• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Colin's defense of voter ID laws and insinuation that fraudulent voting is an actual problem is gross and speaks to how infuriating based in privilege his political beliefs are.

I really like Greg and nick and Tim and Kevin but man this is rough sometimes.

In that video he said something along the lines of "I don't think there is significant voter fraud at all, very little, but let the ID make sure of it once and for all."

Audioboxer

Colin's defense of voter ID laws and insinuation that fraudulent voting is an actual problem is gross and speaks to how infuriating based in privilege his political beliefs are.

I really like Greg and nick and Tim and Kevin but man this is rough sometimes.

I'm a bit confused about that anyway, as in how do you get to vote in America just now? Surely there is some sort of "protection"?

In the UK you need to register to vote, and then you get your ballot invitation mailed (as in post) to you and have to go to your local designated polling station (where they will check you off a register).

It does seem like a bit of a silly thing to get hung up on.

speedomodel

I'm a bit confused about that anyway, as in how do you get to vote in America just now? Surely there is some sort of "protection"?

In the UK you need to register to vote, and then you get your ballot invitation mailed (as in post) to you and have to go to your local designated polling station (where they will check you off a register).

In some states, like Chicago where I live, you walk in on voting day to the polling place you are assigned and say "Hello, my name is XYZ" and they look you up, have you sign by your name and you vote.

What speedomodel said, and then a number of Republican states have put laws into place that require photo IDs or specific voter IDs to vote. It's supposedly to cut down on voter fraud, like Colin was hinting at being possible in California, but there's no evidence that voter fraud is a problem to begin with. In practice, the laws mostly just exist as smokescreen to depress minority and poor turnout. When a federal court struck down North Carolina's voter ID laws, they determined it had been created with the specific purpose of keeping the Republicans in power by creating restrictions on voters unlikely to vote for them, like black people or poor people.

It's just frustrating to see Colin repeating the conservative talking points for voter ID laws, without mentioning any of the gross discrimination at the core of their existence.

Audioboxer

In some states, like Chicago where I live, you walk in on voting day to the polling place you are assigned and say "Hello, my name is XYZ" and they look you up, have you sign by your name and you vote.

What speedomodel said, and then a number of Republican states have put laws into place that require photo IDs or specific voter IDs to vote. It's supposedly to cut down on voter fraud, like Colin was hinting at being possible in California, but there's no evidence that voter fraud is a problem to begin with. In practice, the laws mostly just exist as smokescreen to depress minority and poor turnout. When a federal court struck down North Carolina's voter ID laws, they determined it had been created with the specific purpose of keeping the Republicans in power by creating restrictions on voters unlikely to vote for them, like black people or poor people.

It's just frustrating to see Colin repeating the conservative talking points for voter ID laws, without mentioning any of the gross discrimination at the core of their existence.

But surely you need to register to vote beforehand? I mean, that is "protection" in the UK in that you have to have yourself put onto the ballot paper, and your personal home address is registered with the government (and you have to update them if you move). When you got to a polling station, then yeah, they just ask you for your name and tick you off.

Karu

Yes, coming from Europe it is very hard to understand (Edit: Actually, I have no fucking clue what the laws in other European countries are, so nevermind in regards to that part) why you wouldnt need your ID when voting. Seems absolutrly reasonable and logical to me. That there is no voter fraud shouldnt be an Argument against it. That the Republicans want to change it for very apparent selfish reasons or that there are appparently large groups that dont even have these forms of Identifikation to begin with seems like the bigger problem here.

But surely you need to register to vote beforehand? I mean, that is "protection" in the UK in that you have to have yourself put onto the ballot paper, and your personal home address is registered with the government (and you have to update them if you move). When you got to a polling station, then yeah, they just ask you for your name and tick you off.

Yes, that's how it worked with no problem for years. You registered whenever, showed up to the local high school, church, or YMCA to vote, and one of the 70 year old ladies checked your name and ticked you off.

But, this was suddenly insecure and it became necessary for 65 year old African American women who don't drive who have voted at the same polling station since 1971 to have ID.

Audioboxer

Yes, that's how it worked with no problem for years. You registered whenever, showed up to the local high school, church, or YMCA to vote, and one of the 70 year old ladies checked your name and ticked you off.

But, this was suddenly insecure and it became necessary for 65 year old African American women who don't drive who have voted at the same polling station since 1971 to have ID.

I don't see any problem with that then, that's how it works here.

Although we do have a government issued national insurance ID which is used and/or your passport. So a form of ID is required.

Use this service to apply to register to vote or to:

update your name, address or other details on the electoral register
change your voting preferences, for example to vote in person or by post
change whether you’re on the open register
It usually takes about 5 minutes.

You may need the following, if you have them:

your National Insurance number
your passport if you’re a British citizen living abroad

You need to be on the electoral register to vote in elections and referendums.

Man I like Colin, but he messed up today. I get that the original tweet was just a joke, but following it up by saying anyone who didn't find it funny is a 'humorless piece of shit?' That's just asking for trouble. And now there's drama because of it.

Choomp

Banned
I get that it's a joke but he obviously wrote it just to get that response out of people. I don't know what point that's trying to prove

It would be a mediocre joke any day, but on this day it really just comes off as desperate for attention because despite the innocent "it's just a joke" defence, he knew exactly what kind of reaction that was going to get. How edgy.

Choomp

Banned
Honestly, that's a joke like a dad makes nudging his son, half just trying to annoy his wife in the process. Not really a joke you tweet out to thousands of followers especially given the context of the day(and since it just felt like he was aiming to piss people off)

RoKKeR

Colin's criticism of outrage culture today finally folded back onto itself, perpetuating and goading outrage about the outrage that he knew he would start with that tweet. It's just stupid, plain and simple. The joke is dumb, mostly innocuous IMO but in extremely poor taste on this particular day, but the thinking behind it (especially given his recent comments on Ruben Report and PSILY) is fairly transparent.

Quite the drama though, him not going to PAX. I do wonder how they other guys feel about all of this, and wonder what next week's content will be like in response. Next we hear from them post-today is likely PSILY, right?

Mezoly

Colin's criticism of outrage culture today finally folded back onto itself, perpetuating and goading outrage about the outrage that he knew he would start with that tweet. It's just stupid, plain and simple. The joke is dumb, mostly innocuous IMO but in extremely poor taste on this particular day, but the thinking behind it (especially given his recent comments on Ruben Report and PSILY) is fairly transparent.

Quite the drama though, him not going to PAX. I do wonder how they other guys feel about all of this, and wonder what next week's content will be like in response. Next we hear from them post-today is likely PSILY, right?

That's my problem with the tweet as well. I feel he made it so he could point/laugh at outrage culture. It's like dude we get it. At this point it's outrage at the outrage culture. So what's the point other than negativity and community infighting and alienating.

Icolin

Banned

Gamescast (which recorded today, presumably) early access for Patreon supporters on Thursday (as well as GOG) and Morning Show on Monday come before PSILY.

Karu

Honestly, that's a joke like a dad makes nudging his son, half just trying to annoy his wife in the process. Not really a joke you tweet out to thousands of followers especially given the context of the day(and since it just felt like he was aiming to piss people off)
I have absolutely no problem with Colin making that joke - it's pretty abysmal (like...damn. That's what you came up with? :D), but whatever. I love me some Bill Burr stand-up or even Jesilneks special hour on Netflix (Though I think joke-y stand-up is pretty lame). The timing, if anything is what makes the joke worth it to begin with. But Colin is so incredibly try-hard, that's the true 'funny' and sad part of it all. If that makes him feel good, go for it, but live with the consequences. You certainly don't earn my respect with some garbage tweet that added nothing and if anything just shows that comedy beyond buddy-buddy inside-joke comedy isn't necessarily your forte.

All the rest is just people and groups screaming at each other and at the end of it all some people cancelled their Patreon and others started supporting them, maybe.

ST2K

...So I apparently missed some happenings today.

How did a dumb joke like that escalate to a written apology from Greg?

idonteven

it's a joke coming from colin...90% of the stuff he says on twitter is to offend or trigger other people

worst thing is the army of trump supporters that back him up

idonteven

What was the joke?

I can't see it due to him blocking me the last time he was being offensive.

colinmgskfy.png

Audioboxer

Pretty silly joke because everyone knows for one day at least everyone is looking for solidarity not division. So Colin should have just refrained from being an edge lord for one day. Not much to ask. The 'joke' would have been less hostile in a few weeks, in terms of the outrage. Not a joke I'd attempt myself (it's overdone and not really funny), or really care for, but Colin is Colin in terms of pushing buttons. A silly tweet doesn't stop a good day of global work.

However, the internet character assassination machine will have won. I do expect him to quit KF now and do his own thing. You might see that as a win, you might not, but it will probably happen. Especially when his own team pretty much hinting it's time to go. Even Greg who's supposed to be his best friend (as in he knows him personally better than the planet).

My personal opinion is the usual with twitter and FB drama, 90% of people should just unfollow, block, ignore, but 10% are okay calling him out as they can do it without going for the jugular of we want your job, your income, your livelihood and for your life to fall apart over an insensitive joke. We want you completely destroyed. KF may be independently funded but many people want Colin to suffer to the extremes of losing everything, and will find a moral win in seeing it unfolding. Of course, Colin being dumb can be the rock beginning to roll down the hill to his own path of self-destruction, but the internet often jumps to firing a boulder down that hill at the speed of light.

Just my 2 cents, and I do think you'll now see him leave KF. Getting onto Dave Rubin clearly got to his head. As much as you may want to call it pseudo-censorship, Twitter should not be your personal dumping ground for jokes and comments that may be better off said behind closed doors and with family (like simply Colin to his GF if she laughed at it). At least not in today's climate if you have a public job and/or are a public figure. It's not worth it, and masses of people can most certainly get you deplatformed, fired or damage your income. As can your own self-arrogance and behaviour, but there is still importance in being able to separate genuinely dangerous and/or callous everyday people, from focusing so much energy, time and effort on edge lords, trolls and those trying to be a 'low effort' stand up comedian. Largely speaking, leave the political/social commentary jokes to actual comedians, stick to dick and fart jokes if you want to use your personal social media accounts for the 'lolz'.

People tweeting never learn and we'll have a new Twitter hot take next week seeing someone self-implode and masses of people angry. Social media was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

ps. Colin if you're reading this topic, which you may well do as you are a bit of an egomaniac (observation, not criticism!), what you should take for the above is the tweet itself is done by you and you only, so you should know better in 2017 what the consequences may be. After your public and no doubt private remarks with Rubin, you both know fine well what consequences can be served up due to twitter/FB posts (yes, even insensitive and/or edgy jokes). If you leave KF it will be partly of your own making, however that being said given you are who you are it might be where your career would lead anyway, funding/show of your own, and maybe even in politics instead of games if that is your true passion. None of us know your private comments with the rest of KF, but from the outside it does seem, maybe understandably, they're airing on the side of the angry twitter folks and trying to calm those flames, rather than with you (as always people threaten their livelihood too). It's Always Sunny 24 hour news cycle, a few days time most will have moved on... Probably.

I'd like to believe if I were a woman following Colin on twitter I'd understand his sense of humor and that joke but I'm a guy so I can't say. Seemed innocuous to me.

My only problem with Colin is he tries (a little too hard sometimes) to be inflammatory but then also very much likes to act like the victim. Like he's the lone stalwart in a sea of people that are out to get him for voicing his opinions.

it's a joke coming from colin...90% of the stuff he says on twitter is to offend or trigger other people

worst thing is the army of trump supporters that back him up

And those crazy fanatical fans are all over the comment section of today's videos. These delusional people are saying things like "can't believe Tim and Greg did Colin dirty like that" and "Can't believe Greg threw his best friend under the bus". Give me a fucking break. Colin brought all of this on himself by act like a petulant child on Twitter.

I also find it hilarious that Colin moans about outrage culture, but when people tell him his joke sucks, he gets outraged. Surely he must see the irony?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't see any problem with that then, that's how it works here.

Although we do have a government issued national insurance ID which is used and/or your passport. So a form of ID is required.

The US is different in that compared to Europe we have different logistical problems even beyond our historical racial baggage.

Canada, Russia, China, US as well as a couple more countries have unique situations compared to most countries purely due to size and scale.

The UK is roughly the size of Oregon just for comparison.

Audioboxer

The US is different in that compared to Europe we have different logistical problems even beyond our historical racial baggage.

Canada, Russia, China, US as well as a couple more countries have unique situations compared to most countries purely due to size and scale.

The UK is roughly the size of Oregon just for comparison.

That's true, which is partly why my brain does some scrambling to try and think how voter ID could logistically be done. It does seem like a ton of work/effort for next to no gain. Voting fraud is pretty much non-existent and this is proven every time they do research into it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Despite my liberal leanings I've always broken against my fellow lefties on this issue. I get why it is coming from a bad place as basically voter repression on the right.

I've just never seen why we still couldn't do it in a common sense type of way.

Decide we are gonna give out national IDs to everyone, but say we won't require them for use on anything for a decade. Just have it be optional in the meantime.

That would be more than enough lag time to get everyone a card.

Mezoly

Any mention of the debacle on the morning show? Stopped trying to keep up with the PS I Love You Thread lol

There is no morning show this week. They will be at PAX east. Except Colin probably having a vacation now that he has weaseled himself out of PAX east lol.

AdamMPSP

That's true, which is partly why my brain does some scrambling to try and think how voter ID could logistically be done. It does seem like a ton of work/effort for next to no gain. Voting fraud is pretty much non-existent and this is proven every time they do research into it.

Hope I'm not jumping in where I shouldn't be, but one other negative aspect of voter ID laws in the US is that they very unfairly target minorities and poorer people, who statistically have a much higher chance of not having the paperwork/identification necesariy or the ability to lose a day of work to get it. This further disenfranchises those groups, and then makes them even less likely to get out and vote.

Zukkoyaki

All I can say is that I wouldn't want to be Kinda Funny's new community manager right now.

There's appears to be a significant split in their audience right now. One group is the "best friends" who I expect are the ones who have been around the longest and really enjoy and buy into the idea of their fun, open and inclusive community. And then there's the Colin worshippers that are eerily similar to the types that defend GamerGate and Neo-nazis. These are the ones currently trolling/spamming Greg and Tim and trolling/spamming all of their videos today. I think they're definitely fewer in number but they're also the loudest and are starting to suppress the rest of the community.

Icolin

Banned
All I can say is that I wouldn't want to be Kinda Funny's new community manager right now.

There's appears to be a significant split in their audience right now. One group is the "best friends" who I expect are the ones who have been around the longest and really enjoy and buy into the idea of their fun, open and inclusive community. And then there's the Colin worshippers that are eerily similar to the types that defend GamerGate and Neo-nazis. These are the ones currently trolling/spamming Greg and Tim and trolling/spamming all of their videos today. I think they're definitely fewer in number but they're also the loudest and are starting to suppress the rest of the community.

Agreed.

mdubs

Banned

This sounds like a good assessment. There seem to be a number of us on here who have been supporters for a while but are becoming disillusioned with things in the past months. I am.

I don't see Joey Noelle doing much about it, but I haven't been following closely.

This is kinda why I don't like when content creators put so much focus on their "communities", the community doesn't seem to know how to handle all the attention. It reminds me a lot of when I was heavily following Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter content and how obsessive their community gets with not being able to take any criticism about the creators or content, or delving so deep into their personal lives or speculations with zero fact to back it up.

Though maybe this is just me, I don't get too "connected" to creators like a lot of people seem to, probably more of a "silent majority" person that Greg refers to a lot; just sit back, enjoy the content, don't get caught up in any internet drama, and move on.

Does anyone have a direct link to their patreon? Everytime I go on their patreon page on my iPhone I see there story but I don't see where to fork over money. This would be my first patreon and maybe that's the problem?

Edit: dumb dumb dumb post, of course everything is in the awesome OP

Does anyone have a direct link to their patreon? Everytime I go on their patreon page on my iPhone I see there story but I don't see where to fork over money. This would be my first patreon and maybe that's the problem?

Edit: dumb dumb dumb post, of course everything is in the awesome OP

Yup! MattyG did an exceptional job.

Top Bottom