• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

BadWolf

Hype finish.

Going to bed now but just wanted to say that they freaking nailed the gameplay feel and speed.

Awesome tournament.

Heh, and just like that, the holes in Athena's offense are exposed!

... but thankfully, he's much more than a 1 tricky pony, and actually had ANOTHER trick to mix in that wasn't as easy to react to!

I love her teleport into command throw stuff. I felt like I never saw it enough in XIII. The rushin' Athena is real!

This still leaves me feeling that Vice needs more open up / chip damage tools again, however. SO MUCH of her actual damage depends on landing d+B or jump-ins...

Loved how they were adjusting to each other on the fly, such a great match.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I really hope they can get some animation into Ryo and Kim's clothes before release. They look like they've been washed in a gallon of starch right now. Kim's pants especially, it's always been great seeing how they'd animate in each game. And in this one it's just like... they don't :(

Really, don't do this to yourself, lol. Ryo has nice illustrated folds and such, but he's as still in the fabric as basically any other 3D model now-a-days. You'd think people would have animated past this by now...

And Kim... yeah, I'd think it'd be a priority to fake folds appearing and disappearing with texture trickery for his idle stance, but alas... don't expect it, but it would be nice.

Loved how they were adjusting to each other on the fly, such a great match.

Definitely a great showing for the game and players!

Good matches.

I've seen more than enough of Kyo and Iori. :p

Iori, Kyo, XXX - NEO ESAKA! Already, I think people are wishing to never see this combo again, lol.

It would have been nice to release a trailer after the final :)

Totally. I wanted Yuri to pop up! -_-

Amedo310

Kyo and Iori are great. Once people start using more of Kyo's rekka mix-ups, he's going to be phenomenal.

I'm going to play the shit out of those two, just like 02um and 98.

Yuri is going to be a damn problem is she is like her XIII counterpart.

BadWolf

Common dudes, we got two trailers and around 13 hours of streams this week :p

Gato ray has uploaded the tournament.

And Kim... yeah, I'd think it'd be a priority to fake folds appearing and disappearing with texture trickery for his idle stance, but alas... don't expect it, but it would be nice.

They did so much justice to most of the rest of the cast, why did they mess up Kim -_-

From the voice to the look, it just doesn't feel right. He was such a badass in XIII and other games. It always felt like he got special attention in other entries so he was the one I was worried about the least.

At least when you pick a different color he doesn't seem to look that bad, the blue version looked decent.

Other than that though I liked what I saw of his gameplay. The way the meter usage works will open up his combos to a lot of super canceling, which is great since he has a launcher super and ground bounce EX super. He will benefit a ton from super cancels in this game.

Kyo and Iori are great. Once people start using more of Kyo's rekka mix-ups, he's going to be phenomenal.

Kyo and Iori are looking super solid and very cool. Many characters are actually.

The players stuck to characters that didn't change too much so we saw a lot of those two, Kim, Ryo etc. but it was nice seeing how fast you can adjust to XIV if you have played previous KOFs.

The level of play was pretty good for day 0.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
did they hire Shinkoro to do pseudo old style art? because I don't remember old KoF art with Nakoruru in it

Boss Doggie

No it's in the Trailer 1 video, the one that showcased features, part of which was gallery.

It had the "KoF band" and Nakoruru was with the xylophones.

Het_Nkik

Really, don't do this to yourself, lol. Ryo has nice illustrated folds and such, but he's as still in the fabric as basically any other 3D model now-a-days. You'd think people would have animated past this by now...

Alright alright, instead I'll focus on some clothing animations I do like. Like the follow through on the trim of Vice's top when she does her CD.

e07un50.gif

Amedo310

I have to say that Vice's victory pose looks innocent.

Also, was there any instance of cross-ups becoming not cross-ups like in XIII? I don't think I ever saw Kyo's j.2c hitting the front of his opponent when it looked like he would hit from behind.

TreIII

So Neo_G really has been working on KOFXIV:

4Gamer: Tell us a little about what you've been working on as a member of the King of Fighters 14 development team after joining SNK.

Hidetoshi Ishizawa (Neo_G): [As Lead Game Designer] I'm in charge of adjusting and fine tuning gameplay on this title. So what I do is go to KoF 14 game designer Watanabe (third from the left in the banner) with ideas like "if we could implement such-and-such thing in this manner, the game will be more interesting." And then Watanabe is the one who'll incorporate that.

Outside of fine tuning gameplay, I also work on adjustments for the new characters. For these characters, what I'd do is suggest play elements that would be fun for fighting game fans. And then similarly, Watanabe would take those ideas, and realize them in a manner that fits the KoF flavor.

4Gamer: As the illustrious Neo_G, from here on out, will you also be working on fighting games other than KoF 14 down the pipeline at SNK?

Hidetoshi Ishizawa (Neo_G): This time around, it just so happened that the title I've been working on is KoF 14. But outside of this title, I think I'm probably going to be working on action game titles.

4Gamer: You mean games like Metal Slug, or Flying Power Disc (a Neo Geo title made by Data East), I suppose? Well, Flying Power Disc isn't owned by SNK, but you catch my drift -- you'll be working on more Neo Geo games?

Hidetoshi Ishizawa (Neo_G): Ah, you could put it that way, I suppose (laughs). Of course, originally my handle name "Neo_G" was derived from SNK's "Neo Geo" platform. With that said, I never thought I'd actually be working on SNK games one day. As we plan on reviving the old SNK namesake, from here on out there's really a lot we'd like to work on. Please look forward to great things from us.

- http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...harge-fine-tuning-king-fighters-14s-gameplay/

That didn't take long at all! And I always assumed his namesake was a ref to NeoGeo, but always good to read confirmation, at last.

Quick I'm bording a long flight plane to Mexico,
could someone hook me up with a KOF 14 match on youtube, so I can keep vid it and watch them later?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I mean, going by your Avie, I'm not surprised at this at all! ;-)

I wonder if Yuri will have any newly "borrowed" moves from other games or series this time around? She the Kyokugen member that innovates the most... will she get any references to SFIV or Mr. Karate circa XIII or something?

Alright alright, instead I'll focus on some clothing animations I do like. Like the follow through on the trim of Vice's top when she does her CD.
http://i.imgur.com/e07un50.gif[/img]

Yeah, they're so good a certain little details (using 3D clothes to sell motion in a 2D way) that it's a shame some stuff just didn't seem to make it otherwise. Athena's skirt also has the proper 2D KoF flow that follows the motion of her arm when shooting a PSYCHO BALL, and proper float when doing a Shining Crystal Bit.

Ryo's Gi tails also are NOT plastered to his legs, and flow about rather freely when he's attacking or getting hit.

I think Kim's hair could animate a bit more however, and that's a change I'd actually expect to see, since they seem to like giving bangs SOME kinda flow with most characters.

I have to say that Vice's victory pose looks innocent.
Totally reminds me of her 2k2UM victory art, I am pleased.
p_yagami.jpg

"I say goodbye to you now, but I say it with a smile."

She also sounds vicious as hell when she gets K.O'd.

Also, was there any instance of cross-ups becoming not cross-ups like in XIII? I don't think I ever saw Kyo's j.2c hitting the front of his opponent when it looked like he would hit from behind.

There were instances of ground character attacking the wrong direction when an opponent was jumping high over their head. So not THAT brand of wacky direction confusion, but another flavor of the same general idea.

- http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...harge-fine-tuning-king-fighters-14s-gameplay/
That didn't take long at all! And I always assumed his namesake was a ref to NeoGeo, but always good to read confirmation, at last.

LoL, good to read confirmation indeed. I'm glad to see he's especially making notes on the New cast, a good way for his flavor to get into the game without "Turning Kyo into a Ryu" or something silly like that.

Loona

I could imagine Yuri going for a Focus Attack parody, there's Takuma's Mouko Burai Gan (qcb + punch) from older KoFs to serve as a canon inspiration.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Common dudes, we got two trailers and around 13 hours of streams this week :p
Yup, which is why I only wanted a small tease! ;) If they really do team trailers from now on, showing Yuri as part of the upcoming AoF trailer wouldn't have been TOO bad, lol.

It really feels ridiculous that we've seen like 10 hours of streaming over the past few days... and I STILL feel like we're really sparse on info for certain characters. AND THIS ISN'T EVEN HALF THE CAST.

They did so much justice to most of the rest of the cast, why did they mess up Kim -_-

From the voice to the look, it just doesn't feel right. He was such a badass in XIII and other games. It always felt like he got special attention in other entries so he was the one I was worried about the least.

At least when you pick a different color he doesn't seem to look that bad, the blue version looked decent.

Other than that though I liked what I saw of his gameplay. The way the meter usage works will open up his combos to a lot of super canceling, which is great since he has a launcher super and ground bounce EX super. He will benefit a ton from super cancels in this game.

I keep feeling like Kim is made more to channel Korean actors like Yoon Hyun-min now:

Yoon-Hyun-Min-01.jpg

Which is a weird juxtaposition of "He's well established to look like this!" and "But he's this series FACE OF KOREA!" clash, that puts him in a tough spot. Confusingly enough, I think the Blue looks good on him because it fits the Kenshiro-inspired vibe all the ATTA ATA ATA ATA is suppose to give. ("Savior of the Century's end" Kim Costume when?)

Kim doesn't have a Garou sprite to borrow frames from this time, so I guess most of his work went into unique animation for his DMs and getting the kick-swoop attacks to properly color with his outfit. I wish things like rolling up sleeves, fading and appearing folds, ripping clothes, and bunching up pants legs didn't seem like INSTANTLY DENIED things for 3D games, lol. Alex doesn't even rip his shirt anymore in SFV. Even the companies that have more money and smaller cast don't attempt these things, so I shouldn't EXPECT it for KoF at all...

... but it'd sure be nice, right?

I could imagine Yuri going for a Focus Attack parody, there's Takuma's Mouko Burai Gan (qcb + punch) from older KoFs to serve as a canon inspiration.

As much as I feel "meh" about focus in it's own game, I'd love to see Yuri with a riff on it. I actually also hope she gets the normal special chargable fireball into Haou'shokoken, rather than a DM version, and can get another DM due to this. Hopefully, we'll see soon enough, since AoF team was next to be updated on the website...

BadWolf

Kyabetsu (The Athena player) plays his top 4 match in the second half of this video

He really showed how effective simple combos will be in XIV. The little BnB into Climax DM was doing wonders for him.

He started her off as point character (as most do in KOFXIII) but switched her to anchor in no time.

Oh man, they put him to work real quick. Wonder if he is mostly working on the new characters since the returning characters from XIII are fairly similar to their XIII versions.

In particular, very curious as to how much influence he's having on Shun'ei....

And it's very interesting that they seem to have hired him for the purpose of working on action games. He specializes in a pretty specific brand of action.

I keep feeling like Kim is made more to channel Korean actors like Yoon Hyun-min now:

Yoon-Hyun-Min-01.jpg

Which is a weird juxtaposition of "He's well established to look like this!" and "But he's this series FACE OF KOREA!" clash, that puts him in a tough spot. Confusingly enough, I think the Blue looks good on him because it fits the Kenshiro-inspired vibe all the ATTA ATA ATA ATA is suppose to give. ("Savior of the Century's end" Kim Costume when?)

Kim doesn't have a Garou sprite to borrow frames from this time, so I guess most of his work went into unique animation for his DMs and getting the kick-swoop attacks to properly color with his outfit. I wish things like rolling up sleeves, fading and appearing folds, ripping clothes, and bunching up pants legs didn't seem like INSTANTLY DENIED things for 3D games, lol. Alex doesn't even rip his shirt anymore in SFV. Even the companies that have more money and smaller cast don't attempt these things, so I shouldn't EXPECT it for KoF at all...

... but it'd sure be nice, right?

All good points, it does seem like they are trying something different with him. He looks more Korean overall and they are putting good effort into various animation. Like mentioned before, the detail of changing his DM's animation based on it hitting in the air or ground is a great touch, it not only effects the DM version but the EX DM version as well.

The thing about Kim is that his design has always been very simple but it was the art styles and animation that made him stand out and always made him look very cool.

For XIV I kinda wish they changed his design a little so he would transfer better to 3D, like they seem to have done with quite a few other characters. His transition to 3D may be one of the weakest in the cast but at the same time he is also one of the very few characters whose design didn't change much.

shaowebb

I am so hype for this game. I keep forgetting that they included mashable one button combos like persona so that new players will have easy hit confirms and beginner friendly combos and combo starters to keep them playing. Maybe now I can actively see a scene develop near me as folks will be able to get into fun stuff quick enough to stick around for the meat and potatoes. Its kind of launching during a dead zone for fighters around here too so it'll catch most of the attention.

Here's hoping. I'd LOVE to have a local KOF scene.

Loona

If SNK let's Neo G do a DMC style game :sweats:

Classic Athena could be adapted into something like that, provided they emphasize the multiple possible weapons and deemphasize the bikini she started with in the original game over the armor she could gain there...

BadWolf

I am so hype for this game. I keep forgetting that they included mashable one button combos like persona so that new players will have easy hit confirms and beginner friendly combos and combo starters to keep them playing. Maybe now I can actively see a scene develop near me as folks will be able to get into fun stuff quick enough to stick around for the meat and potatoes. Its kind of launching during a dead zone for fighters around here too so it'll catch most of the attention.

Here's hoping. I'd LOVE to have a local KOF scene.

After this week's footage I have to agree, Rush combos will be a huge plus for new players. There were a few players that did really well using them, in particular the Choi player from yesterday. Sure you're leaving a lot of damage on the table but it's still decent and dependable damage.

New players are usually put off by having to learn 3 characters but now right from the beginning they will have easy access to a meterless and meter based BnB for each of their characters.

I wouldn't expect SNK (or many other devs in general tbh) to make something at the calibur of DMC but I do think they could make an awesome side scrolling 2D/2.5D action game or beat em up for PSN/XBL.

TreIII

As said above, I'd be surprised if SNK would leap out the gate with a DMC-caliber game (or even desire such).

But I do think it would behoove SNK highly to broaden their range at least a bit. I've always wondered what a "KOF (or Samurai Spirits) Musou" would be like. And with Neo_G on board, maybe they'd be aiming for something that could be on tier with Capcom's BASARA.

Or maybe a Monster Hunter-like. It's not like Samurai Spirits or KOF's Kusanagi/Yagami backdrop isn't ripe for such.

OmegaDL50

As said above, I'd be surprised if SNK would leap out the gate with a DMC-caliber game (or even desire such).

But I do think it would behoove SNK highly to broaden their range at least a bit. I've always wondered what a "KOF (or Samurai Spirits) Musou" would be like. And with Neo_G on board, maybe they'd be aiming for something that could be on tier with Capcom's BASARA.

Or maybe a Monster Hunter-like. It's not like Samurai Spirits or KOF's Kusanagi/Yagami backdrop isn't ripe for such.

True, they could go into the history of the Kusanagi / Yasakani feud from 1800 years ago during the original rise of Orochi when he was an 8-headed serpent.

But wouldn't basically be treading on the Japanese mythos of Susanoo and the Grass Cutter legends.

But they could diversify it abit. Like the origin how the Kusanagi clan got their flames, and the conflict when the Yasakani family broke off from Kusanagi and made a pact with Orochi and how the Yasakani / Yagami flames were tainted and became purple.

I don't know if it would make for a better action game or a KOF-focused text-driven game like Danganronpa.

There was a KOF text adventure years ago on PSX called The King of Fighters KYO, and I always wanted someone to translate it so I could play it. Here is the trailer for it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXMn1BDw3j4

Maybe SNK could revisit the idea. I mean they DID make a Samurai Shodown RPG years ago.

After this week's footage I have to agree, Rush combos will be a huge plus for new players. There were a few players that did really well using them, in particular the Choi player from yesterday. Sure you're leaving a lot of damage on the table but it's still decent and dependable damage.

New players are usually put off by having to learn 3 characters but now right from the beginning they will have easy access to a meterless and meter based BnB for each of their characters.

I really like the RUSH system, not just because of the simplicity, but because they actually look useful. Some characters who don't really have a lot of combo-ability could benefit from the RUSH system. Characters like Chang come to mind. I'm remembering King of Dinosaur's RUSH combo from a recent SNK stream, and it did good damage. Being able to climax cancel the end of that super...oooh, boy. I like the sound of that.

I also like RUSH because like other auto-combo systems in other games, it does encourage good use of pressure and footsies. Of course, use of MAX mode cancelling for higher combos will trump RUSH just like it does in any other game, but RUSH looks legit useful. I like it very much.

Sesha

SNK hiring Neo_G to make an action game is huge. I wonder if they looked at what Itsuno did with DMC and wanted something similar. The major difference between the two is that Itsuno had way more directorial experience, but their pedigree outside of that is highly comparable.

If they do make a DMC style action game, then making original characters would be a good idea. Relying on their established IPs too much could limit the appeal in some cases. But if it's something like Sengoku Basara, then doing it as a SamSho or Last Blade spin off is probably a good idea.

TreIII

True, they could go into the history of the Kusanagi / Yasakani feud from 1800 years ago during the original rise of Orochi when he was an 8-headed serpent.

But wouldn't basically be treading on the Japanese mythos of Susanoo and the Grass Cutter legends.

Only somewhat, really. I mean, besides familiar names being involved, the KOF take on the Orochi legend otherwise goes on its own tangent, altogether. Somewhere between the odd gap relating to the 1800+ years when the clans worked together to take down the Orochi and its Hakkeshu, and the conflict following some 660+ years ago when the clans had their falling out? That's a lot of available ground to make for an action game of some sort. Or at least, as long as we were talking about making a game relating to KOF.

SamSho already is ripe with stuff to use, so they should go that route. I'm betting whatever they are working on is smaller though.

Still hyped.

Amedo310

DMC style game for SNK characters. Leave KOF to the fighting games and put samurai spirits in the character action game category. Kazuki and Sogetsu's story of ninja betrayal and their struggle against the Demon students of Liu Yunfei, Enja and Suija. So many different bosses like Hoahmaru, Shogun Tokugawa Yoshitora, the SS4 boss, and Amakusa.

DMC style game for SNK characters. Leave KOF to the fighting games and put samurai spirits in the character action game category. Kazuki and Sogetsu's story of ninja betrayal and their struggle against the Demon students of Liu Yunfei, Enja and Suija. So many different bosses like Hoahmaru, Shogun Tokugawa Yoshitora, the SS4 boss, and Amakusa.

Hell, you could literally do a retelling of every single game through a character action title and it'd work out just fine. So much shit happens in SamSho that's crazy, making a base game from that would be sick.

OmegaDL50

SNK going back to one of their older properties like Crystalis would be nice. Bring it up to modern standards and give it a more actiony combat system and it might be the right project to diversify from SNK's Fighting game releases.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'd love to see SNK put out a bunch of smaller releases across consoles and PC after releasing XIV. Not just modern graphic stuff, but I'd also like to see some mini passion-projects that could be things like Mini Neogeo Pocket games or a few stages of a Neo Geo graphic level project. Ubi-art level projects that let them play around in a variety of genres would be just as good to see as some pure current-gen style action games.

Oh, and a Musou. Really, gimmie a Musou. XD

I also like RUSH because like other auto-combo systems in other games, it does encourage good use of pressure and footsies. Of course, use of MAX mode cancelling for higher combos will trump RUSH just like it does in any other game, but RUSH looks legit useful. I like it very much.

Yup, I like it too. As I went on about on SRK, you could really think about it as a new tool for many characters.

They could... actually turn Maxima's into his old Maxima Scramble Rekka, lol.

Boss Doggie

holy shit. the art of nakoruru standing cluelessly in front of a keyboard was hilarious enough by itself, but it was used to advertise a kof version of the chuck e cheese band???

i hope the plot of 14 is centered around getting the band back together

edit:

oh my god nooooooo lmao

holy shit hahaahahahahah!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Crap. I look at a comparison like this

and it makes me sad all over again, that this game isn't hand drawn.

I mean, they went with 2D as a primary compass all the way into like, what 2013? Most companies of their size or lineage dumped such a thing over a decade ago. I'm much more happy thy wentas far to give usKoF XIII than I am saddened by the fact they're finally using the much more financially manageable 3D.

It takes games like Cuphead. Dragon's Crown, Hyper Light Drifter, and Rayman to make people appreciate 2D in all it's forms. I really hope SNK can hit on some 2D again later, but I think they tried hard enough to stick to it for me to not have to get all hurt about it all the time.

Has SNK commented on a PC version at all?

Nope, and I wouldn't expect it until the console version is out. The only reason I think we'd hear about it this early is if they were planning to come out the gate with crossplay or something.

They said Steam was very good to them. So it'll probably end up there eventually.

BadWolf

The thing about cell shading is that it's very anime while the most 'anime' that KOF has ever looked is KOFXII/KOFXIII. The old school sprites always had a more realistic/gritty look to them.

For all the complaints that XIV's visuals get, in style they are way more similar to the classic KOFs (colors in particular) then all the cell shading, Xrd visuals etc. that people want SNK to use.

Anyhoo, Frionel brought this up and it has been discussed on Dreamcancel, but it seems that in XIV you cannot do regular supers while in max mode. You can only do EX supers and Climax supers. So far this seems to be true going by yesterday's tournament footage, no one did a single regular super while in max mode, it was all EX supers.

This is some interesting balancing, it also means that you won't be able to do DM>CDM while in max mode, only outside of it. EXDM>CDM is still fair game though.

KiteGr

The thing about cell shading is that it's very anime while the most 'anime' that KOF has ever looked is KOFXII/KOFXIII. The old school sprites always had a more realistic/gritty look to them.

For all the complaints that XIV's visuals get, in style they are way more similar to the classic KOFs (colors in particular) then all the cell shading, Xrd visuals etc. that people want SNK to use.

Anyhoo, Frionel brought this up and it has been discussed on Dreamcancel, but it seems that in XIV you cannot do regular supers while in max mode. You can only do EX supers and Climax supers. So far this seems to be true going by yesterday's tournament footage, no one did a single regular super while in max mode, it was all EX supers.

This is some interesting balancing, it also means that you won't be able to do DM>CDM while in max mode, only outside of it. EXDM>CDM is still fair game though.
They should ether use Cell shaded graphics and follow the anime approach, or use beter textures and animations and go for the realistic aproach.
The current almost non-existent textures that make everyone look plastick are nether Anime or realistic.

IMO they should choose some heavily stylized option, as photorealistic can be very hard to be done right and very easy to screw up, and they dont seem to have the necessary skill for that.

If they wanted to follow the realistic-ish sprites of old, that ship is long gone. When I discovered the series, it was mostly known for their outdated graphics (yeah... That late), and they dont seem to get out of this stigma any time soon.

Completely agree. Kof never struck me once as a game that would look good cel shaded. Just because a franchise was formally 2d doesn't mean it needs to go the cel shaded route for it's 3d conversions.

Top Bottom