• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Not sure what to think at this point. I was all worried about my decision to go play on critical and it doesn't seem any harder than i remember it being on proud. I even had to double check cause I though it was on normal. Maybe later I'll be eating my words.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The models look insanely good, did Sora get worked/touched on a bit for the final mix 2.5 or what? I mean I never got to see the game during the ps2 era and here I am amazed on how well the game has hold up despite being years out.

They did not touch up any of the models...and all the assets are essentially the same.

Some people just don't know how far Square/Enix pushed the PS2.

I got past the dreadful beginning of KH2. Looking forward to everything else, especially since I'm playing on a harder difficulty.

It seemed forever, it's my first time playing and it was quite funny I got mgs2 vibes I'm like but where's Sora? Lol

Now I know how people felt switching from snake to Raiden

So I'm playing through kH 2 fm, I am loving the extra cutscenes that weren't in the original. It puts everything together nicely.

They did not touch up any of the models...and all the assets are essentially the same.

I'm very impressed everything looks beautiful, especially Sora's eyes I'm like wow. I guess this is evidence when SE used to be great. My money feels validated.

Evo X

Yeah, SE makes amazing assets. You can see the same upgrade when playing FF12 on an emulator or FF13 on PC.

Bladenic

Yeah it looks great except for the fucking low res faces that are mixed in with the high quality faces even during some important cutscenes. KH1 and the Final Fantasies were the same way. FFXIII changed that, and I've no doubt KH3 won't be like this either.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah it looks great except for the fucking low res faces that are mixed in with the high quality faces even during some important cutscenes. KH1 and the Final Fantasies were the same way. FFXIII changed that, and I've no doubt KH3 won't be like this either.

With the beautiful artyle and production values along with full 1080p resolution, there are only a few things that even let you know it wasn't a ps3 game with a simplified art style.

1. The 2D faces in cinematic cut-scenes.

2. Low NPC count.

3. Somewhat small areas separated by loading screens.

The 32mb of memory for PS2 was pushed as hard as it could go to even make some of those singular rooms as big as they are. I don't know how Naughty Dog made the Jak series almost open world being so constrained in memory, or Rockstar for that matter. Coders back then must have been masters of their craft.

Makes me really want to see what SE can do with KH3 having skipped an entire generation, going from 32MB to 5GB, 6gflops to 1843....

Bladenic

With the beautiful artyle and production values along with full 1080p resolution, there are only a few things that even let you know it wasn't a ps3 game with a simplified art style.

2. Low NPC count.

The 32mb of memory for PS2 was pushed as hard as it could go to even make some of those singular rooms as big as they are. I don't know how Naughty Dog made the Jak series almost open world being so constrained in memory, or Rockstar for that matter. Coders back then must have been masters of their craft.

Makes me really want to see what SE can do with KH3 having skipped an entire generation, going from 32MB to 5GB, 6gflops to 1843....

Yeah KH2 is an amazing looking game. I'm excited for KH3 for many reasons, but I've no doubt it will look incredible.

Soulflarz

Banned
Completely forgot about anti form, popped out of nowhere (my anti counter must have been high) on me during a boss battle but still won. He can kill really fast but still has way too many negatives. Valor form is so fun to use.

yeah antiform is a punishment for spamming drive, its not a "i got lucky" situation :p

The Lamp

I can't beat the first giant nobody fight as Roxas.

Good grief. I suck in critical mode. Any time I'm not spamming triangle I get hit by one of teh nobodies and since I can't dodge or block, I'm beaten and have to sit through that cutscene every time I want to retry ;-;

Good grief. I suck in critical mode. Any time I'm not spamming triangle I get hit by one of teh nobodies and since I can't dodge or block, I'm beaten and have to sit through that cutscene every time I want to retry ;-;

I'm playing on proud and the giant beat me a couple of times so try lvl up before entering that's what i did and I took KH-Gaf advice about choosing the shield.

Did you equip all of the extra abilities you get from starting on Critical before the fight? Finishing Plus and Aerial Recovery really help make the fight a little more manageable.

Luigi87

First three worlds of my Lv.1 run done. Getting ever closer to the best world in the game!
Timeless River, of course.

Do I need to do the stupid Ice Cream Beat mini game with all 3 characters on BBS to get the platinum trophy? Please tell me that I don't........

Do I need to do the stupid Ice Cream Beat mini game with all 3 characters on BBS to get the platinum trophy? Please tell me that I don't........

Yeah, pretty sure you do, since completing each character's journal is a trophy.

I always found Fruit Scatter more irritating than Ice Cream Beat. At least Ice Cream Beat is a simple rhythm game, whereas Captain Dark straight up cheats in Fruit Scatter.

Yeah, pretty sure you do, since completing each character's journal is a trophy.

I always found Fruit Scatter more irritating than Ice Cream Beat. At least Ice Cream Beat is a simple rhythm game, whereas Captain Dark straight up cheats in Fruit Scatter.

I actually find Fruit Scatter easier since you only need to get lucky once not 5 times....Anyways guess I will skip this platinum xD

So just finished watching Coded.

What happened I have no idea...

Bruh I watched a summary of chain of memories before playing KH2 cause I don't like card system and I think I have an idea what's going on.. Lol

I'm still mindfucked as to why Sora was put to sleep.

You should hit level 4 before fighting it or grind out level 5 by going back and forth between the save point and station before the door to the boss.

Also Start lets you skip those cutscenes lol.

The little Nobodies that give a ton of HP unless crit doesn't allow hp drops.

Anyways I'm finally Sora. Had a lot of close calls. I was surprised that I lost to Axel the very first time (Before the final day during the Vivi fight) till I realized he had bad reach when I reloaded lol.

Guess I can't do my usual sell all my healing items for munny.

Birth by Sleep is actually the only game I see myself getting the platinum in, lol. KHII's journal stuff is too mind numbingly boring for me to bother with, same for KH1's gummi ship stuff, and only people who hate themselves get Re:CoM's plat.

Man, Critical mode makes me nervous after reading some of the posts here. I really don't want to get halfway through the game and realize I made a mistake, lol. And I'd like to finally beat the secret boss (
Lingering Will
) this go around. I never could beat him on Proud mode when I played it a long time ago. D;

Caladrius

Holy shit proud mode the extra bosses hit harder
Normal they were /annoying/ but 2 hit death on proud is welp

The Absent Silhouettes on Critical can kill you in just one. I'm currently stuck trying to do Larxene's without Once More and Second Chance.

Caladrius

In order to face the secret bosses what are the requirements? It's probably early but I just met pete.

Zexion's Absent Silhouette becomes available after beating the Hydra in Olympus
Larxene's is available on your first visit to port Royal
Lexaeus's is available on the 2nd visit to Twilight Town after confronting Saix
Marluxia's is available during (or after, IDK) The 2nd visit to Beast's Castle
Vexen's is available on the second trip to Agrabah in the Peddler's shop (when it's turned gold)

I advise waiting until you're higher leveled if this is your first time fighting them, as they're extremely dangerous without Once More and Second Chance. (Which is what I'm attempting right now, and regrettably failing miserably.)

The first set of Data replicas are available as soon as you get to the Garden of Assemblage (accessed through the Cavern of Remembrance), the second set is available after clearing the game.

The Lingering Will is unlocked by clearing the game and returning to the Hall of the Cornerstone in Disney Castle.

2. Low NPC count.

I'm very impressed how well it holds up. The animation quality (in most cutscenes, anyway) is still best-in-class, IMO, and the art style upscales beautifully. It was impressive then and it's incredibly good still now.

Lexaeus's is available one the 2nd visit to Twilight Town after confronting Saix
Vexen's is available on the second trip to Agrabah in the Peddler's shop (when it's turned gold)

The first set of Data replicas are available as soon as you get to the Garden of Assemblage (accessed through the Cavern of Remembrance), the second set is available after clearing the game.

The Lingering Will is unlocked by clearing the game and returning to the Hall of the Cornerstone in Disney Castle.

So, I have the 5 Absent Silhouettes, and then the 13 Data replica fights, and then LW...That's...what..19 bosses exclusive to this game?

My God. I'm so screwed.

I'm very impressed how well it holds up. The animation quality (in most cutscenes, anyway) is still best-in-class, IMO, and the art style upscales beautifully. It was impressive then and it's incredibly good still now.

So, I have the 5 Absent Silhouettes, and then the 13 Data replica fights, and then LW...That's...what..19 bosses exclusive to this game?

My God. I'm so screwed.

19... Well fuck lol

Soulflarz

Banned
In order to face the secret bosses what are the requirements? It's probably early but I just met pete.

Youll see a portal on the wall. Click the portal. Dont bother standing around the first one for 15m in confusion, you need to have drive unlocked in the Colosseum's underworld before you can do it.

Normal you can do them when you get to them (at least I did), Proud/Critical I'd wait for second chance or something. Its annoying on those to say the least.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I got all the trophies on the PSP version of BBS and don't intend to do it again. Way too much repeated content. Turned a 60 hour game into a 150 hour game.

I don't see what's so bad about the ice cream mini game though. It's incredibly easy. Even the hardest stages are maybe equivalent to a standard difficulty stage in any average rhythm game.

Bladenic

Yeah I tried fighting Zexion but I was getting owned as soon as he used the attack to trap Sora in a book. Gotta work on the gimmick of the fight but even then I wasn't dealing much damage to him. I might try again now after finishing Timeless River.

Speaking of Timeless River, I would be so happy for them to do another old animation style world. TR was so charming and nostalgic.

You guys playing FM for the first time on Critical are gonna be in for a treat once y'all hit the final world.

Though in all fairness, Roxas gives me trouble on Critical Mode, too. Not looking forward to that...

Ultimadrago

Lexaeus's is available one the 2nd visit to Twilight Town after confronting Saix

I advise waiting until you're higher leveled if this is your first time fighting them, as they're extremely dangerous without Once More and Second Chance. (Which is what I'm attempting right now, and regrettably failing miserably.)

Do you have to beat each one as they come along or can you wait until you're stronger to fight all of them back-to-back moreorless?

You guys playing FM for the first time on Critical are gonna be in for a treat once y'all hit the final world.

Though in all fairness, Roxas gives me trouble on Critical Mode, too. Not looking forward to that...

No lie, I'm starting to double-think this reading the comments in here. lol

Caladrius

Yeah, I don't think I'm cut out for level 1 critical, if my experience with Larxene's Silhouette at level 21 is any indication. I have worse-than-average reflexes and I don't have a lot of patience.

Do you have to beat each one as they come along or can you wait until you're stronger to fight all of them back-to-back moreorless?

You can wait and do them all at once.

My God. I'm so screwed.

Sort of. The Data Replicas are mostly just stat-boosted versions of their real counterparts (with the notable exceptions of Demyx, Axel, Xemnas and Larxene, who all have substantial changes), so the KH2 members aren't really exclusive.

I was going to do a Level 1 run until I realized it would mean the only way to ever beat Marluxia would be to beat him without taking damage once. He's the easiest of the absent silhouettes but still, fuck that noise lol

Sort of. The Data Replicas are mostly just stat-boosted versions of their real counterparts (with the notable exceptions of Demyx, Axel, Xemnas and Larxene, who all have substantial changes), so the KH2 members aren't really exclusive.

Yeah, this. Most of the changes to the KH2 members are a little more subtle. For example, Xigbar doesn't ever have to reload, his bullets travel way quicker, and he uses his Desperation Move far more often.

No lie, I'm starting to double-think this reading the comments in here. lol

That's why I chose proud, hearing the OG KH-vets scared me off during xD I'll try critical during my second playthrough. This is my last ps3 purchase what a sendoff into retirement.

Top Bottom