• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

those are reasonable

hcb f hcf to DP into Super is already supposed to help you

Any command that combines half-circles with pointed directional presses needs to die.

They've always sucked in KOF. They've always sucked in Guilty Gear.

Reasonable? I guess. Natural? Definitely not.

Would anything be lost if they got rid of them? Other than OG purists' nostalgia, nope.

Would anything be lost if they got rid of them? Other than OG purists' nostalgia, nope.

Some option selects against ambiguous roll mix-ups on wake-up and safe jumps/cross-ups would, stop assuming they don't matter. If people can't do the motions it's not the game's fault. Motions don't have to be "natural", you practice those.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
you are good people

Heh heh, my brother and I use the "Kanon's trip through heaven and hell" dialogue as daily conversation choices! And somehow "The magic Randy has is a gift I gave him!" from his master also made it way into there...

This is when you know shit's about to get REAL!

I imagine Beni is actually trying to continue flying into oblivion, instead of landing from the throw!

I haven't been keeping up but are the command motions the same as before? Like I am gonna need to do hcb,f, hcb to do a dp into super? I am hoping they simplify the commands to something more reasonable.

You're talking about the "long-cuts" from XIII? We... have no idea yet, actually. Noone's said much about that yet.

Most motions are simple KoF style ones overall. And then you have characters like Nelson, who'se 2 motion specials, and then an army of "command normals".

I really hope XIII's input interpreter is refined or remade. It's the only game where my dashing f,hcf throws lead not to THROWS, but DPs, and I quite dislike that, especially on Vice.

bah, what good is a daimon trailer if they don't show off what sound he makes when he runs

Also, his victory pose much invoke the sound of a 16 bit nuclear explosion!

You're talking about the "long-cuts" from XIII? We... have no idea yet, actually. Noone's said much about that yet.

They're older than that, hcb f + button will give you a DP even in 98, DP into Orochinagi as hcb f + C hcf C even works in 2002UM.
Same for qcb hcf as qcbx2 f.

Edgeward

Heh heh, my brother and I use the "Kanon's trip through heaven and hell" dialogue as daily conversation choices! And somehow "The magic Randy has is a gift I gave him!" from his master also made it way into there...

I imagine Beni is actually trying to continue flying into oblivion, instead of landing from the throw!

Most motions are simple KoF style ones overall. And then you have characters like Nelson, who'se 2 motion specials, and then an army of "command normals".

I really hope XIII's input interpreter is refined or remade. It's the only game where my dashing f,hcf throws lead not to THROWS, but DPs, and I quite dislike that, especially on Vice.

Also, his victory pose much invoke the sound of a 16 bit nuclear explosion!

I just mean in general like if some super are gonna be half circle motions x 2. Since I see that combos are shorter in comparison to 13, I am hoping it's more accessible to me who really likes the series but never had the dexterity to be any good. Of course that is coupled with the lack of really good online play, but they say they are paying close attention to that so hopefully they do get the infrastructure working

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
They're older than that, hcb f + button will give you a DP even in 98, DP into Orochinagi as hcb f + C hcf C even works in 2002UM.
Same for qcb hcf as qcbx2 f.

But they never messed me up in normal combos before! Though I'd much rather just see the inputs cleaned up so such things wouldn't be needed ultimately. I love default SNK motions, and I think there's a reason some devs, even when they don't need to, adapt them. Not just because of nostalgia, but because they actually make sense for some motions, and do a good job of not overlapping in general.

I just mean in general like if some super are gonna be half circle motions x 2. Since I see that combos are shorter in comparison to 13, I am hoping it's more accessible to me who really likes the series but never had the dexterity to be any good. Of course that is coupled with the lack of really good online play, but they say they are paying close attention to that so hopefully they do get the infrastructure working

Double half circles? Yeah, they're there. They're "Twice the motion of the normal move" basically, so they'll probably never change.

However, this game has a mash A / Weak attack "Rush Combo" system that'll let you get 4 normals and a special (without meter) and a super (with meter), so that should help close the gap at least some.

And of course, some characters should be all simple, Capcom-style motions, so that might assist a bit as well.

The thing about many SNK motions is that they're not just for dexterity that experts like: the characters had such huge movelist, they needed to have executions that didn't overlap with other motions. There was some REALLY dumb stuff in the old days that.. just made no sense, lol. But now, a lot of it is more normalized, and there aren't so many chara-exclusive crazy motions floating around.

Online wise... yeah, not getting hope TOO high until we hear some facts!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CiTbaUZU4AAZKwW.jpg:orig

Defuser

Is anybody disappointed how SNK is treating Kensou in terms of his story,promotion and potential? He was a goofy guy who will never get his girl athena, then the Nest Saga happen with the lost of his powers and regaining back being more powerful which caught Ron's attention and was hinted and building up throughout the Ash Saga. So now with XIV happening with finally seems to be related to the some Chinese mythos but in the end we got a new heroes in Team China. Chin and Athena got revealed in media promotion videos and pics but not Kensou. What the hell is going on.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That clipping on Mai's thigh ruin it.

Honestly, as HUGE as her chest looks in this, Clipping was the last thing I was noticing. We've seen hours of gameplay, but I don't remember them looking that large before. *shrug*

Why is everyone suddenly so sensitive to clipping now anywho? I don't love it at all, but snappy motions (like Kachosen here) generally do produce some, since physics have a hard time coping with such actions. Would have been nice to see a clip-less frame, however.

Is anybody disappointed how SNK is treating Kensou in terms of his story,promotion and potential?

I mean, he's being treated like any other 3rd person in a team right now. Basically every team (save for a select few) has a major player that hasn't been revealed until much later.

It's way too early to worry about how they're treating him in this story, so far. The quality of his moveset, the look of his entire outfit, the idea on whether they tie him into any of the new characters or not... all these things will influence how well they treat him.

Loona

Is anybody disappointed how SNK is treating Kensou in terms of his story,promotion and potential? He was a goofy guy who will never get his girl athena, then the Nest Saga happen with the lost of his powers and regaining back being more powerful which caught Ron's attention and was hinted and building up throughout the Ash Saga. So now with XIV happening with finally seems to be related to the some Chinese mythos but in the end we got a new heroes in Team China. Chin and Athena got revealed in media promotion videos and pics but not Kensou. What the hell is going on.

Considering he was optional player 2 in his source game, he managed to get quite a bit of focus in the KoF series. We don't even know much about the new protagonist Shun'ei, so for all he know Kensou may have yet some connection to him or the overarching plot that involves him. An earlier trailer had Tung and Chin talking, so who knows if those mentor characters can figure out some common ground that assists the pending issues of their students.
And I'm still rooting for Mui Mui to help Kensou get over Athena, it's just asking to happen.

BadWolf

Them draw game animations, can't wait to try MuiMui.

Also, new shot:

Ralf has come a long way since his first reveal, the arms/muscles in particular look so much better. Is that a new punch normal/special? Looks like he and Clark will be sharing very little this time around, if anything.

BadWolf

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks man!
NP. As hungry as we are for gameplay, I was shocked no one around the web seemed to post the link with much haste. Guess it's just time of day...

Just saw Tung's climax DM on their stream, it's glorious.

Agreed, I had no idea what to expect... And then I see THAT, lol. Like a moment out of a Stephen Chow movie, heh heh. Approved! (even if I will miss a Kamehameha).

Shito

I must admit that it's the first time I'm hit by that "hey it has actually gotten really better, looks quite ok now!" feeling some of you got on the recent trailers.
I'm not too much of a KOF player, but I could see myself watching some tournaments of it at least now. ^^

BadWolf

Ryo, that damage O_O

The player did sC, f+A [activation] sC, EX fireball, EX gale kick, DP

About 50% damage, for 1 power bar.

Just saw Tung's climax DM on their stream, it's glorious.

Yeah that was great, KOD's grab SDM looks awesome too.

I must admit that it's the first time I'm hit by that "hey it has actually gotten really better, looks quite ok now!" feeling some of you got on the recent trailers.
I'm not too much of a KOF player, but I could see myself watching some tournaments of it at least now. ^^

Welcome aboard :p

BadWolf

Holy shit, the damage from Vice from that Climax DM.

Also, is that stage new? Looks really good.

It was EX DM canceled into Climax DM, the damage is rightfully chunky for 5 bars.

Yeah, that's Yagami team's stage. We saw a hint of it before in a trailer but this is the first time we see it in full.

In light of how they can't have chars drawing blood like back in the MVS days? That kind of effect they put on Iori and co.'s attacks is a nice compromise and touch.

I'm been playing the early KoF game these past few weeks and Heidern and Leona would draw blood when they attack. Not sure if Iori or Mature did, tho.

TreIII

I'm been playing the early KoF game these past few weeks and Heidern and Leona would draw blood when they attack. Not sure if Iori or Mature did, tho.

Oh, they definitely did, at least in the Japanese MVS originals. For example, check out any version of Iori's Maiden Masher DM from 95 up to 98 (especially the Super versions from 96-98)!

Though it was an element that was toned down as the series went on, time used to be that pretty much any slashing attack or strangling throw in KOF would draw blood in some way. Even Daimon's classic choking throw used to do that around 94-95, at least.

Top Bottom