• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
This game reminds me of Crysis 1, without the powers. I'm having such a fun time playing with the enemies and picking them off one by one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it possible to miss objectives in contracts and not have the game immediately fail you? Just trying my first one - first stealth mission. I got 7/8 cameras but when I go into the room with the admiral it fails me, saying I missed a camera. There are none in my immediate area if I do a 'restart checkpoint', so is it possible I missed one earlier and have to redo the whole thing?

Grisby

you can also
seal her in the vault - which she doesn't appreciate much ;)
Lol, that is pretty neat.
Is it possible to miss objectives in contracts and not have the game immediately fail you? Just trying my first one - first stealth mission. I got 7/8 cameras but when I go into the room with the admiral it fails me, saying I missed a camera. There are none in my immediate area if I do a 'restart checkpoint', so is it possible I missed one earlier and have to redo the whole thing?
Yeah, you missed one I suppose. I was doing a demolition one and forgot to get a multi kill. Got to the end of the mission and it failed me. I was so pissed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it means, "why would people buy Vitas to play this when they can play Killzone, or Call of Duty or Halo or Titanfall or Destiny or [insert other shooter here] on a home console, where you'll get better graphics and multiplayer?" I don't know about Europe (where Edge is located) but North America seems to need a better reason to play portable games than just "you can take it with you."

I mean, obviously I don't agree personally, since I just spent an hour on the subway playing glorious Killzone, but I assume that's what Edge--and a lot of other people--are thinking.

It's odd because on that basis you'd slate every Nintendo published 3DS game that has an equivalent on wii or wiiU (so mario kart, NSMB, zelda etc).yet for some reason Nintendo get a pass

Mario kart on 3DS and wii = great; uncharted/killzone on vita and PS3 = why bother?

I don't even play my portable games on the train/bus, I mostly play at home. I just like the privacy it offers in a busy household.

Just finished up all of the main contracts last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit and was actually surprised with the amount of stealth options/bonuses. This is my first Killzone game, so I wasn't aware of that aspect (unless it's new to the series).

I had no problems with the controls, and it's definitely the best portable shooter I've played. My only complaints would more so be on the story side, everything's fairly predictable, and any twists are really questionable from a character motivation standpoint. Otherwise, a really solid game, and I hope I get some time to dig into the mulitplayer and the additional contracts sometime down the road.

Phii

Banned
OK, so I don't really know how this happened. Basically the game glitched out during the mission
"Justice For All"
(somehow Danner didn't have any guns equipped but I could clearly see his fists and arms (it seemed to be an unique model, I checked if there was any kind of attacks but nothing)),
and after me and Inanov infiltrated the Halls of Justice, the game replayed the beginning of that glide sequence till you break the window, then the cutscene just stopped and the game jumped back to my character at Halls of Justice.
After that I sure was confused but I figured if that replayed cutscene actually continued behind the scenes, and yeah it did, and just look at Danner:

2013_09_15_113502.jpg

Maybe this is why Danner is very quiet.
Funny glitch though, I'll capture some pictures of the fists next time this triggers.

It's odd because on that basis you'd slate every Nintendo published 3DS game that has an equivalent on wii or wiiU (so mario kart, NSMB, zelda etc).yet for some reason Nintendo get a pass

Mario kart on 3DS and wii = great; uncharted/killzone on vita and PS3 = why bother?

I don't even play my portable games on the train/bus, I mostly play at home. I just like the privacy it offers in a busy household.

Great post!

Cha

(somehow Danner didn't have any guns equipped but I could clearly see his fists and arms (it seemed to be an unique model, I checked if there was any kind of attacks but nothing).

I've seen the fists of Danner in the same place on my first playthrough too. Thought I was gonna get into a fist fight (which would have been awesome!) but it went back to normal after about 2 seconds. Didn't experience the rest of your glitch though. I guess the double fist model is used when interrogating people

I've been using the Arms Dealer crates as pseudo-checkpoints, as suggested in this thread, and for the most part it's great. It didn't work out so hot, though, during the seventh mission, when
at the very end you have to lower the bridge to escape, and just as that bridge finally lowers into place, three Exos storm your position at once.
DO NOT REACH FOR THE GODDAMNED ARMS DEALER AT THIS POINT or you will die over and over until you figure out exactly the right timing to make a bolt for the door.

Reminded me of some of the really awful checkpoints at the end of Metro 2033, except this one was partially my fault. Game could really use a "Restart from last actual checkpoint" option instead of making me replay a full hour-long mission, though.

nampad

I've been using the Arms Dealer crates as pseudo-checkpoints, as suggested in this thread, and for the most part it's great. It didn't work out so hot, though, during the seventh mission, when
at the very end you have to lower the bridge to escape, and just as that bridge finally lowers into place, three Exos storm your position at once.
DO NOT REACH FOR THE GODDAMNED ARMS DEALER AT THIS POINT or you will die over and over until you figure out exactly the right timing to make a bolt for the door.

Reminded me of some of the really awful checkpoints at the end of Metro 2033, except this one was partially my fault. Game could really use a "Restart from last actual checkpoint" option instead of making me replay a full hour-long mission, though.

I actually abused the arms dealer at exactly this spot to skyfury every enemy, no problems with checkpoints.

Cha

Last level? spoilers
I am having extreme difficulty killing Benot

Can tell you how I did it, but I'm sure there's a much better, less cowardly way :p
RUN! Run like crazy. Once you've got some distance between him, shoot him and those fuel cells that appear (blasts away the other dudes). Get behind cover to recover if you've taken too many shots. When he rushes you, just run for it again.

I died so many times at this part. Absolutely hated this part of the game.

Ovek

7Member7
Last level? spoilers
I am having extreme difficulty killing Benot

Blow up the energy core things that pop up and lay into him with that vanguard shoulder rocket launcher, apparently you can also stab him when he's dazed but I have never got to him in time. Remember to use the weapon locker - just drop in and out as it quick saves every time you use it.

Can tell you how I did it, but I'm sure there's a much better, less cowardly way :p
RUN! Run like crazy. Once you've got some distance between him, shoot him and those fuel cells that appear (blasts away the other dudes). Get behind cover to recover if you've taken too many shots. When he rushes you, just run for it again.

I died so many times at this part. Absolutely hated this part of the game.

Blow up the energy core things that pop up and lay into him with that vanguard shoulder rocket launcher, apparently you can also stab him when he's dazed but I have never got to him in time. Remember to use the weapon locker - just drop in and out as it quick saves every time you use it.

Use the M80 to kill the final boss.

Use the arms dealer crate to create checkpoints in the middle of the battle.

I ended up getting flash grenades and stunning him three times. Each time I went up behind him and did a melee. It worked. I didn't know about the checkpoint thing with the crates.

anddo0

Doing precision missions sucks. The time limit, plus you're forced to watch cut-scenes over again, it's a real drag. Nothing like coming a few secs short on 15-min mission, only to have to repeat the entire thing.

Doing precision missions sucks. The time limit, plus you're forced to watch cut-scenes over again, it's a real drag. Nothing like coming a few secs short on 15-min mission, only to have to repeat the entire thing.
I did the second one in exactly 15 minutes. The end was a pain because for some reason he stops running.

anddo0

I did the second one in exactly 15 minutes. The end was a pain because for some reason he stops running.

I just beat with 2 minutes on the clock. Anyone who does these missions on a difficulty other than recruit is MLG... The precision and demo mission require run and gun.

So im trying to do the demolition on mission one, and can only find 2 crates. I went through twice and it only showed 2 crates where is the third. I fail the mission at some point and cant move forward yet it does show on the map nor have i seen it.

DirtyLarry

I was having no luck at all connecting to MP matches. I just could not connect successfully. I just kept getting the connection lost message, etc.

After assigning my Vita a static IP, first port forwarding (have done that numerous times), then port triggering (learned something new today), I was still having no luck at all.

Finally I added my Vita has the DMZ'd device on my router, and I can now connect no issues at all.

Never had these types of issues with Resistance or COD MP on the Vita, Rayman Legends contacts the UBISOFT servers no issues, etc. I cannot help but feel this is a flaw with the game itself. I can easily change the DMZ on my router so it is not the end of the world, but it would be nice if it was fixed sooner rather than later.

nampad

One in the room you rapel too and one right before in a room next to a soldier you can release.

There is a door on the left in the room you rapel to. You may need to open the door with a switch right above it (not sure if it is only for the prison cell path or for both doors).

If I were to play the conventional GOTY listing game, my shortlist for the FPS genre would be the following:

- Metro Last Light
- Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
- Killzone: Mercenary

Amazing stuff.

As someone who
despises biological warfare, it was immensely satisfying to beat the shit out of Grey. If only I could have done the same to Kratek.

I found it somewhat off-putting that a lot of the marketing for this game played up the whole "mercenaries have no allegiance" element when right from the start it's made clear that none of the main mercs take contracts from the Helghast and the only time you work with them is because you got screwed by Benoit/the ISA.

Also, dammit Boris, why did you have to die? I thought I was doing something wrong when that happened, but apparently its just that being even slightly likeable in a Killzone game is a mark of death.

Anyway, I'm loving this game (looking into completing all the contracts on Veteran right now), but I don't know if I'll be playing this much once Shadow Fall comes out.

krioto

I'm a little tired of the quick-scoping that's starting to creep into MP - played 3 games last night - all the other team were quick-scoping - got a little tedious in 1v1 situations when you're pumping them full of bullets to get killed by a leg shot

I'm a little tired of the quick-scoping that's starting to creep into MP - played 3 games last night - all the other team were quick-scoping - got a little tedious in 1v1 situations when you're pumping them full of bullets to get killed by a leg shot
I'm getting a little sick of those proximity mines myself.

I'm getting a little sick of those proximity mines myself.

Proximity mines are the scourge of all MP shooters. I rarely use them; and when I do, I use them more or less as grenades, which is somewhat effective. I guess I'm just inherently not a douche :).

Sidenote: Went about 50-25 with nearly 60 points last night in a Warzone game... We still lost. Team pls.

I just finished Killzone 2 tonight and about to start 3. Why are people so down on 3?

In a nutshell, the 'douchebro' factor is turned all the way up to 11 comparatively and the changes made to MP are more or less all detrimental to the flow/uniqueness of the KZ's once glorious Warzone mode.

Then there's the contentious "fixing" of the controls.

It was just a lesser iteration that showed a developer not 100% confident in its vision.

That being said, it's still a Killzone game and it still plays and looks wonderful. KZ2 was just that amazing, is all.

Massa

I just finished Killzone 2 tonight and about to start 3. Why are people so down on 3?

Killzone 3 is a great game. The levels are more open and varied, the art style has more color and is less gritty, the controls are more responsive.

People generally disliked the art style change, the reduced recoil in the controls, the story telling is detached from what you play, the map design for the original maps were terrible (fixed in the DLC maps though), the multiplayer lacked clan support and custom server browser for ranked games.

Basically, in trying to fix the problems some people had with Killzone 2 the end result was a less unique game that didn't feel as inspired as the second one, and the multiplayer was a big letdown with some changes that weren't exactly polished and balanced.

There is a door on the left in the room you rapel to. You may need to open the door with a switch right above it (not sure if it is only for the prison cell path or for both doors).
Ah thanks, it wasnt in radar range till i got to it. I thought i may have had a weird glitch that it just didnt load in the scene or something. Thanks

In a nutshell, the 'douchebro' factor is turned all the way up to 11 comparatively and the changes made to MP are more or less all detrimental to the flow/uniqueness of the KZ's once glorious Warzone mode.

Then there's the contentious "fixing" of the controls.

It was just a lesser iteration that showed a developer not 100% confident in its vision.

That being said, it's still a Killzone game and it still plays and looks wonderful. KZ2 was just that amazing, is all.

Well said man!

nampad

Proximity mines are the scourge of all MP shooters. I rarely use them; and when I do, I use them more or less as grenades, which is somewhat effective. I guess I'm just inherently not a douche :).

Sidenote: Went about 50-25 with nearly 60 points last night in a Warzone game... We still lost. Team pls.

Sorry, but this is even douchier and totally lame. It's an instant kill most of the time without need for good aim or timing like cooking a grenade.
Not saying I don't do it from time to time though.This is why I hate things like proximity mines or noobtubes, everyone adapts in the end.

Massa

Sorry, but this is even douchier and totally lame. It's an instant kill most of the time without need for good aim or timing like cooking a grenade.
Not saying I don't do it from time to time though.This is why I hate things like proximity mines or noobtubes, everyone adapts in the end.

Throwing a proximity mine is quite slow though, it's no more cheap than using a shotgun imo.

Anyone get a Gears of War 1 vibe in Killzone:Mercenary, with 4v4 battles and a strong emphasis on melee combat?

Also, I wish Guerrilla Cambridge would release a team balance patch, because as it is right now, the game never balances teams once a match starts, which can lead to some very dull 4v1 shooting galleries.

kubricks

Edit: Getting used to controls comes with time really kubricks. FPS games on home consoles are actually easier thanks to the larger sticks so it's even harder to adjust to a Vita FPS but eventually you'll get the hang of it. I mostly play on PC but also play on consoles and the Vita and it's just something that comes with time. Sensitivities totally depend on the person though. I usually turn mine up but didn't do it as much with this game due to the sticks, but I turned up the gyro aiming to max to help me out. If you haven't checked that out, definitely try it because the gyro aiming can help with the precise shots and it was a big feature for me in Uncharted on the Vita as well. Now I use sticks for the normal quick movement but then refine my aim with the motion aiming. It's definitely a nice feature for a handheld game where it's harder to use the sticks precisely.

Thanks, I gave it another few hours and now everything clicks! I dial down the input sensitivity a whole lot and it worked for me, still can't hit the precision I had on mouse + keyboard (for now) but this is not bad at all!

By the way, what is the Van-Guard items used for? Is it activated once I purchase it from the dealer?

i always use claymores or mines in MP if its a "free equipment" slot without sacrificing other weapons/useful equipment.

you are pretty much guaranteed a kill with one each life since people just run around mindlessly in public deathmatch games. Just drop one near a doorway and go about your normal business.

i want to win you know :D all dirty tactics are valid.

Top Bottom