• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

TreIII

Really liking what I'm seeing on the stream. Max Activations all over the place, and most of the time, it's being used well.

Game is looking great. Really happy i can get hype about it now that it's coming to EU.

I do hope some of the character models are a work in progress. But the backgrounds look very nice.

.... These matches do make me wish for a demo version with Kyo, Iori and maybe K' locked though, aha.

BadWolf

That K' combo at 4:51:55: https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26/v/67534722

Today's stream was so good.

- These guys found how good K' is, he became a regular pick.

- Luong looks so fun. Her air special move looks very tricky and crosses up a lot and covers a good distance so could be good against fireballs.

- A triple Leona OCV for SAB CA's viewing pleasure, she is looking strong.

- Mai looks stronger than in XIII. Her EX fan is very annoying to deal with. Her new super is a great invincible reversal and if she trades with an opponent then they are left in a juggle state and she can combo them. Looks like she will dish out better damage than in XIII. I will miss her far stand D from XIII though.

- These guys really went all out with max mode activations, it is clearly designed to happen often.

- The damage overall seems nice and beefy but doesn't seem to approach anywhere near XIII levels. The biggest I think we've seen is in the 75% range or so and that is using all 5 power bars.

- Nelson is looking so damn cool, one player got a hang of him and put on a nice show. Very slick play style.

- KOD is so hype.

- Pretty much any character someone gets decent at seems to instantly look strong. So far Iori, Kyo, Kim, Terry, K' and Athena have been standing out.

In XIII the anchor character was usually the one who was good at dishing out damage with meter.

in XIV an additional factor will be important in choosing the anchor and that is how good the character is with raw max activation.

Mai for example looks to be a lot more effect in a raw activation state than Iori.

Oops :p

- Pretty much any character someone gets decent at seems to instantly look strong. So far Iori, Kyo, Kim, Terry, K' and Athena have been standing out.

Somebody needs to get decent with Chang, then. He's the one character I'm most curious about in this game.

Just sell it like Chang's just as good as he was in 98!

N4Us

Really glad to see more of the new characters. They were pretty lacking at the KVO build. KoD's gonna be annoying in the right hands and Nelson has a lot of potential.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
KoF I live again at Stunfest: https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26

That K' combo at 4:51:55: https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26/v/67534722

So much to watch through that I missed, and now it's starting up again!

- These guys found how good K' is, he became a regular pick.

- Luong looks so fun. Her air special move looks very tricky and crosses up a lot and covers a good distance so could be good against fireballs.

I think Frio just showed them all the way for K', and then they just followed, lol. Luong's air kicks seems very Yatagarasu & Shimo-esque, which is pretty nice. She looks very specifically designed to be strongest only at certain ranges. It's nice to see such a nice design from a new character.

- A triple Leona OCV for SAB CA's viewing pleasure, she is looking strong.

XD Had to look around, thanks to Sayad for helping me find it easier! The matches after that were full of good stuff too. I love that she actually has some of her HD cancel-style combo potential in her normal moves now, too. The earlier matches of the day made me think they removed d.B, st.B, f-B (Strike Arch) ss X-Calibur, but it's thankfully still there. She also seems to consistently get solid multi-hits out of wall bounce, which actually really reminds me of the blowback combos of KoF XII. With her jump options looking a bit faster and more solid than they have in recent years, and the addition of the followup back onto Grand Saber, I'm quite looking forward to getting to play her again. And hopefully not ultimately suck, heh.

Oh, and she barely looks punishable at all after Grand Saber. Wonder how true that is. Giving her such a strong way to get in and mix up will be quite welcome to me.

Mai looks stronger than in XIII. Her EX fan is very annoying to deal with. Her new super is a great invincible reversal and if she trades with an opponent then they are left in a juggle state and she can combo them. Looks like she will dish out better damage than in XIII. I will miss her far stand D from XIII though.

A bit sad her 2 hit air kick is part of her RUSH, but otherwise, yeah, giving her the cancellable target combo (while removing Terrys...) is pretty nice. I remember thinking her options looked solid in XIII too, hopefully she's just better rounded and more of a firm character now.

- These guys really went all out with max mode activations, it is clearly designed to happen often.

This is interesting to observe, especially with the complaints of KoF being too much of a "Combo Game" that are heard some time. I mean... I like it this way. It's all locked behind resource use, and I like that. I've grown more and more to see KoF as a meter-management game, so focusing on using that to make basically every character better in some way beyond just use of supers or not, I a nice idea.

- The damage overall seems nice and beefy but doesn't seem to approach anywhere near XIII levels. The biggest I think we've seen is in the 75% range or so and that is using all 5 power bars.

It was also mentioned you get only 1 "free" juggle in a combo, so nothing like Vice's Anywhere juggle loops anymore. There's RULES to the combos now, yay! I really hope this keeps infinites and Double MAX mode combos far away from the game.

- Nelson is looking so damn cool, one player got a hang of him and put on a nice show. Very slick play style.

- KOD is so hype.

Nelon is looking good in the bit I saw, looking forward to seeing more. That Insta-punch DM seems like it has startup invul and even works as a budget Anti-air. Very solid move.

In XIII the anchor character was usually the one who was good at dishing out damage with meter.

in XIV an additional factor will be important in choosing the anchor and that is how good the character is with raw max activation.

Mai for example looks to be a lot more effect in a raw activation state than Iori.

I now wonder what Athena's suppose to do mid-screen with her command throw. The XIII stuff doesn't seem to work. Really like the EX Psycho ball -> EX Teleport for mid-screen mixups, Yoga Flame -> Yoga Teleport shenanigans all day.

You also seem to gain a meter after a character K.O, much like in some older KoFs. Should really help encourage the use of Meter throught the entire rounds, rather than just saving 5 so Nameless Can destroy a person in one or 2 guesses for the last character.

Anchor should be more than "The person who has the bes HD combo!" now, and I really hope it develops into a variety of ways to play anchor now.

Any time frame for the Leona OCV?
Edit: found it, start at 03:11:25.
She can cancel Baltic Launcher's follow up attack with V-Slasher now.

I'm liking Ryo damage output, one normal + two specials combo = third of a health gauge. :)

Thanks for finding the time, much appreciated! There was some good Leona in the stream before the re-start too, so I might have assumed it was just from that time.

I'm glad she can cancel the followup, and since cancels are free so far, it makes it a real tool, rather than some random luck thing that you might see every once in a while. Also works off Wallbounce!

Ryo looks quite strong, one of our presenters mentions he seems to be the best in the current build here. I still want to see more people use Zanretsuken, and what it's EX version looks like this time.

Speaking of all that, around 4:00:00 into the stream, we had Frio showing some solid Tung Fu Rue play, also. I also think this is the first time we see his air special in action (a non-transforming Senpu spin). Looks good for crossup, probably can cancel into out of hop normals. I look forward to seeing more with him too, everyone else just spams his projectiles and gives up because he has short limb reach, lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Luong looks so good.

So uh, you can't do EX moves at all outside of max mode, correct?

I'm glad people weren't put off by her simple-ish moveset. Just going by amount of moves, I'd figure people would want to mess around with Sylvie more. Nice to see people still see depth in her, and she seems to be developing quite well.

And yes, no EX's outside of MAX mode. I'm beginning to see the method behind what easily seemed like madness when first mentioned.

Sayad

And yes, no EX's outside of MAX mode. I'm beginning to see the method behind what easily seemed like madness when first mentioned.
I thought it was clear the moment we knew about this that they're avoiding situations like Kim with a lot of meter in XIII, random ex moves with little to no consequences were awful. Now you'd at least know when they're coming.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
^ Yeah, there's that, but 90% of games would change the move properties themselves before locking EX's behind a special mode (that has a big announcement pose and glowing body to boot!)

One of the most basic uses of EX's among fighters in general is to use an EX Projectile to eat through a normal one in a fireball war, right? Or using EX DP during Wake-up for more invincibility. Taking these options out regular availability is just odd, and surely not something many fighting games would probably even consider.

I'm glad to see the change hasn't impacted varied zoning and even potential reversal EX use as much as it seemed it might at first. Making EX's work with each other in ( all the groundbounces and floats that allow other EXs) and out of combos (for things like Athena's EX projectile and EX teleport making non-jump midscreen crossups) is a nice design.

Neoxon

DecisiveDisguisedDragonfly-size_restricted.gif

That's he first thing I wanted to say too... then I looked at the pic and noticed it's 48 images character images, lol. 12 of those most likely WON'T be there! ;-)

That's still a huge amount. Should be most of the people we've seen so far.

To be honest, we really don't need the two bosses playable at all (as we all know, most bosses in fighting games are overpowered); The 48 characters from 16 teams (as well as Classic Kyo for DLC) are plenty enough.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It also appears you can only Guard Cancel CD / Roll out of STANDING block now, no escaping or blowing back out of crouch block situations.

So, I miss anything good over the past 4 hours or so?

To be honest, we really don't need the two bosses playable at all (as we all know, most bosses in fighting games are overpowered); The 48 characters from 16 teams (as well as Classic Kyo for DLC) are plenty enough.

That's an antiquated way of thinking now, though. KoF 2k2UM did a bad job at balancing it's bosses, sure (Such as making them have the same properties, but making damage INSANELY low), but beyond that, bosses in fighters are designed to be playable FIRST, and then "boss broken" as a bonus for SP / "survival" modes now.

MK bosses, SF Bosses, KI bosses, even Aksys, they're all designed to make the bosses characters for play first, and then "broken" sides are left to CPU-only stuff. Saiki in KoF XIII was a whole different character for both his forms.

There's just no reason to make character that aren't going to be played in any way now. Imagine if Guilty Gear XRD made Ramlethal, and then just decided to make her boss only? (Would suck for me, as she's my main in the game, lol) What a waste of resources that'd be, especially when there's many characters people want in the series that they could spend the dev time putting in, rather than a fully unplayable boss.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This stream has done a LOT more for Leona than any of the previous ones; Which of course I'm glad to see. It's weird that V-Slasher actually seems to not be 10000% invincible now, however. There was a time when 2 Leona's did the move at the exact same time, and they both clashed and reset to hitting each other with the confirm hit, on the ground. Slash Saber DM looks great for confirming off almost anything now, however, which is pretty nice too.

I've seen GC rolls out of crouch block. Probably just means you have to let go of down before you press (back) A+B.

They mention that you can't hold DF or DB to activate it. So you have to commit to standing to some degree to get it to work; no downward direction on the D-pad allows it.

BadWolf

Somebody needs to get decent with Chang, then. He's the one character I'm most curious about in this game.

Just sell it like Chang's just as good as he was in 98!

One guy on stream wasn't half bad with him.

Someone asked the commentator if Chang was weak and he replied that not at all, he said his normals are really good with good range and his play style is similar to how it was in past KOFs. Said that if you played him before then he should feel familiar and solid.

I'm liking Ryo damage output, one normal + two specials combo = third of a health gauge. :)

1 bar max combo = 50% or more damage

Two 1 bar combos might basically be a KO.

This damage output seems broken tbh, no other character comes close to do this kind of damage for 1 bar.

Actually, the damage output for the most part seems kind of uniform between characters, aside from Ryo.

So, I miss anything good over the past 4 hours or so?

Well for one thing max mode usage was evolving quite a bit, you could see it especially in the set between Frionel and Xiao Hai.

It seems that it might be more useful to use it for situational combo activations and set ups rather than just regular combo extensions. Tbh I'm kind of feeling that the damage output with BnB (non max mode) combos isn't that far off from combos using max mode, might be due to how damage scaling works in XIV. There also seems to be less in the way of unscaled damage in DMs.

Taking that into account it may be better to use max mode for activations via lights, overheads, activations on block for mixups etc. This aspect of it is looking kind of nuts now that activation costs just one bar. Landing great damage from overheads etc. is happening really often (Kim is laughing all the way to the bank).

Furthermore, what people were doing more of rather just activating after a hit confirm is activating into set ups after causing air resets and on block and then proceeding into set ups. The cost of doing this is cheap since if your set up gets blocked then you are usually safe and still have access to a couple of EX moves.

Also, they were doing 'option select' style activations by inputing BC during whiffed normals, Street Fighter footsie style.

Some random stuff:

- Terry's EX shoulder charge move has guard point
- Athena is looking really strong, her zoning game seems really freaking annoying and effective. Her fireball super can shoot at an upwards angle and she can do it while her regular fireball is still out on screen.
- A commentator mentioned that Leona's EX Grand Saber is now fully invincible? Seems they are pretty impressed with how strong she is and said that her damage output is really good.
- There was a good Tung player. Tung's EX fireball causes a counter wire-like wall bounce.
- Was wondering why Bandeiras' smoke ground pound super does low damage, turns out it's a launcher. He can juggle after it for further damage.
- No one seems to be able to get anything going with Clark yet.
- People seem to be loving Luong. They kept requesting players to pick her. The commentator asked Frionel to pick her and he said "I just did a moment ago!" and the commentator was like "they want more!".
- K' can combo into his knee from lights, and into the spike kick from there. Does really nice damage.
- A lot of moves seem to have lost invincibility (Kula's light DP, Kim EX air Hangetsuzan, Leona's V-Slasher, K's EX DM etc.).

Athena really looks like she'd work very well in any position in a team.

They mention that you can't hold DF or DB to activate it. So you have to commit to standing to some degree to get it to work; no downward direction on the D-pad allows it.

Yeah you have to block low first then go back to neutral/forward/back for your cancel, but it's not like you can't actually use guard cancel against lows at all.

This damage output seems broken tbh, no other character comes close to do this kind of damage for 1 bar.

his fireball seems like garbage in neutral now, though. And with his stubby range, maybe they're upping his damage to make him more Takuma-esque.

Of course, he's been around a long time and is probably Japan's favorite KOF character, maybe they just like him and want him up there in Iori-tier, lol

One guy on stream wasn't half bad with him.

Someone asked the commentator if Chang was weak and he replied that not at all, he said his normals are really good with good range and his play style is similar to how it was in past KOFs. Said that if you played him before then he should feel familiar and solid.

I look at Chang and he seems marginally different from his past self. Like, his iron ball is twice as big as it was in previous games, which is why some of his standing normals are now different.

Chang's old standing C seems to be replaced with the move where Chang swings the ball in a upward diagonal motion, complete with seemingly super long recovery. I'm guessing the developers didn't want him to have a shanding normal that occupies more than half the screen, so they made it like a very situational command normal. Also his close.C is a big overhead smash with the iron ball that knocks down? Also weird. It seems like lights are still his main combo starters.

He still has his old jumping C and his jumping CD, which should be better now that his iron ball is way bigger. His Max mode potential is also untapped, we don't know much of a difference his EX moves will have on his overall game.

He seems to have been changed to compensate for the new system of this game, and that makes me really curious. Does he still play the same as he did? Or will his changes make him a bigger threat in ways he never used to be? Even if he turns out to be bad, it won't be a dealbreaker for me. It's a long wait until August.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
1 bar max combo = 50% or more damage

Actually, the damage output for the most part seems kind of uniform between characters, aside from Ryo.

Yeah, I wonder how much it will all change. I also kinda get the feeling people have found Ryo's "Golden Path" a bit earlier, and all characters might be more comparable if you know what order to use their EX's in off solid hits.

Well for one thing max mode usage was evolving quite a bit, you could see it especially in the set between Frionel and Xiao Hai.

It seems that it might be more useful to use it for situational combo activations and set ups rather than just regular combo extensions. Tbh I'm kind of feeling that the damage output with BnB (non max mode) combos isn't that far off from combos using max mode, might be due to how damage scaling works in XIV. There also seems to be less in the way of unscaled damage in DMs.

Thanks for the rundown, first of all. Everyone kept asking "Why use anything but MAX if the damage is so different?!?", but I am feeling like it's more situational and not THAT big a difference, as well. Hopefully, in the end, different characters benefit in different ways, so it's not just ALL a MAX fest.

Taking that into account it may be better to use max mode for activations via lights, overheads, activations on block for mixups etc. This aspect of it is looking kind of nuts now that activation costs just one bar. Landing great damage from overheads etc. is happening really often (Kim is laughing all the way to the bank).

I love how similar Kim and Luong's Overheads feel, heh. Gives them a bit more of a connection. I do wonder if the constant MAX is something we'll see in developed play, or if saving meter for other situations will make the bursting less frequent...

Furthermore, what people were doing more of rather just activating after a hit confirm is activating into set ups after causing air resets and on block and then proceeding into set ups. The cost of doing this is cheap since if your set up gets blocked then you are usually safe and still have access to a couple of EX moves.

Also, they were doing 'option select' style activations by inputing BC during whiffed normals, Street Fighter footsie style.

It's an interesting thing to have to go through some setups to get into a mode that's basically like every other fighter's neutral stage. I do think this emphasizes how important meter management is in KoF, which is an aspect I rather enjoy about it.

Some random stuff:

- Terry's EX shoulder charge move has guard point
POWAH GUARD! Can deal with this.
- Athena is looking really strong, her zoning game seems really freaking annoying and effective. Her fireball super can shoot at an upwards angle and she can do it while her regular fireball is still out on screen.
Surprised she can even do it in the air. Her DMs can both be done anywhere on screen, pretty nice Athena. Still kinda miss the Phoenix Arrow DM, heh heh.
- A commentator mentioned that Leona's EX Grand Saber is now fully invincible? Seems they are pretty impressed with how strong she is and said that her damage output is really good.
I notice she seems to hop rather than run for the EX version. That's pretty nice, like her low-profile-under-projectile dashes in older games. She REALLY seems to hurt, and I'm loving that so far.

I can take a slightly worse V-Slasher if it means all her other tools are more solid and useful.
- There was a good Tung player. Tung's EX fireball causes a counter wire-like wall bounce.
Everyone loves his Sho'ha projectile, it kinda surprises me. It was always the dash punches that I liked ending combos with more...

Need to find all the Tung play, I haven't gotten a bead on his full play yet, everyone seems to be using the wrong jump-ins and stuff, much like the Clark Play. He doesn't have his Real Bout / NGBC style energy on normals, so I wonder how they compensate in the end...
- Was wondering why Bandeiras' smoke ground pound super does low damage, turns out it's a launcher. He can juggle after it for further damage.
This is one of the things I saw when I came back, too. Looks very nice, good to see someone other than Kim that has a DM that can be used for extensions.
- No one seems to be able to get anything going with Clark yet.
They don't even know to use the different enders to his Running Grab. ARGH. I really wanna see how the ROLLLLLLLLLLING looks, it was always my favorite part about that. I'd assume he can Super Cancel the followup to his Flashing Elbow too, but never saw anyone try. If he can, that'll help him a lot.
- People seem to be loving Luong. They kept requesting players to pick her. The commentator asked Frionel to pick her and he said "I just did a moment ago!" and the commentator was like "they want more!".
I really am kinda surprised. People still talk about how limited King's moveset is, I figured they'd treat Luong the same. It doesn't seem to even come up. Sexy playful mature woman just WORKS I guess, and I'm happy for her, hah.
- K' can combo into his knee from lights, and into the spike kick from there. Does really nice damage.
I love how Kula and K' both have a special double-forward state to their slides now, to make the DP followups work more solidly. Chara's are getting a lot of solid command normals off lights here. Really makes me want to see how Maxima turns out!
- A lot of moves seem to have lost invincibility (Kula's light DP, Kim EX air Hangetsuzan, Leona's V-Slasher, K's EX DM etc.).
Yeah, it's freaky, but seems like a nice conscious decision to balance out proper use of the expanded normals and stronger pressure tools.

Athena really looks like she'd work very well in any position in a team.
This is good, as I always wanted to see her get more use in XIII. She seemed to have a great mix of tools, but much like Robert, it didn't matter all that much. And then she became the ButtloopGoddess, and *shrug*

Yeah you have to block low first then go back to neutral/forward/back for your cancel, but it's not like you can't actually use guard cancel against lows at all.
Yeah, understood. I still think it presents a bit more risk against gattling'd lows, and might suck a bit for someone like Leona, who will have to lose part of her charge

his fireball seems like garbage in neutral now, though. And with his stubby range, maybe they're upping his damage to make him more Takuma-esque.

From the other day, many were actually saying his Fireball seemed like it stayed out very long, and that the travel time on the C version looked better than normal. He makes pretty nice conversions off his parry too.

Of course, he's been around a long time and is probably Japan's favorite KOF character, maybe they just like him and want him up there in Iori-tier, lol

Stealthy way to raise hypre for AoF 4, you see! He and Terry both seem to have pretty nice tools. Maybe they are trying to make them both a bit more beloved in the KoF-verse, where they both often seem to fade into the mix a bit.

Chang's old standing C seems to be replaced with the move where Chang swings the ball in a upward diagonal motion, complete with seemingly super long recovery. I'm guessing the developers didn't want him to have a shanding normal that occupies more than half the screen, so they made it like a very situational command normal. Also his close.C is a big overhead smash with the iron ball that knocks down? Also weird. It seems like lights are still his main combo starters.
I think we've seen him cancel most of the worse start normals into things now. I like that he seems to be a character designed to fool people into running into wrecking ball abuse. People in stream were also impressed with his Spinning Chip damage.

He seems to have been changed to compensate for the new system of this game, and that makes me really curious. Does he still play the same as he did? Or will his changes make him a bigger threat in ways he never used to be? Even if he turns out to be bad, it won't be a dealbreaker for me. It's a long wait until August.

You're always patient and positive with these things, which I find pleasant to see in fighting game discussion, lol. ("F* this game!" style commentary can get so tiring, lol. And you see so much of it whenever a character is changed in ANY way, lol.)

It's really freaky to me how we've had DAYS of streaming now, and we're still in the dark about a lot. And this build is still missing over half the cast. Feels so, so good.

BadWolf

Yeah his fireball doesn't seem nearly as good as in XIII, especially when it comes to comboing, but it's probably because that aspect of him was too damn good in that game and in XIV the cost of super cancels is very cheap so they adjusted him accordingly. Supercanceling his hard DP into a regular DM also seems iffy.

His far D not being the same as in XIII also hurts. Though the new one is good for stopping jump ins and covers an angle his normals didn't before.

On the plus side his EX moves seem to flow better when it comes to combos, especially mid screen, and his parry seems faster? Probably the same but it just felt like it. Oh and the new sound and green spark for parries in XIV feels very satisfying.

Also, his new regular throw causes a hard knockdown that gives him forever to set something up.

I look at Chang and he seems marginally different from his past self. Like, his iron ball is twice as big as it was in previous games, which is why some of his standing normals are now different.

He still has his old jumping C and his jumping CD, which should be better now that his iron ball is way bigger. His Max mode potential is also untapped, we don't know much of a difference his EX moves will have on his overall game.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how he ends up being used but so far people are just probably lost with him since he's so different to every one else and seems to rely on single hits and short combinations rather than the long stuff people are used to with the rest of the cast.

Regarding his new standing C where he spins around with that ball, in today's stream someone did the move as an anti-air and it hit as a counter hit, this resulted in a counter wire wall bounce (ala Daimon's counter hit jumping CD in XIII).

From his EX moves, we saw his charge move where he reels back and then hits with the ball in a previous showing. Both the regular and EX versions of the move have guard point on start up but the EX version also launches the opponent really high. Perfect for hitting with his anti-air super for big damage.

Warxard

Banned
Better than Garou? 98? LB2? Why?

I consider Real Bout FF2 the definitive Fatal Fury fighting game. While Garou is spectacular, Real Bout FF2 definitely feels like the series 'Super Turbo' installment.

Feints, Breakshots, MID-AIR TURNS, the plane fighting system of Fatal Fury at it's finest, chain combos, possibly the greatest Fatal Fury roster of all time.

Rick being fucking stupid is the only blemish on an otherwise perfect title.

Sayad

Sylve's CD might be one of the best in the game, low invl CD and that annoying sound lol! If she have decent conversions after wall bounce, I can see it being very spammable.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Poor Leona's getting stomped in the tourney prelim rounds, Kims proving that Kim is best Kim since Kim. Lvl 1 DM into LVL 2 Advance Cancel into Combo into Lvl 1 DM again, lol.

The main stuff will be on the main stage in less than an hour, they're fighting their way to get to the top now. It's been fun watching, and there's even been some decent chara variety, even in these higher-stake times. I saw Tung had some kinda 2 hit jumping kick jump in...

Sylve's CD might be one of the best in the game, low invl CD and that annoying sound lol! If she have decent conversions after wall bounce, I can see it being very spammable.

A lot of stuff is going over fireballs actually, like Terry's Far D, Kyo's far D, etc. Anything with a hop-looking motion seems to actually hop a lot of low-ground stuff. There seems to be a lot of desire to make aggression through normals and certain specials fairly safe, which I personally like. Full Invincibility is pretty low, even on things that normally have it, but tools that properly counter certain options seem to be abundant.

People are getting the hang of the juggles here already. Double juggle states from the same move don't seem to exist... but that doesn't mean you can't EX juggle, then do the non EX of the move for MORE juggle, and then land a DM (as shown by Kyo a second ago now).

Tizoc

I consider Real Bout FF2 the definitive Fatal Fury fighting game. While Garou is spectacular, Real Bout FF2 definitely feels like the series 'Super Turbo' installment.

Feints, Breakshots, MID-AIR TURNS, the plane fighting system of Fatal Fury at it's finest, chain combos, possibly the greatest Fatal Fury roster of all time.

Dont forget bob~

I like to think Real Bout FF2 is the Alpha 2 to Garou's 3rd Strike. One is more spectacular with a wider breath of combat mechanics, but I love the old cast, the old look, the old breakshots and chain combos

Wow, so much info... I guess I should make time today to go and watch these streams that has everyone's jaw to the floor. Is MAX mode starting to sound like an end all be all for combos in this game, to the point that your traditional Normals->Special->DM is starting to sound like a waste of meter?

Sayad

A lot of stuff is going over fireballs actually, like Terry's Far D, Kyo's far D, etc. Anything with a hop-looking motion seems to actually hop a lot of low-ground stuff. There seems to be a lot of desire to make aggression through normals and certain specials fairly safe, which I personally like. Full Invincibility is pretty low, even on things that normally have it, but tools that properly counter certain options seem to be abundant.
Ground fireball seem easier to go over but things like Athena's seem harder to hop over now, I like it.

As for Sylvie, a CD with low invl is a bigger deal than low invl command normals, it's whiff/hit cancel-able and causes a wall bounce, that and it's a fucking drop kick. :3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wow, so much info... I guess I should make time today to go and watch these streams that has everyone's jaw to the floor. Is MAX mode starting to sound like an end all be all for combos in this game, to the point that your traditional Normals->Special->DM is starting to sound like a waste of meter?

Max is looking very strong, but there's some nice stuff about it:

- You can't use a lvl 1 DM while in MAX. The only thing you can use in MAX are EX's and EXDMs, which consume the rest of the Max + another bar. However, you CAN use EX's to set up juggles for normal lvl 1 DMs to his while the opponent is still floating, after MAX is over.

- Lvl 1's can be Adv. Canceled into EXDMs. For most, this is just an extra damaging option, but for people with Setup / Juggle DMs, this could set up another combo.

- MAX is being used a lot for Footsie activation / Stronger Zone option use right now. So it's not just pure combos, but also for things like Athena's Slow, Multi-hit EX Fireball as a setup for EX teleport to on-ground crossup.​

In the end, it looks like it'll be used a LOT, but it also looks to have variety. It's ultimately a combo-focused option, but it's also a nice way to give every character something of a Super-mode that makes their specific archetype better during that time too, which is nice.

Ground fireball seem easier to go over now but things like Athena's seem harder to hop over now, I like it.

As for Sylvie, a CD with low invl is a bigger deal than low invl command normals, it's whiff/hit cancel-able and causes a wall bounce, that and it's a fucking drop kick. :3

Yeah, it's a nice mix, and helps even make the projectile game a bit more nuanced. I love that in KoF, having a fireball doesn't just make you a god-tier zoner, ha.

And yeah, I agree. Sylvie's CD reminds me of Shermie's old one. And one of Clark's. Grounded Drop Kicks have always been fun in KoF, lol. I'm glad to see new chara's getting excellent versions of these kinda tools, it really helps make it feel like they *fit* into the game, rather than being some new creation from a nearly unrelated product (as new characters from SFIV different design teams often seem to feel).

Sayad

Wow, so much info... I guess I should make time today to go and watch these streams that has everyone's jaw to the floor.

Tournament is still going on, losers semifinals now, I think:
https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26

Is MAX mode starting to sound like an end all be all for combos in this game, to the point that your traditional Normals->Special->DM is starting to sound like a waste of meter?
Nope, you'd probably need it for max damage combos if you have enough meter, but there's no extra cost for canceling special moves into DMs, so we still see a lot of those, even more so than confirms into Max mode stuff right now.

stn

Warxard said:

RBFF2 is my favorite right after Fatal Fury Special. I guess I just like the fact that it plays similar to SF2. Also has a great roster and great music. I still watch all the new GGPO matches that are uploaded.

BadWolf

I was looking for this but never caught it on stream. Is it like EX fan in 13, just really fast and goes through other projectiles?

The XIV version is new and pretty interesting, it's two hits instead of one. After the fan hits it actually bounces off the opponent and then hits them from above, there is a gap between the two hits so it's a trap and also gives Mai time to run in and start pressure while this is happening.

One player put her on anchor and went nuts with these using raw max activations.

Top Bottom