• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

Its a japanese 3G model and it only shuts done the 3G antenna not wifi. Didn't shut down Vita at all after the message. The console didn't feel hot either but maybe it's the insides that were hot.

How long we're you playing for? I have European 3G model, I don't fancy it frying!

My only criticism of this game is the lack of offline bot multiplayer. I'd love to be able to play multiplayer at lunch at work, or on flights.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
How long we're you playing for? I have European 3G model, I don't fancy it frying!

My only criticism of this game is the lack of offline bot multiplayer. I'd love to be able to play multiplayer at lunch at work, or on flights.

I only played the first mission so maybe 40 minutes.

Augustus

Banned
This is amazing. By far my favourite Vita title. I do get the occasional stutter but other than that I'm loving it.

sunnz

Put 3 or so hours into it, such a good game.

The SP so far is pretty amazing and doesn't drop in FPS much ( with these graphics, that is pretty incredible) and the game controls and plays very well.

Love the MP ( marketplace seems a little too big for 8 players though) BUT sadly my biggest problem from the beta returns, the re spawn location/system is pretty terrible ( at least 40% of my deaths have been because of me spawning right near an enemy and dying from them since they were behind me)

Hope they fix that.

Born2Live

Popped back home for lunch and my copy was waiting for me. Just downloading the patch so hopefully will be done by the time I finish work ready for me to sink some hours into this over the weekend.

I'm a relatively new vitabro so my friend list is a little on the light side. Would love to play some MP with fellow GAF vitabros. My PSN ID is Ty_84.

alexg1989

Banned
To clarify, I don't actually need to download that 1GB patch do I? Is it required to play the game at all?

I've only got a 4GB stick and would have to buy another one and I just don't feel like doing that right now...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
To clarify, I don't actually need to download that 1GB patch do I? Is it required to play the game at all?

I've only got a 4GB stick and would have to buy another one and I just don't feel like doing that right now...
Probably required for online.
For SP you can just not install.

That update was a kick the teeth, lol. With Vita memory such a precious resource for people, that's a real negative, sorry, but it really is.
I bet there's a lot of people with 4gb cards that bought it and now can't update.

LAA

Got it yesterday, beat campaign on veteran and was working on getting intel and stuff.
I was working on the covert, etc. for each mission, and during the first mission on...covert I think? At least it was the 3rd tab. (Main, X, 3rd).
Anyway during that mission, I believe it was just when I started to repel to the courthouse and a message come up saying an error happened and whether to report it or not (Though the report option was greyed out anyway...)
Then I tried playing the game again.. save data corrupted... sigh...

Just warning people in case its a bug, or just very annoying unluck to me. Just very strange it happens literally the day after I beat it...

I dont think it was backed up, but in case it was. I did actually make a back up of my vita today through content manager.
Any chance the KZM save was backed up too? I do have KZM physically though so I would think it was stored on the cart itself, but I may be wrong.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I didnt have money either. I had to trade in shit. Im sure you could go that route no?

Nah. I don't trade in games anymore. I just wait until I either have the time or money to buy them.

I could certainly buy the game now, if I wanted, and a few more to boot, but I'm also teaching my self lessons in responsibility. I used to rush out and buy games day one just because. Then they'd sit on my backlog and not get touched for months (even years later). At that point, they'd be discounted significantly, but I spent full price on a paperweight.

I can wait on KZ:M, and quite a few others that I passed on this month. Eventually my schedule/finances will balance and clear up some, and I'll get to it. I'm in no rush, but I'm certainly envious of those that can play it now. I finally just finished Persona 4 Golden yesterday, with a game time of 125 hours and 59 minutes. Now I'm moving on to the next games on my Vita backlog (I still got Dragon Fantasy Book 1, Hotline Miami, Muramasa, Sly TiT, Dragon's Crown, NFS: MW, Dokuro, Soul Sacrifice, Jak 2 and 3 HD, and Atelier Totori Plus to name only a few). After what I played of KZM at E3 and the beta, I'm definitely bummed, but hey, I'm building character by waiting!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oh wow this is super lame. The game doesn't even save regularly. You have to go through every mission in one go. If the game gives me checkpoints then it should also save at those checkpoints. This is a handheld game for christ sake. And don't try and use the suspend feature of the system as an excuse. It's not a valid one. I might not feel like playing the game for an entire 40 minutes straight or however long each mission takes. Or I might just feel like playing a mission for 5 or 10 minutes and then switch to multiplayer. The missions clearly have multiple checkpoints in them so there's no logic in the game not saving at those checkpoints and allowing me quit the game and come back later at that checkpoint. Such a shame because aside from such a basic feature like this being missing the game is pretty stellar so far.

Oh wow this is super lame. The game doesn't even save regularly. You have to go through every mission in one go. If the game gives me checkpoints then it should also save at those checkpoints. This is a handheld game for christ sake. And don't try and use the suspend feature of the system as an excuse. It's not a valid one. I might not feel like playing the game for an entire 40 minutes straight or however long each mission takes. Or I might just feel like playing a mission for 5 or 10 minutes and then switch to multiplayer. The missions clearly have multiple checkpoints in them so there's no logic in the game not saving at those checkpoints and allowing me quit the game and come back later at that checkpoint. Such a shame because aside from such a basic feature like this being missing the game is pretty stellar so far.
Yeah. I learnt this the hard way, twice. I thought I just hadn't reached a check point yet and therefore had to start over on my second try at SP. The second time I wanted to play LBP with a friend online, this time knowing for sure that I had reached a check point as I died two times. Figured it would save, but it didn't. Doesn't make any sense not to let the game auto-save during check points.

Fix this shit, Guerrilla.

nowai

Isnt that problem completely negated by sleep mode? Who doesn't put their Vita in sleep mode?

A lot of times with my Vita I may be playing a game and get the urge to play some rounds of Spelunky or something similar.

The freedom to swap games is what makes portable gaming so enticing to me.

Yeah, I want to be able to switch between games at will. It's such a small thing to implement, there's no excuse for not having an auto-save option at check points.

Anyone having trouble getting online? I'm getting "Network Error: An internal error occurred" for all three modes, even after trying several times. Description isn't helpful. Servers down? Maintenance?

Grrr, my copy still hasn't arrived and they sent it Wednesday. Bloody Tesco. Hopefully it'll arrive in the morning, but I still won't be able to play until about this time tomorrow night.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'll pick this up for my plane ride next week.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Didn't know about the different variants of each mission. Kind of gives me a unit 13 vibe. Wasn't going to pick this up (not a huge FPS fan) but I think I need to try it. If I buy it physically then I can always trade it in towards tearaway

I'm right at the end but how do I beat
Benoit
? I keep shooting and have been for ages but it just keeps going.

EDIT: Derp, I got it.

Samus4145

Just posted my review. I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. Although the single-player is short, I thought the pacing worked great.

Feel free to add me on PSN for some online matches.

Samus4145

Gunplay is a little loose and knives are like wizard powers. I got stuck in a corner by a baddie and then 3 of his buddies lined up behind him while I slit all their throats.
The graphics are amazing, jaw dropping really but the gameplay is so janky. I also forgot about playing as a midget in KZ, it's annoying. lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Throwing out my PSN too: EatChildren

I have my Vita on me when I'm sitting at the computer, so I'd be down for some games.

This game is so good. Multiplayer is perfectly optimized for 4v4, only Mantis are annoying as fuck.
SP also ist very good so far, 3 Missions in.

bLaiSe

This game is so good. Multiplayer is perfectly optimized for 4v4, only Mantis are annoying as fuck.
SP also ist very good so far, 3 Missions in.

Keep calm if you see it and the aim snap-on should help shooting it down when it attacks.

Cha

Finished the Single Player campaign last night. Easily one of the most polished games on the Vita to date. Quick rundown of my impressions:

Graphically, the game is ridiculous. The animations are also really really good. It's a little difficult to appreciate everything while you are playing though, since you don't have time to admire the reflections and pretty explosions in the heat of battle.

Levels are well designed, offering you multiple ways to approach the mission. Sometimes I wondered if I'm even meant to be taking certain routes to get to the next objective. The missions themselves are well paced and build up quite nicely. I played on Recruit difficulty (the easiest) and found it difficult but manageable (I'm not a fps guy).

AI was absolutely fine (on easy). I expected them to be super dumb, but they moved around quite cleverly. Especially those fast running ninja bastards that seemed to love knifing me. But then again I suck at fps games, so maybe *gasp*
I am the dumb AI 0_0!!
!.Guards will notice you from a distance, and they don't give up looking for you easily (was expecting MGS-like cooldown time).

Story is alright, I guess. Not bad at all, but not mind-blowing. Wasn't expecting much anyway. Didn't buy the game for the story. I do want more story missions though. Campaigns were fun.

Sound is good. I especially liked the track that played in mission 5 or 6. It reminded me a liitle of Portal, and would have loved to hear more of that. The rest of the music was nothing outstanding to me. Voice acting was good, accept for a few instances. Guns and explosions sounded powerful. BlackJack is a funny guy. Love the way he speaks.

Only gonna jump into Multiplayer in November since I have too much of work to do.

A lot of hard work has been put into this game, and it shows.
ivspLOXuQGXsy.jpg

shaqnosis

Neo Member
Throwing out my PSN too: EatChildren

I have my Vita on me when I'm sitting at the computer, so I'd be down for some games.

Was just playing you in a mercenary warfare match.
i remember your PSN id cause you got me like 5 times in a row in the one match

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Why is everyone so much better at the full game than they were in the beta? I don't even dominate anymore. I don't even have an Ace valour card anymore! Not one day in the beta did I not have an Ace. Now I'm a Queen.

bLaiSe

Why is everyone so much better at the full game than they were in the beta? I don't even dominate anymore. I don't even have an Ace valour card anymore! Not one day in the beta did I not have an Ace. Now I'm a Queen.
For me it's the opposite. At the end of the beta people were getting decent. Now they don't stand a chance. There are so many noobs who jump in the multiplayer without playing the campaign first.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Was just playing you in a mercenary warfare match.
i remember your PSN id cause you got me like 5 times in a row in the one match

HEY HAY HAY!

therapist

Love the beta.
Cant wait for the full game , jealous some of you have it already -_-

I should get it thursday, cant complain since i paid 29.99 instead of 39.99

PSN ID : JovialCharacter

Mik2121

I got the game today here in Japan. I assumed everybody on GAF would already be playing this but... it seems we got it earlier than the US?? An FPS available in Japan earlier than the US is kinda crazy, lol!

Anyway, as everybody probably said... the visuals are crazy good. The game itself plays nicely and the controls are better than I expected, even though after playing for a while my hands feel slightly cramped, but I guess taking a break every once in a while it should be ok.

Top Bottom