• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

BadWolf

Well, to be fair, they really had to, at this point.

Unless you count Saiki's inclusion later, XIII didn't add a single new face to the roster. Otherwise, the only "new to KOF" character was Hwa. Not a good way to generate interest, especially for what was supposed to be a new mainline KOF. XIV had to prove that was just a one off.

As much as I definitely want to see some old favorites of mine return to the fold sooner rather than later, I completely understand and condone them introducing more new characters. Where would the series be if it just relied on old favorites and obscure throwbacks all the time?

Spot on, it was both needed and is very much appreciated.

The cast has over 30 (?) returning characters and that is more than fair.

JayEH

I like both. Seems like they want to slow down the characters per reveals. I'm ok with that if it means a trailer every week.

Beckx

Kukri looks awesome. Not so much for the other person.

okay but

CfctezrW8AAf4he.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sand guy is great. Muimui is ok but isn't she a bit too close to Xianfei, design-wise ? Maybe that's just me.

Any similarities she has to Xiangfei are cool, since she herself is not here. That just makes me want to play her more, really. Hope she has a reference colorset.

The focus on Shen Long-style dragon movements (lots of circles, like a serpentine Chinese dragon) and Dragon flames seems to easily make her original. I fully expect Master Roshi and Genderflip Goku to be part of a special team together now.

vsMIC

Part of me wants Joe to get trolled again, but I have a gut feeling that SNK will just get his reveal done & not drag him out too long.

Aplogize my ignorance, I am not very familiar with Kof. Just interested in 14 now...

Some comments like above make me think Joe (the Muay Thai guy) is some sort of joke character or at least not very popular?

sephi22

It seems like Joe is popular, but he's also considered comic relief.
I don't know much about KOF history myself but when I was a kid playing early FF games Joe seemed like one of the three protagonists. But then in CvS1 he ended up being Dan's counterpart on the SNK side and a 1 stock character. :/

BadWolf

Aplogize my ignorance, I am not very familiar with Kof. Just interested in 14 now...

Some comments like above make me think Joe (the Muay Thai guy) is some sort of joke character or at least not very popular?

Joe isn't exactly a joke character, he has a serious fighting style, but he has a fun personality.

joe-cape2k1.gif

joe-mooninaway-cvs.gif

His KOFXIII sprite was full on serious though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

He's more of a guy that they can afford to have fun with. If you know the One Piece anime, think of him like Usopp there. He's as serious a part of the Fatal Fury group as anyone else, but he's more apt to doing outlandish things, or being the butt of a joke (or flashing his butt as a taunt).

Scotia

Banned
Had a few spare minutes and decided to take the roster leak and do a quick highlight as to who's been revealed so far, just to make it easier.

vDpu4dn.png

PSqueak

Banned

He's insanely popular, he is a joke character, but not in the fighting game sense, but as in, his personality and traits are used in a light hearted jokey manner.

TreIII

It seems like Joe is popular, but he's also considered comic relief.
I don't know much about KOF history myself but when I was a kid playing early FF games Joe seemed like one of the three protagonists. But then in CvS1 he ended up being Dan's counterpart on the SNK side and a 1 stock character. :/

Well, it works like this.

Back in the day (re: Fatal Fury 1 & 2), Joe was actually a pretty stock stoic Japanese guy. Nothing that really made him stand out from the trio of Fatal Fury heroes, personality-wise. Then the second Fatal Fury OVA came out, made him a much more loud, boisterous character voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama (who's been his VA ever since). And much like other things from that OVA, such as making Wolfgang Krauser and Geese Howard half-brothers, it stuck. And that was what made Joe the center of a lot of running gags, such as him being in a relationship with Billy's sister, while Billy himself certainly does NOT approve of that. But otherwise, as described above, he's certainly a legit character in every other respect.

Since the KOF series does more to push veteran chars like Ryo and Terry to the background, their supporting cast has suffered even more so, such that they're now mainly known for a very basic tropes or jokes. And much like how Andy is being eternally chased by Mai, Joe is known far and wide for being the guy who laughs a lot and prone to mooning his competition.

I had a thought regarding the new character in the Villain/Prisoner team. He looks like a serial killer, so I thought that maybe his character will end up being a knife wielding psychopath...and thus replace Yamazaki.

Just like how Nelson has seemingly replaced Vanessa, I think the new prisoner will be a replacement for Yamazaki.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If wonder if the UI will ended up using illustrastions like those in the leaked roster image or renders like in the preview builds.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I only just finished Skypiea so this isn't helping Joe's standing any.

Ha, yeah, that might paint him worse if that's as far as you are. I mean to say he's the interesting, more regular-guy-like heart of the group, approachable amidst a crowd of strong guys that intimidate with a move or glance.

While everyone else is in comfortable relationships with the girls of their dreams, Mr. Higashi...

... kinda gets the short end of the stick.

Ha, yeah, that might paint him worse if that's as far as you are. I mean to say he's the interesting, more regular-guy-like heart of the group, approachable amidst a crowd of strong guys that intimidate with a move or glance.

While everyone else is in comfortable relationships with the girls of their dreams, Mr. Higashi...

... kinda gets the short end of the stick.

I'd say he's getting the a pretty big piece of it judging by those pics.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I had a thought regarding the new character in the Villain/Prisoner team. He looks like a serial killer, so I thought that maybe his character will end up being a knife wielding psychopath...and thus replace Yamazaki.

Just like how Nelson has seemingly replaced Vanessa, I think the new prisoner will be a replacement for Yamazaki.

I don't get the feeling any of the old characters are "Replaced", but year, I could see him giving as nod to his gameplay, along with his own wrinkles.

At first I thought Muimui was part of the psycho soldiers.
She does remind me of Kensou's wrestling with his Dragon Powers, yeah.

Muimui seems to be Momoko levels of annoying.

Also, Kukri's hood reminds me of Makai's group.

She doesn't seem anyway near like Momoko to me. Momoko constantly drooled over big-sis breast sizes, had a butt-bomb attack that had squishy sound effects, all her animation wanted to remind you that she was a cute, budding cute girl, and it all came across very.. modern day anime fetish-y in ways. She felt more about showing off her cute personality rather than the fighting style she was to represent.

MiuMiu seems like a classic anime hero character: Young (because that's what asia likes), but she's not really doing anything overly cute or desperate, and her fighting techniques / dragon relation seem like the most significant part of her presentation. She could come from a manga like 3x3 eyes, Yu Yu Hakusho, or Blue Seed without much modification.

To me, this puts her closer to someone like Kula, or even Chris, rather than Momoko.

I'd say he's getting the a pretty big piece of it judging by those pics.

snu_snu.gif

TreIII

She doesn't seem anyway near like Momoko to me. Momoko constantly drooled over big-sis breast sizes, had a butt-bomb attack that had squishy sound effects, all her animation wanted to remind you that she was a cute, budding cute girl, and it all came across very.. modern day anime fetish-y in ways. She felt more about showing off her cute personality rather than the fighting style she was to represent.

MiuMiu seems like a classic anime hero character: Young (because that's what asia likes), but she's not really doing anything overly cute or desperate, and her fighting techniques / dragon relation seem like the most significant part of her presentation. She could come from a manga like 3x3 eyes, Yu Yu Hakusho, or Blue Seed without much modification.

To me, this puts her closer to someone like Kula, or even Chris, rather than Momoko.

Ugh, THANK YOU.

Of course, I'm also a bit mad at you for even reminding me of one my least favorite KOF characters. :lol

Speaking of all the dragon imagery, though...think there is at all a possibility that she, too, has a part in all the "Dragon Power" business that'll be at the center of this arc? It'd be interesting if two "legacy" characters and then the one newbie on the Hero Team may be the ones who end up being the true heroes of this saga.

Loona

At first I thought Muimui was part of the psycho soldiers.

I would not be surprised in the very least if her ending had her getting stuck in the KoF world due to shennenigans with the final boss, then later games having her join Chin's tutelage. Maybe her dragon stuff can have a role in Kensou's ongoing story...

BadWolf

SNK is bringing a lot of freshness to the fighting styles of the new characters so I'm really not sure what to expect from the other characters, which is very exciting.

Sylvia and Kukri were very surprising and the sleeping fighting style the boy on Tung's team uses would have been a surprise as well had it not been spoiled for us.

And going by his moveset, Nelson isn't meant to replace Vanessa at all, he's closer to Heavy D.

smik

This Game has so much damn charm its crazy, With each weekly reveal its hard not to stay hyped and I love both newcomers especially kurukai?

Gameplay and graphics are coming along nicely, my prediction is a September release... Hopefully

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ugh, THANK YOU.

Of course, I'm also a bit mad at you for even reminding me of one my least favorite KOF characters. :lol

LoL, what, reminded you of... Shermie and Yashiro? Any excuse to be reminded of Shermie is fine by me!

Speaking of all the dragon imagery, though...think there is at all a possibility that she, too, has a part in all the "Dragon Power" business that'll be at the center of this arc? It'd be interesting if two "legacy" characters and then the one newbie on the Hero Team may be the ones who end up being the true heroes of this saga.

It'd be a great twist-up. Sie and Miu^2 better have a special intro together!

I would not be surprised in the very least if her ending had her getting stuck in the KoF world due to shennenigans with the final boss, then later games having her join Chin's tutelage. Maybe her dragon stuff can have a role in Kensou's ongoing story...
It's fun that she already seems to "fit" in the KoF world with this re-design. I'd find it funny if she's just written into the world plainly, like the Ikari's and Psycho soldiers. No real explanation needed... this is just someone who's a part of this world.

SNK is bringing a lot of freshness to the fighting styles of the new characters so I'm really not sure what to expect from the other characters, which is very exciting.

Aye, they both exceeded my expectations. Nelson and Luong are both pretty straight-forward melee people, and I subconsciously accepted most would be like that, or a power-use of a familiar element like Sylvie.

This Game has so much damn charm its crazy, With each weekly reveal its hard not to stay hyped and I love both newcomers especially kurukai?

Gameplay and graphics are coming along nicely, my prediction is a September release... Hopefully

I always love how SNK(P) makes everyone in the cast feel like they're SOMEONE on the design team's favorite. Really helps give me confidence that I'll enjoy basically anyone I choose to try and play.

BadWolf

So far it looks like Kukri has:

- White hair
- Pale white skin
- Yellow eyes

I'm guessing he will be the character type whose face we won't be seeing.

Also, John Grimm over at SRK clarified that he didn't say that the character was one of Those from the Past. He said that he just heard that 'the hooded man' was someone related to XIII's ending and people assumed it was someone from that one image. So he could be one of TFTP or not.

What if it's Ash?

If Silvie is channeling Lightning like Shermie, and Kukri has an earthen power like Yashiro, then....

This was posted in the other thread and I think is a really good catch, it also goes hand in hand with a new flame user being introduced in every KOF story arc so far.

Mentioned this a year or two ago but I expected the new lead to be a female flame user.

Good points, she won't be totally out of place in Shonen Jump.

3oGRFhY3NNJVikhmCY.gif

This reminds me of Orochi Chris's dp+C

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So far it looks like Kukri has:

- White hair
- Pale white skin
- Yellow eyes

I'm guessing he will be the character type whose face we won't be seeing.

I always find it really funny to attempt that kinda thing in 3D, but they're doing a decent job at it. I like the piercing eye showing out of the darkness, too.

What if it's Ash?

This would be quite weird and funny.

This was posted in the other thread and I think is a really good catch, it also goes hand in hand with a new flame user being introduced in every KOF story arc so far.

Mentioned this a year or two ago but I expected the new lead to be a female flame user.

A Make-Your-Own Knights of Orochi team would be interesting to see. I'd love it if the Flame User was a water user too, as was mentioned in that other thread. I'd love to see it be a female as you mention, Ash ALMOST had us there, ha.

Good points, she won't be totally out of place in Shonen Jump.

3oGRFhY3NNJVikhmCY.gif

This reminds me of Orochi Chris's dp+C

*nod* Aye, that's a good way to put it! I can see what you mean about O.Chris's "Houuu'ra!" dp+C, too. that (and his command unblockable) have to be 2 of my fav. moves on a character I don't play, hah.

Het_Nkik

Are we not doing new threads for new trailers anymore? I kind of miss all the people wandering in and complaining about the graphics. I think we've gone from pre-PS2 all the way up first gen PS3 graphics. I wanted to see how many trailers until people started saying it looked like a late gen PS3 game!

EDIT: Also, the sky on the highway diner stage is sooooo fucking pretty.

BadWolf

A Make-Your-Own Knights of Orochi team would be interesting to see. I'd love it if the Flame User was a water user too, as was mentioned in that other thread. I'd love to see it be a female as you mention, Ash ALMOST had us there, ha.

Yeah we were so close with Ash and yet so far away lol.

What if she changes elements when she switches masks...

TreIII

LoL, what, reminded you of... Shermie and Yashiro? Any excuse to be reminded of Shermie is fine by me!

Oh, no, I was talking about Momoko. I thought my rants against her would be pretty familiar in these parts, by now! C8

It's fun that she already seems to "fit" in the KoF world with this re-design. I'd find it funny if she's just written into the world plainly, like the Ikari's and Psycho soldiers. No real explanation needed... this is just someone who's a part of this world.

And well, that certainly could be the case for all three members of the "Guest" team. Even in Nakoruru's case, as a "Maiden of Light", she's technically more of an "embodiment" of nature that could just be reincarnated/re-awakened throughout the ages, rather than strictly needing the new Boss's Timey-Wimey/Multiverse shenanigans to appear in the KOF-verse.

Considering how many reps of Gaia's Will have been running amok in this series as it is, Nakoruru wouldn't be out of place at all. And if nothing else, it'd be funny to see what'd she think of the more overzealous Orochi clan members...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah we were so close with Ash and yet so far away lol.

What if she changes elements when she switches masks...
Between Ash and Shion, I'm sure we've got a full girl in there somewhere! Elemental Mask Shift could be awesome. I'm now turning to the "Expect the Unexpected" way of thinking...

Oh, no, I was talking about Momoko. I thought my rants against her would be pretty familiar in these parts, by now! C8

Oh, but that was Khrysler's fault! I pulled Chris into the established convo. But any convo that's not about Shermie can now go RIGHT back to Shermie, so I'll stay there for safety, haha.

And well, that certainly could be the case for all three members of the "Guest" team. Even in Nakoruru's case, as a "Maiden of Light", she's technically more of an "embodiment" of nature that could just be reincarnated/re-awakened throughout the ages, rather than strictly needing the new Boss's Timey-Wimey/Multiverse shenanigans to appear in the KOF-verse.

Considering how many reps of Gaia's Will have been running amok in this series as it is, Nakoruru wouldn't be out of place at all. And if nothing else, it'd be funny to see what'd she think of the more overzealous Orochi clan members...

It'd be great to see Naka nearly made a diety, similar to Athena's divine ancestor.

And then she can run into Rock and just reveal that he's Awaken Kaede, and then suddenly, more SNK series have relevant connections that exist within KoF! And Kagami really is just the ancestor of the Kusanagi clan...

*/fanfiction end*

Considering the god-level of Orochi, it'd make sense that he could very well have pissed off more clans... or that similar threats of his power level could have others that want to fight / protect it too.

TreIII

It'd be great to see Naka nearly made a diety, similar to Athena's divine ancestor.

And then she can run into Rock and just reveal that he's Awaken Kaede, and then suddenly, more SNK series have relevant connections that exist within KoF! And Kagami really is just the ancestor of the Kusanagi clan...

*/fanfiction end*

Well, Naka is basically a goddess at this point, thanks to merging with Gaia and all that...

But in all seriousness...if any time was the right time for SNKP and their new Chinese pals' plans to open up things and make all of SNK's properties (or at least most of them, original Southtown timeline MUST be preserved as a standalone!) a part of a larger universe/continuity, and further that goal to model things more after the MCU, now is that time.

Even as a die-hard fan of Samurai Spirits/Shodown, I'd be one of the first to admit that the timeline in that series could use a reboot, thanks to all of the retcons, plot points that don't go anywhere, and the introduction of elements from games that people didn't actually like, such as Sen or PSX Warrior's Rage. If the new game was an effective reboot that got things back on track gameplay-wise and lore-wise, it'd be already doing that series a favor.

Considering the god-level of Orochi, it'd make sense that he could very well have pissed off more clans... or that similar threats of his power level could have others that want to fight / protect it too.

Well, considering ol' boy Kamui didn't seem to have a problem with Rera/Bust-Nako's methods...who knows, eh~?

Beckx

There has to be some significance to the fact they are releasing an online enabled Last Blade 2 this year.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for Kagami to be a descendant of the Yagami clan elders than Kusanagi though?

TreIII

There has to be some significance to the fact they are releasing an online enabled Last Blade 2 this year.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate for Kagami to be a descendant of the Yagami clan elders than Kusanagi though?

That'd likely depend on if there's a feasible way to link the Hell's Gate phenomenon to Orochi, in which case, it'd tie in better to why his flames turned blue when he was evil/brainwashed. (Though, to be fair, it's also said that any Kusanagi that "fell to the dark side" could start wielding dark flames, even without Orochi's influence.)

But even there, you'd have to somehow find a link associated with Kagami getting his flame powers from Suzaku. Which would mean either all of the Kusanagi/Yagami clan heirs share this common link with that god, or none of them do!

It'd be a fun thing to try linking up to make sense of, either way.

Vyse24

From the looks of it, Kukri is either an undead mummy, or just playing the part well. I mean, he has sand powers and he has wrappings around him like hes been mummified.

Either way, I'm certain he and his team will have some partnership with the main baddie.

Tizoc

Yo hold up so SAB CA be sayin'
Sylvie uses Electricity= O. Shermie
Kuriki uses Sand/Dirt= O. Yashiro
3rd member=
giphy.gif

Could we FINALLY be gettin' our black colored flames at last?

Top Bottom