• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Mezoly

Eh, I thought The Last Guardian topic made for a good discussion even with Greg and Colin hardly playing any of it. Of course, it wouldn't have worked well without Tim. I thought it was overall a good listen.
I thought it was a good listen mainly due to Tim's review and Greg early game impression. I just think the last 5 minutes of the topic went off rails and was nonsensical and became about how review scores don't match Colin perceived quality of the games.

I also didn't mind they used review in the title because Tim was reviewing it.

ST2K

People will mention Horizon, when Horizon comes out Colin will play it for 2 hours and say it has too many side quests.

Hahaha, yeah, I can totally see this. But I expect he'll retain a positive impression of the game regardless.

Greg's such a nice guy and so respectful of other people's opinions.

lDhDTtA.png

Mezoly

lDhDTtA.png

Why is this guy tweeting Naughty dog and Greg and trolling in the first place?

And yeah Greg probably should've not responded. They have started to throw away respect other people opinion recently. Colin saying people will spend the next 2 years to convince themselves that FF15 is good is one example, although I think he is half joking when he said that. Every time TLG is mentioned you could see Greg is visibly upset I've never seen him be mad at a game before like that. It must piss him when some outlet already started giving it GOTY.

brawly

That TLG talk was fucking awful. Sometimes I wish Tim just made his own videos, since he's the only one who seems to play new releases.

There's something dodgy I've found with their podcast video editing, in that the outro on their Gamescast and GoG episodes is quite jarring. Not sure if anyone else feels that way, but it's not, smooth...? IDK.

Not that I thought Colin's scripted reading skills are bad, but Tim freaking kills it with that kind of thing. He's a natural. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlTZMo6hIik

Speaking of Tim killing it, he raised some quite remarkable points on their Game Awards topic today. He's knocking it out of the park IMO. I also think Colin raises some good points about criticism being valid so long as it's not personal. I can't necessarily sympathise with that personally, but it's definitely a position I wouldn't want to be in. It's not something necessarily exclusive on GAF, and it's definitely better here, but on sites like Twitter, people can be so malicious and mean spirited with their opinions that their criticism doesn't become constructive anymore.

lDhDTtA.png

Oh, c'mon, talk about cherry picking man :p

Seriously though, it's not as if much effort was put in the guys tweet in the first place. It's a clear trolling rebuttal to Greg's comments that TLG just isn't for him.

Tim honestly has more knowledge on video games in 2016 than both Colin and Greg. He carries the Gamescast now.

Again, c'mon dude, that's just revisionist history :p. Just because Greg or Colin never played enough of TLG, or cared about it, it doesn't mean they don't necessarily have knowledge on VGs released this year. You can just see how many games they've all played this year and the topics they've discussed about.

Yeah, perhaps there have been a few blights in regards to their knowledge (such as the PS4 Pro 'debacle' -- which was blown out of proportion to begin with), but don't you think what you're saying is pure hyperbole?

That TLG talk was fucking awful. Sometimes I wish Tim just made his own videos, since he's the only one who seems to play new releases.

You see, I respectfully disagree. Yes it's true they may have not liked TLG and so never finished it, but that's not really an issue since the game just isn't for them, and I don't really see why they should force themselves to finish a game they don't like just for the sake of pleasing a crowd that can go and watch other reviews that do like it. I think Greg touches upon that point in the video.

It's not like in the IGN days where they're journalists and have to finish a game for a review, even one they don't like. Here they have so much more autonomy on what they want to play due to the nature of their business and that's fine -- some people aren't going to like that, and so the rational and logical thing would be to find personalities or reviewers who speak to them for those types of games.

He really can't stand the fact they both didn't fail like he foretold. #colinwaswrong :)

LOL.

To be fair, he did say that at worst, FFXV was going to be good, and that he wanted both games to be great. TLG just isn't for him.

I also think Colin raises some good points about criticism being valid so long as it's not personal.

Another issue is when someone has a half-remembrance (or a straight up confusion of people in a story) and presents it as a truth to people who are too lazy to verify what the person said was at all accurate. Like last week, after the PSX Panel, where Jaffe had his Kyle Bosman rant, someone posted here and in the EZA thread that the reason they didn't stop Jaffe's rant was because they "still have a grudge against Kyle". What's this so-called "grudge"? On the Gamescast last year, Tim brought up mention of a Final Bosman where Kyle made fun of the Kinda Funny name. Greg and Colin, who do not consume other video game coverage (so were unfamiliar with the bit), said they said that didn't seem nice. End of story. Somehow, this ballooned into a grudge held against Kyle. I bet if you asked Colin and Greg about that moment on the Gamescast, they would not remember it at all. Yet, this is one of those "truths" now about Kinda Funny. When that was posted over there, a lot of people responded by saying they never want to see EZA and Kinda Funny collaborate again, all because someone made something out of nothing. I would love nothing more than having Kyle show up and the Gamescast or GOG.

Karu

Speaking of Tim killing it, he raised some quite remarkable points on their Game Awards topic today. He's knocking it out of the park IMO. I also think Colin raises some good points about criticism being valid so long as it's not personal. I can't necessarily sympathise with that personally, but it's definitely a position I wouldn't want to be in. It's not something necessarily exclusive on GAF, and it's definitely better here, but on sites like Twitter, people can be quick malicious and mean spirited with their opinions that their criticism doesn't become constructive anymore.
Watching the video right now and I am at the 12 minute mark and it was so obvious that I stopped to come here, happy to have it already mentioned. That 38 minute segment could basically end there. Tim's on fire and nailing it bit by bit. Always been an early critic of not only him, but also the Gamescast in itself (which to be fair, I still very much am), but he became the MVP of that show. I think that has partly something to do with Colin/Greg burning out on a lot of other games related shows, but make no mistake - the most important reason is - Tim's the reasonable, "looking at a topic from different perspectives"-guy now, at least most reliably. That's an impressive development.

And I mentioned this in the EZA-GotY topic, but... the community-fighting no matter who's involved is incredibly childish and petty. Roll your eyes and ignore it. Either they grow up or they don't Not much "we" can do about that.

Watching the video right now and I am at the 12 minute mark and it was so obvious that I stopped to come here, happy to have it already mentioned. That 38 minute segment could basically end there. Tim's on fire and nailing it bit by bit. Always been an early critic of not only him, but also the Gamescast in itself (which to be fair, I still very much am), but he became the MVP of that show. I think that has partly something to do with Colin/Greg burning out on a lot of other games related shows, but make no mistake - the most important reason is - Tim's the reasonable, "looking at a topic from different perspectives"-guy now, at least most reliably. That's an impressive development.

Definitely. That's what I'm feeling as well. Some great development on his part.

Another issue is when someone has a half-remembrance (or a straight up confusion of people in a story) and presents it as a truth to people who are too lazy to verify what the person said was at all accurate. Like last week, after the PSX Panel, where Jaffe had his Kyle Bosman rant, someone posted here and in the EZA thread that the reason they didn't stop Jaffe's rant was because they "still have a grudge against Kyle". What's this so-called "grudge"? On the Gamescast last year, Tim brought up mention of a Final Bosman where Kyle made fun of the Kinda Funny name. Greg and Colin, who do not consume other video game coverage (so were unfamiliar with the bit), said they said that didn't seem nice. End of story. Somehow, this ballooned into a grudge held against Kyle. I bet if you asked Colin and Greg about that moment on the Gamescast, they would not remember it at all. Yet, this is one of those "truths" now about Kinda Funny. When that was posted over there, a lot of people responded by saying they never want to see EZA and Kinda Funny collaborate again, all because someone made something out of nothing. I would love nothing more than having Kyle show up and the Gamescast or GOG.

Yep. Half-truths without any verification can be the worst, as that is how misinformation spreads so easily.

Colin implying the critical scores for The Last Guardian and FFXV are wrong and equivalent them to fake news is one of the worst things he ever said. Because these score didn't match his pre conceived perceptions of those game, when he only played FFXV for 2 hours and the The Last Guardian for 1 hour. Even Tim laughed at that notion. He is completely going on the deep end for me. The only reason I still watch is Tim.

Even most of the YT-section seem to agree. I hope he reads all that and takes it in, haha.

Yeah for sure, I've noticed it on YT which is even more surprising as it tends to be the opposite. And yeah aha, hope he sees the positive feedback.

Colin implying the critical scores for The Last Guardian and FFXV are wrong and equivalent them to fake news is one of the worst things he ever said. Because these score didn't match his pre conceived perceptions of those game, when he only played FFXV for 2 hours and the The Last Guardian for 1 hour. Even Tim laughed at that notion. He is completely going on the deep end for me. The only reason I still watch is Tim.

To be fair, he did entertain the idea that perhaps the scores were artificially better OR lower due to the expectations. He didn't say they're wrong, but just wondered due to the special nature of these games, whether the scores were for better or worse.

Given their lengthy history and publicized development process, the scores for XV and TLG will always have a unique set of outside factors weighing on them. I think you could actually make the same argument with the way MGSV was reviewed in terms of the Kojima-Konami debacle.

I don't think that it's unfair to point out how reviewers' perceptions of real life events may color their review process.

My apologies as I'm sure this has been asked a bunch before but if you're a Patreon subscriber, by what method do you get access to the exclusive show and the early episodes? Can you get them through iTunes? And not important but I'm still curious - what happens when you get the early release and then the 'regular' release comes out a week later? You have two episodes sitting on your phone?

arkon

My apologies as I'm sure this has been asked a bunch before but if you're a Patreon subscriber, by what method do you get access to the exclusive show and the early episodes? Can you get them through iTunes? And not important but I'm still curious - what happens when you get the early release and then the 'regular' release comes out a week later? You have two episodes sitting on your phone?
Soundcloud links for audio and youtube links for video. Can't answer your other question unfortunately as I don't use itunes.

sora87

Tim honestly has more knowledge on video games in 2016 than both Colin and Greg. He carries the Gamescast now.

Yeah, Tim, Nick and Kevin are the reason I keep watching KF stuff lately, Tim's come on leaps and bounds and Nick is just funny as fuck. Kevin is funny but also chimes in with some interesting insight to things so that's cool. Best C&G Live is when it's Tim and Nick instead lol.

Yeah, Tim, Nick and Kevin are the reason I keep watching KF stuff lately, Tim's come on leaps and bounds and Nick is just funny as fuck. Kevin is funny but also chimes in with some interesting insight to things so that's cool. Best C&G Live is when it's Tim and Nick instead lol.

I sort of agree, but I think it's only because of how rare a Tim/Nick C&GL is and how different of a show it is when they both host (I still love the normal C&GL). If it was every day, it might lose that magic. I am glad they no longer use that Top Gun clip. That just took up way to much time.

ghornett

Neo Member
I think it would be cool to try alternating shows every other day. Having C&L Live one day then Internet Explorers the next. I think it would keep the content interesting and also not wear out the guys. Plus it's obvious that they cover totally different topics and to an extent audiences. External guests for the daily shows could be interesting as well.
I'm excited to see what the new year brings for KF.

Just wanna chime in and say Tim has been doing great lately. While I know Colin and Greg haven't been finishing or playing every new release, and I know they dont need to, it definitely feels like it limits their perspective and ability to discuss the games.

I feel whenever Tim talks I'm really able to enjoy and get something deeper out of the conversation beyond the extremely surface level talk that so often makes up PS I Love You these days.

ST2K

Again, c'mon dude, that's just revisionist history :p. Just because Greg or Colin never played enough of TLG, or cared about it, it doesn't mean they don't necessarily have knowledge on VGs released this year. You can just see how many games they've all played this year and the topics they've discussed about.

I mean, yeah, they have played lots of games this year. But neither of them really got into some of the biggest releases this year seemingly because of pre-conceived notions (TLG, FFXV, Overwatch), it seemed like Colin just stopped finishing games and played a bunch of mobile games ported to Vita all year and his perspective and commentary was limited as a result, and since they've stopped working at IGN none of them seem to step outside of their comfort zone when it comes to gaming at all. If Greg had a similar attitude to playing games now that he had at IGN, for example, he probably would've never played and enjoyed Yakuza or Monster Hunter. Everyone understands the notion of not being forced to play games you don't want to, but they live in a reality where their job is to comment on the games scene in its totality. You don't have to play everything, but you probably ought to try to spread your wings a little bit. You just have to strike a balance or at least attempt to do so. And you definitely shouldn't lecture people about being "up a game's ass" when you put any more than 20-30 hours into a game. That's your main audience, and plenty of games are simply designed around that notion.

To be fair, he did say that at worst, FFXV was going to be good, and that he wanted both games to be great.

Yes, he did. Usually right after saying some variant of:

- Nobody wants to play as a boy band.
- Some statements implying the game isn't a "real" Final Fantasy game.
- Getting mad at Tabata for pointing out that's a tenuous position to take.
- Wishing the game was different.
- Demanding Square Enix shit the game out and move on.

I'm not saying he just made the statement "FFXV is going to be good" to cover himself and to make himself appear more generous to the game than he actually was, but based off literally every other statement he had ever made about FFXV I don't know how he would arrive at that hope.

I say all of this 'cause I love the guys and have been following them for years, and I think they are just in a funk right now and no one there seems to acknowledge it or are taking actions to try to get out of it. It's a major bummer.

killroy87

I don't watch C&G Live much, but isn't a big portion of it just them reading news from other games sites?

sora87

I don't watch C&G Live much, but isn't a big portion of it just them reading news from other games sites?

Yes, and sometimes that is just it. I like it when they actually discuss it and delve into it with their own personal opinions but too often now Colin just reads the news piece and moves on after like one comment from himself. The best parts lately are actually the beginnings when they just shoot the shit and talk about random things.

Icolin

Banned
I think it would be cool to try alternating shows every other day. Having C&L Live one day then Internet Explorers the next. I think it would keep the content interesting and also not wear out the guys. Plus it's obvious that they cover totally different topics and to an extent audiences. External guests for the daily shows could be interesting as well.
I'm excited to see what the new year brings for KF.

This would be great.

I say all of this 'cause I love the guys and have been following them for years, and I think they are just in a funk right now and no one there seems to acknowledge it or are taking actions to try to get out of it. It's a major bummer.

You raise some valid points, and there are definitely parts that you're spot on in the first paragraph. In regards to them not acknowledging it, I think for them, their first priority is the Patreon crowd, so if they don't see a big enough shift/critique from that side of their fans, which is what their business relies on, then I don't think they're going to change much. Whether it's for better or worse, I'm sure if some of their loyal Patreons raised the issue, or if they saw their numbers drop, you'd see some change in the points you raise.

At least that's how I see it, if you get what I mean?

You raise some valid points, and there are definitely parts that you're spot on in the first paragraph. In regards to them not acknowledging it, I think for them, their first priority is the Patreon crowd, so if they don't see a big enough shift/critique from that side of their fans, which is what their business relies on, then I don't think they're going to change much. Whether it's for better or worse, I'm sure if some of their loyal Patreons raised the issue, or if they saw their numbers drop, you'd see some change in the points you raise.

At least that's how I see it, if you get what I mean?

It's the same with the PS4 Pro. They put up a poll to see if there was interest in them covering it. No was by far the least answered. Yes was second. Don't care was the winner. I am in that same boat. If they cover it, fine! If they don't, that's also fine! There are plenty of other sites I can go to to find coverage. And to be honest, many that I have checked out have not been super high on it all, mostly due to the Wild West of 4K (as well as issues with certain games). Most places I've seen, seem to agree 4K is not the real "big" thing this time around, but that HDR is and that really good HDR is still a ways away. On one of the podcasts I listen to (PSNation) interviewed Kazunori Yamauchi (creator of Gran Turismo) at PSX. He said they have support for HDR TVs that don't exist yet. It's something to do with the level of nits (the brightness level of HDR, I believe). When PS5 is out, I bet all this 4K/HDR stuff will be ironed out.

It's the same with the PS4 Pro. They put up a poll to see if there was interest in them covering it. No was by far the least answered. Yes was second. Don't care was the winner. I am in that same boat. If they cover it, fine! If they don't, that's also fine! There are plenty of other sites I can go to to find coverage. And to be honest, many that I have checked out have not been super high on it all, mostly due to the Wild West of 4K (as well as issues with certain games). Most places I've seen, seem to agree 4K is not the real "big" thing this time around, but that HDR is and that really good HDR is still a ways away. On one of the podcasts I listen to (PSNation) interviewed Kazunori Yamauchi (creator of Gran Turismo) at PSX. He said they have support for HDR TVs that don't exist yet. It's something to do with the level of nits (the brightness level of HDR, I believe). When PS5 is out, I bet all this 4K/HDR stuff will be ironed out.

Yup, that was the example I forgot to bring up in regards to their coverage of the PS4 Pro, since that was a point of contention on GAF and YouTube.

Definitely agree with your prediction on the 4K/HDR thing too. Interested to see how it pans out.

I feel like they would be better without Colin and Greg live tbh. Because of it they end up having to repeat the same talking points on their other shows and Greg in particular tends to slip into this "it's the the thing I've said on the other shows, you know what I mean?" kind of monotonous voice when giving his opinion.

Mezoly

Are we the complainers in the vocal minority as Greg put it or the discontent is on a much larger scale?
First let me say I still like the guys a lot and they are still the only personalities that I regulatory follow. I wouldn't post here or anywhere else if I didn't care and didn't want them to improve. Like Colin would say "you can criticize something that you love".

Back to my initial question, I was surprised Yesterday to see the top post on /r/ps4/ yesterday was a thread complaining about them. It got 400 upvotes before the mods deleted it. Reddit has always been very kind to C&G and very positive about them. They are always highly recommended in the recommend podcast threads. What even more surprising to me is the reaction thread in /r/Kindafunny about the /r/ps4 thread they were all agreeing and saying with constructive criticism some of the issues that they have.

Even the Facebook page has been more negative towards the content until Colin put them on a blast and people stopped sharing their opinion freely there because they don't want to look "toxic" in fact they stopped discussing Kindafunny content all together which is weird. Colin mentioned Twitter as negative as well. I don't want to start on YouTube comments and Neogaf because we know how they feel about the group. Even though I would say a year ago Youtube and Neogaf were much more positive toward the group than now. Look at the posters in first page of this thread and the PS I love you thread, you will see the same people that were excited now are criticizing them.

Obviously Patreon numbers is what matter the most and those numbers seems to be not effected at all by the recent events/complains.

Maybe it's the minority who are complaining but somehow it's growing louder and more restless.

With that said I look forward to January 5th to see what they are planning for next year. My hopes is they do a little shake up to their stale(imo) formula. Maybe give Kevin, Tim, and Nick a bigger role on Camera.

Are we the complainers in the vocal minority as Greg put it or the discontent is on a much larger scale?
First let me say I still like the guys a lot and they are still the only personalities that I regulatory follow. I wouldn't post here or anywhere else if I didn't care and didn't want them to improve. Like Colin would say "you can criticize something that you love".

Back to my initial question, I was surprised Yesterday to see the top post on /r/ps4/ yesterday was a thread complaining about them.
It got 400 upvotes before the mods deleted it. Reddit has always been very kind to C&G and very positive about them. They are always highly recommended in the recommend podcast threads. What even more surprising to me is the reaction thread in /r/Kindafunny about the /r/ps4 thread they were all agreeing and saying with constructive criticism some of the issues that they have.

Even the Facebook page has been more negative towards the content until Colin put them on a blast and people stopped sharing their opinion freely there because they don't want to look "toxic" in fact they stopped discussing there content all together which is weird. Colin mentioned Twitter as negative as well. I don't want to start on YouTube comments and Neogaf because we know how they feel about the group. Even though I would say a year ago Youtube and Neogaf were much more positive toward the group than now. Look at the posters in first page of this thread and the PS I love you thread, you will see the same people that were excited now are criticizing them.

Obviously Patreon numbers is what matter the most and those numbers seems to be not effected at all by the recent events/complains.

Maybe it's the minority who are complaining but somehow it's growing louder and more restless.

With that said I look forward to January 5th to see what they are planning for next year. My hopes is they do a little shake up to their stale(imo) formula. Maybe give Kevin, Tim, and Nick a bigger role on Camera.

Wait what. What was it complaining about?

Edit: nvm I see the thread at the KF sub.

I can't say I necessarily disagree with a lot of the criticism, it just doesn't bother me that much. I do hope they try to take it to heart. I'm glad my boy Tim has been getting so much appreciation lately though <3

Like I would have want them to put more time into TLG and FFXV so they could have more substantial discussions on it, but I understand that they did KF to be able to play and talk about only what they want. I dunno. They've been getting criticized for that approach a lot. It's a weird conundrum for them.

Mezoly

I can't say I necessarily disagree with a lot of the criticism, it just doesn't bother me that much. I do hope they try to take it to heart. I'm glad my boy Tim has been getting so much appreciation lately though <3

Like I would have want them to put more time into TLG and FFXV so they could have more substantial discussions on it, but I understand that they did KF to be able to play and talk about only what they want. I dunno. They've been getting criticized for that approach a lot. It's an weird conundrum for them.

I think the problem is the Gamecast structure. It's not an organic podcast the necessity to have segments kinda hurt it. If they did a 5 mins react video for TLG and FFXV with Tim answering questions from Greg with no Colin it would've been better.

sora87

I'd love for them to bring in someone who's in touch with japanese games so they could talk about them with some better understanding, that'd be great to have on the gamescast. Tim can cover Nintendo and some other games that get his interest like TLG, Colin and Greg can stick to the AAA games and vita games, and have someone to bring the japanese games perspective.

mitchlol

Last few weeks have been so cringe worthy from all of their podcasts...I don't think Tim is well spoken or can articulate any of the points he attempts to make. Greg is forever telling the same old stories about his/their past. Colin is a mixed bag, he either sounds as though he doesn't care to be there, or gets riled up about something seemingly insignificant.

The whole talk of the Game Awards was so painful I had to fast forward. If I have to listen to one more story about "back at IGN it was always the thing blah blah story"

I think I'm out

It's been a weird few months in terms of what they're interested in against the tastes of general gamers, the most thorough insight they've had is comparing and contrasted the single player portions of the big FPS shooters, which honestly wasn't great but at least they generally played the games from start to finish.

Come February with Horizon and followed by Switch, I feel like coverage will improve if only because it's stuff which everyone seems excited for.

Maximo

Last few weeks have been so cringe worthy from all of their podcasts...I don't think Tim is well spoken or can articulate any of the points he attempts to make. Greg is forever telling the same old stories about his/their past. Colin is a mixed bag, he either sounds as though he doesn't care to be there, or gets riled up about something seemingly insignificant.

The whole talk of the Game Awards was so painful I had to fast forward. If I have to listen to one more story about "back at IGN it was always the thing blah blah story"

I think I'm out

Give Easy Allies then Frame Trap a listen if you haven't already really great podcasts.

This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but how bad are the spoilers for Rogue One on this week's GOG show? I love Whitta from his days back on the Tested Podcast but I won't be able to see the movie until next week at some time since my girlfriend is out of town.

This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but how bad are the spoilers for Rogue One on this week's GOG show? I love Whitta from his days back on the Tested Podcast but I won't be able to see the movie until next week at some time since my girlfriend is out of town.

Don't listen to it unless you've seen Rogue One.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished the Kinda Hunnies episode. I loved it, really hope they do another sometime.

Erin was killing me at the end. "It's like a selfie stick... without the stick."

ST2K

Just finished the Kinda Hunnies episode. I loved it, really hope they do another sometime.

Erin was killing me at the end. "It's like a selfie stick... without the stick."

It was preeeetty great. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Top Bottom