• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Marcel

I'm probably just going to open a guide to get through the Roxas part as efficiently as possible. Nothing personal, Roxas. You deserve a better portion of the game.

Bladenic

Yeah I think I'm gonna skip all the cutscenes during the prologue. I've seen the whole "summer vacation" nonsense too many times already.

Marcel

Yeah I think I'm gonna skip all the cutscenes during the prologue. I've seen the whole "summer vacation" nonsense too many times already.

Considering anyone familiar with KH2 is well-aware of the story beats in the intro section, that's probably a good idea.

Wait a second. I picked the defense staff for roxas and the shield in the station of awakening. Does that mean I gave up the shield or did it stack? I was rushing through trying to get through the prologue as fast as possible

My Amazon copy came beat up missing skrink wrap even though the box was ok. Was the only things in the box supposed to be a pin and the game itself? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I bitch at amazon.

KingClown

Got my Collector's Edition yesterday, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Can't wait to start it up, though! Of course, I never got around to playing 1.5 Remix either, so I'll play through KHFM first. That's fine be me though because now I can marathon the whole series. I'll also try my hand at Re:Chain of Memories as well, but if I get impatient to get to 2.5 I'll just watch the cutscenes and the HD 365/2 Days before moving on to KH2FM. Can't wait to play that and see the improvements from Vanilla, but one step at a time and all. Plus, it'll finally be my chance to play Birth By Sleep, which I've been wanting to play for a long time. Luckily I'm on Winter Break so 'tis the season for some Kingdom Hearts! I've always been a huge fan of the series.

As for difficulty, well It's been years since I last played the series, so I guess I'll start by playing normal on KHFM, and if I have no problems with that, I'll try starting up KH2FM on Proud to see how I do.
Fucking hyped for this. Not touching it until I'm fully done with Dragon Age though. This month and January belong to these two games (well 3 technically).
It was the same for me too, I wanted to start 1.5 so bad but I didn't want to just leave Dragon Age 3 unfinished either. Plus, I was close enough to the end of the game that I decided to finish it off first. I just beat it last night so now I can dive into Kingdom Hearts without feeling bad!

And as for me, I know it's not the ideal setup in both KHFM and KH2FM, but I will now and forever be #TeamSword.

Valnen

My PS3 has been broken for months. Still excited to get my LE. Sadly it will be late because my card got declined =(.

B33-bG_CUAANxhf.jpg

"Got it Memorized?"

Liara seems pleased too.

NAPK1NS

Ugh - I forgot to follow one of my rules: never listen to NeoGAF about choosing a game difficulty. I'm on Proud and I've already died twice on that one Station of Calling section. I thought you could change the difficulty from the menu... But no dice.

Good lord. How do you guys have fun with this stuff!?

Cruxist

Yeah, the Roxas prologue is horrendous. I'm doing household chores right now, so I popped the Re:Coded movie on. I know the gameplay was solid, but good god that game was the biggest piece of filler ever.

RPGCrazied

Ugh - I forgot to follow one of my rules: never listen to NeoGAF about choosing a game difficulty. I'm on Proud and I've already died twice on that one Station of Calling section. I thought you could change the difficulty from the menu... But no dice.

I want to know is KH2FM proud harder than KHFM proud? KHFM proud felt harder than KH proud. So, who knows. Might be harder than I use to know.

Holmes

I haven't played KH2 in such a long time that I'll just enjoy Roxas' part for what it is and not skip anything.

Pain is part of the fun (y)

Skilletor

It's fun to learn and adapt.

Famassu

We are 1337 gamers with 1337 skillz.

RPGCrazied

Can't wait to get mine.

I was half-thinking about the Collector's Edition, but then I was all like "Naaaaaaahhhhhhh". This will suffice with my 1.5 LE physical.

Yep. All I wanted was the steelbook, no way am I paying $99 for it though. Maybe I can get lucky on eBay one day.

NAPK1NS

It's fun to learn and adapt.
Not in these games it's not. Hard games are fun when you are given the tools to succeed. The camera/lock on is so poor for these games that's it's hard to say the player is dealt a good hand. Fumbling through the side menus is a whole other hurtle.

(Current death count: three. Terrible checkpoints: three).

Luigi87

Yeah, admittedly the Station of Awakening for KH2 is kind of ridiculous in terms of difficulty for an opening area. It kind of just tosses the players to the flame, unlike in KH1 where you kind of had to try to die during the Station of Awakening.

Falk

that puzzling face
I want to know is KH2FM proud harder than KHFM proud? KHFM proud felt harder than KH proud. So, who knows. Might be harder than I use to know.

Pain is part of the fun (y)

Should be from hardest to easiest:
KH2FM Critical > KHFM Proud > KH Expert > KH2 Proud

I dunno, Critical seems == Proud for me on KH2. Probably part of the reason I chose #teamstaff because I hate myself.

Critical KH2FM is really one of the highlights of action games from the PS2 era. Not an easy task with some of the crazy franchises out there but it remains very, very well balanced. Pretty much every death you can trace back to what exactly you did (or didn't do)

Yep. All I wanted was the steelbook, no way am I paying $99 for it though. Maybe I can get lucky on eBay one day.

I honestly don't see this dropping in price any time soon. Considering it's effectively sold out it really does look like demand is greater than supply compared to the average CE.

Luigi87

I dunno, Critical seems == Proud for me on KH2. Probably part of the reason I chose #teamstaff because I hate myself.

Critical KH2FM is really one of the highlights of action games from the PS2 era. Not an easy task with some of the crazy franchises out there but it remains very, very well balanced. Pretty much every death you can trace back to what exactly you did (or didn't do)

I honestly don't see this dropping in price any time soon. Considering it's effectively sold out it really does look like demand is greater than supply compared to the average CE.
This I definitely agree with. Of all the KH games, KH2FM is the only one where Critical is pretty much perfect... Which is kind of sad since it was the first KH game with Critical mode!

I'm going to attempt #TeamLv1. Wonder if I'll succeed, lol.

NAPK1NS

Yeah, admittedly the Station of Awakening for KH2 is kind of ridiculous in terms of difficulty for an opening area. It kind of just tosses the players to the flame, unlike in KH1 where you kind of had to try to die during the Station of Awakening.
Can you recall if the difficulty evens out? I'm feeling pretty bummed that there is no middle ground. Normal is a sedative and Proud makes me pissed off. If I'm restarting this delightful prologue I'd like to do it now. And not regret sticking with the difficulty 30 hours from now.

Should be from hardest to easiest:
KH2FM Critical > KHFM Proud > KH Expert > KH2 Proud

So what you're telling me is I should have started on Critical I KNEW IT DAMMIT BUT NOW I'M 6 HOURS IN! (I did KHFM on Proud, and even killed the Enigmatic Man and Sephiroth, too...)

oh well. Proud is where I'll stay since I want to at least have a fighting chance at the optional bosses later in the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Leaf Bracer + 1HP is where difficulty drops a whole lot. If you time things right you essentially have 3 chances to screw up before you actually KO.

edit: 4 if you kinda count Cure -> Form -> Cure

RPGCrazied

So what you're telling me is I should have started on Critical I KNEW IT DAMMIT BUT NOW I'M 6 HOURS IN!

oh well. Proud is where I'll stay since I want to at least have a fighting chance at the optional bosses later in the game.

Yeah, what I'm doing. Going to go for most of the trophies on Proud but this beat critical one. I'll save that for last.

I love the character Roxas, but his gameplay is really slow and boring for the most part. I do like the fight matches though.

Yeah, the Roxas prologue is horrendous. I'm doing household chores right now, so I popped the Re:Coded movie on. I know the gameplay was solid, but good god that game was the biggest piece of filler ever.

I usually keep a save from after the prologue so that additional playthroughs I can just skip it. The more I read about it the more I'm on the fence about critical. I usually play on Proud, and KHFM I went with Proud which was harder than I remember, got a bit frustrating in the early area but ended up getting more manageable. I like challenge and the bonus AP an items, but I don't want to be frustrated.

I really wanted a steel book to put both in, but too late on the CE.

Luigi87

Can you recall if the difficulty evens out? I'm feeling pretty bummed that there is no middle ground. Normal is a sedative and Proud makes me pissed off. If I'm restarting this delightful prologue I'd like to do it now. And not regret sticking with the difficulty 30 hours from now.

Personally I want to say yes. Once you're opened up to more abilities (specifically the ones Sora will get), the game also becomes faster paced. Playing as Roxas is very slow and clunky, and KH2 is a much faster game action wise compared to KH1.

The reason the early game is probably not as much as a concern for Critical players in comparison is Critical mode starts players off with a slew of abilities to equip right out the gate (well, starting Day 3 of the Prologue), where Proud mode you do not. Using Reaction Commands is still vital.

Twilight Thorn is just an unfortunate introduction, but I suppose maybe Squenix assumed lots of players would start Standard, then go to Proud in a replay way-back, but... Yeah.

So what you're telling me is I should have started on Critical I KNEW IT DAMMIT BUT NOW I'M 6 HOURS IN! (I did KHFM on Proud, and even killed the Enigmatic Man and Sephiroth, too...)

lol, possibly (definitely don't recommend starting again now, unless you want to skip through all the Roxas stuff again. Seriously, great character, awful gameplay section).

Critical also caps Sora's HP at 50% of its max (60HP instead of 120HP), and enemies deal twice as much damage. Of course EXP gains are also reduced to only 1/3rd of what one gets on Proud, so it's a lot more grinding required to hit 99.

I might attempt Birth by Sleep on Critical, but considering I never beat the optional bosses there on NORMAL I don't expect much success.

Good news about one of the optional bosses! The Mysterious Figure was nerfed in the Final Mix version. And by nerfed I mean fixed, because apparently it removed a cheap tactic where he could guarantee a kill using his rope attack, because its timing would break the combo protection that Once More should provide.
I was a masochist and beat him on Critical in the NA PSP version using Terra, who is the most difficult to beat the optional bosses with -_-

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
My CE showed up looking like someone stepped on it. I really wish these companies that do this online-only CE stuff would look into actually packaging this shit properly. We shouldn't be paying premium prices for damaged goods that cannot be exchanged due to the limited production run. Very disappointing.

This box is funky and I can't fit it on my shelf at the moment. If they did the box like the 1.5 and X|X-2 remaster there would be just enough room beside those other two to slide it in my collection. Weird choice for a box, but it still looks nice.

Top Bottom