• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Nemesis_

Umm, I mean how do I get to the Court of Miracles? ;_;

EDIT: Found it. How embarrassing that I missed on area of the map completely. These levels are so big!

Where does this rank among KH games? Best on handhelds for sure, but how about compared to the PS2 ones?

Maybe better than the first one but not as good as the second?

And 25-30 hours is pretty good. I was going to wait but after reading this thread maybe I should pick it up!

Also, is this graphically on par with the PS2 versions and BbS?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Where does this rank among KH games? Best on handhelds for sure, but how about compared to the PS2 ones?

And 25-30 hours is pretty good. I was going to wait but after reading this thread maybe I should pick it up!

I actually like BBS a little bit better and graphically I also think BBS looked better, slightly.

Sounds like only Quasimodo and the male gargoyles' voice actors returned for the Hunchback world. A shame, but it's to be expected when 2 of them have passed away and the other two (Demi Moore and Kevin Kline) are living large.

Nemesis_

Wait, so that definitely was Jason Alexander (aka George Costanza) voicing the Gargoyle?

And does anyone know if the Tron characters are voiced by their respective Tron Legacy counterparts?

Wait, so that definitely was Jason Alexander (aka George Costanza) voicing the Gargoyle?

And does anyone know if the Tron characters are voiced by their respective Tron Legacy counterparts?

Olivia Wilde reprises her role. IMDB says Sam is also his original voice actor but that Jeff Bridges is (obviously) not voicing Kevin or CLU.

Gradivus

Is BbS that important that you need to play it to understand some of the factors within this game?

This is my first KH game (I've watched friend's play through 1 & 2), so I just want to make sure before picking this up on Thursday.

Thoraxes

Is BbS that important that you need to play it to understand some of the factors within this game?

This is my first KH game (I've watched friend's play through 1 & 2), so I just want to make sure before picking this up on Thursday.

While I can't speak for this game alone, BBS does almost completely change the perspective of what happened in all the games that came before it.

I don't see the problem as the review copy will remain unsold. Would it be different if he wrote ''My friend is selling me the extra stuff from the MoM edition.'' or ''I'm ebaying the stuff from the MoM''? The result would be the same, he would get the case and other stuff but not the game. Why is he forced to buy the whole MoM edition just because he received a review copy?

Yeah IMO it would. You normally get review copies for free and noone forced him to buy the MoM edition. By selling the game he gets 40$ thx to the review copy. But IMO we should stop this argument, don't want to derail this thread anymore.

Atmej has it right. I am not, and would never sell my review copy -- that's a big no-no. I'm choosing to spend my own money on a Mark of Mastery edition because I still want the extras, but I'm selling the sealed game inside the MoM edition (i.e. NOT my review copy) to a friend privately because I don't need to own two copies of the game. Square's still getting my $55 above and beyond the review copy they sent me. It's no money out of their pockets, and as long as I'm not selling my review copy for a profit, it shouldn't really matter what I choose to do beyond that.

It would be the same if a friend bought me the regular edition as a gift, but I wanted the MoM edition extras anyway, so I bought my own MoM edition and then sold my extra copy of the game. No difference. Plus, it's not like the fact that I got a review copy from Square is going to influence my review in any way.

C.T.

Atmej has it right. I am not, and would never sell my review copy -- that's a big no-no. I'm choosing to spend my own money on a Mark of Mastery edition because I still want the extras, but I'm selling the sealed game inside the MoM edition (i.e. NOT my review copy) to a friend privately because I don't need to own two copies of the game. Square's still getting my $55 above and beyond the review copy they sent me. It's no money out of their pockets, and as long as I'm not selling my review copy for a profit, it shouldn't really matter what I choose to do beyond that.
Sorry Maverick, didn't want to question your integrity and jumped the gun too soon. I apologize k?

Famassu

I also think BBS looked better, slightly.
Crazy talk. :O I think Dream Drop Distance is pretty much on par or at least closer to the PS2 games than Birth By Sleep, which is one of those PSP games that look almost as good as good-looking PS2 games but clearly PSP can't quite produce graphics of that level. I dunno, maybe 3DS's small-ish screen makes the difference smaller.

Rootbeer

Banned
I have MoM edition on pre-order, but still bummed I never played BBS :( If only they'd release it on PSN I'd buy it in a heartbeat, even for $20. I want it on my Vita!

Wizpig

Free-flowing is the shit; seriously, it makes roaming crazy fun and overall gameplay is the best one when compared to the first two games.

The same cannot be said about the
worlds; lack of a "HUB level" with Final Fantasy NPCs, Uncle Scrooge and stuff like that like in the first game
; this is indeed one of those "portable spin-offs that play like the home-console version" - think God of War PSP - and not actual portable games with new gameplay like KH CoM on the GBA - it's cool because it has high production values but at the same time everyone is thinking the same: give us KH 3 on the 360/Ps3/Wii U/etc.

Not simple PR talk:

Iwata
This free-flowing action was part of your original vision of the game?

Nomura
Yes, it was. This idea was born from the fact that the Nintendo 3DS system has both stereoscopic graphics and analogue controls. In fact, staffs who've been working on this latest game now complain that the movements in older games like BBS21 and KH II are too slow. They say things like "once you've experienced the 3D free-flowing action, you can't go back", and "a Kingdom game where you can't jump-kick off the walls just isn't a Kingdom game." (laughs)

ps. Never played BbS but the photos (bullshots?) are better than some parts of KH DDD mainly because the in-game DDD models have plenty of aliasing on character models etc. just like many 3DS games. (Nintendo understood what anti-aliasing is with the Gamecube, then forgot about it again)

pps. Curious to hear impressions of DDD from BbS players, combat-system wise.

@rockman zx: Agreed but no online play is a bummer

the-iek

Where was it? Can't find it :(

Excuse the bad picture, but you can get to the Court of Miracles through this little part:

igmrq.png

Hope we are talking about the same thing.

Berordn

The same cannot be said about the
worlds; lack of a "HUB level" with Final Fantasy NPCs, Uncle Scrooge and stuff like that like in the first game
; this is indeed one of those "portable spin-offs that play like the home-console version" - think God of War PSP - and not actual portable games with new gameplay like KH CoM on the GBA - it's cool because it has high production values but at the same time everyone is thinking the same: give us KH 3 on the 360/Ps3/Wii U/etc.

I dunno, Birth By Sleep didn't have any sort of central hub and I thought it worked to its advantage. The game kept on a steady pace and had a dramatically redone ability system better suited to a handheld that just worked. Without having to jump back to some random place low-level that I'd already been for whatever arbitrary reason, I get to keep playing.

RPGCrazied

Who else can't play this until the XL comes out? I don't even own a 3DS yet. The wait is annoying. I'm almost done with Kingdom Hearts II.

Ammish

Banned

Birth by Sleep and 3D both do things great in their own way. Some things are better in BBS. Other things are better in 3D. Both are better than Kingdom Hearts II. Kingdom Hearts is still the best

Kingdom Hearts II is the second weakest game in the series for me (though Final Mix+ makes it fun)

Unless you look really hard, 3D is on surface as good as the PS2 versions. 3D has much larger environment, but they feel more... empty I would say.

The biggest injustice to the game is the fact that the 3DS' resolution and screen size is too small. Too hectic for the small screen.

I'm reviewing this game for an Italian portal (Wiitalia) and I'm loving it. I'm 5 hours in, so not so much, but it seems that every aspect has been deepened so to provide good incentive to play with it; the Spirits stuff is quite funny actually, and Flowmotion, once get used to it, is addicting.

Peff

Hm, I'm finding that the Spirits can't quite match Command Melding, there are too many roadblocks. You basically get one recipe per world (which you might not be able to actually create until later), it's relatively tough to get enough ability points to fill the boards, and when you do you have to start over because you don't get to keep most of the skills unless the DE is in your party. Water barrels help, but it's still not as fine tuned as BbS. Maybe it gets better later, though.

bodine1231

Just played through the demo and was pretty disappointed in the camera. The boss fight was an exercise in pure frustration. The camera kept bouncing around getting tricked by the environment and would constantly lose auto target. Aside from the graphics its left a really bad first impression.

Ghost23

Just played through the demo and was pretty disappointed in the camera. The boss fight was an exercise in pure frustration. The camera kept bouncing around getting tricked by the environment and would constantly lose auto target. Aside from the graphics its left a really bad first impression.

Were you locking on?

Hale-XF11

Probably the biggest worlds in the series, but it only magnifies how empty they are. I don't think there's a single NPC in any world outside of the Shop Moogles.

That's pretty depressing. Previous entries turned me off because of how empty the worlds felt, but this game seems to compound that feeling of emptiness from what it sounds like.

Probably the biggest worlds in the series, but it only magnifies how empty they are. I don't think there's a single NPC in any world outside of the Shop Moogles.

Lack of NPCs doesn't bother me. They've never been a particularly important part of KH for me; so long as the areas themselves are bigger and more detailed than past entries', I'll be satisfied.

Peff

At only 7 worlds, how are people saying this game is 30hrs+?

Each world is like 2/3 KH2 worlds, and you have to play each twice in a row. It's definitely longer than it looks like. There's a bit more to at least one of the worlds than just the first visit too.

Each world is like 2/3 KH2 worlds, and you have to play each twice in a row. It's definitely longer than it looks like. There's a bit more to at least one of the worlds than just the first visit too.

twice? I assume with different characters and I pray different stories

Top Bottom