• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

Grisby

I got the game today here in Japan. I assumed everybody on GAF would already be playing this but... it seems we got it earlier than the US?? An FPS available in Japan earlier than the US is kinda crazy, lol!

Anyway, as everybody probably said... the visuals are crazy good. The game itself plays nicely and the controls are better than I expected, even though after playing for a while my hands feel slightly cramped, but I guess taking a break every once in a while it should be ok.
Yes, the U.S, namely me, is patiently awaiting Tuesday.

oO Arekkz Oo

Neo Member
Whenever I try to join a mp game, I'm the only one there?! Wtf? Anyone else experiencing this?

Yeah I had the same problem this morning. I don't know if it's just because there are genuinely not that many people playing it, or the servers are just rubbish. First time I tried was in the morning (UK time), but then I had better luck in the afternoon, but I assume that's because the Americans were awake.

It seems a bit hit and miss right now...

Whenever I try to join a mp game, I'm the only one there?! Wtf? Anyone else experiencing this?
Same here. This never happened to me in BETA. Here's hoping it fares better after US Launch. I don't think it is due to lack of people since i have gotten plenty of 4 vs 4 matches but it is weird to "join" a match only to find yourself alone there.

Robotziane

Neo Member
Heads up for anyone trying the covert mission on stage 1. When you get to the part where you have to sneak past the two turrets just before trying to rescue the woman make sure you take out the central turret guy then the guy on the main floor area. If you dont your ai partner will trigger the alarms when he kills the second turret enemy.

KDR_11k

I don't like the melee animations, leaving aside that with the slowdown they're long and repetitive some of them just seem childish like the crotch stab attack while others don't look like they should really be instakills or like the knife should just bounce off. Maybe I notice it a lot because melee is really overpowered, anything within 2-3 meters can be instakilled with a press of the triangle button and a stupid touchscreen swipe (I'm a big proponent of new control methods and making actions in games more difficult but these swipes are completely trivial and add nothing to the game except the need for a slowdown during every melee animation). My first instinct when seeing a flamer dude is "charge and melee", not keeping a distance, that seems broken.

Other than the overpowered melee and my uncanny ability to always pick the wrong weapon from a crate before an encounter (switch from SMG to sniper rifle, next area is close combat. Finish that, switch back, next area is sniping...) it feels pretty generic and average. The mercenary thing feels like their attempt to make the game more portable friendly but since the missions aren't really bite-sized chunks that just seems badly executed. 20 minute missions with plenty of cutscenes and setpieces don't scream "replayability" to me.

Gskyace

Here is some tips for campaign.

1.STA-525E is great.
2.The highest difficulty is just fine.
3.The campaign takes about more than 5.5 - 6.5 hours actually.
4.After finishing the campaign once, there are three challenge modes for each level, which you should meet different requirements with different weapons or methods to achieve the goal.

Robotziane

Neo Member
20 minute missions with plenty of cutscenes and setpieces don't scream "replayability" to me.

They do to me, just finished doing all the challanges on the first mission. Love the fact that they have put these extra incentives to replay the missions. Could not care less about the mission length, just whack the vita into sleep mode when ive had my fill.

Aiii

So not worth it
Haven't even bothered with single player yet, the multiplayer is way too much fun. Starting to have some rounds now where I do exceptionally well, so that's alot of fun.

j9p0.jpg
That's my best run yet, don't know why, but marketplace just clicks for me alot more than the other maps do, though shoreline normally does okay by me as well.

j-wood

I really want to play this game but at the moment I have a 3ds instead of a vita. Anyone know of any vita deals?

Just started it. I'm rather enjoying it. But 2 queries about the start level. You supposedly have 2 ways to go about the mission. One to blow the bloody doors off or being able to gas? him. So I go up to the valve and the target is there but I can't do anything. Glitch or did I do something wrong? Also apparently there's a room you can go in going off the other guys conversation. But it's on red and I couldn't find a way to get in :(

lord pie

Just started it. I'm rather enjoying it. But 2 queries about the start level. You supposedly have 2 ways to go about the mission. One to blow the bloody doors off or being able to gas? him. So I go up to the valve and the target is there but I can't do anything. Glitch or did I do something wrong? Also apparently there's a room you can go in going off the other guys conversation. But it's on red and I couldn't find a way to get in :(

You have to buy the gas grenade.

sunnz

It might just be me... but being the host is actually quite a lot worse for you.

I had 3 games before were I wasn't host and they all were pretty good. No lag, smooth fps and everything seemed balance ( except mantis engine obviously)

When I was the host ( same people still in the game, minus the old host) I was getting killed almost instantly by all types guns, on my screen the other players were lagging around and I just seemed delayed in everything I did, all things I didn't notice in the last few games and didn't affect me.

Also, FUCK MANTIS ENGINE, stupid addition ( even to use it's OP)

I would be ok IF it wasn't something that popped up so damn often in game ( same with hell fury)

lord pie

If the mantis is bugging you, then equip the pyro grenade. Throw it in the general direction and trigger when it gets close. Boom. The armour piercing rapid fire shotgun also works well.
For skyfury, the homing rocket launcher is invaluable (good against the mantis too). Or equip infiltrator armour (I believe you do not show up as a target then).

Or, just drop a jammer. Knocks everything out in one hit.
Once you have a few loadouts unlocked, it is useful to setup some for dealing with certain types of players. I have one that is supply + jammer, as supply has 'ambient' vanguard recharge.

bLaiSe

If you turn the valve there will be an open air-shaft above the door. You can throw in a gas grenade there.

Question to those who played the beta... Did any of you guys manage to unlock everything? Is it feasible in a not-ridiculous amount of time?

Lucid07

Royal Mail at it again so it didn't come friday from amazon (although I had day one delivery) and they tried to deliver it today and put a note through the door saying it was too big, what a joke.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
So how is the stealth in this in the SP campaign? I remember in one of the videos released they were saying you could play sections in different ways and stealth was one of them.

Throwing out my PSN too: EatChildren

I have my Vita on me when I'm sitting at the computer, so I'd be down for some games.

What country you in EC?

Bailers

So disappointed there isn't a KZ:M bundle.

I'm looking at getting a Vita in October. Will the MP community still exist then? Sorry for the dumb question, but hoping that this doesn't die a quick death.

U2NUMB

Is this really out on the 11th in the US? Not the 10th? Both Amazon and BB list it as the 10th. Just curious as the OP has 11th.

lord pie

If you are looking for a challenge, I highly recommend playing the single player on Veteran with all hud disabled, including the map. It really changes how you play the game and makes it a lot more immersive.

VanWinkle

So disappointed there isn't a KZ:M bundle.

I'm looking at getting a Vita in October. Will the MP community still exist then? Sorry for the dumb question, but hoping that this doesn't die a quick death.

Oh definitely. You can even get into a match on Resistance Burning Skies now, and that game is A) Terrible, and B) Over a year old.

Mik2121

Is there a way to save mid-mission? I know I can quit the mission and it saves my money, but not the process as far as I know?

It kind of sucks because while the missions aren't too long, I already felt a couple times like trying the multiplayer but had to wait to finish the mission or else I'd have to do it all over again...

So how is the stealth in this in the SP campaign? I remember in one of the videos released they were saying you could play sections in different ways and stealth was one of them.
I just did part of the second mission all stealth. The basic way to do that part was to use a zip-line down the main area and then fight against the enemies, but what I did was buy a sniper rifle with silencer and snipe everyone from above. Then go down the zip-line and on the following area I got a different weapon (you can buy them on certain spots) and started to knife and headshot guys without anybody noticing.

So yeah, many times you'll be able to go stealth, though some of the enemies might be able to spot you very easily.

OmegaZero

If you are looking for a challenge, I highly recommend playing the single player on Veteran with all hud disabled, including the map. It really changes how you play the game and makes it a lot more immersive.

Noted.
If it hasn't been answered already, what difficulty levels are available from the get-go?

Top Bottom