• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

He still doesn't deserve the threats and so forth from the Kinda Funny "community". That shit really does not help garner Colin any sympathy imo.

Of course not, that's definitely something to not be condoned. But to be fair, it's something Colin and Greg both did say not to do that.

Overtech

Neo Member
He still doesn't deserve the threats and so forth from the Kinda Funny "community". That shit really does not help garner Colin any sympathy imo.

Absolutely not, and I know Colin and Greg don't condone that behavior. Problem is they are public figures with a huge fanbase, so if they draw attention to any negative remarks about them, it will draw the ire of some fans who think they're coming to Colin's defense. In reality that's destructive, not constructive behavior on the fans' part. I love Colin, so instead of hurling ad hominems at Bob, I simply withdrew my Retronauts Patreon pledge.

Bob made immature, insulting remarks against Colin as a person, but it doesn't mean KF supporters should respond in kind.

LiK

Did Colin seriously call out Bob Mackey on the morning show? Seems pretty weird to see a feud be acknowledged on one of their shows.

Did Colin seriously call out Bob Mackey on the morning show? Seems pretty weird to see a feud be acknowledged on one of their shows.

Yes, but Nick sort of nudged him to do so by asking if he wanted to talk about it. Colin initially made a quick quip about it earlier in the show (if you didn't know about the Twitter thing, you would've missed it), but then Nick asked later if he wanted to elaborate on the issue and who it was with. Though, Nick had no clue that Bob Mackey was a former IGNer. Maybe if he did, he wouldn't have brought it up.

LiK

Yes, but Nick sort of nudged him to do so by asking if he wanted to talk about it. Colin initially made a quick quip about it earlier in the show (if you didn't know about the Twitter thing, you would've missed it), but then Nick asked later if he wanted to elaborate on the issue and who it was with. Though, Nick had no clue that Bob Mackey was a former IGNer. Maybe if he did, he wouldn't have brought it up.

I still follow them both so I see this shit all day. It's still going on right now. Altho I still find calling out someone with names etc on their show is pretty dang crazy. This is like the nerdy version of rapper feuds.

Did this get moved to community? I rarely see people use this thread.

It was always community. It has never been all that active apart from a few of us. And (my fault), but when I posted the PS I Love You XOXO thread, that sort of became the de facto Kinda Funny thread as it's out in gaming. I do wonder if the PS I Love You XOXO thread should be moved over here as well. I really don't want it shut down (for selfish reasons!).

Jerm411

zqn9EI7.jpg

Well I guess that all but answers what I brought up in my earlier post...

Karu

I'll have to give him that... Colin talking about him being proof for the American Dream is a fantastic stand-up set-up... (PSILoveYou)

Maybe, but Colin DM'd him later. They're both rational adults, so I assume they at least came to an understanding with each other.

What I was about to say: he did DM him later. I understand being peed off in general because of the vitriol being spewed at him from Bob, and Justin always interjecting, but I still thought Colin was being a tad too harsh :p

It was always community. It has never been all that active apart from a few of us. And (my fault), but when I posted the PS I Love You XOXO thread, that sort of became the de facto Kinda Funny thread as it's out in gaming. I do wonder if the PS I Love You XOXO thread should be moved over here as well. I really don't want it shut down (for selfish reasons!).

Ah ok, it all makes sense now.

Icolin

Banned
Colin getting fired up and hitting everyone with shrapnel.

I think a lot of it is pent up frustration that's been building for awhile, but now he's responding (i.e. the Bob Mackie situation).

Not trying to defend his harshness or anything, just trying to put it into perspective.

I mean, I can't imagine how I'd feel after reading the sort of stuff being said about him in the Colin Was Right thread, and the stuff that Bob Mackie's been saying (nazi piece of garbage, talentless, etc etc); it'd probably get to you at some point.

It looks like we might get an Colin/Aisha Taylor Patreon exclusive video. A fan suggested one happened and Colin tweeted to Aisha. She responded by saying she'd be up to it anytime.

Holy shit, ouch. I hope they smoothed things over, publicly saying you're not friends in the "loosest definition" with a former co-worker seems overly harsh for the situation.

Apparently Colin asked for a DM. I guess for a private conversation to hopefully smooth things over.

Choomp

Banned
While I think a lot of the criticisms of Colin's work are valid, the stuff from Bob is clearly something different fueled by jealously or whatever other personal matter.

While I think a lot of the criticisms of Colin's work are valid, the stuff from Bob is clearly something different fueled by jealously or whatever other personal matter.

Pretty sure it's not jealousy, considering he's left jobs at major outlets before because it's just not his thing. Honestly, with the amount the KF community is going after him, I don't blame him for lashing out.
EDIT: By that I mean, huge popularity probably isn't his goal. I don't think.

Salaadin

I think both sides come out of this looking silly. Bob clearly has major issues with Colin and should have kept his immature mouth shut. Colin has every right to defend himself but I feel like he should have stopped after addressing it yesterday on the show. Hes been talking about moving on from it for three days now...yet just 4 hours ago, he's still talking crap by way of petty insults. And so is Bob.

They're acting like high schoolers.

LiK

I don't understand why Bob is all up his grill about it and I don't intend to ask. I like both of their gaming opinions and I enjoy their work. Whatever this is should stop. Now that Colin called it out on the show, I don't see this ending anytime soon. Bob already got Colin fans going after him on Twitter.

Hopefully this shit is over with quickly so we can go back to fun stupid stuff on the show. Got enough trouble with our country and I wanna escape more strife, tbh.

Someone said Bob claimed it had to do with a quip about welfare by Colin. Apparently Bob said his mother was on welfare, and Colin's quip rubbed him the wrong way. Looking at how far back his Colin tweets go (2013), it must've been something said during the 2012 election. If so, maybe Colin said something in regards to this: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/22/romney-talks-welfare-but-not-47/

Jerm411

Wonder who these other "industry friends" are Colin refers to in his tweet checking Justin....other people taking shots at him it seems.

sora87

Think i'll skip this weeks gamescast, pete hines comes across exactly like that greenberg guy from microsoft and i can't stand him.

LiK

Think i'll skip this weeks gamescast, pete hines comes across exactly like that greenberg guy from microsoft and i can't stand him.

what do you mean? is he like the Epic CEO? cuz that guy is the biggest shill and a very boring guest.

ST2K

Regarding the Gamescast, I'm a bit disappointed Greg didn't figure out a way to inquire about all the alleged shady business deals. Probably wouldn't have gone anywhere, but that whole thing is like a pall over anything Bethesda-related.

Also kinda bummed Greg didn't ask my question about how Nintendo's development approach apparently changed with Switch, since Hines himself heavily implied in the past they'd never work with Nintendo. I'd love to hear more western third-parties go on record on this, since the most we get out of them is vague "never count Nintendo out" statements.

mdubs

Banned
I just want Colin to answer a simple question:

Do you think that someone can vote for/support a person who says openly racist and sexist things without being racist/sexist themselves?

Because the core of his argument continues to be that there is a silent, decent majority of people supporting Donald Trump who are in the middle like he is.

ST2K

Do you think that someone can vote for/support a person who says openly racist and sexist things without being racist/sexist themselves?

Because the core of his argument continues to be that there is a silent, decent majority of people supporting Donald Trump who are in the middle like he is.

I mean, he's said yes to that question previously. And on this week's GOG, I think.

Whether he thinks it's a majority or not, I don't think he's said.

He addresses this question pretty much every time they get into the subject. His answer is yes. A counter argument he always brings up is if you believe everyone who votes for a candidate is behind all of their beliefs, then everyone who voted for Obama the first time was against gay marriage (and other examples of that with Bill Clinton)

Karu

Colin's on point in "Should We Be Punching Nazis?". Totally emphatic to Tim's view, though. Staying quiet can be hard and frustrating.

Karu

For some people, staying silent is not an option.
You're absolutely right.

Having said that - and I admit I obviously said it wrong - in the spirit of the discussion at hand I meant "it can be difficult to stay quiet" in regards to turning to violence or unconstitutional solutions (e.g. Wanting to cut down on free speech) or not. Especially in the latter case I can be emphatic to the feeling something like that is your last resort, albeit not agreeing on a principle-level.

What do I think in the moment, emotionally, personally? Punch that fucker in the face and be glad you did. Just face the consequences. All charges are justified.

Here they go again. There aren't sides here. There are decent people and there are goddamn fucking Nazis. You can't talk with Nazis, you can only put them in their place.

Again Colin being his usual self-righteous blowhard self. Always thinks he knows better than everyone else. His privilege blinds him, he has no fucking clue.

Bulby

Here they go again. There aren't sides here. There are decent people and there are goddamn fucking Nazis. You can't talk with Nazis, you can only put them in their place.

Again Colin being his usual self-righteous blowhard self. Always thinks he knows better than everyone else. His privilege blinds him, he has no fucking clue.

Then please go forth and punch. Let the rest of us talk about this.

mdubs

Banned
man that comment section tho...im so suprised with the amount of douchebags that are in the community
I'm not anymore. At least 50% of the commenters are alt-right people, which is really sad.

Respect for Tim though for providing a defensible viewpoint in that segment. I respect the fact that he is willing to self question and be introspective about his views, and it's sad the amount of hate he is getting for it.

Tbh the Kinda Funny Community has a large proportion of absolutely disgusting people as evidenced by the comments in a lot of their videos.

Edit: I think Colin's stance, though I disagree with it, is at least consistent in canvassing some of the nuances.

I'm not anymore. At least 50% of the commenters are alt-right people, which is really sad.

Respect for Tim though for providing the defensible viewpoint in that segment. I respect the fact that he is willing to self question and be introspective about his views, and it's sad the amount of hate he is getting for it.

Tbh the Kinda Funny Community has a large proportion of absolutely disgusting people as evidenced by the comments in a lot of their videos.

Come on, that's not really fair to Kinda Funny (or their fans). YouTube comments are generally a total cesspool all around. And the bigger the channel, the worse it seems. Twitch, too. But Kinda Funny's Twitch community seems quite respectful compared to other Twitch communities. That, I think, is due to their mods.

mdubs

Banned
Come on, that's not really fair to Kinda Funny (or their fans). YouTube comments are generally a total cesspool all around. And the bigger the channel, the worse it seems. Twitch, too. But Kinda Funny's Twitch community seems quite respectful compared to other Twitch communities. That, I think, is due to their mods.

To qualify, I'm not saying that all of them are, but the proportion of people who are insulting Tim and just being horrible in general has been vastly outweighing the number of people putting forward reasonable views. And that isn't meant to be an insult to the guys themselves, but an assessment of what the community is beginning to look like to an increasingly disillusioned supporter

Top Bottom