• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Do I really have to
fight Sora's final boss and Riku's two final bosses if I missed one of the questions the first time around and want to watch the secret ending?

:(

Now, I really want to get a PSP to play BBS.

How are 358/2 and Re:Coded?

BbS is definitely worth it -- it's one of the best games in the series.

Gameplay-wise, 358/2 Days is the second-worst in the series (worst is Chain of Memories), but I found the story more than compelling enough to deal with it and play through the entire game. If the part of the story involving Roxas and Organization XIII interests you at all, you should play it. It's quite sad, but it's a good story.

Re:coded is just the opposite. The story is basically throwaway and only the end advances things at all, but gameplay-wise it's actually very fun. It has one of my favorite character-building/level up systems in the series.

Do I really have to
fight Sora's final boss and Riku's two final bosses if I missed one of the questions the first time around and want to watch the secret ending?

:(

No. It's a silly, gimmicky way to screw people out of the secret ending, so just hit up YouTube. ;)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So yeah, I picked up the game and I'm wondering how important the story is and how relevant is this game to the main story? Basically the relevant ones I know are BBS->KH1->KH2.

So yeah, I picked up the game and I'm wondering how important the story is and how relevant is this game to the main story? Basically the relevant ones I know are BBS->KH1->KH2.

Probably comparable to Chain of Memories in relevance in that it sets up stuff for the next numbered game.

Probably comparable to Chain of Memories in relevance in that it sets up stuff for the next numbered game.

It's closer to a main chapter (KH/KH II/BbS) than a side chapter/interquel (CoM/358/Re:coded), but what Box of Bunnies said is pretty much right on.

Thoraxes

Nah. I need to earn it.

I know that feel. I managed to beat Sora's final boss at level 30 lol, but i'm getting slaughtered with Riku.

I have 4 trophies, but not sure if completing the game on proud and getting the 2 trophies from clearing it will, push me over that edge to get it.

So i've been flowmotion grinding enemies while I get XP :(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I know that feel. I managed to beat Sora's final boss at level 30 lol, but i'm getting slaughtered with Riku.

I have 4 trophies, but not sure if completing the game on proud and getting the 2 trophies from clearing it will, push me over that edge to get it.

So i've been flowmotion grinding enemies while I get XP :(

I went back and collected all the treasures with both characters. When that was over, I was strong enough to beat all the bosses easily, and had also cleared another trophy,

Nah. I need to earn it.

Yeah, I understand... normally I feel that way too, but fulfilling all the gameplay-based prerequisites (like getting enough trophies) only to get get screwed out of the ending for not answering three random questions correctly is just silly to me. I looked up the answers I needed to choose beforehand so I wouldn't have to beat the final bosses twice, but I definitely wouldn't YouTube the secret ending in favor of fulfilling the gameplay prerequisites.

also

Banned
I finished the game (proud, ~33hours) and the story really got weirder than I ever thought it would get... I love it! Still need some time to digest the story and put all the pieces together. Funnily enough, it looks like even Nomura can't keep track of all the details as there's at least an error in Days' chronicles
''It was only once Axel appeared that he and Roxas were able to bring back her by force.'' Expect it was all Axel's doing, Roxas just stood there and only managed to yell a few words because he could not believe his friends were fighting. Link.
But maybe it's just a translation error. Could anyone with a Japanese copy check this out? Too bad the ending is such a let down.
First, I'm not a fan of Lea getting a Key Blade, he had his weapon already and that means Roxas won't get to play any major role in KHIII since the 7th guardian of light will probably be Ven. Second, I really wish Xenahort managed to unite his 13 vessels to move the story forward and I bet that was in the original ending that Disney made Nomura rewrite because it was too dark.
I guess we will have to wait for KHIII for the plot to really advance. The secret ending was, compared to both BBS's and even BBSFM+'s, really lame as they didn't reveal anything we didn't already know/guess.
This game also made me kind of like Sora a bit more, specifically in the final word when
he talks to Roxas
, though I'm still not really a fan of his.

As for the actual game, I liked it more than BBS and Re:Coded.
First the positives:
-BIG environments and flowmotion really made the game fun; they have to bring this to KH3. There's simply no going back to boring walking/running after being able to jump from wall to wall, swirl around poles, etc. all at blazing fast spees.
-Combat; as fun as ever, but now even crazier due to flowmotion.
-Reality shifts; I thought they would be just some lame gimmick, but I really liked them, except forh the buble one.
-FlickRush; I have only played a little, but it seems really fun.
-Diving; too bad they recycled some of the stages.
-Music
-Voice acting: good for the most part, though there's a really akwardly acted out line in the ending:
''Riku, what do you wish for?'' Instead of saying ''More questions...'' in a pensive voice he says ''More Questions.'' in a normal voice, so for a moment you think that's his answer Link
-Sora's Link attacks: Can be quite fun, think of them as D-links from BBS

Meh:
-Some abilities are tied to spirits and you have to have them in your party (limited to 3 slots) to take advantage of them; it didn't really bother me, since it wasn't that hard to rack up LP points for newly created spirits.
-Graphics: frame drops galore and they were kind of jaggy at first (playing on an XL) but then the battles got so busy that it only really bothered me in some cutscenes. I know it's a compromise for the huge areas, so I won't complain too much.
-Drop System: can be confusing at first, but I got used to it quickly. It's nice that you can buff your characters by spending drop points and if you don't like the system, you can use cheap Drop-me-nots.

The bad Stuff:
-The camera is way too close; the battles are hectic and the environments huge, so it's really easy to get disoriented.
-Flowmotion is too easy to abuse, so it gets kind of boring later on and the level design suffers from it; instead of doing any actual platforming and using gimmicks you can just wall kick everywhere. They should have really made it either harder to use or designed the environments to be more demanding; tighter button timing or less kickable and more damage dealing spots.
-No command melding from Re:Coded; I hope they bring it, along with the command board, back for KHIII.
-Boring character progression system compared to Re:Coded and Days.
-Loading; better than BBS though still annoying.
-Only 2 save files
-Riku's command styles suck

EDIT: Added some more comments

AHHh, i missed unlocking the secret ending for the 2nd time because i miss the 1st letter in the end credit again :(

Too lazy to fight all the bosses again............

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I just beat the game and am watching the rest of the credits, I did the
dive thing through the credits and got the full message "Secret Message Unlocked," does that mean I'm getting the secret ending after this?

EDIT: Now it's asking me
if I want to "save clear data"?! What the fuck does that mean and why is it phrased so awkwardly that I think it's a bad translation and is going to wipe my save? :/

also

Banned
So I just beat the game and am watching the rest of the credits, I did the
dive thing through the credits and got the full message "Secret Message Unlocked," does that mean I'm getting the secret ending after this?

EDIT: Now it's asking me
if I want to "save clear data"?! What the fuck does that mean and why is it phrased so awkwardly that I think it's a bad translation and is going to wipe my save? :/

If you save ''clear data'' you won't lose any of your progress, the game will simply take note that you cleared the game and unlock a few things, you will also be able to start a new game+ and carry over some things from your old playthrough.

elazullizard

Neo Member
Ok, so this is weird... In Sora's Reports section it has scores for various dives, right? I have an entry for the "Ending" dive, and I'm barely at
Prankster's Paradise
. Also, for a few posts above, the youtube links show up through the spoiler tags, so you may want to check that out.

Just finished the game. There were some great boss fights towards the end. I screwed up on getting the secret message, though.

Overall, I had a great time with the game. The story definitely gets a bit weird towards the end, but it's really just meeting my expectations for a Kingdom Hearts story.

also

Banned
Ok, so this is weird... In Sora's Reports section it has scores for various dives, right? I have an entry for the "Ending" dive, and I'm barely at
Prankster's Paradise
. Also, for a few posts above, the youtube links show up through the spoiler tags, so you may want to check that out.

Fixed! Sorry about that.

Zeroneo

Prankster's Paradise

This seems to be related to a bug with the special portals where after completing one with Riku it will say that it was completed by Sora and Sora's version of that portal will no longer be available or vice versa. It seems to be cause by one of the flashbacks in the beginning of the game.

Prankster's Paradise

Same thing happened to me right after I did my first dive into Traverse Town. I think it's a minor glitch.

thetechkid

So I finished
Prankster's Paradise
and it seemed way too easy. Anyways I'm taking a break from the story to work up my spirits and I'm curious(I know it's been asked before) which effects/abilities stay when you remove them from your party.

botty

Banned
Does anyone know what the significance was when:
Lea says gets stuck with the bad jokes, then the camera focuses on the DTD board? I didn't understand what was the point of that close-up.

So I finished
Prankster's Paradise
and it seemed way too easy. Anyways I'm taking a break from the story to work up my spirits and I'm curious(I know it's been asked before) which effects/abilities stay when you remove them from your party.
The ones that don't have a Dream Eater symbol next to them. So stuff like Combo Plus, Leaf Bracer, Once More, Second Chance, etc.

Does anyone know what the significance was when:
Lea says gets stuck with the bad jokes, then the camera focuses on the DTD board? I didn't understand what was the point of that close-up.

Lea references a line he says as Axel, which I think was in Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days. He tends to get the worst jobs (Spying and slowly assassinating the Organization members at Castle Oblivion, retrieving Xion, tasked with destroying Roxas). I don't know why the camera focused on the DTD board. He was talking about retrieving the other Organization members and using the corridors of darkness, maybe it was him thinking of how all the stupid stuff that happened to him was because of Xehanort wanting to get to the Door to Darkness and reach Kingdom Hearts.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well I'm certainly early in this game but this game is kinda like a recap game that preps you up for KH3. Hope I'm right though.

branny

I noticed that, too, by the time I reached the end of the game. It really kinda sucks because the style changes were so exciting in BbS. Yet another thing DDD borked somehow. :(

duckroll

Yeah, for the most part I didn't even bother using Riku's style changes.

Once I found which dual-link combination gave me the Bladestorm command style, there was no need to ever bother using anything else or doing single links either. Really awful system compared to Sora, where it's at least kinda fun to interact with each Dream Eater in a more personal way.

also

Banned
Once I found which dual-link combination gave me the Bladestorm command style, there was no need to ever bother using anything else or doing single links either. Really awful system compared to Sora, where it's at least kinda fun to interact with each Dream Eater in a more personal way.

I used
Wavesurfer
a few times since it does damage in a wide area, so it's kind of good for large groups of Nightmares, and
Rising Wing
for
Commantis
because it makes Riku hard to hit since he is constantly flying up and down while attacking. For some reason I didn't really like Bladecharge this time, though it was one of my favourites in BBS.
Sora's links are undoubtedly superior, not only do they give you invincibility they also make for some really funny situations. Sora's final Boss spoilers ahead
using Paw Groove to dance while Xenmas is trying to slash/blast you with it's lasers is a hilarious sight

duckroll

I used
Wavesurfer
a few times since it does damage in a wide area, so it's kind of good for large groups of Nightmares, and
Rising Wing
for
Commantis
because it makes Riku hard to hit since he is constantly flying up and down while attacking. For some reason I didn't really like Bladecharge this time, though it was one of my favourites in BBS.
Sora's links are undoubtedly superior, not only do they give you invincibility they also make for some really funny situations. Sora's final Boss spoilers ahead
using Paw Groove to dance while Xenmas is trying to slash/blast you with it's lasers is a hilarious sight

Bladecharge (damn, I even messed up the name, I blame how the game doesn't change your command UI!) was great for most of Riku's final few bosses at the end. The reach is long, and timing it right totally fucks the bosses up especially those who get interrupted with injury frames. Sogood.gif

Thoraxes

The bad Stuff:
-Flowmotion is too easy to abuse, so it gets kind of boring later on and the level design suffers from it; instead of doing any actual platforming and using gimmicks you can just wall kick everywhere. They should have really made it either harder to use or designed the environments to be more demanding; tighter button timing or less kickable and more damage dealing spots.

You should read what they said about flowmotion in the Iwata Asks. They actually brought that topic up lol

I went back and collected all the treasures with both characters. When that was over, I was strong enough to beat all the bosses easily, and had also cleared another trophy,
Ah, good idea!

also

Banned
Bladecharge (damn, I even messed up the name, I blame how the game doesn't change your command UI!) was great for most of Riku's final few bosses at the end. The reach is long, and timing it right totally fucks the bosses up especially those who get interrupted with injury frames. Sogood.gif
I see, when I tried it midgame it seemed that Riku still got too close and I was easily injured, so then I didn't bother with it anymore. I guess I should have stuck with it some more. As for Riku's last few bosses, I devised a really effective (read cheap) strateg;y
I simply spammed projectiles (Triple Plasma, Balonga and Dark Firaga) from afar while rolling like crazy

You should read what they said about flowmotion in the Iwata Asks. They actually brought that topic up lol
Thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot about the IA.

EDIT: I read it and it seems Nomura and co. are really pleased with the current implementation of flowmotion... this doesn't really give me much hope for any major refinement in KH3.

Mario007

guys, club nintendo says if i register the game, I get 40 points. i don't see a code anywhere in my packaging except for the SE code. What gives here?

If we're talking EU club nintendo, then I can tell you that the code was supposed to be in the box. So you probably got screwed over there.

Hokhoku

Banned
Anybody can share impressions on 3DS XL?
I would appreciate that

KH is my favourite series and I would like to play it on the perfect hardware

Just beat the game. 27 hours Proud Mode. Didn't bother to grind nor search for chests.
Back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back Riku boss fights lol
. The boss fights aren't even hard. They just take forever. Dark Splicer sucks against the last bosses. It's pretty much suicide without Second Chance.

DfvxJ.jpg

I really want to start my Lv1 Critical Mode which is when I'll put serious effort, but I also want a bit of a headstart. I need to train some DEs to take and preferably star level. I can get 40,000 munny by selling everything, so whatever's in the shop is covered. I'm planning to take Frootz Kat, Ryu Dragon and Tyranto Rex. They'll give me the following passives:

5/5 Attack Haste
5/5 Magic Haste
5/5 Attack Boost
2/5 Magic Boost
2/5 Defense Boost
2/3 Reload Boost
4/5 HP Boost
2/5 Fire Screen
1/3 Thunder Boost
1/3 Fire Boost
1/3 Support Boost

The ever important Second Chance and Once More are covered by R&R Seal and Tyranto Rex.

And after 33 hours, I'm done. Definitely improved over my initial impression, although I never really got into the Dream Eater system throughout.
Loved the confusing mess of a story though, although they made the same mistake they've made before by loading the entire thing into the last hour or so
. I think my main issue was playing through BbS the week before release and comparing DDD to that the whole time, and they definitely struck near enough perfectly on everything in BbS, while DDD feels a bit of a step backwards.

And after 33 hours, I'm done. Definitely improved over my initial impression, although I never really got into the Dream Eater system throughout.
Loved the confusing mess of a story though, although they made the same mistake they've made before by loading the entire thing into the last hour or so
. I think my main issue was playing through BbS the week before release and comparing DDD to that the whole time, and they definitely struck near enough perfectly on everything in BbS, while DDD feels a bit of a step backwards.

Well you have to look at the dev time for these titles.

BBS: 4+ years in the making

3D: 1 year.

Well you have to look at the dev time for these titles.

BBS: 4+ years in the making

3D: 1 year.

Its a fair enough point. My main issue though was how fiddly the Dream Eater system was compared to how streamlined Fusion felt. That and I never got behind the Drop system, but I think that's a general issue a large majority have.

Cheska

Okay so uhh, I'm in the Grid right now with Sora and wtf. Is [/spoiler]Ritzler/Tron[/spoiler] supposed to be this difficult? I've been at it for about half an hour and have had no luck winning the fight :(

Order

Okay so uhh, I'm in the Grid right now with Sora and wtf. Is
Ritzler/Tron
supposed to be this difficult? I've been at it for about half an hour and have had no luck winning the fight :(

That fight is extremely easy if you have Counter Rush

Top Bottom