• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Sylvie's totally won me over.

Like I should hate a character like her, but I can't. I think it's because despite the weird outfit and personality she still looks like an adult and she isn't fanservicey whatsoever.

Csr

i really love the way the game looks tbh

i really hate feeling like i have to apologize for that.

backgrounds are really looking good

The backgrounds are very good. Most are better than sfv imo.
Some of the characters like kim look really rough to me though. It will probably improve until release.

Holy crap how tall is Luong? I realize she's standing on her tip-toes be still she look like she's the same height at Iori or something.

BadWolf

Athena's walk and run animations are pretty nice.

Overall she moves more like an idol now, whereas the XII version's animation was more magical girl and classic anime type.

BadWolf

Sweet, Kim has his old EX DM back with down+up+punch up kicks move in the end.

His ground and air EX Hangetsuzan seem to be the same as in XIII?

He will still be a dick with instant air Hangetsuzans again.

EDIT: Luong's EX slash kicks do 3 hits followed by a command grab.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hmm, so Luong's EX slashing kick isn't just a 3 stage hit, but it also slams the opponent down behind her after the hits? That's a nice difference I didn't expect.

Even though EX's are locked behing MAX mode, it really feels like some characters are going to want to play in MAX as much as possible. I don't mind this concept.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Okay the speed is real now.

Yeah, once you watch people using hop-back normals and properly using Kyo's air d+C, everything looks like it moves KoF. Which is definitely good.

Man, Kim doesn't sound right in this.

Neither does K'. Iori sounds weird some times, but he sounds spot on during victory screen speeches.

Kim kinda reminds me of Akatsuki in UNIEL, which... actually sounds right for him character wise, but not like his classic VA. The Atatatatatata sounds pretty right, at least.

His VA is traditionally Terry's, right? And they both sound different...

Kyo sounds odd too.

If these are new actors in lots of places, they're doing a good job... but man, so many people have been EXACTLY the same since 94/96, that any changes are a bit jarring. I never understood how Eolith managed to maintain a lot of the same talent over their KoF years, haha.

BadWolf

Iori's EX fireball causes a crumple.

Neither does K'. Iori sounds weird some times, but he sounds spot on during victory screen speeches.

K' sounds more aggressive overall but still good. Agreed on most of the rest.

Kim and Ryo just sound weak/young.

Shun

Any news on what time the tourney for the game will be on?

From what my friend is saying at KSB, it should be up in 2 hours since they're rescheduling these first coupe hours for casuals and to showcase the game for attendees at Osaka.

I am updating tournament progress and when each stream is up and the results of each tournament in the KSB 2016 tournament thread. In the mean time you can follow the brackets to see familiar names you may know.

http://challonge.com/kofaa
http://challonge.com/kofab

Yeah, once you watch people using hop-back normals and properly using Kyo's air d+C, everything looks like it moves KoF. Which is definitely good.

Kim kinda reminds me of Akatsuki in UNIEL, which... actually sounds right for him character wise, but not like his classic VA. The Atatatatatata sounds pretty right, at least.

His VA is traditionally Terry's, right? And they both sound different...

Kyo sounds odd too.

If these are new actors in lots of places, they're doing a good job... but man, so many people have been EXACTLY the same since 94/96, that any changes are a bit jarring. I never understood how Eolith managed to maintain a lot of the same talent over their KoF years, haha.

I noticed with XIII, they changed a lot of VAs mostly getting new people so that the old ones didn't have to pull double duty anymore. IIRC, Terry's VA was the same, but Kim got a new VA. Masae Yumi did Leona as usual, but they got a new VA for Vice and so on.

yagal

It is 05 AM and I'm up watching KOF :)

From what my friend is saying at KSB, it should be up in 2 hours since they're rescheduling these first coupe hours for casuals and to showcase the game for attendees at Osaka.

I am updating tournament progress and when each stream is up and the results of each tournament in the KSB 2016 tournament thread. In the mean time you can follow the brackets to see familiar names you may know.

http://challonge.com/kofaa
http://challonge.com/kofab

Thanks

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
K' sounds more aggressive overall but still good. Agreed on most of the rest.

Kim and Ryo just sound weak/young.

I always felt K' sounded cool and non-chalant. Now he sounds a little more... generic? But he's getting the lines right at least... I disliked how Shen Woo stole the "Nan'datto?!?" death line from him before, lol.

Terry looks nice and mature, but Kim and Ryo sound younger... a weird world, ha. I don't think Ryo sounds weak though, but definitely not as Angry as XIII.

I noticed with XIII, they changed a lot of VAs mostly getting new people so that the old ones didn't have to pull double duty anymore. IIRC, Terry's VA was the same, but Kim got a new VA. Masae Yumi did Leona as usual, but they got a new VA for Vice and so on.

Not a bad idea, I never took note of it that way, good looking out. I'd also guess this game has a whole new demand on the Seiyuu thanks to needing a lot more voice work overall. I haven't been able to tell if Joe is Nobuyuki Hiyama still, but I certainly hope he is, for example.

It is 05 AM and I'm up watching KOF :)

Sounds like your priorities are perfectly in order! :) It'll be about that time when the stream ends, here.

Shauni

Bit more to it than that. Dodge rolls, runs, just defending, lots of ground projectiles and rekkas, HOPS and what they do to footsies and spacing mindgames, how Projectiles work in KOF in terms of recovery and how they are used are all pretty big. KoF you see folks toss fireballs as a means in more than trying to zone all day. Also try jumping in on some fireballs in KoF and see where that gets you.

Biggest thing though...METER. Its a gauntlet. You blow your meter early and you deny yourself tools in later rounds and you feed them a full stick of butter to fry you up with. EX moves typically mean a ton as well as Max stuff. Knowing how to pace your opponent's play and conserve meter properly is pretty damned big. You try and get swaggy and its not something that kills you typically feed so much bar you regret goin for it in many cases. Just ask Ash Crimson players.

Theres a lot of mental shit that folks will need to get used to that other fighters may not use due to all this. Footsies, zoning, and meter mindgames are all very different in KoF than other fighters. If you're coming in from SF you will definitely feel it. IMO its a good setup. Plenty of offensive and defensive tools across the board that are universal to let folks compete and compete very well at high level before even diggin into any particulars with characters.

Hmm, well then. Since I highly doubt Redbox will get this, I'm not sure if I'll have an opportunity to test it out. I'll just keep an eye on videos and see what I think then. Sounds pretty different from SF.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm much more concerned about how Leona plays, rather than the bounce animation stuff. I don't really think I've seen anyone do cr.b->st.close B->f+b-> a.X-Calibur yet, which was definitely her XIII b&b.

Of course, now that you have the rush system, is this even needed? Or will I just be using cr.B->[ RUSH ] as a basic quick hit combo?

I never felt like Slash Saber had much purpose as a DM (as V Slasher did everything better), so maybe if her best ground combos lead into it (Such as cr.C->f+b->C.X-caliber->Slash Saber), it'll give more reason to use her full moveset. She does disappear during it's startup, but I think that was more cosmetic, and less useful, in the past.

- - - -

In other character news, Tung has been a punch bag, and Vice has been semi-solid, but unremarkable (solid old stuff, nothing too new). Clark has won by his XIII moveset, but has barely gotten anything out of his newly re-added moves. I haven't even seen his STOMPING command normal used for anything but kinda-poking.

I liked seeing people try to do a lot of XIII-style HD combos with Ryo. Hien Shippukyaku into Koho! Except the Koho doesn't work like that currently, hah. Looks like we need to learn new move properties!

No one looks comfortable with Luong at all, yet. I've also rarely seen her grounded hcb+k move done either.

I saw some Nelson attempts, but nothing solid yet. Banderias is almost ignored completely.

With all the ground bounces and pop-ups we've seen before, we haven't seen many from EX moves tonight, from what I've noticed.

Now lets see if they were holding back secretly gleamed knowledge for this Tournament!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Much of this is reminding me of the worse of my own play, lol. Sitting on loads of meter, not learning a lesson and going on auto-pilot even though you SHOULD have switched up by now...

And I'm surprised at how many obvious DP-on-wakeup situations there are. I feel like those are generally surprisingly hard to bait in KoF in general, but these guys are doing them constantly.

It's not that I'm hating on their obviously new-to-game gameplay, it's just that a lot of it doesn't look like the JP KOF play I'm used to from all the 2K2UM and such videos I watch on occasion.

BadWolf

Japan loving the new Athena.

Much of this is reminding me of the worse of my own play, lol. Sitting on loads of meter, not learning a lesson and going on auto-pilot even though you SHOULD have switched up by now...

And I'm surprised at how many obvious DP-on-wakeup situations there are. I feel like those are generally surprisingly hard to bait in KoF in general, but these guys are doing them constantly.

It's not that I'm hating on their obviously new-to-game gameplay, it's just that a lot of it doesn't look like the JP KOF play I'm used to from all the 2K2UM and such videos I watch on occasion.

Here's hoping we see Oogosho, Sange Tencho, Pam, Kindevu etc. soon.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Athena is surely Athena. I might try to play her more in this game, I was put off by needing to learn buttloops in XIII (plus too many others I enjoyed).

The Clark, Athena, and Terry play is already a step up. Clark still isn't using a frickin' thing outside of his XIII moveset (lol), but the use of normals and hops is very solidly "KOFism".

I am not used to seeing JP players drop BC combos like this, lol. I hope the netcode is solid when the game comes out, so I can fight some of these early pool players, lol.

Most JP players I've played on KoF are SOOOOOOOOOO good that I barely know where to start an offense. But this looks like the kinda players I could relax and learn stuff from, y'know?

TreIII

After the delight of seeing SNK being restored in full, it seems even more wrong to see the "SNK Playmore" name on the stream, now...

Sayad

If the DLC list is real, the only remaining characters I want to see are Oswald and Hawa Jai, Hawa was so much fun in XIII.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thank you!

No problem :)

If the DLC list is real, the only remaining characters I want to see are Oswald and Hawa Jai, Hawa was so much fun in XIII.

I will miss Hwa. He was a bit Casual Play character for me, and his more advanced-ish drive combos were some of my favorite to do in the game. And I love DRAGON BACKBREKKAH! He was the first person I played at Otakon, and one of the most interesting for me long into the release.

Sayad

No problem :)

I will miss Hwa. He was a bit Casual Play character for me, and his more advanced-ish drive combos were some of my favorite to do in the game. And I love DRAGON BACKBREKKAH! He was the first person I played at Otakon, and one of the most interesting for me long into the release.
I at least wish someone get an x-factor-ish super like Hwa's drinking, going crazy with him after it was so much fun.

Sylvie's totally won me over.
Like I should hate a character like her, but I can't. I think it's because despite the weird outfit and personality she still looks like an adult and she isn't fanservicey whatsoever.
Yep, she was never fanservicy, and she's more of a deranged/Harley Quinn character than she is an idol stereotype.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This Robert play is pretty nice. definitely some real tricky EX Robert-ish stuff.

I at least wish someone get an x-factor-ish super like Hwa's drinking, going crazy with him after it was so much fun.

Yup! Even if that's just a special property of someone's max mode or something, I wanna see something like that in this game. I keep wondering if a new character will have a feature like that...

Or maybe Chin's drinking will do more for him this time than before... as a Chin player, I'd have little issue with this, heh heh.

BadWolf

That Kyo was serious.

Robert is looking really solid. I dig the animation for his tatsu.

Athena is surely Athena. I might try to play her more in this game, I was put off by needing to learn buttloops in XIII (plus too many others I enjoyed).

The Clark, Athena, and Terry play is already a step up. Clark still isn't using a frickin' thing outside of his XIII moveset (lol), but the use of normals and hops is very solidly "KOFism".

I am not used to seeing JP players drop BC combos like this, lol. I hope the netcode is solid when the game comes out, so I can fight some of these early pool players, lol.

Most JP players I've played on KoF are SOOOOOOOOOO good that I barely know where to start an offense. But this looks like the kinda players I could relax and learn stuff from, y'know?

Yeah it's always more fun playing someone close to your level.

Athena's super looks like in the older KOFs but in terms of usefulness it seems to be a far cry from XIII's version (which was fully invincible and had like 4 frames start up on regular and 3 on EX).

In XIV she is constantly getting kicked out of it on start up.

yagal

Yagami's coat is open but is still follow the waist like it was a corset. Not a fan of his pant or his shoes :( I want a classic Iori

Even Kyo look like he is wearing a corset. I think it is why i like the classic Kyo outfit more. It's just more natural

Top Bottom