• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Well I think the problem is just a question of how do you really show a game like this off to the press without just giving them the full game. There is so much to do, so many different ways to build your character that. It seems a difficult task to show it in a preview session. As for the. Big names. I got interested years ago when I found out todd. Was involved. Then the other names drew me in further.going to be interesting to see the difference between this and the mmo.

It's a fact that the bigger review sites like 1up barely take the time with huge RPG's. Just take a look at Skyrim for example.
That game got reviewed but there was not one notion of the terrible bugs that plagued it, let alone the framerate issues that are still present on the PS3.

If it were not for the gamers to complain no one would have even noticed anything.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Sigh, looks like I'm waiting until the camera and the LOD are fixed. I have no intention of buying a game on my PS3 or 360 if a PC version exists. I was soo hyped for it to :/

Amir0x

Banned
There is depth you can't imagine, from each race having it's own language, alphabet, music and color palette to every zone being hand crafted in BOTH games.

both games?

i haven't followed this stuff at all... is a sequel concurrently in development?

Atruvius

Oh man, only one week to go for us euros. I even bought some white wine which I'll be opening the minute I get the game on my hands. So excited.

Kem0sabe

Been playing the demo a bit more and i just cant get around the UI, unless its modded out in the future by the community i wont be buying this, not if the gameplay was akin to the second coming.

Seriously... the UI is an amateurish mess. Just makes me sad.

Anyways, my opinion.

Been playing the demo a bit more and i just cant get around the UI, unless its modded out in the future by the community i wont be buying this, not if the gameplay was akin to the second coming.

Anyways, my opinion.

It does its job a whole lot better than Skyrim in my opinion. It's not as stylished as said title, but it is the easiest one when it comes down to wearing armor and weapons on the fly.

Kem0sabe

It does its job a whole lot better than Skyrim in my opinion. It's not as stylished as said title, but it is the easiest one when it comes down to wearing armor and weapons on the fly.

You think the inventory management and menu navigation is easy in this game? Well, to each their own i guess.

alba

Little is the new Big
I hope it becomes modable in some sort of way, I'd love to work on the UI because I agree while it seems to work a bit better than skyrim, it's quite clunky in the looks department :)

Found the review score of German Gamepro. It's 85%.

Rough translation of the pro's and cons:

+Good story
+Some touches of Fable but with an adult theme
+Fast combat and tactics,
+Massive open world with great diversity in landscape
-Massive camera issues. Lack of overview.
-Some low-detail graphics
-Rare boss fights.

Sounds fair to say the least. The cons are hardly bad despite the camera issues.

Lain

Apart from needing a few too many clicks to get into the inventory, I haven't had many problems with it that I can remember. I think I had more of an annoyance with the Witcher 2 menu navigation than I did with the menu navigation in the demo for this game.

Kem0sabe

I also like way more than what skyrim is doing. Skyrim is a mess inventory wise.

Diferent beasts, Skyrim and KoA. The first is an open world sandbox rpg, the second is a "semi linear" action rpg more akin to Diablo than to Skyrim.

In Skyrim the need to mess with the inventory is reduced as loot drops with significance are less frequent. In KoA, you have the Diablo system of having shiny stuff constantly dropping forcing you to use the inventory management much more often.

The small demo of KoA´s inventory got on my nerves much quicker than playing 100+ hours of Skyrim ever did.

Edit: Sad to see that they didnt fix the camera, maybe the review is based on an older build? i remember the camera being unmanageable on the PS3, not a deal breaker, but it was very bad.

In Skyrim the need to mess with the inventory is reduced as loot drops with significance are less frequen

What??

I don't think there are games I mess with the inventory more than Elder Scrolls/Fallout.

And yeah Skyrim is pretty bad about it.

Don't exactly remember what the inventory was like in KoA since I only played the demo once, but I remember liking that it sorted the weapons properly.

Keikaku

Diferent beasts, Skyrim and KoA. The first is an open world sandbox rpg, the second is a "semi linear" action rpg more akin to Diablo than to Skyrim.

In Skyrim the need to mess with the inventory is reduced as loot drops with significance are less frequent. In KoA, you have the Diablo system of having shiny stuff constantly dropping forcing you to use the inventory management much more often.

The small demo of KoA´s inventory got on my nerves much quicker than playing 100+ hours of Skyrim ever did.

Edit: Sad to see that they didnt fix the camera, maybe the review is based on an older build? i remember the camera being unmanageable on the PS3, not a deal breaker, but it was very bad.
Skyrim requires a lot more inventory management for me. I'm constantly picking shit up to sell it off to vendors and every time that I need to use the inventory, it's a chore.

+Good story
-Rare boss fights.

Sounds fair to say the least. The cons are hardly bad despite the camera issues.
That's the last thing I wanted to hear. I'm especially picky about the camera in games. I thought they said they were going to fix it for the final build?

ElyrionX

Anyways, my opinion.

After watching the UI video posted earlier, I think the UI is going to be much more manageable with a 360 pad complemented by a kb/m setup. Since the kb has shortcuts to access screens like inventory directly, it's going to be a lot less clunky as compared to pad-only.

Don't exactly remember what the inventory was like in KoA since I only played the demo once, but I remember liking that it sorted the weapons properly.

This is one of the things I love about it.

In Skyrim I had to constantly scroll down and up in order to equip and unequip the weapons I wanted. It was searching for a sword in a weapons section where bows, daggers, swords, staffs and more had accumulated.

While I do agree the inventory of KoA looks a little outdated it does its work. It is a loot system I desire the most out of any type of RPG, just like Diablo. If a weapon is worth looking at the color is either green, blue, orange etc. Skyrim has none of this. I have to scroll down to each weapon to see the stats and it is so time consuming that you do get annoyed from time to time.

Kem0sabe

Skyrim requires a lot more inventory management for me. I'm constantly picking shit up to sell it off to vendors and every time that I need to use the inventory, it's a chore.

Selling was one thing, picking up loot that i actually needed and equipping might have been cumbersome but was way less frequent comparing the 2 games (im just extrapolating based on KoA´s demo).

Hopefully they will allow modding, but from what i read it wont be possible.

What made Skyrim a good time investment for me was the ability to mod out everything i disliked. Sadly KoA´s doesnt allow it, and my dislikes with the game are as valid as the ones that made me wait for Skyrim mods to fix things before i started playing it heavily.

That's the last thing I wanted to hear. I'm especially picky about the camera in games. I thought they said they were going to fix it for the final build?

Perhaps by launch patch? According to the things I read the devs from Amalur were pretty happy with the camera they created, but they are listening to their fanbase and are trying to create a viable option for it.

I myself had no issues with the camera despite the fact that it could be like 20% more zoomed out. It is not like the camera gets stuck behind objects or rotates out of control with a slight touch of the stick.

I can understand where PC gamers come from though. Considering how easy it is in a lot of games to have free control of the camera and be able to zoom out with the scroll function.

ParityBit

The "Trash" option is the best thing ever. I noticed that more often than not I only have a couple of things in each slot, so my inventory never gets super cluttered. I just mark stuff as trash that is ..... well trash.

Apart from needing a few too many clicks to get into the inventory, I haven't had many problems with it that I can remember. I think I had more of an annoyance with the Witcher 2 menu navigation than I did with the menu navigation in the demo for this game.

Yeah, really looking forward to the 360 version of Witcher 2. PC UI is horrid with a controller.

scy

By the time the demo hit the game was already done for retail. We may see something for an early patch. Also, there are some changes from the demo build to the retail build for the camera, though I think they're mostly fixing actual bugs/glitches with the camera.

Minus the few camera bugs during the demo (camera focus on exploded enemy parts in multi-tier environments, e.g., Grave Thresh area), the camera worked perfectly fine for me on PC with a 360 controller. Maybe a few oddities here and there with odd focus on far away enemies but it wasn't too terrible.

Not having control over it with KB/M would probably make me sad, though :x

Yeah, really looking forward to the 360 version of Witcher 2. PC UI is horrid with a controller.

Which was sad since I loved everything about The Witcher 2 more with a controller; the UI was just awful :/

I can not comment on the camera issues because I had no problem with it at all. I find the camera in this game to be a whole lot better then the one in Fable 2/3. That is saying a lot because I absolutely loathed that camera.

Minus the few camera bugs during the demo (camera focus on exploded enemy parts in multi-tier environments, e.g., Grave Thresh area), the camera worked perfectly fine for me on PC with a 360 controller. Maybe a few oddities here and there with odd focus on far away enemies but it wasn't too terrible.
Yeah, I'm certainly not in the camp that was calling it "unplayable" earlier, but it wasn't exactly great either. I think being able to adjust the zoom and angle will fix a lot of what made it feel cumbersome...I was just hoping they'd have it ready out the door rather than having to wait for a patch (bad memories of Uncharted 3 coming back to me).

The camera mostly became an issue for me indoors or close quarter scenarios (especially if you're using a range weapon). I went into town killing all the folks there, and when I entered a building, it'd often get caught in the zoom-in perspective and sort of became close to a first-person mode for me. Sometimes I could fix it by swapping out the staff and equipping the hammer to revert the camera back to normal. I'm guessing that's more of a bug though, which will hopefully be fixed by launch.

EDIT: I was playing on the PS3, btw. Not sure if that matters.

I really need to check out this demo. Finished Dark Souls and need something else to play and this looks pretty damn good from what I've seen. Great OP.

+Good story
-Rare boss fights.

I just never had any camera issues with my two trips into the demo. I can't see how the issues people are having would be called "massive". If anything, I think it is a matter of camera behavior preference and not of function for the most part.

@Kemosabe

How are you managing your inventory? At first I was kinda put off by it as well, but I found that evaluating loot as you pick it up is the easiest way to handle it. Compare anything with potential to your current gear, junk it if it's not worth using. This way you don't ever have to touch your inventory menu at all unless you want to switch stuff wholesale.

Also, using the collapsible menus helps TONS (looking at YOU Moves menu)

Sanjuro

Was surprised to hear you this morning Curt. I think you're the only person on the planet that could get away with that type of discussion with Callahan and not be endlessly mocked.

You may be seeing me on Monday night.

Truant

Consider my no-buy a protest against console stuff like LoD and pop-in in PC versions. Developers probably don't care about one lost sale, but I can't really do anything else about it.

I can not comment on the camera issues because I had no problem with it at all. I find the camera in this game to be a whole lot better then the one in Fable 2/3. That is saying a lot because I absolutely loathed that camera.

I really didn't have a problem with the camera in combat but was surprised the developers want you looking at the ground more than the beautiful world they created.

daedalius

Consider my no-buy a protest against console stuff like LoD and pop-in in PC versions. Developers probably don't care about one lost sale, but I can't really do anything else about it.

I really want to mock this.

Seems a bit hyperbolic to me.

What else can he do besides vote with his dollar?

Just the way it was said, voting with your dollar is smart; but I'm sure the devs would change it to be better on PC if they could, not buying it isn't going to change that.

Aesthet1c

I'm a little disappointed to hear that the boss fights are rare. Big boss battles with this combat system sounded amazing. I guess it's all relative to what Gamepro considers "rare".

ParityBit

I'm a little disappointed to hear that the boss fights are rare. Big boss battles with this combat system sounded amazing. I guess it's all relative to what Gamepro considers "rare".

Not concerned. Look at Diablo, there are not many. But there are rare mobs which are just as good (dunno if there are rare mobs in KoA).

AEREC

Any idea if there will be a "walk" button for K/M controls? It's absence in the demo felt kinda awkward.

daedalius

No way, the more bosses the better.

At least if they are all interesting to fight and have challenging mechanics. Punching bags need not apply.

I'm trusting my own judgement with this one and ignoring the reviews. I had a lot fun with a half baked demo and the real thing should be even better.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe the camera system is bad, in fact I find it to be ideal. I haven't yet experienced the problems others have had and I think any random issues can be tweaked & patched out. The fundamental core of the camera system is perfect IMO. And I really don't think this one should be knocked points for having zones instead of being like Skyrim. If that were the case for all games, Fable and Zelda both would have received lesser scores.

I kind of prefer how it is split up into zones as well, of course I've also been a pretty big wow fan... from time to time.

I'm trusting my own judgement with this one and ignoring the reviews. I had a lot fun with a half baked demo and the real thing should be even better.

I'm sorry but I just don't believe the camera system is bad, in fact I find it to be ideal. I haven't yet experienced the problems others have had and I think any random issues can be tweaked & patched out. The fundamental core of the camera system is perfect IMO. And I really don't think this one should be knocked points for having zones instead of being like Skyrim. If that were the case for all games, Fable and Zelda both would have received lesser scores.

ironcreed

Banned
The "Trash" option is the best thing ever. I noticed that more often than not I only have a couple of things in each slot, so my inventory never gets super cluttered. I just mark stuff as trash that is ..... well trash.

Not to mention you can sell it all at a vendor with the press of a button. However, what also rocks is the ability to compare loot as you are looting. "Hm, this is better than what I currently have equipped, let's swap it out, send this other stuff to the trash and sell the rest."... Boom, back in the game. No, it is nothing new, but it is very welcome all the same.

Amneisac

This has really got me in a pickle, I have a PC that can play it, or I can get it for 360. I usually would go PC, but it's cheaper on 360 and I could see this being an awesome comfy couch game (yes, I'm too lazy to move my PC across the house). I'm definitely getting it though, the demo seemed awesome, totally what I was looking for in a game.

Top Bottom