• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

I have always been a huge admirer of the Kingdom Hearts series and I love my Disney, but I have never really played anything than the original Kingdom Hearts on PS2.

I recently bought Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix, and is looking to play through the two games and one movie on it, but is Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD Remix also worth getting or is the story getting so convoluted that it isn't worth playing through because of the story?

KH2 was the last title that made some semblance of sense, but even so, Birth by Sleep is a great game on its own in spite of how convoluted the series has become on the whole. This collection is pretty amazing for what it is, KH2 being one of Square's best games ever (and a reminder of the Squaresoft we all loved).

Pachimari

I'm afraid of the whole convoluted plot and confusing story.

But I'll go for it and in the meantime try out Kingdom Hearts 1 again.

Caladrius

The designs of Volcanic Lord and Blizzard Lord are amazing. It's too bad they are a complete joke even on critical. Is it even possible to get hit in that fight?

Only time the Lords hurt me with their actual attacks, it was because I misjudged where I was going to land from a combo and dropped into a lava pool.

I have always been a huge admirer of the Kingdom Hearts series and I love my Disney, but I have never really played anything than the original Kingdom Hearts on PS2.

I recently bought Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix, and is looking to play through the two games and one movie on it, but is Kingdom Hearts II.5 HD Remix also worth getting or is the story getting so convoluted that it isn't worth playing through because of the story?

Playing the two games in 1.5 is A-OK, but the movie should really be watched after finishing KH2. Release order is generally king in the Kingdom Hearts series.

In any case, 2.5 is definitely worth getting as its two games are very fun to play. I'm also a fan of the stories, even if others aren't. As long as you pay attention and play the games in release order, there shouldn't be too much to confuse you (with rare exception, like some parts of the 3DS game).

Playing the two games in 1.5 is A-OK, but the movie should really be watched after finishing KH2. Release order is generally king in the Kingdom Hearts series.

In any case, 2.5 is definitely worth getting as its two games are very fun to play. I'm also a fan of the stories, even if others aren't. As long as you pay attention and play the games in release order, there shouldn't be too much to confuse you (with rare exception, like some parts of the 3DS game).

Disagree. Just watched the Days movie and played the intro of KHII back-to-back, and you're depriving yourself of the full emotional impact of the KHII intro if you don't go through the Days story first.

One could make the case that this section of the game was designed to be mysterious (not to deliver that emotional impact), but since you're going in with the intent of avoiding confusion and convolution, I'd definitely recommend breaking the original release order and going with the order things are laid out in the ReMixes. The added scenes in KHII Final Mix actually reinforce this as they build even more heavily on character development that takes place during Days.

Luigi87

One annoying glitch I have faced multiple times while playing 2FM is quitting to title screen tends to freeze the game.

Lightning

Banned
Honestly, for the most part bosses will end up being easier for you than groups of normal enemies. It's handling enemies in bunches that's especially difficult because it requires you to be offensively on your toes - crowd control is tougher than keeping one enemy stun locked.

I got Mickey for the first time fighting Shan Yu despite a fairly solid offensive strategy of Blizzard -> Limit -> Brave Form -> Limit.
I'm finding things much easier now. I almost got a game over in the fight with Shan Yu though because I went into Anti Sora limit form at the worst possible time but I got lucky.

You are right though, groups of enemies are very dangerous, Things feel very similar to Proud mode now though. The only thing I'm finding now is mashing attack doesn't really work, all enemies give openings and you have to wait for them and potions are your friend.

Kinsei

Banned
I've been meaning to ask, did they change the way Mushroom V works if you equip No Experience? Grinding out the 100 magic boosts for Donald so you can kill the damn thing is easily the worst part of a level 1 run.

Disagree. Just watched the Days movie and played the intro of KHII back-to-back, and you're depriving yourself of the full emotional impact of the KHII intro if you don't go through the Days story first.

One could make the case that this section of the game was designed to be mysterious (not to deliver that emotional impact), but since you're going in with the intent of avoiding confusion and convolution, I'd definitely recommend breaking the original release order and going with the order things are laid out in the ReMixes. The added scenes in KHII Final Mix actually reinforce this as they build even more heavily on character development that takes place during Days.

I suppose either order is fine, although I really do prefer release order. It's true that KHII's intro is a completely different beast if you've gone through Days, but I'd argue that there's a trade off to be made depending on which order one chooses: either KHII's intro is more impactful having gone through Days beforehand, or the entire story of Days is much more powerful because you know what happens in KHII. I think the latter is more worth it, but that's just my own opinion.

Going through Days first though would alleviate some confusion, but I think a healthy amount of mystery is good too. You lose some of that this way.

That frame rate at the end of Land of the Dragons Pt. I, was it that difficult to render all those cardboard cut-outs in the background? lol

Can't wait to sink significant hours into this game once my last final is done tomorrow! I've been too busy studying to get further than the first Hollow Bastion visit. I've beaten KH2FM so many times (even the Level 1 Critical run) that I feel like if I had the time I'd have at least finished the story by now haha

The Lamp

I'm afraid of the whole convoluted plot and confusing story.

But I'll go for it and in the meantime try out Kingdom Hearts 1 again.

There's always that Google Doc to clear things up.

But no, seriously, I haven't played 3D yet, but since BBS the whole plot has been cleaned up pretty well. I remember in the KH2 days we had sooooo many questions and contradictions, but BBS cleared a lot of it up.

Don't get me wrong, the plot is still absolutely zany, but it works.

Luigi87

There's always that Google Doc to clear things up.

But no, seriously, I haven't played 3D yet, but since BBS the whole plot has been cleaned up pretty well. I remember in the KH2 days we had sooooo many questions and contradictions, but BBS cleared a lot of it up.

Don't get me wrong, the plot is still absolutely zany, but it works.

To add to that, 3D pretty much spells out what the exact plot is. It answers a lot, and builds more hype for KH3 @_@

Famassu

As someone who never buys Soundtracks, I actually have that on pre order on the SE EU store. Pretty excited, though I discovered a little later it doesnt quite contain every KH track from KH1.5/2.5, it seems only the ones that got remade, which means most of Birth By Sleeps tracks arent present. Some 358/2 arent present either.
KH3D too of course, but I can forgive that as it isnt part of the collection.
That's why you have these

5fDZSBA.jpg

as well. :p

LAA

That's why you have these

as well. :p

Yeah did see them, just disappointing they werent put in the 1.5/2.5 sound tracks. The BBS tracks are still in the KH2.5 game. KH3D I can understand. Not sure whether to hope for a "Complete KH soundtrack either.

SOLDIER

I won't be getting this just yet, but a subject in another thread made me wonder: did they keep Aqua's boob physics in this version of BbS?

I always thought it was weird how they slipped that in the PSP version, so I'm wondering if they got taken out (or are even more noticeable)?

I won't be getting this just yet, but a subject in another thread made me wonder: did they keep Aqua's boob physics in this version of BbS?

I always thought it was weird how they slipped that in the PSP version, so I'm wondering if they got taken out (or are even more noticeable)?

There were boob physics? I was too busy enjoying the backside to notice. Guess it happens during cartwheels and cutscenes?

RPGCrazied

15 hours in, just did Agrabah first time. Up next Halloween Town! I guess your not suppose to do those absent silhouettes until end game? The couple I tried I got my ass kicked.

SOLDIER

There were boob physics? I was too busy enjoying the backside to notice. Guess it happens during cartwheels and cutscenes?

The easiest place to notice is the main menu, but there are specific cutscenes where they are more noticeable.

It's not an exaggerated animation, but still pretty surprising since it's a Disney title. But then again KH has managed to sneak in a few things here and there that keep it from being entirely kid friendly (like Axel's original GBA line about "putting on one hell of a show").

Famassu

Yeah did see them, just disappointing they werent put in the 1.5/2.5 sound tracks. The BBS tracks are still in the KH2.5 game. KH3D I can understand. Not sure whether to hope for a "Complete KH soundtrack either.
I'm sure they will release a super expensive complete collection in, like, 2022 or 2027 for the franchise's 20th or 25th anniversary. They've done it for Seiken Densetsu & SaGa, no reason why they wouldn't do something similar for KH. I'm just kind of glad I already have every KH-related OST release. While overall it might be more expensive in the long run, I'd rather buy these separately than pay 200€ for a complete collection at once.

Falk

that puzzling face

Why? It's already pricey enough. Worst thing that can happen is an even more expensive collection with so-perceived "rehashed material" D:

Combat is so good with Sora damn, currently playing on my second world just met Mulan.

You can level up your Valor form easy in that world btw. All the way to 3 which is the limit until you get Wisdom form.
After the avalanche portion Mulan reveals her identity. You can go between the mountain peak and the cave. The village resets your Drive counter to full as long as you didn't run out on the way. Get 240 hits and you hit the limit of Valor form.

I'm going to start playing this tomorrow... Are there any important choices like the staff\sword\shield in the first one? I mainly just spam the keyblade and use magic to heal when needed.

I'm going to start playing this tomorrow... Are there any important choices like the staff\sword\shield in the first one? I mainly just spam the keyblade and use magic to heal when needed.

Depends on the difficulty. If you do anything but critical you can pick whatever you want but if you do you should probably pick the shield.

Top Bottom