• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Mediking

Those static faces were so ugly in KH1, but when there were facial expressions, they looked really really good. In my opinion KH1 is still a pretty game.

If I see one single static face in Kingdom Hearts 3 then I'm gonna scream. PS4 (and Xbox One) should be powerful enough to not have this problem.

Static faces have a certain charm to them but that gets destroyed by any closeup that really shows the low resolution and/or when the frame transition is bad/weird.

GBDuYwn.gif

Famassu

Considering how Sora has been shown with no static faces in gameplay situations, I'm sure they've done away with them for good with the rest of the game & its characters as well.

At most there might be a few unimportant NPCs that still do static faces, me thinks, but I doubt even that, really.

Malyse

Oh wow. Look at the person who isn't playing the game try to correct the person who is! Let's just pretend that Kingdom Hearts doesn't know what a red herring is and didn't spend the entire first game telling us that the villain's name was Ansem. That sounds productive!

It's *heavily* implied that we are in the Realm of Sleep, as Chirithy is a Dream Eater. We know that time isn't in order in the RoS as we run into early versions of Mickey twice. The only real location in [chi] is Daybreak Town; everything else is a construct. The mansion in Twilight Town is almost certainly owned by the Unicornis Foreteller; in the beginning of KH2 when you start as Sora, there are multiple other sleeping pods in use in the area. This is probably where the player character is during the game. We're covering old events, but we aren't necessarily in the past, which is also why we can interact with Snow and Aladdin and Belke without fucking up the timeline. We were never there.

Oh wow. Look at the person who isn't playing the game try to correct the person who is! Let's just pretend that Kingdom Hearts doesn't know what a red herring is and didn't spend the entire first game telling us that the villain's name was Ansem. That sounds productive!

It's *heavily* implied that we are in the Realm of Sleep, as Chirithy is a Dream Eater. We know that time isn't in order in the RoS as we run into early versions of Mickey twice. The only real location in [chi] is Daybreak Town; everything else is a construct. The mansion in Twilight Town is almost certainly owned by the Unicornis Foreteller; in the beginning of KH2 when you start as Sora, there are multiple other sleeping pods in use in the area. This is probably where the player character is during the game. We're covering old events, but we aren't necessarily in the past, which is also why we can interact with Snow and Aladdin and Belke without fucking up the timeline. We were never there.
O no. Im so confused now.

Psxphile

god damn, son

I just thought it was funny to read your post, click the link, and be greeted by that first line. If I thought it meant you were going to blow up I wouldn't have bothered.

...Is it bad that this made some degree of sense to me?

aravuus

I have no fucking idea what you're talking about, but now I want to play X/chi/whatever even more

Famassu

Noooo lol I finally got all the story together in my head. Chi is about to screw that up isn't it?
Still doesn't seem like anything too important has happened in Chi. Still seems like a Coded situation where most of the story is fluff that doesn't do much else but introduce a few new concepts into the KH mythos and then just keep dragging out a couple of storylines (mysterious black-hooded figure, the foreteller's tower & what is going on in there) with very little meat to it all. I'd imagine that by the end, all Chi will amount to is a few big revelations about some stuff that will be so integral to KHIII's story that having experienced Chi won't be all that beneficial since they'll probably explain it all in far more detail in KHIII.

So far, the story seems to amount to:

There are these foretellers who set up these guilds of keyblade wielders whose aim is to collect light to battle darkness -> these foretellers have some kind of book of prophecy that predicts (or perhaps causes) the Keyblade war that succumbs all the worlds into darkness -> seems like the unity of the foretellers starts to crack as they worry about the upcoming darkness and they start to act in their own interests -> the foretellers have secrets of their own and there's a mysterious black-hooded figure who's somehow connected to them -> enter player character who kind of starts to notice something is not right behind the scenes, some ominous shit seems to be going on -> PC starts to investigate things -> bump into someone who is also interested in these things, immediately befriends him -> friend disappears as more ominous things are hinted at without much substance beyond "these dudes are maybe doing something that isn't good", "something bad is about to happen" and "this is probably a bad guy" -> that's pretty much it.

There's very little story in Chi so far, especially anything of substance.

O no. Im so confused now.
Probably nothing to be too confused about. Instead of being like Birth By Sleep where we kind of experience that part of history as it happens, seems like with Chi, seems like you can maybe imagine it as if someone is watching/experiencing a dream or a memory of past events (and through KH's magic mumbojumbo, maybe interacting with it somehow). Maybe someone like Yensid, Mickey or Xehanort has set up a system that allows one to gain knowledge about the past so that they can make better sense out of something happening in the present or can use in the future somehow.

Maybe someone is using the realm of sleep to gain access to the "hidden data" inside Sora and the stuff about the distant past is what is there. Or something

I like how big games get announced and released while KH3 exists in a dimensional rift where time doesn't flow.

Uncharted 4 was announced 5 months after KH3, had development troubles of it's own and got delayed twice. And I'm willing to bet right now that the next KH3 trailer we get after UC4 is out will end with ''Now in Development''

Wouldn't have it any other way.

DKHF

I like how big games get announced and released while KH3 exists in a dimensional rift where time doesn't flow.

Uncharted 4 was announced 5 months after KH3, had development troubles of it's own and got delayed twice. And I'm willing to bet right now that the next KH3 trailer we get after UC4 is out will end with ''Now in Development''

Yep and I think KH3 started development around the same time as UC4 (at least Amy Hennig's version that seems largely scrapped) which was in early 2013/late 2012.

Though to be fair to the Osaka team this is their first console game (at least for KH) and they're bringing a series that has only been on PS2 level or weaker hardware for 14 years to current gen systems which is a huge jump. So 4 years of development time is fair (assuming we get the game in 2017).

Edit: Actually I think KH3 development started earlier, maybe in mid-2012 when Square Enix got PS4 and Xbox One dev kits.

Famassu

One is a what will likely be a 40-50+ hour JRPG with somewhat open environments, the other is probably a 10-15 hour linear romp. One is also developed by one of the most technically talented teams in the industry who have had plenty of experience developing more modern games & who could mostly focus on a single game with no distractions, while the Osaka Team had to take a while to get accustomed to more modern development practices & tech, since most they have ever done are pretty much PS2+ level games and by the time KHIII releases, Osaka Team has also gone through the huge effort of remastering 5 big JRPGs, developing Aqua's playable chapter in PS4 quality, creating the (short?) movie of Chi & extending + remastering two game's cinematics into a movie length film.

Comparing different games's development times is silly. KHIII's development doesn't seem like it has been anything overly difficult, apart from having to switch from Luminous to UE4 when the FFXV team hogged the Luminous team all for themselves, which set back the development a bit. And just because we have seen fairly little of KHIII doesn't really mean anything when it comes to how its development is advancing. It's just not releasing this year so there's no reason to have revealed all that much more about the game than they already have.

Also, DKHF, KHIII's development probably started around Q3 2012, after Dream Drop Distance's development & localization were finished. It might've been pre-development stuff at first, mostly, but Nomura hinted at the Osaka team having started what would be a major new project sometime in Fall 2012.

DKHF

Also, DKHF, KHIII's development probably started around Q3 2012, after Dream Drop Distance's development & localization were finished. It might've been pre-development stuff at first, mostly, but Nomura hinted at the Osaka team having started what would be a major new project sometime in Fall 2012.
This was/is my suspicion as well, maybe even in Q2 (at least pre-production) since I don't think the majority of the Osaka team would have been involved with DDD's localization after its JPN release in March 2012. I had just seen people on GAF claiming KH3's development started in early 2013 but I doubted it.

One is a what will likely be a 40-50+ hour JRPG with somewhat open environments, the other is probably a 10-15 hour linear romp. One is also developed by one of the most technically talented teams in the industry who have had plenty of experience developing more modern games & who could mostly focus on a single game with no distractions, while the Osaka Team had to take a while to get accustomed to more modern development practices & tech, since most they have ever done are pretty much PS2+ level games and by the time KHIII releases, Osaka Team has also gone through the huge effort of remastering 5 big JRPGs, developing Aqua's playable chapter in PS4 quality, creating the (short?) movie of Chi & extending + remastering two game's cinematics into a movie length film.

Comparing different games's development times is silly. KHIII's development doesn't seem like it has been anything overly difficult, apart from having to switch from Luminous to UE4 when the FFXV team hogged the Luminous team all for themselves, which set back the development a bit. And just because we have seen fairly little of KHIII doesn't really mean anything when it comes to how its development is advancing. It's just not releasing this year so there's no reason to have revealed all that much more about the game than they already have.

Development time is not what I am comparing or complaining about. My problem is games being announced too early. Uncharted 4 was announced too early also but KH3 is one of the worst offenders in a while and concidering the antics of SE before there is no excuse I'm buying. And I'll enjoy ragging on em for as long as the game has no release date.

Fallout 4 is perhaps the most optimal case for announcement->release cycle.

Malyse

Doesn't change the fact it was announced too early. Heck, it makes the situation even worse if you announced a game when the development wasn't even really progressing.

I don't disagree. But that's part of the reason it's taking so long.

-------

I want a fucking Captain EO world.

Famassu

Development time is not what I am comparing or complaining about. My problem is games being announced too early. Uncharted 4 was announced too early also but KH3 is one of the worst offenders in a while and concidering the antics of SE before there is no excuse I'm buying. And I'll enjoy ragging on em for as long as the game has no release date.

Fallout 4 is perhaps the most optimal case for announcement->release cycle.
They had a perfectly reasonable & understandable explanation for announcing KHIII so early. 1) it had been 7,5 years since KHII, they just wanted fans to know that they are FINALLY working on THE third mainline KH & conclusion to the KH story so far and 2) they needed to show that they are going to have some serious support for next-gen consoles/PS4, just to hype the consoles a bit more & to give even early adopters a look at what the platforms would hold for them past the first year or two of the consoles' lives, instead of just the rushed launch crap.

And I don't really see what's so horrible in having official confirmation that a game exists & is being actively worked on vs. us KNOWING that some developers like Naughty Dog & Bethesda are developing Uncharted 4 & Fallout 4, but publishers refusing to officially announce them. I much prefer having that official confirmation and at least having the chance of hearing some news & seeing footage of a game, rather than getting not-so-subtle hints that basically confirm it, but not getting any actual information about who are working on it, how development is going, what we can expect of the game etc. because, hey, it hasn't been OFFICIALLY announced yet! Just sounds so drama queen-ish to whine about such a thing.

Besides, anyone who had followed Nomura's interviews/SQEX around 2012/2013 already knew Osaka team had moved on to the development of KHIII. It really didn't change much that they announced it, other than making Sony's E3 2013 press event even more HYPE. Long before KHIII even entered development it was confirmed that Dream Drop Distance would be the last major KH release before they'd move to develop KHIII, DDD itself was clearly & purely setup for the finale in KHIII and as I pointed out Nomura himself confirmed that the Osaka Team was already working on a major project soon after DDD's development ended, so they didn't really do much else but confirm what many of us had already figured out.

Just sounds so childish to whine about an early announcement like this, especially when they were relatively open about the game's state around the announcement and have remained so afterwards. It would be different if they had made it seem as if KHIII was going to be released within 12 months after E3 2013 or something. And I somewhat understand it in extreme cases (like ASOIAF, Beyond Good & Evil 2 and FFVsXIII) AFTER people have waited for years without anything to show for it & uncertainty still shrouding the projects. But by all means, they were honest about the fact that the development was still early so they didn't set any false expectations and KHIII's development seems to have advanced quite smoothly apart from the engine switch.

We have seen some pretty good & relatively polished looking direct feed gameplay from the game that shows clear progress from early builds/prototypes to a more finished product, have seen some of the new major gameplay features, know of 4 or 5 of the worlds that will be in the game etc. It's far from how VsXIII was pushed aside for over half a decade after its announcement. KHIII had been worked on for almost a year at the time of the announcement and they've continued working on it actively for these 3 years after its announcement.

There's really nothing wrong with announcing a game early. More of a problem with you obsessing about a game or being too impatient and all GIMME EVERYTHING NOW NOW NOW NOW if it's that horrible to wait for a game for a few years than there being anything wrong with publishers announcing long term plans. Movie studios like Disney/Marvel announce their movie plans for, like, 4-5 years into the future and I don't see movie folk whining about that (other than some people crying about there being so many superhero movies, creative bankruptcy etc.). Bethesda's Fallout 4 is one way to do it, but that doesn't mean everyone should wait until a few months before release to announce their games. Bethesda & Rockstar only do it because they know they have a tight enough grip of the masses balls that they don't need much hype until they are close to release. Doesn't mean that's some kind of "optimal" way of doing things.

aravuus

They had a perfectly reasonable & understandable explanation for announcing KHIII so early. 1) it had been 7,5 years since KHII, they just wanted fans to know that they are FINALLY working on THE third mainline KH & conclusion to the KH story so far and 2) they needed to show that they are going to have some serious support for next-gen consoles/PS4, just to hype the consoles a bit more & to give even early adopters a look at what the platforms would hold for them past the first year or two of the consoles' lives, instead of just the rushed launch crap.

And I don't really see what's so horrible in having official confirmation that a game exists & is being actively worked on vs. us KNOWING that some developers like Naughty Dog & Bethesda are developing Uncharted 4 & Fallout 4, but publishers refusing to officially announce them. I much prefer having that official confirmation and at least having the chance of hearing some news & seeing footage of a game, rather than getting not-so-subtle hints that basically confirm it, but not getting any actual information about who are working on it, how development is going, what we can expect of the game etc. because, hey, it hasn't been OFFICIALLY announced yet! Just sounds so drama queen-ish to whine about such a thing.

Besides, anyone who had followed Nomura's interviews/SQEX around 2012/2013 already knew Osaka team had moved on to the development of KHIII. It really didn't change much that they announced it, other than making Sony's E3 2013 press event even more HYPE. Long before KHIII even entered development it was confirmed that Dream Drop Distance would be the last major KH release before they'd move to develop KHIII, DDD itself was clearly & purely setup for the finale in KHIII and as I pointed out Nomura himself confirmed that the Osaka Team was already working on a major project soon after DDD's development ended, so they didn't really do much else but confirm what many of us had already figured out.

Just sounds so childish to whine about an early announcement like this, especially when they were relatively open about the game's state around the announcement and have remained so afterwards. It would be different if they had made it seem as if KHIII was going to be released within 12 months after E3 2013 or something. And I somewhat understand it in extreme cases (like ASOIAF, Beyond Good & Evil 2 and FFVsXIII) AFTER people have waited for years without anything to show for it & uncertainty still shrouding the projects. But by all means, they were honest about the fact that the development was still early so they didn't set any false expectations and KHIII's development seems to have advanced quite smoothly apart from the engine switch.

We have seen some pretty good & relatively polished looking direct feed gameplay from the game that shows clear progress from early builds/prototypes to a more finished product, have seen some of the new major gameplay features, know of 4 or 5 of the worlds that will be in the game etc. It's far from how VsXIII was pushed aside for over half a decade after its announcement. KHIII had been worked on for almost a year at the time of the announcement and they've continued working on it actively for these 3 years after its announcement.

There's really nothing wrong with announcing a game early. More of a problem with you obsessing about a game or being too impatient and all GIMME EVERYTHING NOW NOW NOW NOW if it's that horrible to wait for a game for a few years than there being anything wrong with publishers announcing long term plans. Movie studios like Disney/Marvel announce their movie plans for, like, 4-5 years into the future and I don't see movie folk whining about that (other than some people crying about there being so many superhero movies, creative bankruptcy etc.). Bethesda's Fallout 4 is one way to do it, but that doesn't mean everyone should wait until a few months before release to announce their games. Bethesda & Rockstar only do it because they know they have a tight enough grip of the masses balls that they don't need much hype until they are close to release. Doesn't mean that's some kind of "optimal" way of doing things.

Funny how Frank's post was really just a nonchalant "I'm not a fan of early announcements" that you're trying to construe as childish drama queen whining while, hilariously enough, YOUR post comes off very whiny.

FWIW, I also think it's definitely better to announce a game 6-12 months before release, not years. I certainly don't agree with the reasoning in your first paragraph. But I'm not going to write a short novel of it, so if you want to think of me as an obsessed, impatient, childish drama queen, go ahead, I guess.

botty

Banned
Wow the lack of a new kingdom hearts game since DDD has everyone on edge huh. Probably makes matters worse that we haven't had a great kingdom hearts story since days.

Psxphile

we have quote tags for a reason, people

I like the cut of the new girl's jib, but I bet they're already shipping her with Ephemera.

gosoxtim

skuld name came from norse mythology one of the three norns. Like the fates in Greek mythology, these are three female figures the oversee the destiny of mankind - past, present and future. Skuld is the norn of the future.

Psxphile

skuld name came from norse mythology one of the three norns. Like the fates in Greek mythology, these are three female figures the oversee the destiny of mankind - past, present and future. Skuld is the norn of the future.

That is, almost word-for-word from the artist's tumblr who drew this:

what's that about? Anyway, classic Skuld's part of a trio so I guess we should expect an Urd and a Verdandi at some point, right?

Chi spoilers:
] leading Ava to wonder if the dream came from Ephemera himself. She explains that as he grew closer to the truth, he must have found himself caught up in another dimension that the Foretellers call Unchained. If Ephemera is the one who sent the dream, you must be nearing that dimension--and the truth--as well
what the fuck

Malyse

Reading Chi stuff is so weird but so interesting.
[chi] has a MMO plot, but it's going some places. Like, after you've been playing for hundreds of hours and shit is starting to get real, seeing your character speak for the first time is one hell of a moment.

Top Bottom