• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Falk

that puzzling face
So the events of Aqua/Ansem meeting takes place after 2? (I'd assume since Sora is about to go back to save the world again in the very last cutscene)

It does seem to be framed as if to be the end of Aqua's journey through the realm of darkness, e.g. after the hypothetical 'Birth By Sleep Vol. 2'.

Berordn

So Terra doesn't technically have a heartless or nobody yet since he's still fighting for his heart from old man Xehanort, yes?

Terra's fate and current status post BBS is something of a mystery. Presumably because of something Eraqus did, Xehanort couldn't take over completely, resulting in the new Xehanort having amnesia. Now that Sora's defeated Ansem SoD and Xemnas, Terra or at least Terra-Xehanort is floating around out there somewhere again.

Weiss

Banned
Technically, Ansem SoD and Xemnas are the Heartless/Nobody of Terranort, not strictly old man Xehanort.

Oh God we're going to see "Old Man" Heartless and Nobody aren't we?

OHH Thank you. Few more while we're at it, it's kind of making sense now.

So Terra doesn't technically have a heartless or nobody yet since he's still fighting for his heart from old man Xehanort, yes?

So the events of Aqua/Ansem meeting takes place after 2? (I'd assume since Sora is about to go back to save the world again in the very last cutscene)

AnsemSoD and Xemnas were created from Terra-Xehanort, so that would be true. Their physical appearance is based on Terra, though.

And the events of the cutscene do take place well after 2 but before KH3D. Aqua's been wandering the Realm of Darkness for about eleven years.

Aqua's been wandering the Realm of Darkness for about eleven years.

She must be powerful as fuck after fighting heartless over and over down there for 11 years. :O Although time doesn't flow the same in every world, so a day for her could be 11 years for Sora in the other realm. I suspect that's how it will be since I doubt she will have aged for KH3.

I'd be willing to bet that was more of a thematic design decision rather than any sort of indication of
a nobody.

She must be powerful as fuck after fighting heartless over and over down there for 11 years. :O Although time doesn't flow the same in every world, so a day for her could be 11 years for Sora in the other realm. I suspect that's how it will be since I doubt she will have aged for KH3.

Even considering the time flow difference, she still likely got exponentially more powerful during her time there. Just look at how strong Sora got over the course of KH1, and that was in the Realm of Light. Aqua's probably fought all types of crazy shit in the Realm of Darkness.

Jigolo

Well now the story gets more confusing with every new thing. Movie is boring, is there anything important I should know or watch on YouTube?

Even considering the time flow difference, she still likely got exponentially more powerful during her time there. Just look at how string Sora got over the course of KH1, and that was in the Realm of Light. Aqua's probably fought all types of crazy shit in the Realm of Darkness.

Oh definitely. I wonder how BBS Volume 2 would have worked. I can't imagine it would have been terribly exciting to play an entire game
in the Realm of Darkness with Aqua unless they varied the environments up somehow.
I doubt we'll be able to, but it'd be awesome if Aqua was playable in KH3.

Am I weird for caring more about TAV than I do Sora/Riku/Kairi? Maybe part of that is due to me liking the story of BBS more than the other KH games.
Plus, lots of tragedy in that game. :(

Oh definitely. I wonder how BBS Volume 2 would have worked. I can't imagine it would have been terribly exciting to play an entire game
in the Realm of Darkness with Aqua unless they varied the environments up somehow.
I doubt we'll be able to, but it'd be awesome if Aqua was playable in KH3.

Am I weird for caring more about TAV than I do Sora/Riku/Kairi? Maybe part of that is due to me liking the story of BBS more than the other KH games.
Plus, lots of tragedy in that game. :(

It's the MGS3 effect. Dat inevitably tragic prequel story is really refreshing compared to the relatively formulaic victory stories of nearly every other video game.

As for BBS Volume 2, if and when it happens, I think it's entirely safe for them to make it all about visiting worlds that have fallen into darkness.

This would be the ideal time for some Horned King goodness, for example, or a revisit of the Grid, or any number of stories in which the world is overall already-dominated by evil.

It's the MGS3 effect. Dat inevitably tragic prequel story is really refreshing compared to the relatively formulaic victory stories of nearly every other video game.

I think you're right. MGS3 is also my favorite one of that series, lol. I'm a sucker for tragic stories, I guess. :p

Berordn

Well now the story gets more confusing with every new thing. Movie is boring, is there anything important I should know or watch on YouTube?

Re:coded is honestly a weird thing to pick for theater mode just because the story is of no value interest outside of the very ending... which tells you stuff you already knew from BBS .

Which is kind of a pity because it's a fun game for what it is.

Caladrius

Re:coded is honestly a weird thing to pick for theater mode just because the story is of no value interest outside of the very ending... which tells you stuff you already knew from BBS .

Which is kind of a pity because it's a fun game for what it is.

Whatever's needed to pad out the package. It was either that or nothing, though, since it'd take far too much in terms of resources to "port" the game from the DS.

Weiss

Banned
So during that cutscene to Hollow Bastion added into Final Mix
why does Xemnas call Aqua's armor "friend" if it's later revealed that Terranort never really lost his memory, or that at least by the time he became Xemnas he regained them, and we know that Master Xehanort was in total control of the Terranort persona? Xigbar says he's trying to find his friend in the Chamber of Waking (Ven), but why does he care if there's no Terra in there?

iosefe

why does Xemnas call Aqua's armor "friend" if it's later revealed that Terranort never really lost his memory, or that at least by the time he became Xemnas he regained them, and we know that Master Xehanort was in total control of the Terranort persona? Xigbar says he's trying to find his friend in the Chamber of Waking (Ven), but why does he care if there's no Terra in there?

it doesn't exactly stop
Terra from peeking through here and then. or maybe when he says friend he means "friend"

Considering Xehanort takes over Terras body and nobody is the body without the heart Xemnas basically ''is'' Terra. Obviously he is still very much infulenced by Xehanort but he seems to have a personal drive to find where Ven is considering his quest to find out the Chamber of Waking is only referenced for Xemnas. It's mostly speculation but out of all the Xehanort appearances Xemnas is the most infulenced by Terra and it makes sense for it to be so.

Given what we know about the Terranort persona and who was in control when Xemnas was created, it's more likely that he meant "friend" in an evil, sarcastic sense.

As for Ventus, considering he's pretty much an empty shell with his heart having taken residence in another body, he's a perfect candidate for a Xehanort vessel.

Shahadan

I don't know why Yuletide Hill is giving me my max Drive back every time I enter but I like it.

Edit: Well grinding Limit Form just got a hell of a lot faster.

SykoTech

So I got to the Demyx (water guitar dude) boss. Playing on Critical Mode, Level 1, Kingdom Key. It was pretty tough due to me not having any items and him spamming invincible moves like "Come on, skip to the beat", but I beat his ass after a few tries. Then I was going through the enemy waves with the FF characters and ended up dying by one hit from that giant spike ball Heartless. So they sent me back....to fight the boss again.

I could only laugh, hide my rage.

So what's with Mushroom #1 being able to see and hit me even when I use the Reversal move on it? This is fucking stupid and totally luck-based, as far as I can tell.

Just beat the game, decent ending. Will write up some more impressions when I'm not freaking out over FFXV stuff.

Also I can't get over that after all the focus on romance between the disney couples and Sora's constant thoughts about Kairi that when we finally find her the entire rest of the game ends up beings about Riku. Nice writing there lol

So what's with Mushroom #1 being able to see and hit me even when I use the Reversal move on it? This is fucking stupid and totally luck-based, as far as I can tell.

Nah it's timing based. You need to use reversal the second he stops doing his. Also remember to aim behind him with the analogue stick. It's really easy once you get the timing right.

So is the issue that it's possible to use Reversal one too many times and end up in front of him? Is that the timing thing?

You only need to use reversal once and you can hit him. After that he does his reversal again, you do yours and you hit him. Repeat. If you reversal too early he will do multiple reversals.

So, with my this my first time beating KH2 (or getting past the beginning of the second visits) here are my thoughts, listed randomly:

- The Disney worlds felt poorly implemented as opposed to KH1. The only connection between them was "oh no, we have to find the king/some evil dudes are doing evil things." I miss my council of bad guys
- The first world visits were nearly all awful, especially the newcomers like Mulan and PotC which were just shitty movie summaries
- More FF representation in KH3 pls
- I liked Roxas and Namine's story a lot. Probably liked it more than what Sora and his friends were doing. It's a shame they didn't get more screen time.
- There was this big thing about romance and love and whatnot throughout every Disney world, plus Sora spent tons of time thinking about her and it's pretty obvious they're literal soulmates (heartmates?) at this point. Yet when they finally find her nothing happens and she's pushed aside for Riku. wut
- The writing in general was... something. Not as confusing as it's made out to be, but the convoluted-ness of it hurt the impact of scenes that were supposed to be emotional.
- KH1 ending was amazing, this one was meh.
- The music is amazing, but I miss that one boss theme in KH1 that started at the Clayton fight. When that came in you knew shit was getting real.
- The build-up to the final world was pretty poor. It was pretty much just running around doing random stuff in each world and then suddenly it's endgame.
- Xaldin is a huge douche, don't know why he wasn't the second-to-last boss instead of that scrub Saix.
- As a final thought: I'm not a huge fan of the combat. I understand why people love it so much, but I prefer the clunkyness of KH1 for whatever reason.

In conclusion: I think that KH1 > KH2 in pretty much every way. I'll probably start BBS tomorrow.

Lightning

Banned
That's why you play in Critical Mode so you get Finishing Plus right from the start :)

Unless of course you really want to stack dem finishers.
I'm playing critical I want to stack them.

And these mushrooms are pissing me off. Specifically the spinning one. I can't seem to get enough spins.

I'm playing critical I want to stack them.

And these mushrooms are pissing me off. Specifically the spinning one. I can't seem to get enough spins.

Equip Fatal Crest keyblade (or Berserk Charge ability) and Horizontal Slash ability and unequip any MP Haste abilities. Then use curaga to deplete your MP, do a short hop so you are close enough to the ground and attack it once and just start mashing square like crazy while moving towards it.

Lightning

Banned
So, with my this my first time beating KH2 (or getting past the beginning of the second visits) here are my thoughts, listed randomly:

- The Disney worlds felt poorly implemented as opposed to KH1. The only connection between them was "oh no, we have to find the king/some evil dudes are doing evil things." I miss my council of bad guys
- The first world visits were nearly all awful, especially the newcomers like Mulan and PotC which were just shitty movie summaries
- I liked Roxas and Namine's story a lot. Probably liked it more than what Sora and his friends were doing. It's a shame they didn't get more screen time.
- There was this big thing about romance and love and whatnot throughout every Disney world, plus Sora spent tons of time thinking about her and it's pretty obvious they're literal soulmates (heartmates?) at this point. Yet when they finally find her nothing happens and she's pushed aside for Riku. wut
- The writing in general was... something. Not as confusing as it's made out to be, but the convoluted-ness of it hurt the impact of scenes that were supposed to be emotional.
- The music is amazing, but I miss that one boss theme in KH1 that started at the Clayton fight. When that came in you knew shit was getting real.
- The build-up to the final world was pretty poor. It was pretty much just running around doing random stuff in each world and then suddenly it's endgame.
- Xaldin is a huge douche, don't know why he wasn't the second-to-last boss instead of that scrub Saix.
- As a final thought: I'm not a huge fan of the combat. I understand why people love it so much, but I prefer the clunkyness of KH1 for whatever reason.

In conclusion: I think that KH1 > KH2 in pretty much every way. I'll probably start BBS tomorrow.
No. KH2 is better than KH1 in almost every way. More challenging bosses, better combat, plenty to do.

I beat every boss in KH1FM and only died 3 times. Complete lack of challenge, synthing is annoying. The plot and some of the level designs are the only thing KH1 has in its favor, everything else is better in KH2.

Equip Fatal Crest keyblade (or Berserk Charge ability) and Horizontal Slash ability and unequip any MP Haste abilities. Then use curaga to deplete your MP, do a short hop so you are close enough to the ground and attack it once and just start mashing square like crazy while moving towards it.
I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

Psxphile

Back to KH2FM, and beat every data fight save Xemnas. Level 99 achieved, Synthesis 100% finished. I realize Donald and Goofy have weapon drops from the Mushroom XIII for S-ranking that outclass pretty much everything else but since this time there's no trophy for getting every weapon/armor/accessory I'm not going to bother.

One little thing that I never really noticed about the new Re:Coded secret ending (DDD spoilers):

Braig actually looks exactly like he did in BBS so it makes it even more likely that both Xigbar and Braig are an acting force considering in DDD Xigbar looks like... well, Xigbar. That probably means Xigbar you see in DDD is time travelling also while Braig is the real current him. Isa is a bit more complex case since in the Coded scene you see him exactly as Saix looks but honestly it's probably just because they didn't have any original designs for adult him and Lea and didn't bother to make one up for this occasion.

So in the end it is probably safe to say Braig+Xigbar+Isa+Saix make up 4 darknesses. It's not like they would fill full 13 members without some shenanigans.

Lightning

Banned
Donald and Goofy's damage output is so damn poor and they die way too fast. Their usefulness is the occasional heal, limits, and distracting enemies so Sora can damage them.

That really needs improving in the future.

Kain

Is it me or most Disney female voices are performed by the same VA (the Maleficient one)?

I swear the Queen, the Evil Stepmother and Maleficient all sound the same lol

Since you've now ranted about it on NeoGAF, let me pre-congratulate you on being able to do it on the next attempt.

I've gotten 83 3 times and 84 once
QGayQR9.png

after that the little shit goes flying
QGayQR9.png

Soriku

Whenever you enter a zone where the other characters are walking around, that's an auto refill for your drive gauge.

Why does this not work in the Village area of LoD outside the cave?

Also this used to work in the first area of TWTNW, but it stopped working after I beat Xemnas.

Seda

Generally agreed. KH2FM has the better postgame ("more things to do"), but I was never too much a fan of its combat or world structure, and new additions to the original vanilla game didn't really change my stance on that.

Shahadan

To me KH2 felt and still feels like a case of "wow that first game we made without really thinking sold a fuckton, now we have a lot more money to spend even though it's not necessary. Let's forget what made the first one great! Also MOAR cutscenes, that's what everybody wants"

Basically the usual surprise-hit sequel trope.
It's like everytime you start having fun someone stings you with a sharp needle to stop you.

Jigolo

Finished watching the movie and now it is time for the game trailers story YouTube video. Fuck waiting for DDD HD to drop.

KH3 seems like its gonna be the last game isn't it?

Top Bottom