• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

raven777

0.2's last boss is the worst (non optional) designed boss in the entire series, by far. Everything about that fight reeks of bad design, and figuring out how to even survive, let alone damage the final phase is obtuse as all hell. Every single one of Aqua's defensive and mobility options are nigh useless in that last fight.

It's like the entire fight was designed with Birth by Sleep's mechanics and options (infinte cartwheel spam, access to more than one cast of Cure at a time without a full recharge, etc.) in mind and they just didn't bother balancing it.

I wouldn't be too surprised if that was boss in KH3 and they just ported it straight to 0.2...

Well that back cover movie was totally pointless

Hey, let's introduce a bunch of characters you don't care about, watch them bicker for an hour over some vague bullshit and have the whole thing end without any real conclusion

Please go fuck yourself Nomura

Nose Master

DDD is an odd game. Battling feels so low effort and weird cause it's just flowmotion spam. Just killed a boss with 15 seconds on the drop timer, though!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well that back cover movie was totally pointless

Hey, let's introduce a bunch of characters you don't care about, watch them bicker for an hour over some vague bullshit and have the whole thing end without any real conclusion

Please go fuck yourself Nomura

Holy hyperbole batman. if you dont have any investment in the series dont bother man

I watched Back Cover last night.

It was enjoyable purely for the little references to the mobile game and the characters that appear there. Otherwise, I was pretty hyped about watching it and was sort of disappointed it didn't go anywhere with it...

Also...

"It's a secret..."

Me: Okay. I can deal with that.

"Bah. I'll tell you!"

Me: Oh! This is cool they're gonna say what's in there.

*whisper whisper*

Me: Come on... Really?

Holy hyperbole batman. if you dont have any investment in the series dont bother man
That's the problem, I have a tonne of investment in the series and the movie is just a whole lot of nothing. I can't imagine how unsatisying this is if you had no investment

Same goes for 0.2 story

wow hey, we know what happened to mickeys shirt, golly gee wilickers

Vashetti

Banned
I'm just running aroung Traverse Town at the moment grinding. I know it's only the beginning, but does it pick up?

I don't like the Flowmotion system :(

Yeah they're pretty fun, I like that aspect

I despise how Sora randomly has his KH1 appearance

Also Haley Joel Osment can't do the voice anymore :(

Doesn't help that DDD script for Sora is unbearable (well, maybe not that bad...)

Most of the time he is a creepy stereotype rather than likeable protagonist. I'm still at the beginning so my memory is a little hazy on details but right from the start it's obvious they try to show a stark contrast between the personalities of Sora and Riku and how they interact with Neku/Joshua when they first meet. Sora is immediately friendly and trusting while Riku flat out says he doesn't trust him.

Problem is how they present Sora's more naive personality. It's not inherently bad idea but if you threw the younger Sora from KH1 into the same scene he would act different. He wouldn't be smiling all the time without reason or calling anyone a friend after 10 seconds of meeting a guy.

Maybe I'm being unfair and have rose tinted glasses and still need to play trough the later parts of DDD to really refresh my memory. But random comparison being, which of these two do you find more natural and engaging (closest comparison I can think of): Sora being a bit hostile towards Leon and Yuffie when they first meet or Sora being creepily friendly and happy toward Neku.

xviper

do you guys recommend getting the game ?? is the 3ds KH good compared to KH1 and 2 ?

and how long is 0.2 and is it any good ?

do you guys recommend getting the game ?? is the 3ds KH good compared to KH1 and 2 ?

and how long is 0.2 and is it any good ?

It's not good compared to 1 and 2 but it's worth checkin out if you are a fan of the series.

0.2 is like 2.5-3 hours long. It's ok, some things are great and some less so. Do not get it at full price just for 0.2 doe obviously.

Ray Down

Banned
You can be invested in the series and still think certain things are dumb and/or don't like said things.

This, most fans are like this.

Like at FF or comic fans.

You being a fan doesn't mean you can't be critical over the moves they pull or what they do. Especially if you are paying 60 bucks in part of HD cut scene's that add fuck all to the verse/lore.

I can't speak for myself though since I didn't buy it.

RocknRola

Man, 0.2 is just...WOW. If KH3 is that but even better, it's gonna be one hell of a game! Everything just looks and feels sooo much better! To be fair they did kinda skip the 7th gen and jumped right ahead from the 6th gen to the 8th gen, so the bump is a whole lot bigger and more impressive than usual.

The particle effects and the far more fluid movements still blow my mind. Best demo they could have done for KH3 really.

As for the bosses, pretty uninspired IMO. The final boss variant had potential, but I feel they didn't really gives us that many tools to properly deal with such a varied enemy moveset (nor does the companion AI seem useful for more than a quick heal here and there). Dunno, felt like a whole lot of stuff was missing in that particular fight.

I liked the level design quite a bit, especially the first 2 areas. Gives me some hope that platforming and exploration can have some real meat and quality to them in the future.

Now if only KH3 released sometime before I reach my 80's......

PS: Water. We need water magic. I want water magic soooo damn bad! :O Those enemies were the best of the bunch IMO!

Lnds500

This, most fans are like this.

Like at FF or comic fans.

You being a fan doesn't mean you can't be critical over the moves they pull or what they do. Especially if you are paying 60 bucks in part of HD cut scene's that add fuck all to the verse/lore.

I can't speak for myself though since I didn't buy it.

Nah I agree with that and I did buy it..

0.2 has problems that show that the team has a lot of work ahead of them and that KH3 not been up to AAA standards or better than KH2 is a very real possibility IMO.

Back Cover was a bad joke but we saw that coming.

I am not confident that they can do all of the things that KH3 needs to do: better story, improve the graphics and artstyle, advance the gameplay in a meaningful way from KH2, polish the product. It's a lot of work for a team who lacks experience.

Nose Master

DDD has ups and downs. Lots of new worlds and the pokemans system is fun. Flowmotion is really awkward at times, though. You get used to it, and it lets you zip around the maps really quickly.

Anyone know off hand which monster gets Once More in DDD?

Nah I agree with that and I did buy it..

0.2 has problems that show that the team has a lot of work ahead of them and that KH3 not been up to AAA standards or better than KH2 is a very real possibility IMO.

Back Cover was a bad joke but we saw that coming.

I am not confident that they can do all of the things that KH3 needs to do: better story, improve the graphics and artstyle, advance the gameplay in a meaningful way from KH2, polish the product. It's a lot of work for a team who lacks experience.

...huh? I thought 0.2 felt perfectly fine. Am I missing something?

If KH3 plays like 0.2 it should be great. Of course it can be better, but its not like 0.2 was bad or anything.

Ray Down

Banned
DDD has ups and downs. Lots of new worlds and the pokemans system is fun. Flowmotion is really awkward at times, though. You get used to it, and it lets you zip around the maps really quickly.

I didn't care for it at all.

If I'm remembering correctly, you learn/level up commands though these guys. Your progression to build your character the way you want are just tied down to them when in BBS it wasn't, that's an annoying step back.

Berordn

If I'm remembering correctly, you learn/level up commands though these guys. Your progression to build your character the way you want are just tied down to them when in BBS it wasn't, that's an annoying step back.

I hate it being tied to the dream eaters, but I actually don't mind it slowing down the characters progression. It wasn't hard to get overpowered out the gate in BBS by following a melding guide, DDD at least gives you a sense of growth with the abilities.

That said, it's still a worse system than the ability melding and there's fewer good abilities in general.

RocknRola

This is a good analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLGgVdcvW-g

It's not bad, but it has some problems that need to be addressed imo. Critical Mode sounds completely unbalanced for example.

Can confirm. Am now going through it on Critical. The Demon Tower boss is just...*ugh*.... otherwise, you just gotta move fast and make use of your abilities. Some mob combinations are annoying too (Neo Shadows + Fire or Water dudes).

Back cover was utterly pointless, 0.2 I honestly could've watched the ending and that's it, DDD is great tho but honestly I'm mad the mega fan in my jumped at this at $60 never thought I'd regret a gaming purchase (only other time was no man's sky) let alone be so down on something involving KH.

RocknRola

Back cover was utterly pointless, 0.2 I honestly could've watched the ending and that's it, DDD is great tho but honestly I'm mad the mega fan in my jumped at this at $60 never thought I'd regret a gaming purchase (only other time was no man's sky) let alone be so down on something involving KH.

0.2 alone for me was kinda worth it already :p I've been waiting for so long for something made for any current home console hardware that despite it's short length it was one hell of ride for me!

Gonna start DDD soon enough and see what that's all about, but I already kinda know the story for that one.

I hate it being tied to the dream eaters, but I actually don't mind it slowing down the characters progression. It wasn't hard to get overpowered out the gate in BBS by following a melding guide, DDD at least gives you a sense of growth with the abilities.

That said, it's still a worse system than the ability melding and there's fewer good abilities in general.

I kind of appreciated BBS' FFVIII esque approach to letting how broken you are be proportional to how much time you're willing to invest in getting to that point.

yunbuns

Also Haley Joel Osment can't do the voice anymore :(

Isn't Sora like 16/17 now and his voice should have dropped somewhat? HJO was great as Vanitas so I really think shouldn't try to make him sound like a 13/14 year old Sora anymore.

I just finished the KH Back Cover and I liked it.

But I don't get why the Master of Masters won't be in KH III... Nomura, pls!

Who says he won't be? :) #NoctisistheMoM #Balee #Versuslives

Nose Master

I like feeling nerfed a bit, ability wise. It's refreshing to not have once more / leaf bracer / second chance immediately and auto-pilot the rest of the game.

It also means you're not stuck with Donald/Goofy the entire game, who are always terrible. Some of the Dream Eaters are actually quite good.

Psxphile

Was at Wal-Mart for an errand and saw they had the Limited Edition right there, on the shelf. Had to summon all my willpower not to buy it, hoping I'd hear from Best Buy soon about shipping my order. I come home, check my email and find that it's shipping.

das it mane

Maybe I'm being unfair and have rose tinted glasses and still need to play trough the later parts of DDD to really refresh my memory. But random comparison being, which of these two do you find more natural and engaging (closest comparison I can think of): Sora being a bit hostile towards Leon and Yuffie when they first meet or Sora being creepily friendly and happy toward Neku.

The difference being KH1 Sora was snatched from his home after seeing it destroyed and dumped in unfamiliar territory, with strange new people and a weird giant key. 3D Sora was essentially taking a test and completely used to the idea of new worlds, weird people and magic shit

Did anyone get their delayed kh limited edition yet from BB? Mines supposed to get here tomorrow but I'm afraid it's gonna be the regular version.

Burbeting

Banned
Been blasting through KH3D. I have actually have fun with it this time, instead of making annoyed sighs on the game doing yet another game over on me due to the framerate/camera on 3DS. 60FPS and pulled back camera does wonders for this game.

Still, it's a shame they didn't try to rebalance the game at all. Some of the commands and the flowmotion are too overpowered in the combat, and there is a bit nasty difficulty spike in the last hours of the game. Still, the game has been a solid 8/10 now, instead of the 6/10 the game used to be for me.

Top Bottom