• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Mediking

Does anybody have any idea when Kingdom Hearts 2.8 will release this year?

And do you think we will get the KH collection on PS4? I would totally buy it...

Famassu

Does anybody have any idea when Kingdom Hearts 2.8 will release this year?

And do you think we will get the KH collection on PS4? I would totally buy it...
Nothing official. Maybe mid-to-late Summer or early Fall 2016 at latest for Japan & later in 2016 elsewhere. They'll probably want to have a 3-4 month marketing cycle for the collection and since they haven't announced any release plans yet, I'm somewhat doubtful it'll manage to be released this Spring, unless they announce the release date within the next 2-3 weeks (in which case I could maybe see a late May/early June release for Japan). I imagine they are having the same kind of problems with Aqua's episode they had with Episode Duscae, except instead of releasing something rushed that needed to be patched like Episode Duscae 1.0, I'm hoping it'll be more fun from the offset. They are knee deep in KHIII's development, yet have to finish a somewhat sizable playable segment that will be released to the public to play which is as close to the finished KHIII from a tech & gameplay perspective as possible, even create completely new content for it instead of just using an area from KHIII like Episode Duscae used from FFXV. That's not an easy task and I'm not surprised if that's holding back the release a bit.

And I wouldn't be expecting any kind of KH Mega Collection for PS4 any time soon, if ever. They are too busy with finishing both 2.8 & 3 to worry about porting four other games to PS4 while they are at it. If they do release 1.5 & 2.5 for PS4, I'd imagine they'll be separate releases again & maybe come after KHIII's release. Getting them to work on PS4 isn't as easy as just flicking a switch (if they want the quality to not be half-assed/disappointing like certain other PS4 ports), meaning the ports will still cost them money and as such I'm not sure how feasible it'd be for them to release two collections with several huge JRPGs in them in a single package without first making a bit more money out of them with separate releases. Some people think that because they did the ports for PS3 already, they should release them for <20$ for PS4 or else it's a total rip-off. SQEX probably doesn't view it that way...

Famassu

I expect 2.8 by December. And as dumb as it seems I really don't think they are going to do a mega khi collection, at least not before 3
I feel previous KH Collections on PS4 is a "never say never" kind of a deal, but I'm sure the way Square Enix will do it (probably release 1.5 & 2.5 separately again, each for 60$) will not satisfy certain fans who probably fantasize they'll get 1.5 + 2.5 for <60$ day 1 just because they were already a thing on PS3.

Kinsei

Banned
I finally did it!

BmuOapo.png

what am i doing with my life

I'd like to do that, but then I remember the KH1 and CoM trophies require you to play on Beginner.

Then again I already have the trophy for completing the journal in CoM so maybe I should just bite the bullet and plat them.

Nothing official. Maybe mid-to-late Summer or early Fall 2016 at latest for Japan & later in 2016 elsewhere. They'll probably want to have a 3-4 month marketing cycle for the collection and since they haven't announced any release plans yet, I'm somewhat doubtful it'll manage to be released this Spring, unless they announce the release date within the next 2-3 weeks (in which case I could maybe see a late May/early June release for Japan). I imagine they are having the same kind of problems with Aqua's episode they had with Episode Duscae, except instead of releasing something rushed that needed to be patched like Episode Duscae 1.0, I'm hoping it'll be more fun from the offset. They are knee deep in KHIII's development, yet have to finish a somewhat sizable playable segment that will be released to the public to play which is as close to the finished KHIII from a tech & gameplay perspective as possible, even create completely new content for it instead of just using an area from KHIII like Episode Duscae used from FFXV. That's not an easy task and I'm not surprised if that's holding back the release a bit.

And I wouldn't be expecting any kind of KH Mega Collection for PS4 any time soon, if ever. They are too busy with finishing both 2.8 & 3 to worry about porting four other games to PS4 while they are at it. If they do release 1.5 & 2.5 for PS4, I'd imagine they'll be separate releases again & maybe come after KHIII's release. Getting them to work on PS4 isn't as easy as just flicking a switch (if they want the quality to not be half-assed/disappointing like certain other PS4 ports), meaning the ports will still cost them money and as such I'm not sure how feasible it'd be for them to release two collections with several huge JRPGs in them in a single package without first making a bit more money out of them with separate releases. Some people think that because they did the ports for PS3 already, they should release them for <20$ for PS4 or else it's a total rip-off. SQEX probably doesn't view it that way...

Square could outsource the ports since the work on remastering has already been done

I feel previous KH Collections on PS4 is a "never say never" kind of a deal, but I'm sure the way Square Enix will do it (probably release 1.5 & 2.5 separately again, each for 60$) will not satisfy certain fans who probably fantasize they'll get 1.5 + 2.5 for <60$ day 1 just because they were already a thing on PS3.
Definitely I personally don't expect them together . I expect 1.5 redone than 2.5 redone $60 dollars

At this point I'm half expecting 2.8 to be 2017 in the west (they never announced 2016 for us AFAIK). That and the fact we have yet to see anything gameplay wise from 0.2. At the very least I'm not expecting it before November-December.

Also in my fantasy world I like to pretend that the atrocious looking 0.2 artstyle is because of early development rather than conscious choice. The fact that the PS2 titles (hell, the PSP title) looks better is just sad. But to be fair they are not alone in this, personally I think there are many characters that just look plain wrong in the Disney Infinity series just because they like to mutilate them to fit an artstyle.

Seda

At this point I'm half expecting 2.8 to be 2017 in the west (they never announced 2016 for us AFAIK).

Not that this is set in stone, but according to Square Enix's North American press site:
Final Fantasy XV - 2016
World of Final Fantasy - 2016
STAR OCEAN: Integrity and Faithlessness - 2016
KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue - TBA

&#9488;(&#12484;)&#9484;

DKHF

At this point I'm half expecting 2.8 to be 2017 in the west (they never announced 2016 for us AFAIK). That and the fact we have yet to see anything gameplay wise from 0.2. At the very least I'm not expecting it before November-December.

Also in my fantasy world I like to pretend that the atrocious looking 0.2 artstyle is because of early development rather than conscious choice. the fact that the PS2 titles (hell, the PSP title) looks better is just sad. But to be fair they are not alone in this, personally I think there are many characters that just look plain wrong in the Disney Infinity series just because they like to mutilate them to fit an artstyle.

Not that this is set in stone, but according to Square Enix's North American press site:
Final Fantasy XV - 2016
World of Final Fantasy - 2016
STAR OCEAN: Integrity and Faithlessness - 2016
KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue - TBA

&#9488;(&#12484;)&#9484;
The only real confirmation for a 2.8 2016 release in the west was in the video description of the official English TGS and Jump Festa trailers

Find out more information about all the magical content in Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, then prepare yourself for a sneak peek at Kingdom Hearts III and an all-new Attraction Flow attack!

The complete Kingdom Hearts saga to date is now in HD! Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue contains the newly remastered Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, the cinematics from Kingdom Hearts Unchained &#967; [chi], and a special all new chapter taking place after the events of Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. Coming 2016!

But it doesn't make sense to not include that in the actual video.

DKHF

Exactly what I said reading that. Give it to bluepoint or sumo, even.

Just fix the load times :p
This is what I've been wanting for a long time. Bluepoint did the MGS collection which would be comparable to porting the 1.5 and 2.5 games over (only the KH collection would be 1 PSP game and 3 PS2 games instead of 2 and they're already on PS3). But I'm not expecting it anytime soon if it happens.

Mediking

I played Dream Drop Distance on my 3DS and I did like it but I do hope Square Enix adds a little bit of new content to it in KH 2.8... A new world to explore would be perfect. Or maybe a few more secret bosses and cutscenes.

Kinsei

Banned
I played Dream Drop Distance on my 3DS and I did like it but I do hope Square Enix adds a little bit of new content to it in KH 2.8... A new world to explore would be perfect. Or maybe a few more secret bosses and cutscenes.

If that was the case they would have called it Dream Drop Distance Final Mix. I wouldn't expect any new content if I were you.

Malyse

You're not getting a new world.

Famassu

Also in my fantasy world I like to pretend that the atrocious looking 0.2 artstyle is because of early development rather than conscious choice. The fact that the PS2 titles (hell, the PSP title) looks better is just sad. But to be fair they are not alone in this, personally I think there are many characters that just look plain wrong in the Disney Infinity series just because they like to mutilate them to fit an artstyle.
I've thought about that and I've got a few theories why Kairi, Riku, Mickey & Yensid look so horrible:

1) the simplest explanation is that it's just an early build/subject to change, something that the negative feedback to the style might still help change prior to release

2) maybe they have outsourced some asset creation (so that 0.2 would have as little impact on KHIII's development as possible) to some company who just suck at nailing the KH look, much like how (IIRC) FFX HD's character models looked really off (especially when first shown, less so at release, though still not perfect) because the company SQEX outsourced the work to didn't do a good job of recreating the old look

3) they just look wonky because they are kind of a half-assedly touched up middle ground between the KHII character designs/models & slightly different look of KHIII. I mean, they couldn't just keep the KHII character models, it would look kinda silly if the intro to 0.2 looks like II & DDD in HD and then Aqua's portion is like KHIII, yet there's very little sense in going through the huge effort of creating PS4 level character models of the KHII look of them if we only see these character models in 0.2 and for, like, 1 or 2 minutes altogether. So we end up something that is different than the PS2 look but not quite there when it comes to looking like finished PS4/KHIII level assets.

4) some kind of combination of above reasons.

I actually agree it might be a mix of all you stated. I mean if we only see one little cutscene of those 4 than we play with aqua the entire time i guess it makes sense. Plus the back of aqua and the environment in general looks way better than that entire scene lol so its obvious the focus is on aqua and her world.

Malyse

Personally, I'm not overly concerned. I want the game to match the CGI in the PS2 games, and that's what I'm getting:

V85PxCj.png

Just a bit more with the cloth physics are we're there.

Besides, looks leagues better than the teaser

large.jpg

Personally, I'm not overly concerned. I want the game to match the CGI in the PS2 games, and that's what I'm getting:

V85PxCj.png

Just a bit more with the cloth physics are we're there.

Besides, looks leagues better than the teaser

large.jpg
That teaser did nothing for me back than im loving the models now tho can't wait to see riku and kairi in new outfits. Wonder is axel will get one.

HMD

I hate the doll like models, everything looks kinda dead/fake in KH3. I don't know how to describe it but I'm not a fan of it.

Mediking

I think one of the best things we can expect from Kingdom Hearts is that there should be no more static images of characters faces in cutscenes. They all should have vibrant facial expressions! :D

sasuke_91

I think one of the best things we can expect from Kingdom Hearts is that there should be no more static images of characters faces in cutscenes. They all should have vibrant facial expressions! :D

Those static faces were so ugly in KH1, but when there were facial expressions, they looked really really good. In my opinion KH1 is still a pretty game.

Top Bottom