.1 Half Life
9.1 Red Faction
9.1 Timesplitters 2
8.8 Quake III
8.6 Timesplitters
8.4 Star Wars: Battlefront
8.4 Unreal Tournament
8.1 James Bond 007: Nightfire
8.1 Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior
8.0 MoH: Frontline
8.0 MoH: Rising Sun
7.9 James Bond 007: Agent under fire
7.7 XIII
7.6 Return to Castle Wolfenstein

7.5 Killzone

6.2 Serious Sam
5.0 VietCong: Purple Haze
4.5 Soldier of Fortune: Gold
4.0 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Scoot said:
This is some "I pee sitting down"-esque rationalizing here, dude.

"Will spin for Sony"
What, no reference to having me banned? I'm disappointed, Scoot.

I like your sense of fair play - CrimsonSkies has a valid point in your mind? No games on any other platform ever go on to get REALLY HIGH SCORES when found harboring a number of technical flaws?

Just saw the video review. I'm not one to usually question IGN's or any other site's opinion, but their 7.5 is just crazy for a game with the qualities of Killzone.

No matter what the reviewer says, on IGN's standards this score means utter crap and not 'a faulty game you should play'.

LukeSmith

Brosa said:
So according to IGN this is one of the worst FPS games on PS2 ever, and the bunch behind it is not really something to be proud of beating anyway... I find this very hard to believe.

9.2 Red Faction 2
9.1 Half Life
9.1 Red Faction
9.1 Timesplitters 2
8.8 Quake III
8.6 Timesplitters
8.4 Star Wars: Battlefront
8.4 Unreal Tournament
8.1 James Bond 007: Nightfire
8.1 Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior
8.0 MoH: Frontline
8.0 MoH: Rising Sun
7.9 James Bond 007: Agent under fire
7.7 XIII
7.6 Return to Castle Wolfenstein

7.5 Killzone

6.2 Serious Sam
5.0 VietCong: Purple Haze
4.5 Soldier of Fortune: Gold
4.0 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon

What a reductive way of looking at the Killzone score. Surely the standards for game design and game performance has shifted since the incredible /sarcasm Red Faction II. Now Killzone clearly isn't going to be what people hoped it was, but this sort of broad stroke comparison (using IGN, no less) is weak. Arguments like this will not get you through college, or high school.

Scoot said:
What a reductive way of looking at the Killzone score. Surely the standards for game design and game performance has shifted since the incredible /sarcasm Red Faction II. Now Killzone clearly isn't going to be what people hoped it was, but this sort of broad stroke comparison (using IGN, no less) is weak. Arguments like this will not get you through college, or high school.

The standard hasn't shifted for the ATV series I suppose. :)

ced

Let me just say that Red Faction 2 was trash, especially compared to the original. 9.2 for that is so wrong.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Scoot said:
That's OK... Xbox has bad art and runs at 30FPS, and Gamecube is teh kiddie, so it all evens out at the end, right?

SyNapSe

dark10x said:
What WERE you trying to get across then?

I was wondering the same thing..

Back to Killzone, seems like a pretty rough score, especially for such a good looking game. That intro a few days ago was pretty cool.

That's OK... Xbox has bad art and runs at 30FPS, and Gamecube is teh kiddie, so it all evens out at the end, right?

This makes me want to make a picture depicting the PS2 as a cripled old man, the Xbox as a huge fat man who cant go faster than a trot, and the gamecube as a little kid running around in circles with his arms spread out making airplane noises.

GhaleonEB

Black_Mamba said:
Just saw the video review. I'm not one to usually question IGN's or any other site's opinion, but their 7.5 is just crazy for a game with the qualities of Killzone.

No matter what the reviewer says, on IGN's standards this score means utter crap and not 'a faulty game you should play'.

Love how that flies in the face of the entire review text. Please explain to me how a shooter with crappy AI and glitchy graphics and animation should get any higher than a 7.5.

This thread is amusing. :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Though the PS2 is beginning to steal the Xbox's thunder in that respect. ;)
MGS3. Don't remind me. I'm trying to forget about it. Pain is now back. o_O

Easy superfan.
You can't make sweeping generalizations and not expect people to poke a joke or two at you. Besides, you are the one who sounds upset, or just too serious, for whatever reason.

As for your actual argument, you should know that reviewers (at least IGN and Gamespot) are, by their own words, reviewing platform exclusive games compared only to the other games on that platform, whether anyone likes that logic or not.

GhaleonEB said:
Love how that flies in the face of the entire review text. Please explain to me how a shooter with crappy AI and glitchy graphics and animation should get any higher than a 7.5.

This thread is amusing. :)

Maybe because the AI is crappy and scripted as 90% of today's shooters and all the graphic glitches are not as huge as the review text seem to point out. Of course, the frame rate is far from ideal, as it was on E3 when they said it was their game of the show, but I actually had to watch it 3 times to notice the 'OMG TEH LOD IS HILARIOUS' that Ivan laughs about.

I wonder what they're going to say about Halo 2's glitches. ;)

GhaleonEB

Marconelly said:

You can't make sweeping generalizations and not expect people to poke a joke or two at you. Besides, you are the one who sounds upset, or just too serious, for whatever reason.

As for your actual argument, you should know that reviewers (at least IGN and Gamespot) are, by their own words, reviewing platform exclusive games compared only to the other games on that platform, whether anyone likes that logic or not.

Makes sense. Should we compare the GBA Splinter Cell to the PC?

LukeSmith

Marconelly said:

Which post was a sweeping generalization? The one about the retarded kid? Where I stated the fact that the PS2 was the worst console in terms of Tech? Or was it this one?

Marconelly said:

Killzone simply (according to IGN) isn't up to snuff, but does IGN think Red Faction is still a 9.2 -- I doubt it.

nitewulf

Marconelly said:
how much budget do MGS games have? how many programmers at a time coding?
as compared to say generic xbox action title #43.

GhaleonEB

Black_Mamba said:
Maybe because the AI is crappy and scripted as 90% of today's shooters and all the graphic glitches are not as huge as the review text seem to point out. Of course, the frame rate is far from ideal, as it was on E3 when they said it was their game of the show, but I actually had to watch it 3 times to notice the 'OMG TEH LOD IS HILARIOUS' that Ivan laughs about.

I wonder what they're going to say about Halo 2's glitches. ;)

Halo is one hell of a polished game, and by all accounts Halo 2 is more so. That said, if it is glitchy, I hope it is noted. But Bungie games are usually pretty polished.

Top Bottom