• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

I really hate when games do this, why can we not go back to the old days where you earn them with experience instead of making these arbitrary ways of earning these abilities...Guess I will make every new spirit I get now.

Eh, having command learning separate from exp/levels allows you to take advantage of thinga like exp zero where you can play a game at a low level while still progressing in move set.

Vamphuntr

If you fought all battles without escaping until now you should be okay (on normal difficulty). But the bosses may be difficult if you have trouble parrying/escaping attacks.

I fought everything and I'm like level 30-32. Really don't feel like grinding and playing that boring water barrel game to get LPs.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I fought everything and I'm like level 30-32. Really don't feel like grinding and playing that boring water barrel game to get LPs.
I spent a long time grinding up to level 50 before going to the last part. It says you need to be 38 but I decided overkill so I'd be less frustrated by the end game fights.

Wow, Tyranto Rex is a beast. At first I could pull off maybe two dual link chain attacks in an entire world, and now once every three or four battles. Crazy.

Holy crap, i'm confronting the
second form of Ansen with Riku
, how do i
avoid the fucking lasers coming out of the two big balls?

Mit-

Just started this game, and I'm sorry if it's been said before, but the Circle Pad Pro is completely USELESS in this game.

The camera controls are practically reversed compared to the L/R shoulder buttons, and you can't scroll through the command list using the two extra shoulder buttons? You can't even use the L-shoulder button for ANYTHING? Ridiculous. I'm just going to use default controls without the Circle Pad Pro. Was really hoping to finally play a KH game with simultaneous camera control, character movement, attacking, and command list navigation. The four shoulder buttons were capable of this.

Thoraxes

Just started this game, and I'm sorry if it's been said before, but the Circle Pad Pro is completely USELESS in this game.

The camera controls are practically reversed compared to the L/R shoulder buttons, and you can't scroll through the command list using the two extra shoulder buttons? You can't even use the L-shoulder button for ANYTHING? Ridiculous. I'm just going to use default controls without the Circle Pad Pro. Was really hoping to finally play a KH game with simultaneous camera control, character movement, attacking, and command list navigation. The four shoulder buttons were capable of this.
Yeah, the implementation of the CPPro was pretty worthless on this in the end. I used it sparingly, but found that I really didn't need it in the end.

Vamphuntr

I beat it at level 37/36. The key is more about getting the game breaking dream eaters than leveling up. I had Tyranno Rex/Magic Lapin/Keeba Tiger with their board maxed out and it was really easy as you have full sets of attack haste/magic haste and you have mega flare, dark splicer and meteor crash. Most of the bosses at the end are really easy if you know how to use your counter and dodge moves too.

Outside of the battle system it was a disappointing KH game. The Disney cameos were few and mostly boring. There's like 2 Disney bosses in the game while the rest are simply dream eaters. The story is pratically non-existent until you reach the last world then it gets really stupid and convoluted. After you read all the "chronicles" you realize how the story is entirely out of control at this point.

Hopefully KH3 is next and not some spin off again.

Mario007

I beat it at level 37/36. The key is more about getting the game breaking dream eaters than leveling up. I had Tyranno Rex/Magic Lapin/Keeba Tiger with their board maxed out and it was really easy as you have full sets of attack haste/magic haste and you have mega flare, dark splicer and meteor crash. Most of the bosses at the end are really easy if you know how to use your counter and dodge moves too.

Outside of the battle system it was a disappointing KH game. The Disney cameos were few and mostly boring. There's like 2 Disney bosses in the game while the rest are simply dream eaters. The story is pratically non-existent until you reach the last world then it gets really stupid and convoluted. After you read all the "chronicles" you realize how the story is entirely out of control at this point.

Yeah I completely agree. It felt much more like Re:Coded with new worlds and definitely not 'a true sequel to KH2'. It's kinda disappointing after BBS, but you can tell they all seemed to be under a lot of pressure to get this game out early. Nomura admitted he threw the story together hurriedly and the game just lacks the polish of BBS.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

Ah, I'm dreading doing it because ...
the prospect of facing 5 bosses in a row isn't really something I want to do >.>

I don't underatand how people can complain about the story, when it's the first KH that packs the whole plot since a several games to get into KH3.

From playing all the KH games recently, 3D most recently, I've come to the personal conclusion that the Osaka team (the SE team that did Re:COM, BBS, and 3D) is really bad at creating boss battles, or at least, boss battles that are hard without feeling cheap. I tried beating
Julius
, and it feels like the whole fight comes down to dodge rolling away and spamming balloon. The staggering of bosses from your standard attacks feels random, or non-present at times, which makes them feel very frustrating and non-skill based overall.

I'll try to come up with a more articulate explanation, but has anyone else had that same general feeling?

- After summarizing the series other games, and making some kind of SENSE out of them, the game goes out of his way to make the most convulted and nonsensical plot ever
Seriously, fucking time travel ? And they doesn't explain how it even works ? whyyyy ? Plus some of the most idiotic plot points and twists...

I don't know, I felt the same way, but came to the realization that most of the "WTF?" stuff in 3D's story doesn't impact the series much aside from the story of 3D, itself. Particularly
time travel. While it's introduction could mean crazy things for the overall story,it was used for the specific events that occured in 3D, so now that the meeting of the 13 has passed, it may never be used as a plot point again. So I hope, anyway.

Aaaaanyway. Overall I'm pleased with the game, but I don't feel very motivated to move into Critical, because of the LP board, and some of the bosses. I think I was underleveled for some of the bosses on Proud, but the way some of the bosses are, to make some of the mechanics less arse-y, my only option will be grinding to outlevel them.

From playing all the KH games recently, 3D most recently, I've come to the personal conclusion that the Osaka team (the SE team that did Re:COM, BBS, and 3D) is really bad at creating boss battles, or at least, boss battles that are hard without feeling cheap. I tried beating
Julius
, and it feels like the whole fight comes down to dodge rolling away and spamming balloon. The staggering of bosses from your standard attacks feels random, or non-present at times, which makes them feel very frustrating and non-skill based overall.

I definitely agree that boss fights seem to be the one of Osaka team's biggest weaknesses. That said, I think that
Julius
is actually a pretty fair optional boss, especially in comparison to Birth by Sleep's optional bosses (In fact, I'd say it's almost too easy). Despite Balloon spells being the most effective offense, it can definitely be done with a variety of other commands, and a lot of its attacks can actually be outright blocked instead of having to dodge roll constantly. (as opposed to Birth by Sleep's optional bosses) It's even more of a joke if you get Sora's Superglide and Riku's Dark Roll/Barrier abilities.

I do think bosses in KH1 and KH2 were far better designed, though.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the game.

I had a bit of fun playing it - I don't get the story, at all. Like really, WTF? But - at least it was kinda fun.
The Young Xehanort fight was fucking bullshit with the clock thing resetting and you facing him again. At least since I was level 50 I beat the first 4 bosses and Ventus Nightmare pretty easily

I thought Birth by Sleep had great bosses. 3D's aren't quite as strong, but there have still been some pretty good ones where I'm at (finished with Fantasia with both characters).

I liked all the Organization XIII fights in KH2, even the dance water dance guy.

Ugh. Demyx was so annoying to fight. I was getting so angry about that back in 2006.

Gardios

None of boss fights in KH1 really stood out to me outside of ones in Hallow Bastion and outside of the Organization fights all of KH2's bosses boiled down to boring mash-fests. 3D actually has my favorite bosses since you can't just brute-force your way through most of them by abusing shotlocks/command styles/i-frames like in BBS.

I liked all the Organization XIII fights in KH2, even the dance water dance guy.

There's something charming and fun, still, about KH2 Sephiroth. The Org. XIII data fights in Final Mix are really cool, too. I can't remember which one gave me the most trouble, but fighting your way through the enemy gauntlet in the Cavern of Remembrance to get to them was really awesome.

KH2:FM Side-Boss spoiler:
Terra
, feels very fun and rewarding, as well.

Seven Force said:
Despite Balloon spells being the most effective offense, it can definitely be done with a variety of other commands, and a lot of its attacks can actually be outright blocked instead of having to dodge roll constantly.

The one that kept mucking me up was the flurry of punches that effectively allows him to close in on you from across the battle area even if you're dodge rolling away as fast as you can. I tried blocking it, but he keeps them coming for so long that you're still vulnerable after the first block. I suppose I'm just all nostalgic for the days when you could spam Reflega and your problems would melt away. lol.

I don't have Superglide, though, so I'll try that. Where in particular do you find it?

but fighting your way through the enemy gauntlet in the Cavern of Remembrance to get to them was really awesome.

That one room right before the end with the seemingly endless waves of nobodies is what changed my opinion (for the better) of KHII/FM's battle system. I had to actually think about how to approach that fight with all of the tools I had available.

The one that kept mucking me up was the flurry of punches that effectively allows him to close in on you from across the battle area even if you're dodge rolling away as fast as you can. I tried blocking it, but he keeps them coming for so long that you're still vulnerable after the first block. I suppose I'm just all nostalgic for the days when you could spam Reflega and your problems would melt away. lol.

I don't have Superglide, though, so I'll try that. Where in particular do you find it?

Block it, and as soon as he hits you, use Counter rush. The invincibility frames will get you through the duration of that attack. Riku's barrier will actually absorb all of the hits, so you don't have to worry about countering there.

You get Superglide from the Ryu Dragon Dream Eater.

That one room right before the end with the seemingly endless waves of nobodies is what changed my opinion (for the better) of KHII/FM's battle system. I had to actually think about how to approach that fight with all of the tools I had available.

Exactly, the main problems with battles in that game is that they weren't really designed to be challenging, but all the frame work was there to have some seriously intense and interesting battles.

branny

I'm not really sure where I stand in the boss discussion, but I do remember enjoying those in BbS more than other KH games before it (bear in mind I haven't played any Final Mix). In BbS, almost all seemed to have well-defined attack patterns and totally different design philosophies that required a variety of techniques to be employed by the player. Only a handful of bosses in DDD are as successful because they are actually a little over-ambitious. My favorite bosses in DDD were ones that seemed straight out of BbS. I think you guys have already touched upon the reasons why, talking about the incongruity between potential and actuality.

Successful boss design (and enemy design in general) is not just what the boss can do (though this is still very important) but also what the boss expects of you and whether or not those demands are meaningful and well-implemented. I've always felt that most KH games do a poor job executing on the latter part--whether it be gimmicks that aren't too successful because they don't play up the strengths of the game engine (the fiddly Neverland boss in KH1, the rampant contextual nonsense in KH2, camera/lock-on issues, etc.), blandness from uninspired design that barely requires a change in strategy ("that fight was boring"), or just plain busted fundamental combat mechanics that interfere with every battle (reliance on particular commands or strategies that are overpowered, for example).

The exact same boss in one game can be totally different in another depending on what your character is capable of, too. This is very similar to how having certain abilities/commands for particular battles can also completely change their pace (like, how a battle requiring Second Chance/Once More or a specific level may be poorly tuned for attempting without first meeting such "requirements")--that sort of overall design in regard to a character's general progression at that point in the game is a type of pacing that many people don't even think about. Should this boss be able to be plowed through with a particular setup or a bit of grinding? Should this boss demand more dexterity from the player than their level or commands? How do we balance this for low-level runs? Is this a post-game battle? There are a lot of factors that must be considered for genuinely engaging bosses; it goes far beyond just what kind of flashy attacks they have.

And though this comment strays from the boss discussion, I'd still like to point out that the regular enemies in this game (and those in BbS to a lesser extent) demand more attention and strategy than any earlier KH. I feel like this team has a stronger grasp over things that were previously glossed over in other games. Now, I don't necessarily think said grasp automatically means they implemented their ideas the best way possible, but I think the series is in better hands now judging how much more I enjoyed BbS than games before it.

I don't underatand how people can complain about the story, when it's the first KH that packs the whole plot since a several games to get into KH3.
?

Before BbS, the Xehanort arc lacked direction.

BbS was basically KH0. It set KH3 up perfectly (Sora needing to rescue and reconnect everyone for the upcoming conflict). It also alluded to the first step in attaining that goal (the MoM exam for both Sora and Riku) which is what DDD ended up being about.

I'm also pretty sure most of us complaining about the story in DDD are doing so because we think it's garbage, not irrelevant. :p

njean777

I personally like KH2's bosses the best followed by BBS and COM. All this talk of bosses really wants an HD remake of all the PS2 games, COM:RE included.

Phoenixus

Ugh, Critical Mode is a pain in the balls. Sora's Boss in the Notre Dame world was freakin insane, could barely get a hit on it it was just swinging fire blades about like a psycho.

Definitely appreciate the challenge though. My usual strategy with KH games is to burn through them to (attempt to) take in the story, and then take on the hardest difficulty when unlocked and thoroughly explore the game mechanics properly now I'd be more familiar with them. 10 hours in so far and have just gotten to the Grid again. Great game. :D

Ugh, Critical Mode is a pain in the balls. Sora's Boss in the Notre Dame world was freakin insane, could barely get a hit in it just when psycho swinging about everywhere.

Definitely appreciate the challenge though. My usual strategy with KH games is to burn through them to (attempt to) take in the story, and then take on the hardest difficulty when unlocked and thoroughly explore the game mechanics properly now I'd be more familiar with them. 10 hours in so far and have just gotten to the Grid again. Great game. :D

The Grid is fantastic. Hope you enjoy Critical. I'm a little demotivated, myself; I figure I'll finish the extra content on Proud and then finally move on to Critical.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Picked this game up today, never played a Kingdom Hearts game before. I'm ready to be confused.

lol.

You might want to check this out, as advised by someone else in this thread earlier. I used this, Wikipedia and the in-game Chronicles for the stories ... I'm still lost, but maybe you'll have more luck than me.

Phoenixus

The Grid is fantastic. Hope you enjoy Critical. I'm a little demotivated, myself; I figure I'll finish the extra content on Proud and then finally move on to Critical.

Am definitely curious to see how difficult Proud is in relation to Normal and Critical, I went through the game first on the former and died quite a few times (could chalk that up to not having played a KH game for a while though).

Having
all your previous Dream Eater creatures still with you
on a new game plus definitely helps make Critical a bit more tolerable, the game can still be a git at times that being said.

njean777

lol.

You might want to check this out, as advised by someone else in this thread earlier. I used this, Wikipedia and the in-game Chronicles for the stories ... I'm still lost, but maybe you'll have more luck than me.

yeah it is one of those stories where you should take in a game at a time so as to not get lost, I get the story so far even with how convoluted it is.

Don't worry. You're only missing out on the fan service.

I wouldn't say KH 1 or 2, COM, or BBS was fan service for the overall story... 358/2 was though, I will agree.

Am definitely curious to see how difficult Proud is in relation to Normal and Critical, I went through the game first on the former and died quite a few times (could chalk that up to not having played a KH game for a while though).

Having
all your previous Dream Eater creatures still with you
on a new game plus definitely helps make Critical a bit more tolerable, the game can still be a git at times that being said.

Ah, now that you mention it, I remembered to ask:
when you bring them to the new file, are their levels and link point boards reset? I am assuming they are.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
yeah it is one of those stories where you should take in a game at a time so as to not get lost, I get the story so far even with how convoluted it is.

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 in a loooong time. I also never played Birth By Sleep. That certainly didn't help with me not understanding the story so far and not understanding the ending of Kingdom Hearts 3D.

njean777

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 in a loooong time. I also never played Birth By Sleep. That certainly didn't help with me not understanding the story so far and not understanding the ending of Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Yeah BBS was a really important game, along with 1,2 and COM. 358/2 can be skipped.

Phoenixus

Ah, now that you mention it, I remembered to ask:
when you bring them to the new file, are their levels and link point boards reset? I am assuming they are.

Yup, afraid so. Water Barrel time! Helps to be able to start going for the stronger spells straight away at least. :p

njean777

Where can I find the t-rex everybody is going on about. I am only on the part where you
return to traverse town

Where can I find the t-rex everybody is going on about. I am only on the part where you
return to traverse town
The Dream Eater? I obtained a Tyranto Rex very late in the game because farming the necessary ingredients was rather difficult. One way is to use an Epic Fantasy and three Intrepid Fantasies. There are other ways to create stronger versions, but those require Fantasy ingredients as well.

I'm on my phone, so I can't efficiently detail where to get specific ones, but you can generally get Fantasy ingredients by completing Special Portals for each character. You can tell that a Special Portal is active in a world if the Forecast says that a monster has been sighted.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah BBS was a really important game, along with 1,2 and COM. 358/2 can be skipped.

Yeah, didn't really want to buy a PSP for one game - so I skipped Birth By Sleep. If I had more interest in PSP software, it would have been a non-issue.

I actually never ended up completing Chain of Memories or 358/2 Days.

Random observation of the day:

It was only until after I got the High Jump upgrade from Prankster's Paradise that I realized that the levels and the treasures were designed around honest to goodness platforming. And here I was thinking that the obstacles leading up to most of the treasures were just there for decor while I flew around in the sky with flowmotion like fucking Superman.

EDIT: I hear people talking about the drop system like it played any serious role in this game. Get a few cheap Drop-Me-Not's and it'll only be a problem when you have to drop manually just so you can actually advance the game.

There's a lot of major gameplay elements that really needs to go back to the drawing board, but I'm having fun just going around bashing everything with flowmotion despite that.

return to traverse town

You get the recipe automatically when you advance the story as Sora in the
The Three Musketeers.
By then I already had the necessary ingredients in my inventory.

Top Bottom