• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How important is Back Cover to the KH lore (leading to KH3)?

Hopefully not Re:Coded levels of "important".

raven777

They fixed Devil's tower now. It actually gives short warning that it's gonna attack before it attacks first, so you have opportunity to guard or evade.

It's hard to say just yet but probably not very, yet. It does add a few things that are much more interesting than anything in Coded. It's possible the payoff will happen after KH3 doe.

Man, no much negativity on the last page.

I thought 0.2 was phenomenal and it made me super stoked for 3. Gorgeous art, great cutscene direction and voice acting, fun combat, great boss fights. Especially because I was worried after DDD.

Also thought Back Cover was cool, if it's true Master of Masters won't be in 3 then I like that they're setting up the future arc after Xehanort now rather than just having an ass pull in KH4.

Well said.

DNAbro

It sets up things that will either be answered in KH Unchained X or KH3. Really it just poses more questions and gives incite into characters from the mobile game.

patch 1.02 note

JP version so not sure on English version yet.
They fixed Devil's tower now. It actually gives short warning that it's gonna attack before it attacks first, so you have opportunity to guard or evade.

Glad I planned on waiting to do Critical mode lol

silva1991

patch 1.02 note

JP version so not sure on English version yet.

Eh, damage taken isn't real issue. They need to fix once more and second chance.

Also I wouldn't say no to KH2 Sora playable. his dodge, glide and reflect will work much better than against the bosses.

Nose Master

Patch notes getting me hype. Also, Riku is fucking lapping Sora in DDD. Do you have to wait for them both to get to a certain point to progress? Beat the 3 second tier worlds as Riku but he can't move forward, and Sora is still messing around in Tron.

Patch notes getting me hype. Also, Riku is fucking lapping Sora in DDD. Do you have to wait for them both to get to a certain point to progress? Beat the 3 second tier worlds as Riku but he can't move forward, and Sora is still messing around in Tron.
You can progress when Sora finishes those three worlds.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm massively LTTP because I've been on the move and I have a shit ton of small projects to get out of the way when I get back before I can play stuff, but how bad is the plat for DDD?

Psxphile

Is there a trophy to progress through DDD by not using Flowmotion? Is that even possible? I think that last world introduced some crazy shit and made it mandatory.

HeelPower

Playing 0.2,wishing FFXV had tenth of that combat.

Its been so long ,but here we are.KH finally on next gen!!

So fucking good but we gotta wait for KH3 now.

Nose Master

I'm massively LTTP because I've been on the move and I have a shit ton of small projects to get out of the way when I get back before I can play stuff, but how bad is the plat for DDD?

Looks very grindy. Level 100, get all items, get all commands, get a dumb amount of medals in the shitty card Colosseum, all powered up boss refights, etc.

Looks very grindy. Level 100, get all items, get all commands, get a dumb amount of medals in the shitty card Colosseum, etc.

Actually it's cumulative for both characters so it just needs to add up to 100. You could have a level 54 Sora and a level 46 Riku and get that trophy.

Ooh, downloading the patch now. Critical Mode damage being buffed is fantastic news; Part of what makes Critical Mode great in KH2 as opposed to every other implementation is the fact that the damage floor for Sora is actually raised, compared to every other difficulty. I might actually replay 0.2 just to see what changed.

Didn't want to post here again, but since I beat the tornado boss...

The boss is good, but some game mechanics issues prevent it from being great. I'll compare her to Larxene since she is similar.

Larxene can't stunlock me to death like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zkJcCRkbu8

Here is an example of Larxene stunlocking Sora on the ground yet Sora survives, because once more ability actually worked there

https://youtu.be/5g8MGNymX2o?t=1m1s

I don't understand why once more/second chance sucks in this game compared to 1 and 2.

the only reason those 2 abilities exists is to prevent death from stunlocking :/
Okay yeah, that shouldn't be happening. Seems like they need to adjust the properties of that attack to properly trigger Once More.

HeelPower

Man, 0.2 is just...WOW. If KH3 is that but even better, it's gonna be one hell of a game! Everything just looks and feels sooo much better! To be fair they did kinda skip the 7th gen and jumped right ahead from the 6th gen to the 8th gen, so the bump is a whole lot bigger and more impressive than usual.

The particle effects and the far more fluid movements still blow my mind. Best demo they could have done for KH3 really.

Yeah this is what I was thinking.

Perhaps the series sitting out an entire gen was kinda worth it ?

Because it feels so fresh and exciting to have KH back up to current tech.

raven777

How fast you can air guard after 1.02 patch
AlertSlimyCoypu.gif

Famassu

0.2's last boss is the worst (non optional) designed boss in the entire series, by far. Everything about that fight reeks of bad design, and figuring out how to even survive, let alone damage the final phase is obtuse as all hell. Every single one of Aqua's defensive and mobility options are nigh useless in that last fight.

It's like the entire fight was designed with Birth by Sleep's mechanics and options (infinte cartwheel spam, access to more than one cast of Cure at a time without a full recharge, etc.) in mind and they just didn't bother balancing it.
Could be that they've made it deliberately really hard to the point where it feels somewhat cheap. 1) It's the Realm of Darkness. Some of the monsters there are supposed to be super-powered & extremely hard to defeat, so there's a story-related reason to make it hard. 2) To add a bit more (artificial) length to 0.2. It isn't the longest thing ever so they might've been more willing to make something cheaper than it should be just so that it would take people a bit longer to beat/master.

or (saying this as someone who hasn't played 0.2 yet so I'm not sure who/what all the bosses are) 3) I'd wager a guess that almost all of these enemies are taken straight from KHIII and since Aqua doesn't have all the tools that Sora has/will have when he fights them, they might feel a bit cheap with Aqua's more limited move set.

raven777

Drat. I dislike the blocked recording popping up every time I go back and forth into that section. FFXV had their recording restrictions lifted a month after release so I guess this one will life sometime in Feb then.

They might remove after a while I guess.... The game just came out in the west so..

They might remove after a while I guess.... The game just came out in the west so..

After the FFXV leak, they brought in the restrictions for the endings of games which is why 2.8 has it (though with capture cards people still got around it). Since the game is out world wide I was hoping that with this patch they would have dropped it but oh well.

Eh, damage taken isn't real issue. They need to fix once more and second chance.

Also I wouldn't say no to KH2 Sora playable. his dodge, glide and reflect will work much better than against the bosses.

yeah, a good amount of my problems with 0.2 combat can be chalked up to aqua move set being not that great

i really hope osaka team makes normal combos useful

Famassu

It's not good compared to 1 and 2 but it's worth checkin out if you are a fan of the series.
I don't think it's that simple. DDD has the superior combat system in comparison to 1 and while flowmotion kind of makes some of the more traditional level design obsolete since you can just spam flow-motion wall jump to get everywhere, at least I found many of the worlds are still better than the straightforward stuff found in 2 and even with the overpowered flowmotion moves that demolish the usefulness/mandatoryness of abilities like Glide, there are still some pretty fun locations (like the huge room with the rails in Traverse Town) and some more complex level design that isn't made completely worthless even with flowmotion. + I loved the Fantasia world more than almost all worlds in 1 & 2

Been blasting through KH3D. I have actually have fun with it this time, instead of making annoyed sighs on the game doing yet another game over on me due to the framerate/camera on 3DS. 60FPS and pulled back camera does wonders for this game.

Still, it's a shame they didn't try to rebalance the game at all. Some of the commands and the flowmotion are too overpowered in the combat, and there is a bit nasty difficulty spike in the last hours of the game. Still, the game has been a solid 8/10 now, instead of the 6/10 the game used to be for me.
What difficulty are you playing on? From what I remember, flowmotion is a bit overpowered at first but it loses it's usefulness later on (especially on harder difficulty levels), since it leaves the player so vulnerable + flowmotion attacks end up being really weak compared to stronger commands & perhaps even Sora's normal attack combos. I mean, I guess if one can really master using flowmotion to the point where they can break the game & use some cheap tactics to beat everything, it might be overpowered, but I'd imagine for the average player flowmotion can often be more of a hindrance for how vulnerable & relatively weak it actually is. At least for me, there are probably more times that flowmotion moves/attacks got me killed rather than being the key to victory.

Alucrid

Banned
well i guess they had 14 days since the japanese release to realize the combat systems were poorly implemented.

does the double jump feel better? i swear there were some times when it just wouldn't work for no reason

I don't think it's that simple. DDD has the superior combat system in comparison to 1

That's debatable. 1 is definitely a far more stilted and clunky game overall, but it makes up for that with superior game balance and enemy/boss design that actually factors Sora's capabilities into their design. Pretty much every boss in DDD consists of mindlessly whacking away at them until they die. KH1 offers far more options, like parrying/teching for potential openings (Riku-Ansem is free to parries and techs, especially from heavier keyblades), using elemental weaknesses (Maleficent and Captain Hook get wrecked by Stop, Xemnas gets a literal headache from Gravity Spells), etc.

3D's is definitely more fluid because of the Command Deck, but there's not as much thought put into it's overall design in relation to the enemies in the game and it suffers from that in the long run.

well i guess they had 14 days since the japanese release to realize the combat systems were poorly implemented.

does the double jump feel better? i swear there were some times when it just wouldn't work for no reason
Good to know I wasn't the only one. It seemed to fail and then execute at a different time for me.

Famassu

That's debatable. 1 is definitely a far more stilted and clunky game overall, but it makes up for that with superior game balance and enemy/boss design that actually factors Sora's capabilities into their design. Pretty much every boss in DDD consists of mindlessly whacking away at them until they die. KH1 offers far more options, like parrying/teching for potential openings (Riku-Ansem is free to parries and techs, especially from heavier keyblades), using elemental weaknesses (Maleficent and Captain Hook get wrecked by Stop, Xemnas gets a literal headache from Gravity Spells), etc.

3D's is definitely more fluid because of the Command Deck, but there's not as much thought put into it's overall design in relation to the enemies in the game and it suffers from that in the long run.
I guess I can somewhat agree with bosses having better balance in 1 vs. the tools available, but I still find that a majority of the time DDD is more fun to do battle in than 1 (especially against normal enemies), even if it fails to capitalize on its improvements as far as enemy designs go.

Oh my god, they unfucked Critical Mode. She deals KH2FM level Critical Mode damage now. They're actually listening.
I don't see why this is a surprise. The KH teams have always been very good at listening to feedback (as far as gameplay goes, storytelling doesn't seem to get such treatment) even if the "fixes"/changes haven't always been perfect. They just haven't released these games on modern platforms with support for patches, so the changes have been made between subsequent games or even between localized releases (the western versions often getting some balance updates after something was too weak/powerful in Japan) and not small patches after release. And I'm sure they are taking full advantage of 2.8's release and using 0.2 as an Episode Duscae like demo they gather feedback from to improve KHIII proper.

Top Bottom