• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Wezzulus

Neo Member
Doesn't help that DDD script for Sora is unbearable (well, maybe not that bad...)

Most of the time he is a creepy stereotype rather than likeable protagonist. I'm still at the beginning so my memory is a little hazy on details but right from the start it's obvious they try to show a stark contrast between the personalities of Sora and Riku and how they interact with Neku/Joshua when they first meet. Sora is immediately friendly and trusting while Riku flat out says he doesn't trust him.

Problem is how they present Sora's more naive personality. It's not inherently bad idea but if you threw the younger Sora from KH1 into the same scene he would act different. He wouldn't be smiling all the time without reason or calling anyone a friend after 10 seconds of meeting a guy.

Maybe I'm being unfair and have rose tinted glasses and still need to play trough the later parts of DDD to really refresh my memory. But random comparison being, which of these two do you find more natural and engaging (closest comparison I can think of): Sora being a bit hostile towards Leon and Yuffie when they first meet or Sora being creepily friendly and happy toward Neku.

I agree with this. Not that only Sora's script is bad, a lot in DDD is quite bad. I cringed so much when esmeralda introduced herself.
Sora: Who are you?
Esmeralda: Esmeralda, a gipsy.

Anyway, on the topic of Sora, I feel like they are making him a more typical, thick headed shounen hero. While in KH1 he was just an all around better character, questioning things, not trying to pick fights all the time like KH2 Sora, actually getting some development. That scene at Hollow Bastion where he gets his keyblade back is still one of my favourites from the series.

Burbeting

Banned
The writing in BBS/DDD being so weak is even more baffling compared to both KH1 and KH2 having pretty decent writing (story in KH2 is another topic of discussion), at least in Square standards.

It makes me worried for KH3 writing.

I agree with this. Not that only Sora's script is bad, a lot in DDD is quite bad. I cringed so much when esmeralda introduced herself.
Sora: Who are you?
Esmeralda: Esmeralda, a gipsy.
Oh god you just reminded me of that.

Someone got paid for writing that line.

Man, no much negativity on the last page.

I thought 0.2 was phenomenal and it made me super stoked for 3. Gorgeous art, great cutscene direction and voice acting, fun combat, great boss fights. Especially because I was worried after DDD.

Also thought Back Cover was cool, if it's true Master of Masters won't be in 3 then I like that they're setting up the future arc after Xehanort now rather than just having an ass pull in KH4.

Burbeting

Banned
KH2 had Sora be pretty typical shounen hero during the disney worlds, but at least there was content outside of those worlds to flesh him out. This happens in 3D too... but there is so little of it, it just feels jarring when Sora suddenly turns into more serious character for 45 minutes, and then it's over.

StoneFox

I figured Sora was more friendly and goofing off in DDD because he had the mindset that it was just a test, and so it was not as serious as his previous adventures. Until the end at least.

Doesn't help that DDD script for Sora is unbearable (well, maybe not that bad...)

Most of the time he is a creepy stereotype rather than likeable protagonist. I'm still at the beginning so my memory is a little hazy on details but right from the start it's obvious they try to show a stark contrast between the personalities of Sora and Riku and how they interact with Neku/Joshua when they first meet. Sora is immediately friendly and trusting while Riku flat out says he doesn't trust him.

Problem is how they present Sora's more naive personality. It's not inherently bad idea but if you threw the younger Sora from KH1 into the same scene he would act different. He wouldn't be smiling all the time without reason or calling anyone a friend after 10 seconds of meeting a guy.

Maybe I'm being unfair and have rose tinted glasses and still need to play trough the later parts of DDD to really refresh my memory. But random comparison being, which of these two do you find more natural and engaging (closest comparison I can think of): Sora being a bit hostile towards Leon and Yuffie when they first meet or Sora being creepily friendly and happy toward Neku.
I absolutely agree. I cannot stand Sora in DDD. I know he has been somewhat aloof in past games, but it's so blatant and it causes me to cringe. Riku is also weird in that I feel like he has regressed from his past character in the previous games. I'm glad they didn't do much changes to the system because I can just blast through the game. I really hope the story isn't cringe worthy in KH3. I'm just asking for Sora to act somewhat like a master and not the way he is being portrayed.

Nose Master

Anyone know what changes the RNG for Dream Eaters? Nevermind, seems like it's time based or just a full dice roll each time. I think the ones that you get off low% have better stat growth though?

silva1991

Is heartless tornado the last thing in that optional battle?

having fought that for hour or two, I'm even more worried regarding KH3 bosses.

Fighting that thing remind me of the one and only BS fight I did in BBS lingering spirit vanitas which is unfair and just not fun.

OK the first half was good, but later when there are 1 HP bar left, the boss just keeps attacking over and over spirit vanitas style giving me no room to breath.

the fight isn't designed well for Aqua's limited movements and aerial maneuvers.

Is this KH or Bloodborne? in the final phase I just can't seem to hit the boss more than once without the boss getting rampage for like 10 seconds at least. in KH and 2 I can skillfully dodge, maneuver and block all superbosses and then punish the shit out of them with big combos(as I should because KH bosses have many many HP bars). I can't punish this boss whatsoever without it me getting hit with a crazy two hit combos.

Also is it just me or once more/second effects abilities runs out fast compared to KH1 and 2?

Anyways, I just don't think BBS team can give KH3 the justice it deserves and it's making me sad and I hope I'm wrong.

See you all in the upcoming KH3 trailer/actual important news thread whenever that happens.

Im having trouble choosing between this and resident evil. This game is less likely to go on sale right? Also probably harder to find a hard copy of soon.

Gulz1992

The writing in BBS/DDD being so weak is even more baffling compared to both KH1 and KH2 having pretty decent writing (story in KH2 is another topic of discussion), at least in Square standards.

It makes me worried for KH3 writing.

Kingdom Hearts 1 I agree with, but Kingdom Hearts 2? Hell no. It has, by far, the worst dialogue and story pacing in the series, with maybe only Days rivaling it.

Alucrid

Banned
Man, no much negativity on the last page.

I thought 0.2 was phenomenal and it made me super stoked for 3. Gorgeous art, great cutscene direction and voice acting, fun combat, great boss fights. Especially because I was worried after DDD.

Also thought Back Cover was cool, if it's true Master of Masters won't be in 3 then I like that they're setting up the future arc after Xehanort now rather than just having an ass pull in KH4.

i'm the complete opposite. i bought the collection just to play .2 and see what the new KH is like after only playing 1+2 and ended up being pretty skeptical about how KH3 is going to turn out.

Hey guys, I did a search in this thread, but didn't see anything related to my issue. Sorry if it's been brought up.

But is anyone else experiencing stuttering/glitchy pauses during some cutscenes?

I have found others with the same issue at the GameFAQs board, but we can't figure out the exact cause. Someone else made a vid that gives a great example of what I am experiencing.

Warning: 0.2 cutscene spoiler:

Skip to about 37 seconds, and the issues kick in.

I am using an EU digital copy on standard PS4, with my own 2TB HDD after replacing the original 500GB one. This guy also replaced his HDD, so whether that is the cause, I don't know. However, others have said this is happening on PS4 Pro, and I can't get confirmation of whether other people replaced their HDDs.

Anyone else with these issues, or ideas as to the cause?

Is heartless tornado the last thing in that optional battle?

having fought that for hour or two, I'm even more worried regarding KH3 bosses.

There's one more thing after. Ironically, it's the best boss fight the series has had since KH2FM, and shows that the development team actually does have a fundamental understanding of why KH2FM's combat and enemy design is so revered.

Funny that it's right after arguably their worst boss showing in the series.

Im having trouble choosing between this and resident evil. This game is less likely to go on sale right? Also probably harder to find a hard copy of soon.

As a big fan of both series and who has played both, get Resident Evil. No question IMO.

Also KH collections usually go down in price really fast (like most SE games TBH). Dunno about digital sales doe, it's the first time KH released on PSN.

RocknRola

Hey guys, I did a search in this thread, but didn't see anything related to my issue. Sorry if it's been brought up.

But is anyone else experiencing stuttering/glitchy pauses during some cutscenes?

I have found others with the same issue at the GameFAQs board, but we can't figure out the exact cause. Someone else made a vid that gives a great example of what I am experiencing.

I am using an EU digital copy on standard PS4, with my own 2TB HDD after replacing the original 500GB one. This guy also replaced his HDD, so whether that is the cause, I don't know. However, others have said this is happening on PS4 Pro, and I can't get confirmation of whether other people replaced their HDDs.

Damn, that sucks :( My copy is physical, shows no symptoms of that.

Burbeting

Banned
Kingdom Hearts 1 I agree with, but Kingdom Hearts 2? Hell no. It has, by far, the worst dialogue and story pacing in the series, with maybe only Days rivaling it.

Oh, KH2 writing is not great, that's for sure. But BBS and DDD both feel like the characters are throwing lazy "friendship is awesome" one-liners in almost every cut-scene just to remind us that friendship and strength of heart is awesome.

My game started doing that literally on the very last cutscene post credits (
Gummi ship stuff
). I was like "wtf".

Seems like a few ppl are having issues with cutscenes in 0.2,
I had a similar issue when i finished it the scene stuttered once and caused the audio to be out of synch.
Others are having random black screens as well so I assume ur not the only one.

I played on a EU physical copy, though problem didnt seem to repeat when i watched the scenes in theater mode.

Fauve

Is there a way to swap x and o in dream drop?

I don't think any KH lets you change your controls. But an alternative would be to remap the controls on the PS4 itself. However, that affects every game so you'll have to change the controls if you want to have the defaults on another game.

Seems like a few ppl are having issues with cutscenes in 0.2,
I had a similar issue when i finished it the scene stuttered once and caused the audio to be out of synch.
Others are having random black screens as well so I assume ur not the only one.

I played on a EU physical copy, though problem didnt seem to repeat when i watched the scenes in theater mode.

Ah yeah, playing the ending back in theater mode now, and it's playing perfectly. Thanks for the tip!

Shame this is happening in-game tho.

xfactor99

Forgot if it was on NeoGAF or somewhere else where I read it (I suspect it was the KH community thread, so speak up if it was you) but someone posited that Jun Akiyama was a key part of why the story for KH1 was markedly better than the rest of the series. He was a scenario writer for it, and his work elsewhere for Vagrant Story was positively received. He hasn't worked on the scenario for any KH games since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_Akiyama_(video_game_designer)

edit: ahh, found it. shoutout to Famassu:
http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?t=509555&page=268

Game is in my room and I REALLY REALLY want to play it. But I told myself that I would first finish the other games first....sigh...two months waiting.

Nose Master

Roll Call (Snail Link) is pretty OP for any boss that stays on the ground. Damage the entire time you're touching him and full invincibility for the duration (like 30 seconds).

DDD is growing on me a lot. I didn't love it when I played it on 3DS.

silva1991

Didn't want to post here again, but since I beat the tornado boss...

There's one more thing after. Ironically, it's the best boss fight the series has had since KH2FM, and shows that the development team actually does have a fundamental understanding of why KH2FM's combat and enemy design is so revered.

Funny that it's right after arguably their worst boss showing in the series.

The boss is good, but some game mechanics issues prevent it from being great. I'll compare her to Larxene since she is similar.

Larxene can't stunlock me to death like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zkJcCRkbu8

Here is an example of Larxene stunlocking Sora on the ground yet Sora survives, because once more ability actually worked there

https://youtu.be/5g8MGNymX2o?t=1m1s

I don't understand why once more/second chance sucks in this game compared to 1 and 2.

the only reason those 2 abilities exists is to prevent death from stunlocking :/

Wow I just read the last two pages of this thread. Kinda apprehensive about Back Cover and 0.2 now. At least I got this for 40 dollars!

Also, I keep reading things about the Master of Masters. Should I avoid this thread? I don't know who he is.

Wow I just read the last two pages of this thread. Kinda apprehensive about Back Cover and 0.2 now. At least I got this for 40 dollars!

Also, I keep reading things about the Master of Masters. Should I avoid this thread? I don't know who he is.

Master of Masters is a character in Back Cover.

As for the two small offerings, 0.2 and Back Cover - I enjoyed them. I thought Back Cover was a fun watch and 0.2 was a very fun 2 hours. Can't say I share the opinions about the final boss being bad or anything like that.

Overall the package seems fine. 1 HD Remaster, a small 2-3 hour game and a short movie. It's somewhere in the middle between HD Remasters that pack in 1 game and stuff like the previous KH collections or the Bioshock collection. I probably would have priced it at $50 since that's what 1.5 + 2.5 is priced at.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Finishing Back Cover: what. THIS ONLY RAISES MORE QUESTIONS...finally back home KH.

KH 0.2: Man that final boss on Proud is fucking bananas, honestly I just got lucky with the Situation Command kicking in at the right time. The models really grew on me, I was sure i would be turn off by it.

and the epilogue,
Was I the only one hyped hearing Kairi voice with new dialogue for the first time in 7 years? No one else? Okay.

Can't wait for KH3.

raven777

patch 1.02 note
C3Ed4fuVMAAR-Nm.jpg:large

JP version so not sure on English version yet.

Finishing Back Cover: what. THIS ONLY RAISES MORE QUESTIONS...finally back home KH.

KH 0.2: Man that final boss on Proud is fucking bananas, honestly I just got lucky with the Situation Command kicking in at the right time. The models really grew on me, I was sure i would be turn off by it.

and the epilogue,
Was I the only one hyped hearing Kairi voice with new dialogue for the first time in 7 years? No one else? Okay.

Can't wait for KH3.
I was hyped for that entire epilogue.
Seeing Sora mimicking herc was hilarious!

The fact that they are making balance patches is very encouraging to say the least.

BTW Raven what is that moon language? lol Not japanese right?

patch 1.02 note

JP version so not sure on English version yet.

I'm liking these changes. Critical might get a little easier for me. Hope MP adjustments make it so you can cast more than 2 spells on Crit before cooldowns start.

Also yeah, this really feels like KH3's beta test now. Minus FFXV's boring ATR streams. This is very promising.

NullKaze

Kingdom Hearts 1 I agree with, but Kingdom Hearts 2?Hell no. It has, by far, the worst dialogue and story pacing in the series, with maybe only Days rivaling it.
What?

Days had by far the best writing in the series.

Awesome lines like "Do you always have to look at me like I just drowned your goldfish?", or "Roxas, that's a stick," "We don't accept resignations," pretty much everything Larxene says, everything Demyx says, etc.

I wish KH3 had the quality and devotion that Days had in its script.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Finding out that I need to beat that shitty last boss on Critical for all the Trophies really deflated me :/

Neat.

One thing I really wish they would add from KH2 is to make the magic names orange if they are about to drain your MP to zero. It's really hard to know if you can cast 1 additional firaga or not when your MP gets low. Also option to lock them from activating MP charge.

xion4360

can we start complaining about the unlocked framerate so maybe they make it optional in KH3. Im impressed with how it looks but the framerate is so annoying.

Gameplay needs to be tighter and tuned up but I'm hype for KH3!

I'm surprised that I don't hate the idea of summons/attraction flows being linked to situation commands.

Hoping Drive forms aren't though.

peronmls

I found an issue in the Command Menu. In Kingdom Hearts 1&2, if you highlight any magic or item and leave it, it will remember what you left them on when you go back in.

Top Bottom