• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Loona

Loving the screenshot of the day, I don't recall Ryo's Tenchi Haohken having that kind of effect, and applying it on Choi in particular is a neat touch.

Prediction: Joe, Mai, and the 3rd member of the prison team.

No way they're showing off Mai this soon.
It can't take long for them to show off Mui Mui or Alice though, they blend in decently with the existing cast and their teams are still underrepresented.

Renkax

16 characters left to be shown (not including joe..) 4 more trailers until the 14th trailer. Will they show 4 characters this time ?! Dx

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Am I the only one that thinks Ryo's Skin texture looks really nice in today's screen? Looks more nuanced and full of variance than what we've seen of Geese in the previous shot; his outfit also looks very nicely done.

As far as bets for the new trailer...

I want Joe to still get trolled. Maybe he and Alice act as if they're competing for the last Fatal Fury Team slot? Kensou would also be good in a light-hearted trailer.

It is kind of weird we havent' seen Daimon yet, and it's kinda time for someone who'se way different in size to show up again...

Neoxon

Part of me wants Joe to get trolled again, but I have a gut feeling that SNK will just get his reveal done & not drag him out too long.

As for the other two, I'm hoping for Mai & either the Chinese Hero or Kim's Master.

It'll be interesting to see how much localization might change things. What if the Pub demanded an English dub? Is that even possible? Heck, could they release it as-is when the JP is ready, and just make the dub DLable later for free?

I doubt that'll be the case. There's rarely any English dubbing on Japanese games like KOF.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I doubt that'll be the case. There's rarely any English dubbing on Japanese games like KOF.

Rarely, yes. But Maximum Impact had an English Dub, and there were even a few dub lines in KoF XII. It's unlikely, but it's not impossible, especially when SNKP is trying harder than they have in YEARS to reach out to gamers.

Dubs have become common in Blazblue, Street Fighter, and for the appropriate characters in Tekken also.

Tizoc

The. Only thing joe will do in this trailer is his ass taunt
And all will be right with the world again

Sheentak

Rarely, yes. But Maximum Impact had an English Dub, and there were even a few dub lines in KoF XII. It's unlikely, but it's not impossible, especially when SNKP is trying harder than they have in YEARS to reach out to gamers.

Dubs have become common in Blazblue, Street Fighter, and for the appropriate characters in Tekken also.

To add to this the Engrish adds so much charm to the game

Neoxon

While I doubt that it'll be the case, I hope that they at least do English voice acting for characters that would normally speak English (the Bogards, for example). My ideal scenario is for SNKP to go either the Street Fighter route (English & Japanese being selectable on a character-by-character basis) or the Tekken route (languages accurate to their country of origin). But given all of the Japanese voice acting we have so far, a variant of the Street Fighter route seems like the most likely option (if any).

JayEH

KOF has had the same voice actors for years for a lot of their characters would be weird to hear them in another language. And yes the Engrish is part of the charm for some characters. I don't want to hear Terry speak proper English.

Scotia

Banned
I'd be fine with them speaking in Japanese and Engrish. Although some of the voices annoy me (mainly Angel and Athena), I'd rather leave it as it already is.

TreIII

To me, such things ARE the story in a fighting game. Poses, quotes, and changes in character relations are what tell us the outcomes an evolving nature of a character. It'd be great to see characters get tired of each other in between long sets, blowing off intros just to spar again, or for really competitive types to start saying things like "So how many wins is that for me now? Why do you even keep trying?!"

That'd be going the extra mile!

I'D just be happy if they took a page from ASW and had a few more unique lines through the match.

Iori: *vs Kyo, using fireball* "Doushita, Kyo?!"

And so forth. It would just add a bit more personality to match ups. Ditto if unique/special music tracks were bought back from 98.

Just as long as they don't get TOO chatty midfight, a la ASW games.

It'll be interesting to see how much Localization might change things. What if the Pub demanded an English dub? Is that even possible?

I could see a dub happening if a) the publisher was willing to foot the bill and b) if said publisher thought a dub would really help KOF's fortunes in the US (and somehow get a different result from before).

The reason I have doubts is because I don't think a dub would do much to change things, and would come off as a bit...I want to say "egocentric"(?) to cater specifically to US FG players, when the majority of KOF's market is in other places around the world.

Either follow Tekken's example and go for international dubbing for each team in the game, or just leave it as is, I say. Don't increase the costs in ways that won't guarantee you a return.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I'd be perfectly fine with that, lol. He can still get to show off his moves while fighting the "real" intros of trailers going forward... he'd just never be acknowledged like the rest, leading to his agitation, ha.

To add to this the Engrish adds so much charm to the game

Especially now-a-days, where these actors also do the OVA's, motion comics, commercials, and even voicework in in silly things like Robot Chicken or Family guy skits. It's nice to have some English equivalence to the JP Seiyuu so that you can get another interpretation of the characters.

While I doubt that it'll be the case, I hope that they at least do English voice acting for characters that would normally speak English (the Bogards, for example). My ideal scenario is for SNKP to go either the Street Fighter route (English & Japanese being selectable on a character-by-character basis) or the Tekken route (languages accurate to their country of origin). But given all of the Japanese voice acting we have so far, a variant of the Street Fighter route seems like the most likely option (if any).

I'd love to have this as an option too. I LOVE the JP Seiyuu (Harumi Ikoma\s voice is memorable for me on all the characters she plays for SNK, for example), but just as it was weird to hear Kyle Hebert voice Ryu for the first time, but now he's almost as memorable for his HADOUKEN's as the traditional JP Seiyuu work for me.

KOF has had the same voice actors for years for a lot of their characters would be weird to hear them in another language. And yes the Engrish is part of the charm for some characters. I don't want to hear Terry speak proper English.

Definitely (though some had to have been, and have been replaced over the years, and they mentioned some will be in this game), they've also had English takes. Fatal Fury OVAs, Samsho and AoF's, The Maximum Impact games, and some voicework in XII all has US voicework for characters.

I love SNK Engrish, even how they squeezed lots of it into Trouble Witches NEO on XBLA. But having a "proper" English dub right alongside an SNK-Traditional one would just add to, and not detract, from the appeal of the work.

I'd be fine with them speaking in Japanese and Engrish. Although some of the voices annoy me (mainly Angel and Athena), I'd rather leave it as it already is.

I had "Psyco BALL! PSYCHO SWORRRRDD!" ring in my ears for so many years, it was more a "face of KoF" rather than anything I ever found annoying. It's always funny to me how often I heard such voice lines, but never fought ill of any of them. It took the internet to make me think "Oh, these might actually annoy someone!"

SNK Engrish will always remind me of those days. They way I knew I liked a random arcade game I played was that I'd be repeating the attack and death sounds all the time with my siblings after playing. Games like Data East's TumblePop would probably have been forgotten by now, if not for their engrishy, memorable voice clips.

Neoxon

I'd love to have this as an option too. I LOVE the JP Seiyuu (Harumi Ikoma\s voice is memorable for me on all the characters she plays for SNK, for example), but just as it was weird to hear Kyle Hebert voice Ryu for the first time, but now he's almost as memorable for his HADOUKEN's as the traditional JP Seiyuu work for me.
You could also attribute that to Kyle Hebert growing into the role over the years. If you ask me, his Ryu in Smash 4 was probably Kyle's best.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You could also attribute that to Kyle Hebert growing into the role over the years. If you ask me, his Ryu in Smash 4 was probably Kyle's best.

It feels great that he's gotten the chance to. I think he did great with Smash, also. I love the fact they have a consistent cast for US Street Fighter, since it opens doors to so much more for the characters crossover potential. And some of the US casting works very well as it's own entity.

It's not like some of the VA's aren't fans of the characters, too. I love it when they're able to possibly lend nostalgic fun to the works that even the JP voices don't think of, since they've grown up alongside these characters like many of us.

It'd be funny to see a SNK-ified English dub with a random chance for Mai to say "Me Bouncy!", like so many thought she said back in the day (at least around me, lol.) The JP "ARE you O-KAY?!" in the trailers hasn't been as prominent as many would like it, what if an English Dub could perfectly nail it, MOTW style?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

BUT HOW IM GONNA EXPLAIN IT TO MY SON?
SMH

BUT HOW IM GONNA EXPLAIN IT TO MY SON?
SMH

You will explain to him the glory that is the

1426653975-based-chairman.jpg

Loona

MuiMui and hooded man Kukri... odd that a guy named after a kind of knife appears to have sand-based abilities.

Also, nice touch on the slot animation of the "Burn To Fight" words before she appears...

Tizoc

Yooooooooo
Kukri is awesome!
Muimui is a waste of an additon i am sorry
Might still enjoy playing her tho

BadWolf

Kukri is a total badass (dat sand tatsu).

Both characters look really fun to play.

A lot of variety in the cast and play styles so far.

Scotia

Banned
Disappointed at only two reveals. They couldn't even stick Joe in there?

Kukri is awesome. One of the best new characters yet.

MuiMui I can do without but, similar to what Tizoc said, I'd rather have actual KOF characters take that spot.

All in all, especially compared to the last trailer, I'm rather disappointed.

BadWolf

Like with Sylvia, it seems like SNK is trying to expand the scope of the KOF cast to appeal to new audiences. That's a great thing imo.

Muimui looks really fun and upbeat, feels like a classic anime character.

TreIII

Like with Sylvia, it seems like SNK is trying to expand the scope of the KOF cast to appeal to new audiences. That's a great thing imo.

Muimui looks really fun and upbeat, feels like a classic anime character.

Well, to be fair, they really had to, at this point.

Unless you count Saiki's inclusion later, XIII didn't add a single new face to the roster. Otherwise, the only "new to KOF" character was Hwa. Not a good way to generate interest, especially for what was supposed to be a new mainline KOF. XIV had to prove that was just a one off.

As much as I definitely want to see some old favorites of mine return to the fold sooner rather than later, I completely understand and condone them introducing more new characters. Where would the series be if it just relied on old favorites and obscure throwbacks all the time?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People told me Mui had some KR Ryuki reference, I hope they keep doing toku homages even on new stuff

Top Bottom