• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Seda

Time to give Theatrhythm a break:

AyQwG2vCIAAg00Y.jpg:large

Early review copy of the CE?

I'm jelly

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
From Nintendo Everything

Nintendo World Store will host a launch event for Kingdom Hearts 3D on July 28. Fans can buy the game and participate in a few activities.

Between 9:00 AM and 1:00 PM, Kingdom Hearts 3D can be purchased three days early. A “special gift” will be provided with all copies of the game.

Playable units will be on hand as will a Kingdom Hearts-themed photo booth. Fans can also write special messages to the Kingdom Hearts development team in Japan.

Source: Square Enix PR

Peff

Just get the boss down to one bar of health or so and it'll happen eventually. The demo allows you to destroy him fast enough to not see it, but it's bound to happen in the full game.

Bladenic

God I want this game. Buying it as soon as I get 3DS XL.

Just wondering, how are the reviews? Birth by Sleep was praise on GAF but it only had a 82% on Gamerankings. Curious to see how 3D fares.

Seda

Whoo, my review copy arrived today!

It's not the swanky Mark of Mastery edition that Kagari got (so jelly, Kagari!), but I'm incredibly excited all the same. :)

I've got the MoM edition pre-ordered anyhow, so once I get it I'm just selling the game inside to a friend for $40. I'm a massive Kingdom Hearts nut, so getting the limited edition stuff for $15 is worth it to me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I skipped out on all the side story stuff and BBS *only played the two ps2 games*

Is there anything EXTREMELY important to know before jumping into this one?

I skipped out on all the side story stuff and BBS *only played the two ps2 games*

Yes. You'll probably be quite lost if you at least haven't played Birth by Sleep, but playing 358/2 Days would help a lot too. If you care about the story and being caught up on it, I would do some Wikipedia reading on the previous games before you start this one.

Yeah, the game includes flashbacks and mementos and stuff that helps recap the previous game, but the story is so complex at this point that I doubt they'll be enough.

Awesome. I can't wait to hear more impressions.

I just played the demo again, and I was wondering if the controls are similar in the retail version. Using B to jump and A to attack feels very odd after using O to jump and X to attack in Birth by Sleep.

I recommend playing Birth by Sleep before playing Dream Drop Distance, but perhaps you can just read summaries on Wikis if you're only interested in the story.

The game has text summaries of every game in the series to date to get you up to speed. I'd still recommend playing BBS, though.

Haha, fair enough. I guess I really like the cheese, but it's true -- he doesn't really say anything truly badass. But that's Sora for you -- optimistic and cheesy to the end. Donald even makes fun of him for it near the end of Chain of Memories. In a way, that's kind of refreshing; Riku is there to be the badass, emo target of fangirl obsession, so isn't it nice that Sora stays endlessly cheery and bright-eyed? He still throws down better than anyone else when things get real, after all.

True.

Goku's not emo though :p
And he throws down better than anyone else.

In other news, hyped for this game!

Sinthetic

Received my copy from Amazon today. Never usually get stuff early with the free delivery in the UK.

Love the inside art of the box and the instruction manual is a treat! Cover is quality too.

The 3DS case is actually really sturdy. I'm impressed.

AyS5dPbCcAATaH4.jpg

Too bad it doesn't look that nice on Cosmo Black.

Near 10 hours in the game, just finished The Grid with Riku.

The story doesn't advance at all, but I really don't care, I'm having a lot of fun breeding Dream Eatres, although I suck at colisseum.

Best gameplay of the series.

Peff

Even better than BSS, despite the semi-Nintendogs features (which I heard were annoying) ?

They're pretty much just an extra, you don't really have to use them at all. You still get many experience points by playing like any other KH.

I'm surprised at how big the worlds are, both in number of "screens" and their scope. Birth by Sleep felt a little restrained by the PSP, but the game could definitely pass for a PS2 KH3 with no problems. That said, they really need to address the "just imagine it's full of people lol" in the cutscenes, at this point it's beyond silly.

GolazoDan

The combat is really pretty good and I think the camera's pretty decent too. It asked me if I wanted to use the Circle Pad Pro so, thinking it would be useful, I did, but I don't think I used the second pad that much. Not very good at the combat though, I struggled a bit on the Hockomonkey fight as Riku. Never played a KH game before but it's fun, though I may hold back on playing it loads until the 3DS XL arrives.

Now I have played 13 hours and this is possibly my favourite KH game so far (keep in mind I have not played the PSP game). I think the difficulty is pretty decent and not way too easy. An example: I have avoided most of the random fights and breezed through the levels until I hit some nasty bosses with big health bars. Embarrassingly I ended up playing the same boss for 3 - 4 "drop" times. Then I figured should grind more by playing a new world as I was seriously underleveled.
Because I could not kill that damn boss (inside that whale) fast enough without having to switch to Sora.
The camera has at least grown on me, but I find the second numb useless and prefer to just use the shoulder buttons to switch the camera.

Nemesis_

This is actually ridiculously fun, and all the new content makes it feel like a lot of effort has gone into it. With other side stories there was shitloads of reused content, but with this one it seems the team is making quite a conscious effort.

Really love the flowy fast paced combat too.

How does StreetPass work? And can you complete the game without 'dropping' or do you need to complete both storylines eventually to finish it? Just wondering, not that I'm considering NOT doing it anyway. Why would you voluntarily Drop midway through a world? I don't think I grasp the concept properly.

Wizpig

This may not interest everyone (ie. anyone) but here's my brief story with the series:

Played 1 about 8-9 years ago, then 2, then got annoyed at the direction the series was taking at the time of the triple announcement (ugh) and thought "thanks but no thanks".

I was really interested in BbS but never bought it; having a PSP 1001 is a pain.
Now this comes around, 3DS is basically my main platform, so why not? demo was nice enough but i can't stand the Nintendogs, give me Donald and Goofy back.
I actually have a CPP but i'm not going to use it, i hate the piece of shit plastic.

The game itself... plays like Kingdom Hearts with some cool new stuff; i guess it hasn't changed that much after 10 years *cough* so it's easy to get back into.

ps. I'm Italian - so yeah, sure, Italian box, AR cards etc. but game is in English; doesn't bother me at all and it's not actually a new thing that SquEnix doesn't translate every single game... think FFT 2 on the DS, but the SquEnix Facebooks are on fire... guess this is what happens when you don't translate a game marketed to a younger audience like KH.

pps. Oh god a 3DS game with an actual instruction book inside, oh jesus what is this.

Nemesis_

Gotta be a bit honest though - these circus reject enemies are really not doing it for me. They are too colourful to be menacing.

I really do miss the times when we had Disney Villains as boss encounters :(

C.T.

Whoo, my review copy arrived today!

It's not the swanky Mark of Mastery edition that Kagari got (so jelly, Kagari!), but I'm incredibly excited all the same. :)

I've got the MoM edition pre-ordered anyhow, so once I get it I'm just selling the game inside to a friend for $40. I'm a massive Kingdom Hearts nut, so getting the limited edition stuff for $15 is worth it to me.

You're selling a review copy? Isn't it kind of a no-go?

C.T.

He's selling the game from the MoM edition.

Because he has the game of the review copy. It's a roundabout way. Anyway didn't want to point fingers, was curious because I reviewed myself and think you can get in trouble for it.

also

Banned
Because he has the game of the review copy. It's a roundabout way. Anyway didn't want to point fingers, was curious because I reviewed myself and think you can get in trouble for it.

I don't see the problem as the review copy will remain unsold. Would it be different if he wrote ''My friend is selling me the extra stuff from the MoM edition.'' or ''I'm ebaying the stuff from the MoM''? The result would be the same, he would get the case and other stuff but not the game. Why is he forced to buy the whole MoM edition just because he received a review copy?

C.T.

I don't see the problem as the review copy will remain unsold. Would it be different if he wrote ''My friend is selling me the extra stuff from the MoM edition.'' or ''I'm ebaying the stuff from the MoM''? The result would be the same, he would get the case and other stuff but not the game. Why is he forced to buy the whole MoM edition just because he received a review copy?

Yeah IMO it would. You normally get review copies for free and noone forced him to buy the MoM edition. By selling the game he gets 40$ thx to the review copy. But IMO we should stop this argument, don't want to derail this thread anymore.

Three questions:

-Anything changed or added to the NA edition?

-About how long to beat the game? Also, is there any post game content?

-Is this on sale anywhere?

Zomba13

So yeah, this is crazy good. Worst thing is that sometimes I feel the controls are a bit unresponsive, like I can't jump or dodge because of animations when I feel I should be able to if this was a previous KH game (like BBS of KH2). Also the drop stuff is a tad annoying when it happens during a boss fight, especially when the time limit is so close to you being able to finish the boss off.

Other than that though I really like it. I like making new spirits and getting abilities and commands via their grid things and I like how Sora and Riku use their links in different ways. It's small but I like that you can paint them lol. Kinda wish we could have world characters join though, like Neku or Beat in Traverse Town or Sam in the Grid or we could make Donald and Goofy via a super secret special spirit recipe.

I've just got the end of Prankster's Paradise to finish up as Sora then I'm done with the first set of 3 worlds and I'm at 11 hours exactly. I'm intrigued with the little bits of Kingdom Hearts story I've seen and I kinda want to know what is up with the whole dropping thing and why Riku and Sora seem to be experiencing different versions of each world. Unless they are the same world but at different times (even though there are contradictions in each guys things).

EDIT: Also, did anyone else not get the R&R Seal card? I preordered and nothing, not outside or inside the game (got the other card thing though on the SE members thing.). When I looked online for the cards and tried to scan them it didn't work (any of them). I've done this before with KI and with worse scans and it worked fine for that game.

C.T.

I only played Chains of Memory (GBA) before. Should I play Birth by Sleep (got it but still haven't played) or can I get right into it? Does the forced chara switch work or is it annoying?

Nemesis_

Does anyone know how to find Esmeralda in the Court of Miracles?

I'm running around but can't seem to catch a break ;_;

Top Bottom