• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It seemed kinda...guided in the demo. And I realize demos are demos, but since I don't like to spoil RPGs I haven't done much research.

But that's good to hear. Those are my favorite type of RPGs.

Did you play past the tutorial dungeon? You get a 45 min timer outside in the world once you do. You also can start outside and skip the dungeon once you've played through the dungeon in a previous playthrough of the demo.

Amir0x

Banned
Did you play past the tutorial dungeon? You get a 45 min timer outside in the world once you do. You also can start outside and skip the dungeon once you've played through the dungeon once.

haha no, i got bored with the tutorial and stopped

that'll show me next time I end a demo prematurely!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
haha no, i got bored with the tutorial and stopped

that'll show me next time I end a demo prematurely!

Do yourself a favor and give the demo another try. The outside section is AWESOME. Shows how they've planted loot in dungeons, how they arrange quests, etc.

That's really the meat of the demo, and I have a feeling you'll really like it.

Amir0x

Banned
well i'll go and do that right now then. thanks for the tips guys. I didn't expect a demo to be that big so I thought it was probably just going to continue with another guided part next :p

I assume you mean the first portion of the demo. That's the only part of the demo where you're specifically guided. After that you go where you want and do what you want. For me personally, the tutorial was a major turnoff.

I always tell people at work that you shouldn't judge it until you get to the timed section of the demo. Most of them quit the first time around and had to be prodded to finish. They were glad they did!

Khezu

It seemed kinda...guided in the demo. And I realize demos are demos, but since I don't like to spoil RPGs I haven't done much research.

But that's good to hear. Those are my favorite type of RPGs.

It seems in between a guided type game and a ES structure. There is the main quest and 5 factions and a whole bunch of side quests. You can tackle them in pretty much any order, but the way the quests and world are structured you probably won't have much ES style aimless wondering around to explore.

Think a much bigger, much more open fable.

Someone help me out. In the latest trailer (release trailer), where do I recognize the male voice from near the end. The one that says, "Now is your time." I'm positive it's from a game, but I'm not sure which.

well i'll go and do that right now then. thanks for the tips guys. I didn't expect a demo to be that big so I thought it was probably just going to continue with another guided part next :p
Since you haven't been keeping up with the game it's probably also worth mentioning that the demo is fairly buggy in a lot of areas (to the point where Curt was apologizing for it in the demo impressions thread) and many (possibly all?) of the bugs are fixed in the final version of the game.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Darn. Direct2Drive (just got moved over to Gamefly) is offering an armor pack. I like steam more though so I will certainly have to think about it.

Yea I kinda wanted the weapons pack, but I like Steam too so I went with it. In the long run the bonuses won't matter I think.

Rokam

Someone help me out. In the latest trailer (release trailer), where do I recognize the male voice from near the end. The one that says, "Now is your time." I'm positive it's from a game, but I'm not sure which.

Thanks a lot, now it's buggin the hell out of me too. To me it sounded like a less raspy version of War from Darksiders.

lucius

I really liked the demo the more I played it, but should we be a bit worried there are no reviews yet?

I really liked the demo the more I played it, but should we be a bit worried there are no reviews yet?
Nope. It's very rare for a game to have reviews this long before release these days (especially an EA published one). I'm not sure when the embargo lifts but I'm pretty sure IGN's exclusive first review goes up tomorrow.

Hambone

Yea I kinda wanted the weapons pack, but I like Steam too so I went with it. In the long run the bonuses won't matter I think.

Agreed. That's why I went Steam. Gamefly can suck it until they can produce the games I already paid for with the Direct2Drive buyout, and though I love me some Amazon, would rather support 38 Studios\BHG through Steam.

Rokam

Someone who works for the studio should call my local gamestop up and make sure they do a midnight release. Thanks.

Nope. It's very rare for a game to have reviews this long before release these days (especially an EA published one). I'm not sure when the embargo lifts but I'm pretty sure IGN's exclusive first review goes up tomorrow.

IGN's review is Friday actually, and they are also doing a live stream of Amalur at 11am pst.

Someone who works for the studio should call my local gamestop up and make sure they do a midnight release. Thanks.

This. The two Gamestops I go to aren't having midnight releases because enough copies weren't preordered. A few games come out that day too including The Darkness 2, which surprises me because usually if more than one big release comes out they'll have a midnight sale no problem. :\

Amir0x

Banned
oh hey that was sort of nice once you get outside. kind of surprising how meaty the demo was.

I think I'll be getting this on Tuesday then

Carm

He should be fun, but have you seen the video at Amazon posted yesterday? He's doing more harm than good with stuff like that.

So, just watched that video. You're gonna need to explain how Ken is harming the product with that video, because I don't see it. He is a kooky dude, is that your issue? It's okay to be kooky.

As for the people trying to decide which pc version to get, why are any of you bothering with anything but the TF2 hats? All the other things will become pretty useless, pretty quick in game. The dowsing rod, while sounding useful, isn't really, unless you're blind and don't pay attention to things sparkling while moving around the environment. TF2 hats have actual value, over something that will be sold to a vendor/banked pretty quick in a game.

As for the game being open world or not. While I haven't played beyond the demo, how are some of you coming to the conclusion that it is not, based on the demo? I mean, do you not think of MMO's like Everquest 1 and WoW as open world? If you do, the demo is set up pretty similar to the starting zone of Night Elfs in WoW. It's the introductory phase of leveling, it's gonna be a bit restrictive design wise. Is it because of loading between zones? Everquest 1, which I consider open world, had loading between zones, so I don't see that as being the issue. Of course, the full game very well may be an on rails experience, in regards to environment design (high mountains you can't cross etc.) I'm guessing it's not though.

Amir0x

Banned
As for the game being open world or not. While I haven't played beyond the demo, how are some of you coming to the conclusion that it is not, based on the demo? I mean, do you not think of MMO's like Everquest 1 and WoW as open world? If you do, the demo is set up pretty similar to the starting zone of Night Elfs in WoW. It's the introductory phase of leveling, it's gonna be a bit restrictive design wise. Is it because of loading between zones? Everquest 1, which I consider open world, had loading between zones, so I don't see that as being the issue. Of course, the full game very well may be an on rails experience, in regards to environment design (high mountains you can't cross etc.) I'm guessing it's not though.

being that this is an offline RPG, before I got to the outside part I thought that's exactly what it felt like - an offline version of an instanced dungeon, which wasn't attractive to me. World of Warcraft sucks ass.

But now that I've gone outside, and I've dug a little deeper, I can see the meat here. It's not just offline WoW.

ironcreed

Banned

I think it is Liam O'Brien, who did the voice for War in Darksiders and Grimoire Weiss in Nier, amongst a few others.

thetrin

oh hey that was sort of nice once you get outside. kind of surprising how meaty the demo was.

I think I'll be getting this on Tuesday then

Glad you gave it a second chance! It's also nice that you can skip the tutorial dungeon after playing the demo once.

I think it is Liam O'Brien, who did the voice for War in Darksiders and Grimore Weiss in Nier, amongst a few others.

yeah, I was thinking it was Liam O'Brien as well.

is there an ultimate weapon in this game? a "legendary weapon" if you will?

same with armor. is there a quest to find the ultimate weapon an armor?

So, just watched that video. You're gonna need to explain how Ken is harming the product with that video, because I don't see it. He is a kooky dude, is that your issue? It's okay to be kooky.

That video wasn't kooky to me. That video was, "Hey they're making me read these dumb scripted questions and provide bland scripted responses."

Carm

That video wasn't kooky to me. That video was, "Hey they're making me read these dumb scripted questions and provide bland scripted responses."

You need to watch other Ken Rolston videos, this is how he always is.

being that this is an offline RPG, before I got to the outside part I thought that's exactly what it felt like - an offline version of an instanced dungeon, which wasn't attractive to me. World of Warcraft sucks ass.

But now that I've gone outside, and I've dug a little deeper, I can see the meat here. It's not just offline WoW.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. How did the beginning feel like an instanced dungeon? The entire demo definitely feels similar to what an offline mmo would be, but with better combat, I don't consider that a bad thing though.

You need to watch other Ken Rolston videos, this is how he always is.

I've watched numerous interviews and podcasts. This was the first time I heard him where he sounded annoyed to be there. I know they're not "visionaries", but I'd much prefer to hear from Joe and Ian as we get closer to release. But I'm a geek. I love hearing Joe talk about his thought process when designing the combat system.

Carm

I've watched numerous interviews and podcasts. This was the first time I heard him where he sounded annoyed to be there. I know they're not "visionaries", but I'd much prefer to hear from Joe and Ian as we get closer to release. But I'm a geek. I love hearing Joe talk about his thought process when designing the combat system.

I definitely agree that there has been a bit to much attention paid to the "stars" instead of the actual gameplay designers. I would definitely like to hear more from both of them. At the same time, marketing wise, I completely understand why they are doing it the way they are with the Amazon videos.

i don't know about an ultimate weapon, this isn't Final Fantasy. But there are unique weapons and armor you can find out in the world as loot I think. Just have to explore and do quest.

it would be cool if it did. i always loved that aspect of taking on a journey or quest to find that lost unique weapon that everyone wants. the twinkle, the aegis fang, the charon's claw.. nothing like that eh?

Boss Man

FUCK, I want this. I'm getting some kind of Demon's Souls/Borderlands vibe of unexpected incredigaming that I can not help but give in to. With the way the game seems designed, the one thing that seems to be missing is some kind of creative online co-op element. Not MMO, but something.

I would ask how you could come to the conclusion that it is. Just looking at the map you can see it's a number of self-contained areas linked by paths. You can't just walk across the map, swim across that big river in the middle, etc... I mean if this is what you consider open world then what's an Elder Scrolls game?

fallingdove

Is there a list of fixes between the Demo and the Retail copy?

I have read in the 38 forums that the camera has been adjusted to zoom out faster to capture all of the enemies on screen but may have missed other details around the fixes.

goober

I want this game so bad. But I think if I can wait to get a better PC, I can buy it then, right?

40fps doesn't do this game justice.

Shit I'm so torn. I love me some Skyrim and I just started playing God of War III on the PS3 last night. Between the two, I am basically playing this... right?

... plus ME3 in a month...

someone clone me.

thetrin

it would be cool if it did. i always loved that aspect of taking on a journey or quest to find that lost unique weapon that everyone wants. the twinkle, the aegis fang, the charon's claw.. nothing like that eh?

No one really knows, honestly.

ReaperXL7

I would ask how you could come to the conclusion that it is. Just looking at the map you can see it's a number of self-contained areas linked by paths. You can't just walk across the map, swim across that big river in the middle, etc... I mean if this is what you consider open world then what's an Elder Scrolls game?

A broken sandbox?

thetrin

I don't understand how Todd McFarlane can be working on this, but the monster/enemy designs don't like like hack 90's bullshit.

Unlike Rob Liefeld, Todd McFarlane actually grew as an artist?

spirity

Article from Games Radar that is bound to stir the pot a bit, yet I can't disagree from what I have seen and played.

5 things Reckoning does better than Skyrim:

http://www.gamesradar.com/5-things-kingdoms-amalur-does-better-skyrim/

Sorry if already posted.

Yeah, I was expecting this.

Honestly, the gaming press apes the UK newspaper tabloid journalists. Hype the latest new thing, and when another new thing comes out, rag on the first thing and hype the second. Build em up and knock em down.

Astra

As it gets closer to release, the days slow down. It's like waiting for Christmas... times a million.

Great OT, by the way. As release draws near, I'm imposing an information blackout on myself. Too often something gets spoiled near release.
Hopefully I can stay away until after release.

thetrin

Think it's fair to say Todd's addition to the team was prompted by his toyline work and not his 90's comics stuff.

7th can't come soon enough. Can't wait!

McFarlane's toyline is his greatest contribution to pop culture. So much cooler than anything he did in comics.

Case in point:

242_jack2_photo_02_dp.jpg

Best figure ever.

I would consider Elder Scrolls to also be an open world game. GTA3 blocked off entire parts of the city until certain quests were done. I still consider that to be open world.

Top Bottom