• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

This is how I feel about the multi-objective MP in Killzone (and Resistance, I think). I don't think I've ever heard much critical praise for the Warzone mode, but it's easily my favourite MP innovation in recent years.

Ditto

KZ2 basically usurped BF2 as my favorite FPS MP experience

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Two more missions to go.
At first I thought it felt average, but I've really warmed up to it now.

Seems the 48 hour double xp/money thing only counts down when you quit the game?
I've been double xp for the last 4 days.

whos the genius who thought having a gun that shoots out grenades that explode on impact that fires in quick succession and can be used at any range in multiplayer was a good idea. Last couple matches people have been using this gun and it has accounted for a good majority of my deaths. I even thought of this being a problem before i actually ran into this problem. I was hoping no one would realize, well they did. Only way to kill them is to get them before they see you, if they get off one shot your dead. Then their the fact that they only have to hold down shoot to power it up so when they see someone they dont have to wait for the time delay. Thing needs to explode like a cooked grenade on them after a few seconds or overheat.

Shotguns and those mines are nothing in comparison. At least those have weaknesses, like you can hear the mine, and shotgun is useless at long range although its range is still to good imo.

Anyone else getting network errors when trying to access MP? I couldn't even log in last night...

i have completed about 25 matches and i would guess i have been kicked about 10 times, and most of those i was doing really well in at the time =(. That doesn't include the never having got in to begin with but part of that has to do with it being in standby and you have to close the game and start it up again. Its an issue for sure.

Cornbread78

i have completed about 25 matches and i would guess i have been kicked about 10 times, and most of those i was doing really well in at the time =(. That doesn't include the never having got in to begin with but part of that has to do with it being in standby and you have to close the game and start it up again. Its an issue for sure.

Damn, I couldn't even start a match last night. I've tried doing some of the Precision mission and have been failing mireably.... almost impossible to do it in the time alloted...

nampad

Anyone else getting network errors when trying to access MP? I couldn't even log in last night...

I kept getting an error as well last night. I have found that if I quit the game and restart it that seems to fix it for a while.

As soon as the game was in sleep mode or you left the game to the LiveArea, you can't connect to the MP anymore. Restarting will fix thix problem.

This should be in the OP since people still don't know it. And while we are at it:

The ingame timer doesn't correctly reflect your real playtime. It probably doesn't count retries and cutscenes.

KDR_11k

WTF is up with reviews saying that the game is "just another fps"? How many FPS games go the merc route, combining your resources from singleplayer & multiplayer to purchase weapons and upgrades? How many FPS have repeatable missions with different objectives? How many can you play at work? It's surprising how harsh some critics have been. I think the team did an awesome job and I wish them a ton of success!

The merc stuff has only limited impact on the game since it's mostly sidegrades (so once you've got favorites you don't need any more money) and there's not much of a "must earn money" feeling like in, say, Payday 2.

I don't know how many people will use the alternate objectives except out of desperation to squeeze a little more out of the game, the list of tasks never looks like it would be fun to deal with and the looooong missions aren't conducive to simply trying stuff out. Also in my case about half or more require gear that I haven't unlocked yet so I'd need to grind some money to play them.

Portability is great and all but "it's good for a portable game" is still a backhanded compliment. There's no reason except budgeting and business priorities why this can't be a game on par with any home game (except the graphics of course but those don't matter so much). We know that FPSes can be better than this because we've seen it on other systems. There are portable games that are great - full stop. Games that are all that they can be and can successfully compete with home games for your game time.

KZM is more like a Game Boy era spinoff, a game like Super Mario Land that pales in comparison to its home console brethren and is sold primarily on the premise that you can play it on the go, unlike other games like it. Many Vita games fall into that trap, inferior versions of home console games. Basically tie-ins that only sell on the brand name of the home console version and don't get the full resources of their publisher.

Compare that to how Nintendo runs the 3DS. Animal Crossing draws people away from the TV. Fire Emblem. Super Mario 3D Land is considered by some to be better than Galaxy 2 (others disagree but it's already remarkable that there's even a contest!). Mario Kart is Mario Kart. Kid Icarus wasn't mechanically sound but it doesn't show any cut corners. The ports of home console games (OOT, DKCR, Monster Hunter 3) aren't cut down and aren't inferior spinoffs.

It's not so much about the types of games you make (you can make FPSes on portables, no problem), it's about how seriously you take them. KZM feels like a second tier game, like they're reserving their A game for the PS4 game. AsCreed Liberation, CodBlops Declassified: Lower grade spinoffs.

aro52

Just got an email...

Capture.jpg

Fyi you can see the extra single player mission objectives by pressing up on the dpad, just found that out. Not sure if its in the manual or not but i didnt know about it, i had used select prior and even that i just figured out.

whos the genius who thought having a gun that shoots out grenades that explode on impact that fires in quick succession and can be used at any range in multiplayer was a good idea. Last couple matches people have been using this gun and it has accounted for a good majority of my deaths. I even thought of this being a problem before i actually ran into this problem. I was hoping no one would realize, well they did. Only way to kill them is to get them before they see you, if they get off one shot your dead. Then their the fact that they only have to hold down shoot to power it up so when they see someone they dont have to wait for the time delay. Thing needs to explode like a cooked grenade on them after a few seconds or overheat.

Shotguns and those mines are nothing in comparison. At least those have weaknesses, like you can hear the mine, and shotgun is useless at long range although its range is still to good imo.

That weapon is way OP. I didnt even know the gun existed until I got so much deaths from Merc Warfare. Although, when you're on the team with with the guy using it, its pretty useful. Still OP, needs patching, GC.

The merc stuff has only limited impact on the game since it's mostly sidegrades (so once you've got favorites you don't need any more money) and there's not much of a "must earn money" feeling like in, say, Payday 2.

I don't know how many people will use the alternate objectives except out of desperation to squeeze a little more out of the game, the list of tasks never looks like it would be fun to deal with and the looooong missions aren't conducive to simply trying stuff out. Also in my case about half or more require gear that I haven't unlocked yet so I'd need to grind some money to play them.

Portability is great and all but "it's good for a portable game" is still a backhanded compliment. There's no reason except budgeting and business priorities why this can't be a game on par with any home game (except the graphics of course but those don't matter so much). We know that FPSes can be better than this because we've seen it on other systems. There are portable games that are great - full stop. Games that are all that they can be and can successfully compete with home games for your game time.

KZM is more like a Game Boy era spinoff, a game like Super Mario Land that pales in comparison to its home console brethren and is sold primarily on the premise that you can play it on the go, unlike other games like it. Many Vita games fall into that trap, inferior versions of home console games. Basically tie-ins that only sell on the brand name of the home console version and don't get the full resources of their publisher.

Compare that to how Nintendo runs the 3DS. Animal Crossing draws people away from the TV. Fire Emblem. Super Mario 3D Land is considered by some to be better than Galaxy 2 (others disagree but it's already remarkable that there's even a contest!). Mario Kart is Mario Kart. Kid Icarus wasn't mechanically sound but it doesn't show any cut corners. The ports of home console games (OOT, DKCR, Monster Hunter 3) aren't cut down and aren't inferior spinoffs.

It's not so much about the types of games you make (you can make FPSes on portables, no problem), it's about how seriously you take them. KZM feels like a second tier game, like they're reserving their A game for the PS4 game. AsCreed Liberation, CodBlops Declassified: Lower grade spinoffs.

I can say I agree with you about Mercenary not being quite up to par with most full budget AAA console games, but the 3DS titles you mentioned are even lower budget than Killzone.

Ocarina of Time, my favorite game, mind you, is a port of an N64 game; DKCR is a 2.5D platformer that likely did not have a very large budget, considering the game's scale and amount of content included; Monster Hunter, well, is primarily a portable franchise that began its life on the PS2, but soon found success on the PSP; and Animal Crossing saw two modified iterations of the original N64 Animal Forest, on Wii, and two revisions to the formula on handhelds, none of which ever felt like console games in any way.

Many an argument can be made for why 3DS is an excellent machine with wonderful games, and that it features experiences not found on Vita, but the argument that it is home to more console quality experiences is probably not the strongest.

CLEEK

I don't usually complain about game length, but god damn this campaign in this is short. I clocked the game in 4 days, just on my daily commute. I think I've been spoiled by the recent 3DS games like FE and M&L that have been massive time sinks

omg_mjd

It's not so much about the types of games you make (you can make FPSes on portables, no problem), it's about how seriously you take them. KZM feels like a second tier game, like they're reserving their A game for the PS4 game.

No, the differences between KZ on PS3/PS4 and Vita are due to hardware capabilities. No amount of effort, budget or talent is going to eliminate that gap. To suggest that GG didn't take the game "seriously" is inaccurate.

KZ:M is different from the console versions but again those games are running on a different platform altogether. It's apples and oranges until the day you can show me a handheld device that plays PS3 or PS4 games natively.

Rnr1224

Feel free to add me! PSN: rnr1224!

I just beat the campaign and overall I found it enjoyable. Now onto multiplayer! Also has anyone managed to platinum this yet? I can tell the covert mission contracts are going to give me some trouble already

Vaderbane

Neo Member
Just to add some credibility to my claims and before someone says I just suck:
2013-09-05-1529203hb8c.jpg

2013-09-05-154428r4szh.jpg

2013-09-05-15444089scn.jpg

I started at 1:00 AM and finished at 7:20 AM.
I posted some impressions on gaf and did take a pause of ~30 minutes.
This doesn't add up.

The in-game clock for time taken to complete each mission, is based on a couple of things...1) only time actually playing, and not in the pause menu, shop or front end is added...and 2) each time you die it resets to the last checkpoint. Time is measured in this way to help us monitor times for the time challenge contracts, but it does mean that anyone looking at that stat as a guide on how long it took them to play the game will probably woefully underestimate how long it really took them!

Sorry for the delay in responding to this issue - it took me a while to get verified to post on here.

Mark Green, Senior Producer, Guerrilla Cambridge.

The in-game clock for time taken to complete each mission, is based on a couple of things...1) only time actually playing, and not in the pause menu, shop or front end is added...and 2) each time you die it resets to the last checkpoint. Time is measured in this way to help us monitor times for the time challenge contracts, but it does mean that anyone looking at that stat as a guide on how long it took them to play the game will probably woefully underestimate how long it really took them!

Sorry for the delay in responding to this issue - it took me a while to get verified to post on here.

Thank you for this clarification!

The game is brilliant! With Mercenary being my first Killzone experience; I'm eagerly anticipating Shadowfall on PS4, as well.

I truly, truly hope KZ:M is profitable; profitable enough that we could eventually see multiplayer maps/modes or campaign mission DLC.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

So awesome to see you posting here! Mercenary is an amazing accomplishment so thanks a lot to you and the team for all your hard work.

OmegaZero

For anyone having trouble with explosives, use Blast Armor.
It can take three porcupine rockets where they would usually be an instant kill.

I've always been a fan of the narrative and lore of the Killzone series and having just finished Mercenary, I can say I absolutely loved the SP campaign. It was lengthy, decently acted and beautiful...

But man, poor Helghans...it was so refreshing to
get to take out some ISA. Specifically because I'm still furious we don't get to throw Rico into a fucking blender for what he did in KZ2.
[

My expectations were exceed and it was one hell of ride! GG Guerrilla Cambridge!

FeD.nL

I'm so addicted to this game. The way it's structured, it plays, everything is just perfect for the device it's on. I love replaying the missions, everytime I discover something new. And then the multiplayer, it's amazing. GG Cambridge delivered in the best way possible!

Cudder

You guys have made an amazing game, absolutely my favorite Vita game so far. Congrats to the team.

I got that tranq trophy. Me and this dude both tranqed each other coming around a corner in Interrogation and no one came by to kill/rescue us. I think this has convinced me to go for the platinum.

Today was the first time I couldn't get a full game of Warzone. I wonder if it's GTA V related.

Binabik15

Hi there.

Now that you're here, I have a question: Is the checkpoint stuff in the challenge missions working as intended or not?

Example: I have to shoot down 8 drones using VanGuard, but I only have one porcupine missile left, so I shoot down the three others in frustration, thinking that the game would fail me (since it always failed me immediately when spotted during stealth required parts), but no, it saves the checkpoint and makes me continue to the other four drones, which I can shoot down and get tot the end of the mission, but immediatly fail. "Restart checkpoint" of course sets me back to when I already had destroyed three drones without VanGuard, making it impossible to actually finish.

That is one of several times where I had the game saving and THEN fail me on some part of the assignment.

If this is not as intended, please fix it before someone throws a Vita.

If it is, being a challenge and all, why not have the mission auto fail and only give the option to "restart mission" instead of letting us choose "restart checkpoint" and fail, fail, fail.

I hope we get another Vita game from you guys, KZ:M is great. Bought it for myself and a copy for my brother. I'm saying that without even being able to access the MP (I still can'T sign into PSN stuff with my Vita ;_; And I had such a blast with the beta, too).

Tygamr

Super Mario 3D Land is more of a 'Game Boy era portable spinoff' than this is. It really is cut down compared to the console games, and IMO, it's way overrated. Everyone says that every level is unique, but they really aren't- after the first few worlds, all the levels are just recycled variations on previous levels. You have a definite 3DS slant. Mario Kart is getting a Wii U installment that looks to blow the 3DS game out of the water (and I really don't care for Mario Kart much at all), and IMO 7 was one of the weakest entries in the series (due to poor tracks and characters). Also, comparing this to Assassin's Creed Liberation and CoDBlOps Declassified really is an insult to this game. It's the best FPS I've played in a while, and the quality of this is much higher than those.

nampad

Thank you for responding. I hope your team reconsiders displaying such a timer in future projects. Some bad press or word of mouth could have been easily averted.

Any info on when we will get a patch for the bugs?
Can we expect any ongoing support of the game with content or did most of the team already move on to a new project? I would like to see more MP maps, 6 just aren't enough for long term play. SP DLC would also be very nice and the mercenary theme is a good fit for it. More missions for the Helghans is what most of us seemingly want.

I really enjoyed your game, you all did a great job.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got all the way through mission 1 up to the tank, went in the store to buy a rocket launcher, go to exit and the game sits on the "updating loadout" screen for a few minutes then crashes. Awesome.

This will be the third time I've played through mission 1 thanks to no in-mission saving.

Ugh.

bLaiSe

Thanks for this awesome game! I hope we will see some DLC in the future whether it's SP or MP. ;)
Mind if I ask why isn't any of the devs engage with the community on the official forums? I know there are some dumb threads there but some kind of feedback would be nice. Even a comment like "Noted." would do...
Also is there a chance for Botzone?

ss_lemonade

I got kicked 2 times in a row already right in the middle of a game, both showing me a connection problem with matchmaking :(. Anyone know what's the deal?

Blinck

Just ordered this !
The impressions in this thread are really good and made me take the plunge to feel the power of the vita :D
Really enjoyed Killzone 2 so I think I'll enjoy this as well :D

Vaderbane

Neo Member
Thank you for responding. I hope your team reconsiders displaying such a timer in future projects. Some bad press or word of mouth could have been easily averted.

Any info on when we will get a patch for the bugs?
Can we expect any ongoing support of the game with content or did most of the team already move on to a new project? I would like to see more MP maps, 6 just aren't enough for long term play. SP DLC would also be very nice and the mercenary theme is a good fit for it. More missions for the Helghans is what most of us seemingly want.

I really enjoyed your game, you all did a great job.

Yes, I think you can safely say that we've learnt our lesson and the timer issue will not be repeated!

We're working on another patch at the moment. A few annoying niggles mean it's taking longer than we'd hoped but there is at least one more patch on the way, probably two. Unfortunately this has meant that our hopes for any additional support have also taken a hit and I can't say for certain at the moment if/when you'll see anything beyond the patches.

Thanks to everyone who said they're enjoying the game, it really is appreciated.

Vaderbane

Neo Member
Thanks for this awesome game! I hope we will see some DLC in the future whether it's SP or MP. ;)
Mind if I ask why isn't any of the devs engage with the community on the official forums? I know there are some dumb threads there but some kind of feedback would be nice. Even a comment like "Noted." would do...
Also is there a chance for Botzone?

It's actually pretty difficult to respond to some posts and not to others - and no doubt I'll get slapped for making that choice here - but we're absolutely keeping an eye on the forums and making notes. We're always very grateful when people take the time out to post their thoughts, suggestions and recommendations.

You'll not be too surprised to hear that we've made a list of things we'd like to change, and a list of things that have been requested on the forums. Botzone is on both lists but because we had to do some things differently from KZ3, there are a number of technical issues that we'd need to address before being able to add it. The jury's out on whether we'll be able to include it as a feature.

Spiegel

Game is amazing Mark.
Not that surprising though, LBP PSP was the best LBP game (until LBPVita). You guys are really something.

I hope the sales are good.

$h@d0w

Vaderbane / Mark

I don't have a wishlist or any questions, just wanted to say I'm enjoying the game a lot!

I'd like to personally thank you for making the game and it's awesome that you're directly talking to fans in your own time here.

Vaderbane / Mark

I don't have a wishlist or any questions, just wanted to say I'm enjoying the game a lot!

I'd like to personally thank you for making the game and it's awesome that you're directly talking to fans in your own time here.

I'll echo this, cheers!

The game is beast!

Visually stunning; hopefully what your team pioneered, sets a benchmark for various Sony Vita projects

bLaiSe

It's actually pretty difficult to respond to some posts and not to others - and no doubt I'll get slapped for making that choice here - but we're absolutely keeping an eye on the forums and making notes. We're always very grateful when people take the time out to post their thoughts, suggestions and recommendations.

You'll not be too surprised to hear that we've made a list of things we'd like to change, and a list of things that have been requested on the forums. Botzone is on both lists but because we had to do some things differently from KZ3, there are a number of technical issues that we'd need to address before being able to add it. The jury's out on whether we'll be able to include it as a feature.

Thanks for the response Mark, I really appreciate it. I stopped posting bug reports/suggestions on the official forums because I felt that no one is reading them but it's good to hear that someone actually does.
On the other hand reading your post above about future support made me really sad. Still hoping for some new maps though.

RoeBear

I've come to love the tranq gun for MP. If you hit someone they're down, then easy interrogation. I really wish there was a quit option before the two loading screens in multiplayer. Only need a few more trophies until the platinum, then the long road to getting all the medals. This game is just too good.

Top Bottom