• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

Lightning

Banned
So uh quick question. Playing KH 2 for the first time and all. The question is should I put all the AP,DEF,STR etc. boosts all into Sora or should I put some on Donald and Goofy as well? I know it sounds dumb, but I thought I'd ask.
AP I spread around but Power, Defence and Magic boosts all go to Sora.

Sora already killed Lea's heartless. I'm willing to bet that all of the organization heartless have be defeated.
I think you are right.
Aqua did it offscreen is my theory.

Guesses for KH3:
Xehanort is back and younger.
Terra's Nobody is running his body.
Lingering Will is Terra's spirit.
Briag will help Terra's Nobody.

Hiko

Banned
So uh quick question. Playing KH 2 for the first time and all. The question is should I put all the AP,DEF,STR etc. boosts all into Sora or should I put some on Donald and Goofy as well? I know it sounds dumb, but I thought I'd ask.

Give everything to Sora

Falk

that puzzling face
If you want the min-max answer, plot a graph of how much damage per second Sora does vs his Str&Mag stats, and plot a graph of how much damage per second Donald and Goofy do vs their Str&Mag stats (lol) and find the delta of DPS/Str&Mag. Min-maxing would mean giving Str and Mag boosts to the highest delta.

it's sora

Also plot a graph on how many times you game over vs how many times Sora dies, and plot a graph on how many times you game over vs how many times Donald or Goofy dies. Min-maxing would mean giving Def boosts to the highest correspondence between deaths and game overs

it's also sora

As for AP, give them all to Sora anyway there's no mathematical basis for this who gives a shit

Falk

that puzzling face
DDD's level design as a whole is miles ahead of everything before it.

Too bad the controls blow goat chunks.

Seda

I remember a couple of neat rooms (one in the Musketeer area comes to mind) but also several wide open and empty spaces - clearly meant to situate the flowmotion controls.

I wouldn't really call DDD's level design good or anything, but it was still better than previous games. They need to work on populating their worlds with interesting stuff to do besides fight enemies (which is still fun, but there's not a lot else to do especially in some of the more flat worlds that don't even have much platforming). I know people complain about flowmotion breaking DDD, but I found it fun to use personally.

Too bad the controls blow goat chunks.

nope, hollow bastion KH1 and cavern of remembrance KH2FM are still the peak in the series by far. DDD's meant to feel like a big playground, but it's a big extremely dead playground with nothing good to do like the one that sarah connor looks at in horror in the dream sequence from terminator 2.

Platforming is a good thing, but FlowMotion isn't platforming, it's basically the ability to fly anywhere effortlessly and without any skill involved.

I actually do agree that KH1 Hallow Bastion and KH2FM Caverns are probably the best areas in the series as far as level design goes. Shame there's not more "dungeons" like the Caverns in the series. :(

Falk

that puzzling face
nope, hollow bastion KH1 and cavern of remembrance KH2FM are still the peak in the series by far. DDD's meant to feel like a big playground, but it's a big extremely dead playground with nothing good to do like the one that sarah connor looks at in horror in the dream sequence from terminator 2.

Platforming is a good thing, but FlowMotion isn't platforming, it's basically the ability to fly anywhere effortlessly and without any skill involved.

Hollow Bastion KH1 was downright awful. Whatchutalkinbout. There was no platforming. Only dumb 'press everything till something works' puzzles and a series of endless tiny rooms/elevators/balconies because you're supposed to love loading screens.

Cavern of Remembrance was amazing, though.

But no, there are a lot of legitimately well-designed areas in DDD. I didn't use Flowmotion for large parts of the game because I was just so aggravated at how shitty it controlled. In fact, Flowmotion is also the reason I think DDD's combat is weaker than BBS/etc.

Bousf

TWO data fights left, defeated Xemnas, Xigbar, Xaldin, Zexion, Luxord, Marluxia and Roxas today. (apparently I woke up in God Mode lol)

Only Vexen and Demyx and I'll be happy :D

Any tips on those two? :)

Kinsei

Banned
TWO data fights left, defeated Xemnas, Xigbar, Xaldin, Zexion, Luxord, Marluxia and Roxas today. (apparently I woke up in God Mode lol)

Demyx: Equip bond of Flame and spam firaga while in wisodom form.
Vexen: Equip Bond of Flame and Oathkeeper to final form. After you destroy his shield enter final form and spam firaga.

Psxphile

Hollow Bastion KH1 was downright awful. Whatchutalkinbout. There was no platforming.

kZ3oXHz.jpg

npq7g7V.jpg

It was a secret to everybody.

I haven't played BBS or DDD (but will soon!) but the level design in KH1 is 1000 times more interesting than KH2. It still deserves the crap it gets but each level feels dense with things to look at and explore. Meanwhile KH2 is like a bunch of differently shaped empty rooms.

Falk

that puzzling face
It was a secret to everybody.

Heh, felt so stupid after figuring that out for the last treasure chest for plat :(

That aside though, there's platforming, and there's time-wasting. HB's second half was the latter. It goes so far as to have multiple instances of lethargic, unskippable platform rides. Then, there's puzzles, and there's time-wasting. The entire sewer sequence was the latter. Multiple (!) bubble travel animations on top of regular loading times, the snoozefest of a room where you fiddle with gates for a whole 3 minutes to get to the one possible solution (and then back the other way no less)

The only part of HB which was not terrible was the library and 4-emblem-piece treasure hunt.

Bousf

Vexen: Equip Bond of Flame and Oathkeeper to final form. After you destroy his shield enter final form and spam firaga.
Bond of Flame!! Hadn't thought about that, thanks for the tips, hopefully I'll get that out of the way today :D

Shahadan

KH3 better be a huge shift because if they give us another KH2 in HD heads will roll. Gaming has changed in ten+ years and this stuff won't fly by the time the game comes out.

That said I expect nothing will change much.

I haven't played BBS or DDD (but will soon!) but the level design in KH1 is 1000 times more interesting than KH2. It still deserves the crap it gets but each level feels dense with things to look at and explore. Meanwhile KH2 is like a bunch of differently shaped empty rooms.

My issue is most of the worlds in KH1 were frustrating to me. The Jungle world is one of the worst worlds in the series imo. I also am not a big fan of Alice in Wonderland, the Coliseum was just 2 rooms (one of which was empty), the Peter Pan level was boring as fuck (yay, a very brown ship with nothing going on besides flying), Monstro was a really confusing place, etc. I only really liked Traverse Town, Hollow Bastion, and Halloween Town was ok. The rest were meh. Kingdom Hearts II's areas might have been flat and somewhat empty, but they were still more fun to explore than most of the ones in KH1 to me.

KH3 better be a huge shift because if they give us another KH2 in HD heads will roll. Gaming has changed in ten+ years and this stuff won't fly by the time the game comes out.

That said I expect nothing will change much.

I'd be totally fine if they give us another KH2FM-like game in HD. It's still one of my favorite games. I'm not saying I don't want improvements to the level design, but it's whatever as long as the combat is still fun. Hell, BBS has pretty empty worlds as well, but it might be my favorite game in the series because of the story, combat, and command melding.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not like they haven't made no less than 3 iterations (one very major - the command deck) of the combat system since.

What hasn't happened is that evolved combat system on a non-handheld system/controls, with the time to cook over a full game's worth of power level gains (e.g. not 'lol i beat the final boss at lv25' x3), which takes place in the actual world and isn't in memories/computers/dreams/whatever.

That's why I'm hyped for KH3, at the very least.

I don't need the worlds to be full of NPCs. Just full of stuff to do.

Also, I'd really love to see a somewhat new status quo as far as worlds are concerned by the end of KH3. Something like a partial re-merger so we'd get Traverse, Twilight, and Daybreak Towns all merged together, or Destiny Islands/Radiant Garden/Land of Departure merged. Gimme much much bigger worlds like that; it'd be cool.

My issue is most of the worlds in KH1 were frustrating to me. The Jungle world is one of the worst worlds in the series imo. I also am not a big fan of Alice in Wonderland, the Coliseum was just 2 rooms (one of which was empty), the Peter Pan level was boring as fuck (yay, a very brown ship with nothing going on besides flying), Monstro was a really confusing place, etc. I only really liked Traverse Town, Hollow Bastion, and Halloween Town was ok. The rest were meh. Kingdom Hearts II's areas might have been flat and somewhat empty, but they were still more fun to explore than most of the ones in KH1 to me.

well, my opinion comes partly from me preferring some of the gameplay aspects of KH1 in terms of exploring, using abilities to access new areas, etc. but the biggest problem with KHII is that it feels so empty and lifeless. KH1 was able to hide this by making each area "dense" while KHII is much more open, leading to that issue. I get it's a ps2 issue, but things like the Chinese army being 4 guys and Agrabah and Hollow Bastion supposedly being these cities/towns with maybe a few npcs really stick out compared to the first.

iosefe

I don't need the worlds to be full of NPCs. Just full of stuff to do.

Also, I'd really love to see a somewhat new status quo as far as worlds are concerned by the end of KH3. Something like a partial re-merger so we'd get Traverse, Twilight, and Daybreak Towns all merged together, or Destiny Islands/Radiant Garden/Land of Departure merged. Gimme much much bigger worlds like that; it'd be cool.

might be nice to put all the worlds based on Earth in one, but the time inconsistencies are an issue

Lightning

Banned
Beware of Vexen's DM when you do this. That shit can be deadly.

Bousf

Beware of Vexen's DM when you do this. That shit can be deadly.
Yeah, I've had the pleasure to notice lol his DM is very hard to dodge, I'm starting a limit when I see it happen xD

Edit: I DID IT!! All Data fights completed, now Hades Paradox Cup, Light Cycle, Magic Carpet, Gummi missions and platinum! :D

Boogins

Man what I've been looking forward to the most with this release was finally getting to play that roxas fight. I get there he does his DM 4 times in a row then its over. Disappointed :(

xewind

I am 10/13 against the Org. Data battles, (only Zexion, Luxord and Xemnas left). But I am having the hardest of times trying to beat Zexion and Luxord, which I thought were gonna be the easiest lol. Any tips on how to beat them? Would really appreciate it.

Eblo

So I just took on the Zexion Absent Silhouette, and this is exactly what a rerelease of a game should do. The new bosses aren't at all pushovers, but they offer a challenge without being cheap. I had fun figuring out strategies and learning what to do. That Zexion boss alone was more fun for me than almost all of the original KH2's bosses. As a bonus, it also technically addressed a plot hole with the original game's diary entries for the Castle Oblivion Nobodies.

iosefe

got anti'd agains the second visit port royale boss at the very end. almost couldn't finish becasue the combo is just too long

Playing on Critical mode and just got to Xaldin. I got close but loss about five times, but then on one run I learned you can learn jump multiple times, and then I preceded to beat him on that run. He became a complete chump after I realized that. Though I do have the two reaction command bonuses on so that probably helped a fair bit.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Haven't played this yet because I want to Platinum KH1 first before, but the only thing I have left to do are the Gummi Ship missions. Any online guides on how to do them? I'm literally clueless as to how this is going to work.

Lightning

Banned
Yeah, I've had the pleasure to notice lol his DM is very hard to dodge, I'm starting a limit when I see it happen xD

Edit: I DID IT!! All Data fights completed, now Hades Paradox Cup, Light Cycle, Magic Carpet, Gummi missions and platinum! :D

Which Data fight did you find the hardest?

Demyx wisdom form max with firaga
Use magnet burst to take out any water forms when he summons 25 or less otherwise its wisdom form firaga spam

(Fire does a lot of damage so use this as a finisher against him)

Bousf

Which Data fight did you find the hardest?
Data Axel was a pain with the burning ground, that one was more annoying than hard, and Saïx was by far the easiest and most predictable of them all (Lexaeus too).
The hardest would probably be Roxas for me, he is extremely fast and the way the battle went for me was reaaaaally intense, I was in danger the whole time and during its final phase I had a hard time finding an opening.
The rest are surprisingly not that challenging once you understand how useful Guard and Reflega are :D
What about you?

Demyx wisdom form max with firaga
Use magnet burst to take out any water forms when he summons 25 or less otherwise its wisdom form firaga spam

(Fire does a lot of damage so use this as a finisher against him)

I defeated him a while ago, but thank for the tips anyway :)

Lightning

Banned
Data Axel was a pain with the burning ground, that one was more annoying than hard, and Saïx was by far the easiest and most predictable of them all (Lexaeus too).
The hardest would probably be Roxas for me, he is extremely fast and the way the battle went for me was reaaaaally intense, I was in danger the whole time and during its final phase I had a hard time finding an opening.
The rest are surprisingly not that challenging once you understand how useful Guard and Reflega are :D
What about you?
Roxas as well. He's unpredictable and I had a real hard time blocking his attacks as he's incredibly fast and the constant lasers were a problem. Xaldin is another one who gets hard near the end of the fight, I hated his DM with a passion.

Demyx was the easiest for me. High magic and Firaga with Bond of Flame and he goes down really quickly. Near the end of the fight I lure him to one of the sides so that the waves of clones only appear in front of me. An easy fight provided you have ethers and a high magic stat.

Jigolo

WTF just beat Terra story. Did he just become
Organization 13 Xehanort?

Edit: wait no, I still have to fight myself

Bousf

Roxas as well. He's unpredictable and I had a real hard time blocking his attacks as he's incredibly fast and the constant lasers were a problem. Xaldin is another one who gets hard near the end of the fight, I hated his DM with a passion.

Demyx was the easiest for me. High magic and Firaga with Bond of Flame and he goes down really quickly. Near the end of the fight I lure him to one of the sides so that the waves of clones only appear in front of me. An easy fight provided you have ethers and a high magic stat.
For the Data fights I used Elixirs the whole time, got around 60 farming synthesis materials lol

Xaldin's DM is easy to dodge/guard, the problem is his insta-teleporting towards you with the wind shield on in his last phase, makes it harder to find an opening.....luckily that's part of the past now! :D

WTF just beat Terra story. Did he just become
Organization 13 Xehanort?

Edit: wait no, I still have to fight myself

Keep playing through the other character's stories and unlock/beat the Final Episode and secret ending. You'll understand after that (if not already).

Weiss

Banned
Man, Halloween Town is great. The Kingdom Hearts team perfectly captures that Tim Burton style.

I genuinely want a whole game done in this artstyle.

Also, how the hell do I beat Absent Silhouette Zexion? I either get my commands locked and killed by that fire cross move, or just get spammed to death by the books. I've never made it past the part where there's three lights on the ground and when they switch colours, whereupon meteors fall and I die.

Lightning

Banned
Man, Halloween Town is great. The Kingdom Hearts team perfectly captures that Tim Burton style.

I genuinely want a whole game done in this artstyle.

Also, how the hell do I beat Absent Silhouette Zexion? I either get my commands locked and killed by that fire cross move, or just get spammed to death by the books. I've never made it past the part where there's three lights on the ground and when they switch colours, whereupon meteors fall and I die.
When he traps you into books go into limit form so the books can't hurt you and find the Zexion book, it's obvious once you find it. Just attack the books while in limit form and you will get Zexion's book and that releases you from the books and you can pummel Zexion.

For the circles, I stand in the middle, count them and after 13 changes quick dash into the blue circle.

Jigolo

Questions after watching the secret episode and ending.

Who was the little boy with Ansem the Wise?

Who was the person sitting in Darkness with Aqua?

Where is Xehanort's (old bald man) Heartless and Nobody?

/confused

Weiss

Banned
Questions after watching the secret episode and ending.

Who was the little boy with Ansem the Wise?

Who was the person sitting in Darkness with Aqua?

Where is Xehanort's (old bald man) Heartless and Nobody?

/confused

In order:

The kid is Ienzo, the human form of the Nobody, Zexion, from Organization 13.

Aqua's companion is Ansem the Wise, who survived the explosion in the World That Never Was, and he now has amnesia.

Xehanort's Heartless is "Ansem" from the first game, and his Nobody is Xemnas.

Soriku

In order:

Aqua's companion is Ansem the Wise, who survived the explosion in the World That Never Was, and he now has amnesia.

Technically, Ansem SoD and Xemnas are the Heartless/Nobody of Terranort, not strictly old man Xehanort.

Jigolo

In order:

OHH Thank you. Few more while we're at it, it's kind of making sense now.

So Terra doesn't technically have a heartless or nobody yet since he's still fighting for his heart from old man Xehanort, yes?

So the events of Aqua/Ansem meeting takes place after 2? (I'd assume since Sora is about to go back to save the world again in the very last cutscene)

Top Bottom